2011 St. Supéry Estate Napa Valley Moscato
CT link above
Winter Precautions: Ships in 3-5 Business Days
Delivered in time for Valentine's Day

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman

So I'm wondering if this is the same bottle molarchae and I got at the winery during the rpm tour. CT says North Coast Moscato but the label of this looks like the one I remember. Either way, it was definitely a St Supery Moscato. Slightly sweet, better acid than most Muscats but still a bit on the low side for my preferences. Very easy to drink and tastes kind of like wine candy, mostly in a good way. If you like off-dry Muscat then it's very likely you will enjoy this.

Edit: If you like the standard California Muscat - slightly sweet with a heavenly aroma and bright flavours you will also like this. It's also got a bit more complexity than most, which is why I'm on the fence for the SIWBM.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Victory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Crombie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Crombie

• Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.
  • [/quote]

This does not make sense to me. I get wine shipped from St. James Winery in Missouri all the time - why can they ship to me in Virginia, but Woot cannot/

chipgreen

quality posts: 153 Private Messages chipgreen
    Crombie wrote:
    This does not make sense to me. I get wine shipped from St. James Winery in Missouri all the time - why can they ship to me in Virginia, but Woot cannot/

That's why the link is there, it explains it.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sdfreedive

I'm not seeing the huge savings on this one guys. Wine-searcher is finding a lot of bottles at the sub $20 price. I've not gone into a lot of detail on which dealers have it in stock but suffice to say one of them should have it.

klezman

Crombie wrote:
  • Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.

• Read the thread Cesare linked to. The TLDR version is that they changed the laws and third-party marketing websites are no longer allowed to ship into VA unless they are agricultural cooperatives. Wineries can still ship directly, if they have the license. So you can always try to talk to the winery offline and see if they'll give you the deal if you purchase directly from them. Otherwise your only recourse is to write your congresspeople.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Victory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
    2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 153 Private Messages chipgreen

Loved St. Supery's Sauv Blanc, don't remember if we tasted the Moscato on tour but here is a tasting note from the St. Supery website;

2011 NAPA VALLEY ESTATE MOSCATO

92 points, "Top 100 Wines of 2012", Wine & Spirits Magazine. Vibrant young hues of pale yellow and green present this wine. Opulent tropical aromas combine with peach, mango, kiwi, orange and lime zest. Explosive flavors follow with similar kiwi and mango, a hint of honey dew, stone fruit and a zippy orange rind finish. This sweet wine is terrific, rich and exciting, finishing clean and balanced. Enjoy!

klezman

sdfreedive wrote:I'm not seeing the huge savings on this one guys. Wine-searcher is finding a lot of bottles at the sub $20 price. I've not gone into a lot of detail on which dealers have it in stock but suffice to say one of them should have it.

The North Coast is cheaper and easier to come by than the Napa. Plus, if you're closer to a store that can sell it for less after you take into account your time, taxes, and gas, then by all means purchase it there.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I don't remember tasting this on the RPM newbie tour. I didn't even know that there was much Moscato in Napa, but I guess that's changing since it is getting so popular lately.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

trismic

quality posts: 5 Private Messages trismic

My wine of choice is usually a thick rich red. But every five bottles or so I like to clear my palate with a nice bottle of Muscat Canelli. St Supery has never disappointed me, so I'm in for two.

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

Nothing you can't buy in the store for less.

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim

I was excited because this sounds like what my wife would love, and help me stay out of trouble considering how full I've been filling it But I'd rather pick it up locally, and it would still be less expensive.

Bummer.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 2561 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Video review from stsupery over at youtube

ageedoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ageedoy

very nice. this is the price i get it for as a moscato club member from them. just went to a barrel tasting there last weekend. beautiful wines from a beautiful winery.

badgegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badgegirl

As a former member of the Moscato Club at St. Supery, this is a very decent Moscato, but by no means worth $20/bottle. I joined when it cost only $14/bottle for members, but when it went up to the current $20+ I had to say good-bye. You can get many much better moscato's for half the price. Don't be a fool at this price.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm sure this is a great wine, but I agree, the price is steep and the discount just isn't there. Despite woot's fun and whimsical discount calculation which makes this seem like a deal at 35% off, it is still only 20% off per bottle before the fun calculatons begin. That's generally at or above wine club pricing, which IMHO is not worthy of a daily deal offering.

I can also find lots of Moscoto I really enjoy in the $10-15 dollar range. While I know these guys make great wines, this one seems like a tough sell at this price.

My CT
    "Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
    R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

I love St Supery Moscato yet I'm a dry red wine fan - only 460 bottles in the basement with another 430 consumed since finding WW. I just bought two bottles of 2011 before Christmas when a great lady at Beuhler's called their distributor for me. I paid $20 each plus local Medina, OH tax. She stated as earlier written as a 92 rating for the 2011. I like the wine because it has just the right amount of sweetness, yet a nice clean fruit profile. It's not syrupy sweet, but extremely balance. Although I drank it during Christmas time frame, I didn't take notes since I've had it before. I also heard that the wine was going up $4 in January, but that could just be a State of Ohio pricing thing. Ohio sets pricing. In December everything was on sale!! I've also had St Supery Savignon Blanc, Elu and Virtu. All very good balanced wines. I would jump on this if I couldn't get it here, but the price is so close to what I have found locally. I hate how WW calculates savings. I wish they would go back to the original cost of the wine versus the price on WW. Leave shipping, etc. out of it. Not liking the Woot sites since Amazon got involved - it's like a flea market now! JMHO!

dollface74128

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dollface74128

This doesn't look like the same label as the St. Supery Moscato I've bought in the past...so it's possible that they have two varieties. But the one I've bought is readily available for less than $20 a bottle at my area liquor stores. Not that I could order this even if I wanted to...stupid backwards Oklahoma laws.

fuzi719

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fuzi719

I'm surprised the Real Housewives of Atlanta haven't snapped all these up already.

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower
    badgegirl wrote:As a former member of the Moscato Club at St. Supery, this is a very decent Moscato, but by no means worth $20/bottle. I joined when it cost only $14/bottle for members, but when it went up to the current $20+ I had to say good-bye. You can get many much better moscato's for half the price. Don't be a fool at this price.

Could not agree more!

bigyellowdawgmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigyellowdawgmom

I had this Moscato several years ago- one of the best I'd ever had. It was pretty expensive and I can't get it in my area so I am seriously considering getting 3 bottles. If the 2011 is as good as what I had several years ago- go for it!

cameronpurdy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cameronpurdy

This one is an excellent desert wine. Sweet but not syrupy. It's the "granny smith apple" of California Moscatos.

The price isn't bad (it's about the same as what I pay for it by the case), but if you're not in the bay area (and not in the St. Supery wine club), then this is a good price and the $5 shipping should be enough to close the deal!

Now, let's see where they can actually ship to ...

cameronpurdy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cameronpurdy
    badgegirl wrote:As a former member of the Moscato Club at St. Supery, this is a very decent Moscato, but by no means worth $20/bottle. I joined when it cost only $14/bottle for members, but when it went up to the current $20+ I had to say good-bye. You can get many much better moscato's for half the price. Don't be a fool at this price.

I don't agree, and -- since my wife only drinks sweet wines -- I get _lots_ of chances to taste a wide range of Moscatos.

While it is over-priced, so is almost any wine worth drinking! If they tried to set the price at $14 again, they wouldn't have enough to go around -- and that's exactly what happened for a few years at St. Supery (for a while I couldn't source it there if I didn't order early enough!)

rckwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckwoot

My wife will enjoy this, the price is reasonable, it will get delivered to the door, and I won't need to stop and search the local store... in for one and maybe more. Thank you for shipping to CT!

Keffer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Keffer

This St. Supery Moscato is not available in stores around the country. This is the 2011 Napa Valley Estate version, and was sold only through the winery. For the 2011 vintage, we also made a North Coast Moscato for nationwide distribution. This Napa Valley wine in particular was named Best Moscato of 2012 by Wine & Spirits Magazine. It's divine!

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
    Keffer wrote:This St. Supery Moscato is not available in stores around the country. This is the 2011 Napa Valley Estate version, and was sold only through the winery. For the 2011 vintage, we also made a North Coast Moscato for nationwide distribution. This Napa Valley wine in particular was named Best Moscato of 2012 by Wine & Spirits Magazine. It's divine!

Well that should shut up 3/4 of the comments made so far.

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim
    scott0210 wrote:Well that should shut up 3/4 of the comments made so far.

I'm in. :-D

Ok, I'm actually in for 2 based on guilt, and that is sounds good.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fredrinaldi

lotta whites this week, good thing cause I'm outa room, received 15 bottles from the last WW yesterday

Keffer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Keffer

Moscato Cocktail recipe tested multiple times at the winery...
    "Sophisticated Lady" Playful version of a Cosmopolitan:
    1.5 oz vodka
    1.5 oz St. Supery Moscato
    .5 oz Cranberry juice
    .5 oz triple sec
    shake on ice, pour into martini glass, garnish w lime wedge

msharkin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages msharkin

I stinking love this moscato. Best ever. For brunch, serve chilled, but use a half cup to sauteed your chicken apple sausage and fennel.

My word, it's delightful.