samiratou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou

I think we'll bring Surly Pentagram and a bottle of Opolo Rhapsody. We've also got a Cote du Rhone that's been kicking around the cellar for awhile and could stand an opening.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

excited to join you guys.
contemplating what to bring since most woot-wines are likely well known already to many of you?
hmmmm...

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
andreaserben wrote:excited to join you guys.
contemplating what to bring since most woot-wines are likely well known already to many of you?
hmmmm...

I'm in the same exact boat. I'm excited to make it to one of these events finally, but I'm not sure what I should bring. I'm thinking I might bring some cheese since my wine collection doesn't contain anything spectacular like some of the wines that have mentioned so far.

andreaserben

coolchris160 wrote:I'm in the same exact boat. I'm excited to make it to one of these events finally, but I'm not sure what I should bring. I'm thinking I might bring some cheese since my wine collection doesn't contain anything spectacular like some of the wines that have mentioned so far.

I am thinking I might bring one of the few non-woot (and non Trader Joe's) wines that I have around that I never had wanted to open... likely something from Europe. Might not be a great wine, but if it is educational, that would also be valuable.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
andreaserben wrote:I am thinking I might bring one of the few non-woot (and non Trader Joe's) wines that I have around that I never had wanted to open... likely something from Europe. Might not be a great wine, but if it is educational, that would also be valuable.

In addition to the Iron Horse Cab Franc (a Woot wine), I'll be bringing a Spanish wine I picked up a year or two ago. Variety is good, especially if we can get away with calling it educational!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

hdavis4000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdavis4000

Wow!! Looks like we are going to have a great turn out! I do plan on having BBQ pulled chicken and some sort of a salad available along with everything else others are bringing to munch on.
Getting excited to get everyone together! Any questions, just let me know!

"Wine is bottled poetry." -Robert Louis Stevenson

andreaserben

coynedj wrote:In addition to the Iron Horse Cab Franc (a Woot wine), I'll be bringing a Spanish wine I picked up a year or two ago. Variety is good, especially if we can get away with calling it educational!

I am 'recontemplating' bringing that wine I was thinking about. It is a bit too much on the low end perhaps and has not been stored properly... hmmmmm

Have you guys had the "Mirage - Fizzy not bad cab" they sold last year and earlier this year? Definitely a conversation piece how it develops once the fizz is gone (= needs decanting).
Maybe I should just post a list of my woot purchases to see if someone is like 'I always wanted to try that!' - lol

coynedj

hdavis4000 wrote:We will be starting this party at 5:30pm. If anyone needs directions or my address, just let me know! Can't wait to see everyone again

Don't drink the top stuff first - I'll probably be getting there a little late.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n
coynedj wrote:Don't drink the top stuff first - I'll probably be getting there a little late.

I am driving Andreas up with myself and we will be there a little late also as I am going to Midwest Supplies to get some ingredients. That and if he isn't a serial killer and stabs me in the car since nobody has met him.

I have my 2 bottles of Darkness for the vertical, a bottle of 2005 Noceto Marmeletta, some various homebrew beers, and my food will be a pineapple/jalapeno combo wrapped in venison and then grilled.

Alaska1, I also brought a 4-pack of beers for you. We never connected about a trade but bringing some just in case. 2012 Burbon County, 2012 Founders IS, 2012 Founders Backwoods Bastard, and a 2012 Big Eddy IS.

pengu1n

Re: Surly vertical. I may sound like a jackass bringing this up, but I'd like to be able to set aside some time to do this correctly where we (the people supplying the bottles, Alaska1, and whomever I am missing) can get together and sit down and get a couple ounces of each and compare them side by side. It sounds like there will be a housefull of people, and it would be a shame not to do a proper tasting of these bottles (standing in the kitchen or livingroom). I am not saying that we guzzle it all ourselves, but let the people creating the vertical have first dibs...if you understand where I am coming from.

Heather, do you have some smaller plastic cups for this or would you like me to pick some up? I figure some of those clear punch cups you see at weddings/graduations would work perfect.

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1
pengu1n wrote:Re: Surly vertical. I may sound like a jackass bringing this up, but I'd like to be able to set aside some time to do this correctly where we (the people supplying the bottles, Alaska1, and whomever I am missing) can get together and sit down and get a couple ounces of each and compare them side by side. It sounds like there will be a housefull of people, and it would be a shame not to do a proper tasting of these bottles (standing in the kitchen or livingroom). I am not saying that we guzzle it all ourselves, but let the people creating the vertical have first dibs...if you understand where I am coming from.

Heather, do you have some smaller plastic cups for this or would you like me to pick some up? I figure some of those clear punch cups you see at weddings/graduations would work perfect.

Sounds great to me!!

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

andreaserben

Currently thinking to bring the 2008 Vino Noceto Riserva 2008 Sangiovese selling on Woot Plus right now http://wine.woot.com/offers/vino-noceto-riserva-sangiovese-3 to give the group a chance to taste and decide if to order...
and also bring a bottle of the
Mirage 2009 "No Bad Fizzy Cab"
http://wine.woot.com/offers/mirage-not-bad-fizzy-cab-12
since there was a lot of conversation and some controversy about the fizzyness in it.

Food, I got an assortment of cheese yesterday, might also bring some dark German chocolates (over 70% cocoa) to have with the wine.

I am also considering to bring a decanter for logistics reasons (the Mirage would need to be decanted quite a bit).

andreaserben

pengu1n wrote:I am driving Andreas up with myself and we will be there a little late also as I am going to Midwest Supplies to get some ingredients. That and if he isn't a serial killer and stabs me in the car since nobody has met him.

Muahahahahaaaaa *evil laughter*

hdavis4000

pengu1n wrote:Re: Surly vertical. I may sound like a jackass bringing this up, but I'd like to be able to set aside some time to do this correctly where we (the people supplying the bottles, Alaska1, and whomever I am missing) can get together and sit down and get a couple ounces of each and compare them side by side. It sounds like there will be a housefull of people, and it would be a shame not to do a proper tasting of these bottles (standing in the kitchen or livingroom). I am not saying that we guzzle it all ourselves, but let the people creating the vertical have first dibs...if you understand where I am coming from.

I have cups, not clear plastic ones though. If you want clear ones pick some up! See you guys when you get here!

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Hope you guys have fun! Sorry that we can't make it.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

coolchris160

Unfortunately I am home already. I had a great time though and it was a pleasure to meet all of you. I'm already looking forward to the next MN gathering! I will post the pictures once I get them uploaded online. Thank you to all those who attended and brought food/cheese/chocolates/wine/beer to share. And thanks to Heather & Patrick for hosting the event. I think everyone had a great time!

Thanks,
Chris K.

coolchris160

I have more photos to come, but that's it for now.

tcklord

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcklord

Thanks for hosting Patrick and Heather we had a great time! Was nice seeing everyone again and meeting some new people.

334 bottles from Wine.woot
17 Normal Woot
4 Sellout Woot

pengu1n

My head hurts.

chipgreen

quality posts: 201 Private Messages chipgreen

Nice pics! How was that Dogfish Head Noble Rot? And the IH Cab Franc?

pengu1n

chipgreen wrote:Nice pics! How was that Dogfish Head Noble Rot? And the IH Cab Franc?

The IH had a really green smell to it, but tasted delicious.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
coolchris160 wrote:I have more photos to come, but that's it for now.

Good to see you didn't have to use those cheezie red cups.

Looks like a merry time was, or could have been, had by all!

CT

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

Foiled again!
Looking forward to finally seeing you guys again next time around. hdavis4000, Thanks for putting yourselves out there to host -- hope a good time was had and the house is still in one piece!

Edit: scrolling through this thread, saw lots of black squares. Wonder whether MN has more woot oenophiles, percentage wise, than other states.

Or, is it our long cold winters and we just like to drink.

andreaserben

Thanks all for such a great time and to our hosts for being such great people.

Thanks to pengu1n for driving!

Whoever comes through the SE part of the state, please stop by to share some nice juice

I just stocked up on the fizzy "Mirage" btw. If someone wants a few bottles - let me know.

andreaserben

btw. the Chardonnay we had is on sale right now - chime in with what you think about it.

hdavis4000

Thanks to everyone who came! We had a great turnout. It was great to see the "regulars" but also to meet some new wooters in the area. Hope to see everyone again soon!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Spent our weekend in the Twin Cities in the great state of Minnesota. Wish I would have time to jump in at the last minute. Nice thing, I knew that I would be welcome.

And the bar we were drinking beer at was sold out of Surly. That is criminal.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

travelista

quality posts: 0 Private Messages travelista
hdavis4000 wrote:Thanks to everyone who came! We had a great turnout. It was great to see the "regulars" but also to meet some new wooters in the area. Hope to see everyone again soon!

My first Woot-up! Had a fantastic time meeting everyone, thanks again Heather for organizing.

andreaserben

btw. if you guys are interested in double/triple/quadruple splitting a case sometimes, let me know. e.g. the Cycle Gladiator from Hahn right now up on woot... I cannot justify ordering a full case for myself. Would also be willing to trade with something of comparable value (e.g. for this offer the 'fizzy Mirage' would be in a similar woot-price-range) if someone is interested.

coynedj

Finally got back to my computer - it was great to see everybody on Friday. That was a lot of wine and a lot of beer!

andreaserben

Did anybody make a list of all the names/vintages of the wines we had?

coolchris160

andreaserben wrote:Did anybody make a list of all the names/vintages of the wines we had?

If not, the high res photos I took can help us create a list.

???? Pasquale Pelissero Muffato "Stramej" Italian Dessert Wine
???? Scott Harvey InZINerator Zinfandel
2000 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon
2003 Opolo Rhapsody Paso Robles
2004 Bodegas Almanseñas Adaras
2004 Brunello di Montalcino
2005 Iron Horse Cabernet Franc
2005 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Marmellata
2005 Wellington Victory Reserve
2007 Page Syrah
2007 Wellington Zinfandel Meeks Hilltop Ranch
2008 Alexeli Riesling
2008 Chappellet Mountain Cuvee
2008 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Riserva
2009 Mirage Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Not Bad Fizzy Cab)
2009 Seghesio Home Ranch Zinfandel
2010 Alexeli Riesling
2010 Cameron Hughes CA Field Blend "Lot 321"
2010 Twenty Rows Chardonnay

I know there were a few empty bottles by the time I got there. So everyone please feel free to fill in the gaps.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

Yikes, what a list! How many wooters?

CT

coolchris160

rjquillin wrote:Yikes, what a list! How many wooters?

Around 20 I think (give or take a few.)

andreaserben

coolchris160 wrote:Around 20 I think (give or take a few.)

Probably about 10 "wooter"-IDs, but then significant others and co-workers brought it up to 20 (18-25) 'grown ups' sipping adult juice and indulging in a premium beer vertical and a smaller bunch of little monsters (<10) getting a sugar rush

coolchris160

andreaserben wrote:Probably about 10 "wooter"-IDs, but then significant others and co-workers brought it up to 20 (18-25) 'grown ups' sipping adult juice and indulging in a premium beer vertical and a smaller bunch of little monsters (<10) getting a sugar rush

Don't forget the delicious cheeses & chocolates ;)

hdavis4000

coolchris160 wrote:If not, the high res photos I took can help us create a list.

???? Pasquale Pelissero Muffato "Stramej" Italian Dessert Wine
???? Scott Harvey InZINerator Zinfandel
2000 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon
2003 Opolo Rhapsody Paso Robles
2004 Bodegas Almanseñas Adaras
2004 Brunello di Montalcino
2005 Iron Horse Cabernet Franc
2005 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Marmellata
2005 Wellington Victory Reserve
2007 Page Syrah
2007 Wellington Zinfandel Meeks Hilltop Ranch
2008 Alexeli Riesling
2008 Chappellet Mountain Cuvee
2008 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Riserva
2009 Mirage Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Not Bad Fizzy Cab)
2009 Seghesio Home Ranch Zinfandel
2010 Alexeli Riesling
2010 Cameron Hughes CA Field Blend "Lot 321"
2010 Twenty Rows Chardonnay

I know there were a few empty bottles by the time I got there. So everyone please feel free to fill in the gaps.

The Inzinerator was a 2004