WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Ever dropped a wine bottle that shattered?
  • 3.1% - YES! It’s the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever done. 36
  • 18.6% - Yes. It’s awful to clean up. 215
  • 3.7% - Yeah, I did it and then snuck away quietly. No one will ever know. 43
  • 12% - No, but I saw it happen. HAW-haw. 139
  • 54.7% - No, I never have. Guess I’m just careful. 634
  • 7.9% - No! And it was really sad, because I was trying to do it on purpose. 91
1158 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I dropped a double mag. Plus a Loire white, and at least one red.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

I have dropped and shattered one bottle, but it was empty. It was a dress rehearsal for a production of Fiddler On The Roof. I and 3 others were doing the bottle dance, and the bottle fell off of my hat. It fell to the floor, but didn't shatter. It landed, rolled forward and then dropped into the orchestra pit, landing directly in front of the percussionist. For some reason, he wasn't happy about that.

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

Best story ever...well since everyone turned out safe.

Loco in the Coco Coworker of mine decided last year to celebrate New Years by opening a bottle of sparkling bubbly with his gf of the time. He made the bottle shatter and explode everywhere including a piece slicing the lady friends inner wrist near major vein. Luckily they wrapped it up quickly

Reason it shattered and exploded?
He used a wine opener on a champagne bottle.

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu

I was at a liquor store when a whole wall of wine fell over. I didn't do it. Coolest sound ever - it just kept on going. I took a look and didn't see any salvageable bottles, unfortunately. We are building an earthship, and there weren't even any that were salvageable for that purpose.

threemoons

quality posts: 19 Private Messages threemoons

I was at a Trader Joe's Liquor Store with a friend, and we had pointed out to management that one particular stack of display cases of white--piled in a pillar near the registers--looked unstable.

Sure enough, while we were waiting in line to check out, some dude squeezed past me and my friend, which put us both off balance juuust long enough for my butt/messenger bag to make contact with that pillar.

Luckily it was white, not red, so we were able to get it out of our clothes/hair/etc.

It was terrifying with the glass flying everywhere (I have gotten shattered glass fragments in my eyes before--it sucks, really), but it DID sound sort of cool. The lingering funk of over-oaked Chard was not, however.

hminnaert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hminnaert

My wine comes in boxes...

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

was a server for about 8 years and have been a bartender for about 13, it happens now and then that a bottle gets dropped...

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 18 Private Messages deckerbrian

I had just gotten a woot shipment and carried the box into the house and set it down on the tile floor. I always check the contents at work when I get them so the box was open. I went out to get something else from the car and my 18 month old son pulled one out and dropped it on the floor just as I walked in and raced to him. It bounced once and I caught it in mid air... Ya, I'm that good.

Anyway, I decided we would just drink that one later so I sat it on the counter and put the rest in the closet in the basement. When I came back up I grabbed the bottle and sometimes I just give the foil a little twist/pull and if its lose I pull it off instead of cutting it. Well, the bottle had cracked/broke in the foil area when it was dropped and I pulled the top of the bottle right off.

I debated about straining it and drinking it anyway but decided against it. Very strange.

angelwings083

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelwings083

My mom actually slammed my fridge door one time while she was visiting. I had a bottle of wine sitting up there. Well, she managed to close the door hard enough to knock it off the top of the fridge onto the floor, and it actually did not break. It was a miracle. And I'm glad there wasn't red wine all over my floor. It was tile, too! The whole incident was pretty crazy.

skaltenbach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaltenbach

Dropped a bottle of red on the tiled floor of my basement "wine cellar." The bottle shattered, sending tiny pieces of green glass all over the hard floor, and it also reached the carpet in the next room. I had to search everywhere to find the tiny shards of death. I'm still finding some in random places.

ShaggyTx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShaggyTx

4 or more so far. Red wine is the worst when it hits the walls. One breakage involved a large 1500ml that I pulled from the bottom shelf of fridge and across to the tile countertop. The bottle was not high enough and I hit the bottom edge hard enough that the round bottle bottom broke off and fell to the file floor and broke in a million pieces. The white wine went gushing out onto the floor.

HotAirHarry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HotAirHarry
MichaelWB wrote:Best story ever...well since everyone turned out safe.

Loco in the Coco Coworker of mine decided last year to celebrate New Years by opening a bottle of sparkling bubbly with his gf of the time. He made the bottle shatter and explode everywhere including a piece slicing the lady friends inner wrist near major vein. Luckily they wrapped it up quickly

Reason it shattered and exploded?
He used a wine opener on a champagne bottle.

In the same vein: at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival a few years ago a pilot forgot to chill a bottle of champagne for after the flight ceremony, so he set in inside the burner coil and gave it a quick shot of propane, which BOILS at minus 40 degrees (˚F or ˚C, both the same). The bottle shattered, and I think the balloon basket smells of stale champagne to this day.

tiler100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiler100

Don't forget the let's-chill-it-in-the-freezer-for-a-few-minutes disaster.

"Oh, what fresh hell is this?!??"

StarM

quality posts: 20 Private Messages StarM

Many, many a wine glass, but to date never a bottle (knock on wood). Did drop a full jar of Dijon mustard on tile floor. Still can see mustard on the texture of the ceiling from the stunningly beautiful Fountain o' Mustard . . . Much like the fountain show at Bellagio, without George Clooney or Brad Pitt . . .

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

I treasure my wine too much to drop. Breaking and losing all that wine is alcohol abuse, and we frown upon that in my house

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

When I was a juvenile delinquent, myself and 2 buddies decided to go to the local convenience store and each grab a bottle of wine before running out the door. My friends made it out with their bottles but I hit mine on the metal door frame on the way out, knocking it out of my hand and it smashed on the ground in the doorway of the store. Oops! Teenagers....

More recently, I retrieved a bottle of Scott Harvey Forte to trade with a woot friend and temporarily set it on top of a few empty boxes. Ran out to do some errands and by the time I got back, my cat had apparently tried to jump up on the stack of boxes which toppled over and the Forte was smashed on the tile floor.

Somewhere at that exact moment, a former convenience store manager felt a mysterious wave of warmth and contentment wash over them.

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

Dropped a just purchased bottle of red in the Tj's parking lot. They were nice enough to replace it and get the hose out.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I had a bottle of Corison slip out of the rack while pulling out another bottle. It fell to the floor, but did not break. But I heard some sloshing. It had hit another bottle, and broke the neck off. I quickly grabbed that one to keep the whole bottle from pouring onto the floor. Still have a nice scar on the thumb from trying to grab it too fast and sticking my thumb into the broken neck. The broken bottle -- some homemade wine. So no big loss.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar