2007 Diablita Red Cole Ranch AVA Wine
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/28/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Another one that the Austin group should be posting about.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
ThunderThighs wrote:Another one that the Austin group should be posting about.

Good lord they didn't have to bring any wine to that gathering

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

ThunderThighs

Staff

tytiger58 wrote:Good lord they didn't have to bring any wine to that gathering

We were getting some looks and a couple snarky remarks from others in the restaurant about the 24 people with about 24 bottles of wine. LOL.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta
ThunderThighs wrote:We were getting some looks and a couple snarky remarks from others in the restaurant about the 24 people with about 24 bottles of wine. LOL.

That seems like a perfectly reasonable 1:1 ratio.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Had the Diablita Red for Thanksgiving, very nice. I'm a sucker for all things WootZin, so this was a no-brainer.

In for one.

ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:That seems like a perfectly reasonable 1:1 ratio.

Maybe it was all the passing back-n-forth. Who has number 8? I haven't seen number 8 yet. Pass number 4. I want another taste of that. What's this one? Have I tried this one? Crap, forgot to write my notes.

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I have a feeling this was at hallowoot... If I remember it was the red label, and I liked it. Decent every day drinker, and if my memory serves me right, I wrote down it reminded me of a bag of Doritos.

Neal K Bharadwaj

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Good wines, and the people who produce it are good people. There's nothing pretentious about this wine. It's a fun wine that goes well with all sorts of grilled foods.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
nealkb wrote:I have a feeling this was at hallowoot... If I remember it was the red label, and I liked it. Decent every day drinker, and if my memory serves me right, I wrote down it reminded me of a bag of Doritos.

We did have the red blend at the hallowoot tasting. My notes said good acidity, big black cherry, blackberry; spicy nose and palate. I also remember the tannins being soft. So, it's very approachable now.

Doritos? Really?! ...Spicier nacho or ranch?

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

The Diablita Red is a great daily drinker and goes really well with food. We had it at the Austin gathering. It's a nice blend with soft tannins. Very approachable and ready to drink now. On the nose, I got some ripe dark fruits and a hint of spice. On the palate, dark cherries and some pepper. My friend and I belong to the club at Everett Ridge and liked this enough that we bought more when it came up on woot the last time.

Edit: My tasting notes are not from Austin but from previous tastings. I was trying to save myself for the wines I hadn't tried.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

hokiedevil

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hokiedevil

We tried the Diablita Red 2007 at the Austin gathering.

My notes: Nice dry red with good tannins. Flavors of blackberry and strawberry on the palate.

Wife's notes: Fruity and earthy with a nice finish.

Both of us liked this one.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

We tasted the red blend at the Chicago gathering back in October. As others have stated, it has softer tannins, nice dark fruits and is very approachable. I purchased the offering in late October and enjoyed this with everything from simple pasta dishes to pizza or just as an evening sipper. A great wine for everyday drinking.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

I havent had the red but went in on the white diablita a while back. Though i did not like it at first since the blend, reisling and SB, is predominantly the former and thus a bit too sweet for my tatse, it grew on me and I have come to enjoy the remaining bottles. It is a WELL made wine and would venture to say the red and zin are as well. Everett Ridge makes great wines IMO.

"The older I get the better I was"

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

The Diablita Red was my favorite blend at the Austin tasting. I don't have my notes, but I think I gave it an 8/10. It has a great meatiness to it which I'm assuming is from the Syrah component.

If someone from the winery is on this forum, can we get more details on the exact blend on this wine?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

skisterling

quality posts: 19 Private Messages skisterling
pcuccaro wrote:The Diablita Red is a great daily drinker and goes really well with food. We had it at the Austin gathering. It's a nice blend with soft tannins. Very approachable and ready to drink now. On the nose, I got some ripe dark fruits and a hint of spice. On the palate, dark cherries and some pepper. My friend and I belong to the club at Everett Ridge and liked this enough that we bought more when it came up on woot the last time.

Thanks for the good vibes about Diablita wines. They were designed to be a fun everyday drinker made from single vineyard varietals. The red is a blend of soft Cole Ranch Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, perfect for that smooth red sauce, and pizza. The Zina, is a grilling and pizza dream. Enjoy with those Superbowl parties. If you are looking for a well balanced Zinfandel for those true Zinfandel lovers this is an outstanding bottle for a relatively small price! Sonoma Zin? Sold!

Edit: My tasting notes are not from Austin but from previous tastings. I was trying to save myself for the wines I hadn't tried.

skisterling

redwinefan wrote:The Diablita Red was my favorite blend at the Austin tasting. I don't have my notes, but I think I gave it an 8/10. It has a great meatiness to it which I'm assuming is from the Syrah component.

If someone from the winery is on this forum, can we get more details on the exact blend on this wine?

ok, here are some of our wine geek details!
Diablita is the one. An irresistible combination of Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah--she has everything you want in one package, screw-cap and all. Gorgeous yet accessible; complex but not complicated; intense but not overpowering; stylish yet unpretentious; mature but playful. She is soft and smooth, like a caress. When she enters she glides; when she exits, she leaves a lasting impression.

Now the real nerdy stuff...

ph 3.80 TA 6.15 Alc% 14.9 to keep you warm on those cold winter nights....

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
skisterling wrote:ok, here are some of our wine geek details!
Diablita is the one. An irresistible combination of Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah--she has everything you want in one package, screw-cap and all. Gorgeous yet accessible; complex but not complicated; intense but not overpowering; stylish yet unpretentious; mature but playful. She is soft and smooth, like a caress. When she enters she glides;
when she exits, she leaves a lasting impression.

Now the real nerdy stuff...

ph 3.80 TA 6.15 Alc% 14.9 to keep you warm on those cold winter nights....

Thanks for info. Are you afgiliated with winery? If so, thanks or jumping on board. So, what is the percentage per varietal in the red? Is the zin 100% ? Also, do ypu mind sharing the % of reisling/sauv blanc in the white blend? Thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

skisterling

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for info. Are you afgiliated with winery? If so, thanks or jumping on board. So, what is the percentage per varietal in the red? Is the zin 100% ? Also, do ypu mind sharing the % of reisling/sauv blanc in the white blend? Thanks!

Yes, I do marketing for our brands. I pulled the info from our winemaker notes and tech sheets. I am sure our winemaker has the specific %'s but we do not concentrate on that when we make our blends. We blend to taste from vintage to vintage so that there is consistency in the flavor profile. Like any significant culinary endeavor, taste is king!

The Zina is all Zin. We started in the business as farmers, grape growers. Our winemaking reflects our single vineyards and sites in specifics regions of Sonoma and our Cole Ranch AVA.

Our sites are sustainably grown sites and we use natural yeast strains whenever possible. These wines are true expressions of the various vineyard sites. Very rare at these price points.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
ajrod27 wrote:We did have the red blend at the hallowoot tasting. My notes said good acidity, big black cherry, blackberry; spicy nose and palate. I also remember the tannins being soft. So, it's very approachable now.

We did, but I cleaned up the office yesterday and tossed my tasting notes from then. I figured we'd seen everything from that tasting at least once by now.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

billmoore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmoore

Was this offered late last year in a combo? We had a woot zin in a combo that was loved can't remmber if this is it.

Please help me wooters!

skisterling

billmoore wrote:Was this offered late last year in a combo? We had a woot zin in a combo that was loved can't remmber if this is it.

Please help me wooters!

Not the Zina.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

skisterling wrote:Yes, I do marketing for our brands. I pulled the info from our winemaker notes and tech sheets. I am sure our winemaker has the specific %'s but we do not concentrate on that when we make our blends. We blend to taste from vintage to vintage so that there is consistency in the flavor profile. Like any significant culinary endeavor, taste is king!

The Zina is all Zin. We started in the business as farmers, grape growers. Our winemaking reflects our single vineyards and sites in specifics regions of Sonoma and our Cole Ranch AVA.

Our sites are sustainably grown sites and we use natural yeast strains whenever possible. These wines are true expressions of the various vineyard sites. Very rare at these price points.

Welcome Steve! The Sterling family is responsible for the Esterlina Riesling, the Everett Ridge Zins, and these Diablita wines. Much appreciated!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:Welcome Steve! The Sterling family is responsible for the Esterlina Riesling, the Everett Ridge Zins, and these Diablita wines. Much appreciated!

Those Esterlina's were, are, drinking nicely.

CT

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
ajrod27 wrote:We did have the red blend at the hallowoot tasting. My notes said good acidity, big black cherry, blackberry; spicy nose and palate. I also remember the tannins being soft. So, it's very approachable now.

Ranch, I really enjoyed it.

Neal K Bharadwaj

lkwcpa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lkwcpa
rjquillin wrote:Those Esterlina's were, are, drinking nicely.

+1

Not to take away from this offering, but I really really want more Esterlina!