dmatich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmatich

Perfect timing...tasted the wines in Los Angeles last night, and I get to buy some tonight.

Great to meet you, Larry! Looking forward to these.

Drew

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
tytiger58 wrote:Hmmm bromance, NTTAWWT. Anyway good to see Larrys wine up here!

Heck, nothing wrong with a little bromance . . . In fact, Neil's gonna buy me a drink in a few weeks!!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

dmatich wrote:Perfect timing...tasted the wines in Los Angeles last night, and I get to buy some tonight.

Great to meet you, Larry! Looking forward to these.

Drew

Drew,

GREAT meeting the two of you as well! Wonderful conversation - especially about teenage daughters (-:

This is the same Cuvee Christie and Climb that I poured last night, but the 2010 Viognier here,, not the 11 that I poured last night . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

kylemittskus wrote:Since someone is bound to mention it...

Larry rocks the screw tops. And he does so proudly, IIRC.

You be right, Kyle . . . loving the screwcaps and have done so for all of my wines save a collaboration wine I did since I started making them back in 2006 . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Ah Larry...you keep a secret well, since you didn't mention to us last night that you would be showing up here today/night! Now the conundrum since we really liked the Viognier last night (and keeping in mind we rarely do white wine), but also love both of the reds you have on offer here also. Decisions, decisions (not to mention we have to come up with what we want for our club shipment)! As for the rest of you...there's a good variety in this offer and not only is Larry a really good guy, his wines are damned good too.

tercerowines

time2testit wrote:Ah Larry...you keep a secret well, since you didn't mention to us last night that you would be showing up here today/night! Now the conundrum since we really liked the Viognier last night (and keeping in mind we rarely do white wine), but also love both of the reds you have on offer here also. Decisions, decisions (not to mention we have to come up with what we want for our club shipment)! As for the rest of you...there's a good variety in this offer and not only is Larry a really good guy, his wines are damned good too.

Gotta love a dilemma, eh??!? The 10 Viognier is a pretty interesting wine, and one that I truly would recommending decanting. It's a bit more acid-driven than the 11, and a great food pairing wine . . .

Again, dilemmas, dilemmas . . . and just so you know, I was sworn to secrecy by WineDavid et al . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

time2testit

tercerowines wrote:Gotta love a dilemma, eh??!? The 10 Viognier is a pretty interesting wine, and one that I truly would recommending decanting. It's a bit more acid-driven than the 11, and a great food pairing wine . . .

Again, dilemmas, dilemmas . . . and just so you know, I was sworn to secrecy by WineDavid et al . . .

Likely story (and since you, the redhead and I are probably the only ones up now anyway), so the question just becomes do we go with 1 set or 2?

tercerowines

time2testit wrote:Likely story (and since you, the redhead and I are probably the only ones up now anyway), so the question just becomes do we go with 1 set or 2?

Again....dilemmas, dilemmas, dilemmas . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

time2testit

tercerowines wrote:Again....dilemmas, dilemmas, dilemmas . . .

OK...it must be near midnight since the redhead is telling me to just go ahead and go for 2 sets even though we are surrounded by wine as we type. Have a nice night/morning Larry...

Tercero Santa Barbara County Trio (3)

Speed to First Woot:
0m 42.559s
First Sucker:
karenhynes
Last Wooter to Woot:
time2testit
Last Purchase:
a few seconds ago

teebodo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages teebodo

In for 2.
Only Larry's wines have the power to break my BIWBM. They are that good.

Speed to first woot: 0m 42.559s
First sucker:karenhynes
Last wooter to woot:teebodo
Last purchase:a minute ago

tercerowines

Thanks all . . . started dozing off so will get a few hours rest and be back at it in a few. . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold

Tercero is one of my absolute favorite wineries. I've bought several cases over the years. I haven't had these specific wines, but Terceros tend to be delicious without being over-extracted. They generally have great balance. There has been only one wine, the '07 Camp 4 Mourvedre, that I didn't absolutely love. The CT scores really speak for themselves. The only reason I haven't bought the last couple of releases is that they don't ship to NH, and I was going through too many contortions to get them here. If I could, I'd buy 3 of these.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

I think this should be a good introduction for me or anyone else to Tercero wines. Loving the mixed pack. They are mentioned on the boards all the time and this will be my first purchase so I can try them for myself.

If they are as good as everyone says they are, I am sure I will pick up more than 1 pack next time!

tercerowines

uhoerhold wrote:Tercero is one of my absolute favorite wineries. I've bought several cases over the years. I haven't had these specific wines, but Terceros tend to be delicious without being over-extracted. They generally have great balance. There has been only one wine, the '07 Camp 4 Mourvedre, that I didn't absolutely love. The CT scores really speak for themselves. The only reason I haven't bought the last couple of releases is that they don't ship to NH, and I was going through too many contortions to get them here. If I could, I'd buy 3 of these.

Udo,

Thanks for the kind words - and I'm gonna make NH work, my friend!!!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

tdedek wrote:I think this should be a good introduction for me or anyone else to Tercero wines. Loving the mixed pack. They are mentioned on the boards all the time and this will be my first purchase so I can try them for myself.

If they are as good as everyone says they are, I am sure I will pick up more than 1 pack next time!

Thanks for giving them a shot. I really hope that you enjoy the wines and will look forward to your feedback!!!!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

Good morning, all! Would have pulled the all nighter for you all, but there wasn't much buzz going on and I had been up late the previous few nights taking part in tastings a few hours away . . . in fact, my last tasting, I drove down and hung out with Andrew Murray, another winea.woot winemaker!!!

Please feel free to ask away with any questions you may have, including technical ones . . . more than happy to try to answer anything I can.

Time to wake the kids up and make breakfast, but I'll have the laptop with me - so let's roll!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

Oh, and by the way, I DO like to talk and type, so if no one asks questions, watch out - I may just start rambling on . . . . .

PLEASE help me!!!! (-:

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

creekhounds

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creekhounds
tercerowines wrote:... The 10 Viognier is a pretty interesting wine, and one that I truly would recommending decanting. It's a bit more acid-driven than the 11, and a great food pairing wine . . ..

(edited to remove question that was anwered in the Voicemail) I like my Viogniers younger and lighter. Had a 2006 recently that tasted more like Sherry. How long will this one age (assuming it does not get consumed immediately)?

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
karenhynes wrote:I clicked very quickly!! Perhaps too quickly....maybe I really wanted 2 sets???

Cheers Karen!

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

tercerowines

creekhounds wrote:I have never decanted a white -- what will it do for this one? I like my Viogniers younger and lighter. How long will this one age (assuming it does not get consumed immediately)?

Great questions! I've just found that decanting this wine opens it up and gets the aromatic profile going faster.

One of the challenges for me with viognier is that I don't like flabby white wines, and vio has a tendency of going that way. This wine will not be called flabby at all - it can certainly be consumed by itself but will benefit from some good air time as well. I like the 2010 viognier oftentimes more on day 2 then on day 1.

I can't guarantee it, but I would say you could lay this down for a couple of years and it would still be quite enjoyable. . .

Hope that helps!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

funbunny wrote:Cheers Karen!

Hey, are you channeling the inner me?!!?

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

creekhounds

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creekhounds
tercerowines wrote:Great questions! I've just found that decanting this wine opens it up and gets the aromatic profile going faster.

One of the challenges for me with viognier is that I don't like flabby white wines, and vio has a tendency of going that way. This wine will not be called flabby at all - it can certainly be consumed by itself but will benefit from some good air time as well. I like the 2010 viognier oftentimes more on day 2 then on day 1.

I can't guarantee it, but I would say you could lay this down for a couple of years and it would still be quite enjoyable. . .

Hope that helps!

Great answers. Helps me press the button for 2 Thank you, I am looking forward to these.

sulakdd

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd
kylemittskus wrote:Since someone is bound to mention it...

Larry rocks the screw tops. And he does so proudly, IIRC.

Cork is the more environmentally friendly choice:

"Q. What's wrong with screw caps and plastic closures?

A. Screw caps are not made from a sustainable product; they are not actively being recycled in the US and are not biodegradable. In comparison to a natural cork, 24 times more greenhouse gasses are released and over and 10 times more energy is used when making one screw cap.

Plastic closures are made from petro-chemicals, are not biodegradable and are rarely recycled. They are not sourced from a sustainable product and produce 10 times more greenhouse gasses than natural cork to produce."
http://www.corkforest.org/faq_cork_facts.php

For more information, also see http://100percentcork.org/cork.php/why-cork

tercerowines

creekhounds wrote:Great answers. Helps me press the button for 2 Thank you, I am looking forward to these.

Thanks!!!! Just trying to be honest and helpful . . .

On the red wines, you'll find the Cuvee Christie does not need a decant - she be ready and raring to go. The Climb, on the other hand, can use a good hour or two before she revs up.

Cheers

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

sulakdd wrote:Cork is the more environmentally friendly choice:

A. Screw caps are not made from a sustainable product; they are not actively being recycled in the US and are not biodegradable. In comparison to a natural cork, 24 times more greenhouse gasses are released and over and 10 times more energy is used when making one screw cap.

Plastic closures are made from petro-chemicals, are not biodegradable and are rarely recycled. They are not sourced from a sustainable product and produce 10 times more greenhouse gasses than natural cork to produce."

Hmmmmm. Interesting post.

Please note the source of the information you're quoting - who do you think runs and pays for the website you quote?

At the end of the day, and breaking it all down, cork is a natural product whereas screwcaps are not. I'll give you that.

But to say that cork is what you need to choose because it is 'renewable' really doesn't answer all of the questions and shortcomings about the product at all!

Let's talk toilet paper, shall we? The 'all natural' way would be to use leaves, and they are renewable. BUT they have been proven to be not as effective as the man made product . . .

Just sayin . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tercerowines wrote:Heck, nothing wrong with a little bromance . . . In fact, Neil's gonna buy me a drink in a few weeks!!!!

Yes I am. Winebro.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tercerowines

neilfindswine wrote:Yes I am. Winebro.

Nice! How'd you like my last comment above?!?!? (-:

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
tercerowines wrote:

Let's talk toilet paper, shall we? The 'all natural' way would be to use leaves, and they are renewable. BUT they have been proven to be not as effective as the man made product . . .

Just sayin . . .

So I'm not the only one...I can deal with this logic.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tercerowines wrote:Nice! How'd you like my last comment above?!?!? (-:

What can I say; we use grape leaves up here in Sonoma.

tercerowines

tdedek wrote:So I'm not the only one...I can deal with this logic.

Nope - you are not the only one, my friend . . .

Nothing wrong with cork - but as a consumer first and foremost and a winemaker second, I want to do whatever I can to minimize 'bottle variation' in any way that I feel I have the ability to do so . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

neilfindswine wrote:What can I say; we use grape leaves up here in Sonoma.

Yep, on those long bike rides you take . . . some times you have no choice!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
sulakdd wrote:Cork is the more environmentally friendly choice:

Unless you're a vegetarian, you have little room to talk about environmentally friendly, IMO. (BTW, I'm using the universal "you"' not just directing this comment at you.)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold

Larry, I have a question for you. Your 2006's were relatively delicate. I certainly wouldn't call them light, but compared to a lot of other CA Rhone blends or varietals, they were not as big. It seems like the 2007's got a little bigger, still not along the lines of a Pax, but a little more heft. I haven't tried any of the 2008's yet, are they going in the same direction? Was this a stylistic change, or a result of the vintages?

tercerowines

kylemittskus wrote:Unless you're a vegetarian, you have little room to talk about environmentally friendly, IMO. (BTW, I'm using the universal "you"' not just directing this comment at you.)

Just like to put things in perspective, my friends . . .

I just don't think the renewable' argument is one that is good enough to gloss over the downfalls of the product in this case.

Cheers

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tercerowines wrote:Yep, on those long bike rides you take . . . some times you have no choice!

Precisely.

And in regards to screwtops, you know the deep roots of that debate. We've had a plethora of winemakers discuss the merits of screwtops (there was some discussion on Woot+ last week during a boutique of all 'screwy' wines). You are always one of the most vocal.

As to which is better for the planet? I mean, are glass bottles good for the planet? What about shipping wine in trucks & planes? I try and do what I can to be 'conscious' but there are some areas of my life where scrutiny seems futile.

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
tercerowines wrote:Hmmmmm. Interesting post.

Please note the source of the information you're quoting - who do you think runs and pays for the website you quote?

At the end of the day, and breaking it all down, cork is a natural product whereas screwcaps are not. I'll give you that.

But to say that cork is what you need to choose because it is 'renewable' really doesn't answer all of the questions and shortcomings about the product at all!

Just sayin . . .

Listen bub.
I am in no way affiliated with the leaf lobby but can say that we all need to go back using them, Toilet paper is ruining the world. While were at it please stop using writing and printer paper and start using stone tablets as well. It worked for Moses it will work for you.

CT

redhead11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redhead11

Tercero's wines are some of our favorites...Tasted The Climb and Cuvee Christie on Wednesday night at a tasting and they are AWESOME!!! If you are on the fence, you need to go for it. You won't be sorry!!!

tercerowines

uhoerhold wrote:Larry, I have a question for you. Your 2006's were relatively delicate. I certainly wouldn't call them light, but compared to a lot of other CA Rhone blends or varietals, they were not as big. It seems like the 2007's got a little bigger, still not along the lines of a Pax, but a little more heft. I haven't tried any of the 2008's yet, are they going in the same direction? Was this a stylistic change, or a result of the vintages?

Udo,

GREAT question! Though 2006 was my first vintage, I don't really call that one 'mine' - it was Mother Natures because it was my first and I was somewhat a 'deer in the headlights' (-: It was also a short, hot vintage leading to riper wines.

My 07's were more in line with what I want to produce - wines that have structure but not so much so that you have to lay them down for long periods of time.

The 08 Cuvee Christie is grenache based, but not ripe grenache based like the 06. It has good acid and some structure, but really cool 'CdP-like' aromatics - and I mean old school ones. The 08 Climb is bigger in structure but still not unapproachable.

I would say that my style is still evolving, but Jed Dunnuck and Antonio Galloni both mentioned my 'style' in their recent reviews - medium structure, good acid, food friendly, with wonderful aromatics (well, I added the last line)!

The best thing for me - my best wines lay ahead . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

redhead11 wrote:Tercero's wines are some of our favorites...Tasted The Climb and Cuvee Christie on Wednesday night at a tasting and they are AWESOME!!! If you are on the fence, you need to go for it. You won't be sorry!!!

Checks in the mail (-:

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

Loving the questions folks and hoping you're loving my answers . . .

Gotta go and make lunches for my kids and run them to school, then pick some wines up to deliver them (-:

Will be back on the board later this morning so don't fret . . .

And I'll try to peek in from the road if possible.

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com