2006 Domaine Degher Mojo Red Blend, Paso Robles
2007 Domaine Degher Mojo Red Blend, Paso Robles
2008 Domaine Degher Mojo Red Blend, Paso Robles
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

This may be stretching the term vertical beyond its intent.
The only similarities these wines share is the name on the bottle.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Should hear from some Austin folks as they tried the 2008 from this selection.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:This may be stretching the term vertical beyond its intent.

Didn't it used to be 'only the names have been changed to protect the innocent'?

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

And the hits keep coming.... I don't think I can afford this site much longer.

Denis makes great wine! Awesome guy too. All small lots here. The mojo's I have had (06 & 07) are both big, bold, juicy wines with lots of structure. Decant for many hours or drink day 2.

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
cortot20 wrote:This may be stretching the term vertical beyond its intent.

All of them are cab syrah blends, with the 07 having some Grenache blended in. A stretch maybe, but not much different than say a tablas esprit or similar house blends.

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer
trifecta wrote:All of them are cab syrah blends, with the 07 having some Grenache blended in. A stretch maybe, but not much different than say a tablas esprit or similar house blends.

Yes, but one is bare majority Syrah, another is a 1:1:1 blend, and the third is 2:1 Cabernet. They're very different blends. The usual appeal of a vertical is tasting the terroir and how the weather of different years changes the grapes.

I mean, it sounds marvelous, if a bit rich for my blood (stupid academia - still haven't gotten my first paycheck for the new semester), but I raise an eyebrow at "vertical" too.

domainedegher

quality posts: 10 Private Messages domainedegher

It's a beautiful misty morning up here atop the Old School Vineyard at Domaine Degher. Before I jump on the Kubota and see what the nice rain did, I wanted to say - Good Morning Wooterville!

Regarding the 3 Mojo blends in the offering, I made them all in my minimalistic manner of less is more intervention. They're all handcrafted to complete dryness in small lots in open top fermenters and punched down by hand by yours truly. They are then blended after several blind tastings with my winemaking and drinking friends.

I then put the blend together to express my wine making vision and style at Domaine Degher. I recommend decanting for an hour or more before enjoying these elegant and big wines.

Salud! Denis Degher

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

We tasted the 2008 blend at the Austin get together and this was the favorite of the group I was sitting with (me included!). I was very surprised to see the blend was 67% cab because the Syrah came through loud and clear. My tasting notes are slim (this was our 9th wine) but I noted spicy, pepper and a long finish. I'm really looking forward to trying the other blends as well. In for 2.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

hokiedevil

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hokiedevil

Had the opportunity to enjoy the 2008 vintage at the Austin gathering.

Both my wife and I thought it was pretty unique. I got notes of bold fruit up front and a smooth almost buttery finish.

At the end of the day it was not necessarily our favorite, so we will be passing on this offer.

If you are a big fan of Cab-Syrah blends, then I would say you won't be disappointed.

I have found over the years that I usually prefer Cab by itself or in Bordeaux blends and Syrah by itself or in a Rhone blend. To each his own

chefee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chefee

I really love Mojo blends as they are very food friendly and versatile. They are great with food and as a chef on the Central Coast I've had the opportunity to pair all of these fine wines on more than one occasion.

I can't really say which I prefer the most, but I can say they are all complex and delicious.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Welcome Denis. Always good to see Paso Robles in the Woot house. Big, Paso 'Rhone meets Bordeaux' wines here, along the lines of L'Aventure's Estate Cuvée & Optimus blends (Denis & L'Aventure's Stephan Asseo are pals).

If Denis pops back in, perhaps he can comment on why the change of varietals and the blend between the three vintages?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

domainedegher

neilfindswine wrote:Welcome Denis. Always good to see Paso Robles in the Woot house. Big, Paso 'Rhone meets Bordeaux' wines here, along the lines of L'Aventure's Estate Cuvée & Optimus blends (Denis & L'Aventure's Stephan Asseo are pals).

If Denis pops back in, perhaps he can comment on why the change of varietals and the blend between the three vintages?

Hi Neil, the truth is that when I look out over my vineyard, I see Cab Sauvignon (2 clones), Syrah, Grenache Noir, and Mourvedre. Therefore, it's only natural that I want to blend from Rhone and Cab varietals as they are a perfect reflection of who I am as a winemaker.

In Paso Robles - our diverse soils and micro climates allow us to have a very large varietal palette. As an experimenter, it's a pleasure to be try new blends and not be locked into one varietal or blend.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Opened a bottle of Salexis Reserve last night, wish I had bought a case rather than just 4, Holy Moley thats some good wine !

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

Hey guys, check out my new wine blog: www.thefermentedfruit.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

domainedegher wrote:Hi Neil, the truth is that when I look out over my vineyard, I see Cab Sauvignon (2 clones), Syrah, Grenache Noir, and Mourvedre. Therefore, it's only natural that I want to blend from Rhone and Cab varietals as they are a perfect reflection of who I am as a winemaker.

In Paso Robles - our diverse soils and micro climates allow us to have a very large varietal palette. As an experimenter, it's a pleasure to be try new blends and not be locked into one varietal or blend.

Understood-was there a particular reason you used Grenache in '07, but not in '06 or '08?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

domainedegher

neilfindswine wrote:Understood-was there a particular reason you used Grenache in '07, but not in '06 or '08?

I had a good source for Grenache that year and after trials, the blend proved excellent. There is not 2009 Mojo, but the 2010 is Cab, Grenache and Mourvedre.

jonboy74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonboy74

I jumped on one of the last Domaine Degher deals and was quite impressed with the wines. I've been waiting for these to make another appearance.