WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you have a go-to winery or brand?
  • 9.3% - Sure do! I trust them blindly. I’ll tell you more in the comments. 65
  • 32.5% - I have some I like, but I don’t really have a “brand” per se. It’s not like beer. 227
  • 17.7% - I look for wineries I know, sure. But I don’t get too specific with year and name and all that. 124
  • 11.7% - I just buy what my friend or spouse tells me to buy. It’s worked out so far. 82
  • 28.8% - Not, unless by “brand” you mean “red with steak.” 201
699 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

Georges Duboeuf, they've never done me wrong except for the occasional blah Nouveau.

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

Sure do. Michael David in Lodi. Don't just have 7 Deadly Zins and say "Meh", Have some Earthquake Zin or Sixth Sense Syrah or one of their high-end sins. Of course, their wines are New-World to the extreme, but some of us like that.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

"It's not like beer"!? JUST a moment you woot! Just because we are winos is no reason to be dis'in the fine craft of brewing! Hell, most of us will never be able to bring a wine to fruition, but every one of us could be a fine, craft, homebrewer.

After all, you need something besides wine to make it through the dog days of summer.

And let's not forget a well made cocktail! Like a gin martini shaken to waltz time!

Equal opportunity alcoholics! ;-)

Oh, and yes, Papapietro Perry can do no wrong. I would even break the SIWBM for some PPP 777 Clones Pinot. Hint hint hint! :-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

The one across the lake from me, I really wish they would put in a dock to make going there even easier.

jellybeank5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jellybeank5

Love v.sattui wine always get the off dry reisling

tiler100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100

Martín Codax

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Hawley. I have sampled bottles over a decade old as well as their younger bottlings. All good to great. Only blip was a chardonnay bottling which got a bit too old for my taste (5 years).

sumerland3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sumerland3

I have never been disappointed by Root 1 from Chile

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
jellybeank5 wrote:Love v.sattui wine always get the off dry reisling

I bought some of that from woot a couple years ago. Definitely enjoyed it, had a nice minerality to it.

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
tiler100 wrote:Martín Codax

I enjoyed their Albarino but haven't tried anything else, recommendations?

alyssal316

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alyssal316

If i like how the label looks then I will buy the wine. Never hurts to try something new!

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20
randysanders wrote:Sure do. Michael David in Lodi. Don't just have 7 Deadly Zins and say "Meh", Have some Earthquake Zin or Sixth Sense Syrah or one of their high-end sins. Of course, their wines are New-World to the extreme, but some of us like that.

Agreed, for the price his line up is actually pretty good. I pickup up his wines at a big discount when I find them.

For me, My go to is Wellington. I part of his club and when the wines are offered here I usually load up. His wines are always great for the price.

CT

canus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canus
randysanders wrote:Sure do. Michael David in Lodi. Don't just have 7 Deadly Zins and say "Meh", Have some Earthquake Zin or Sixth Sense Syrah or one of their high-end sins. Of course, their wines are New-World to the extreme, but some of us like that.

This ... Sixth Sense, Pettite Petit and even his brand new Cab are perfect for the casual grab a bottle on the way home from work

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
alyssal316 wrote:If i like how the label looks then I will buy the wine. Never hurts to try something new!

This. I figure any winery that picks a cool-looking artistic label has to be doing something I like...

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

A local vineyard we used to live near called Mac's Creek. Never tasted a wine there that I didn't like! If you are lucky to live in a state that allows you to, you know, actually BUY alcohol, you should check them out. I live in Utah now and can't buy jack - figuratively and literally!

lkwcpa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lkwcpa

A.J. Adam Rieslings are always delicious!

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Peter Wellington and Booker Vineyards.

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders
randysanders wrote:Sure do. Michael David in Lodi. Full disclosure - I'm in both of their wine clubs (Reds Only)

Hmmm, Nice that some of you agree., and you like Wellington. I've got some Wellingtons in the cellar that I've got to pull out and try. Oh! And what about Chappellet? Always yummy. I bought a case and a half of their Mountain Cuvee for $20/bottle...and the Signature Cab is totally "Napa".
Speaking of Napa Cabs: I like Turnbull and Brookdale a lot.
Oh, I could go on..........

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

I have a number that have been so consistently good across vintages that I trust them well enough to buy multiple bottles unreviewed and untasted: Stolpman and Tor (CA), Vincent Girardin's negociant Burgundies, Tariquet Rose and "Cote Tariquet" Chardonnay-Sauvignon Blanc (Cotes de Gascogne), Borsao Tres Picos (Campo de Borja Garnacha). The Tariquet and Tres Picos can be had for under $13 a bottle. The others I mentioned get into higher-priced territory, especially the Tor Cabernets and the smaller-production Girardin bottlings.

There are some others I didn't list above because they can be much harder to find - e.g., Vincent Ricard Trois Chenes and Point d'Interrogation Sauvignon Blanc (Touraine).