tamarsmolowitz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamarsmolowitz

Colorado/Wyoming gathering number ? details are coming together!

Date: April 6th
Host: joelsisk
Theme: still undetermined
Bring: 1 bottle of wine per person and a vegetarian appetizer or dessert to share.

Attending:
joelsisk
loreelu (+ 2-3)
NonnaWY (+ 1-2)
tamarsmolowitz
cubluffs (+1)

Maybe:
MarkDaSpark

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY
tamarsmolowitz wrote:A bunch of people got together in (June?) for a wine.woot gathering, and sounds like there have been a few over the years. Since it seems like we could also get a few people down from Wyoming, I'd be willing to host something in Fort Collins. Even if Denver is more convenient for all/most, I figured it made sense to at least get the ball rolling and see if anyone else was interested in something in either February or more likely March. I have no thoughts on themes, pairings, etc... yet, so throw out ideas on that as well as whether or not you're up for it.

Cheers!

I am in Cheyenne, so yes, I'd come to FC for wine. I'd probably bring a few friends with me as well.

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

I am absolutely in favor of another gathering, and am also in favor of spreading the locations around. Unfortunately, with both an almost-3 year-old and a 12 weeker, finding time for the 90 min drive each way plus some time for wine doesn't look promising.

That said, I appreciate the shlep our WY friends (and others) have made on multiple occasions.

joelsisk

Ok, so I gave this 2 weeks. Not sure if any others replied by PM.

I think we need to have another one, and we are happy to host in Denver. But, without completely hijacking the OP, we're probably looking at early-mid March at the soonest.

Any thoughts?

tamarsmolowitz

Nope. No PMs. I've been checking it every few days and no new responses, so sort of figured there wasn't enough interest to bother.

I'm happy to host in Fort Collins, or happy to drive to Denver. Folks, do we have enough interest for either of those options?

joelsisk

Wow. So much interest in this, I'm speechless!

We are happy to host something in Denver (lowry to be exact). Mark said he might be able to come out in April. With Passover towards the end of March, we'd be unavailable those 2 weekends anyway.

Anyone feel strongly about the first Sat eve in April, the 6th?

Nonna? Is April still in WY or did she move to somewhere more at the heart of music?

As always, feel free to book something in Ft Collins if you would like (sooner, later). As I have told numerous folks, your best bet is to set up an event with your friends, and then just invite the ww community.

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu

I just saw this. I'm I denver and would be interested in a gathering (with my husband). Could probably make April 6 work. Denver or ft Collins would be fine. Weather permitting.

tamarsmolowitz

Sweet, some responses!

I'll also be out of town for much of Passover (stupid midweek seders!) and I'm free Saturday 4/6. Again, happy to do Fort Collins or Denver, whichever will get the most people.

Re: "As I have told numerous folks, your best bet is to set up an event with your friends, and then just invite the ww community." Unfortunately, none of my friends drink wine, only beer (and occasionally liquor) -- that's why I started this thread. Clearly I need new friends!

NonnaWY

joelsisk wrote:Wow. So much interest in this, I'm speechless!

We are happy to host something in Denver (lowry to be exact). Mark said he might be able to come out in April. With Passover towards the end of March, we'd be unavailable those 2 weekends anyway.

Anyone feel strongly about the first Sat eve in April, the 6th?

Nonna? Is April still in WY or did she move to somewhere more at the heart of music?

As always, feel free to book something in Ft Collins if you would like (sooner, later). As I have told numerous folks, your best bet is to set up an event with your friends, and then just invite the ww community.

April 6th is good for me. And it was Amber, not April, that lives in CYS too. I think she's still here, I saw a FB post a few weeks ago. I can send her a message. I'd probably bring along another friend or two with me. If MDS is coming, I'd probably plan on spending the night somewhere and make a weekend out of it.

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

joelsisk

NonnaWY wrote:April 6th is good for me. And it was Amber, not April, that lives in CYS too. I think she's still here, I saw a FB post a few weeks ago. I can send her a message. I'd probably bring along another friend or two with me. If MDS is coming, I'd probably plan on spending the night somewhere and make a weekend out of it.

Right, Amber. oops. I blame trying to work the dates and a foggy daddy memory.

as always, we have a guest room if anyone needs... just across the family room from the wine room even.

If 6 April works, let's just start to tighten things up for Denver at our place?

tamarsmolowitz

I'm cool with that plan.

And since I'm off the hook for hosting, if I can help by bringing down some food so you don't have to cook in addition to providing a venue, I'm happy to do so (though I don't have a kosher kitchen, if that matters. And if necessary, I can hold off on my natural tendency to put pork in everything).

joelsisk

tamarsmolowitz wrote:I'm cool with that plan.

And since I'm off the hook for hosting, if I can help by bringing down some food so you don't have to cook in addition to providing a venue, I'm happy to do so (though I don't have a kosher kitchen, if that matters. And if necessary, I can hold off on my natural tendency to put pork in everything).

we do keep kosher, but as long as things are vegetarian we allow them in the house. Most of the gatherings have involved light to heavy appetizers, as opposed to a full meal, which makes it easier. Different cheeses, crackers, chips, dips, spreads, chocolates/sweets can all be had in so many styles and flavors... Nearly all of which are fine, except those with meat inside (if ingredients say pork, beef, chicken, lard or any variation we don't allow).

Regardless, I am happy to discuss further if you'd like.

We usually ask for a bottle of wine per person (maybe I need to start saying per adult? or perhaps just "drinker") and let folks bring something edible as well. Basically, if you are single, bring one bottle, a couple brings two, etc.

Speaking of, any ideas on theme? In the past we've done "woot cellars", "strange varietals", and there are a million other variations. If you really want some ideas, check out the gatherings thread and look at some of them... they run from basic to really esoteric.

loreelu

This sounds great! I was bummed that I didn't discover there was one last summer until the week after it happened. My husband and I will definitely be there. If you need more people, it is possible I could drag one or two more people along... Just let me know. I'm always extolling the virtues of wine.woot to my friends, but none of them pay attention. Maybe this would convince them to listen to me!

We are vegetarian, so have no problem with the food restrictions. Thanks for doing this, and let me know if there is any wine.woot etiquette that I should learn before hand.

joelsisk

loreelu wrote:This sounds great! I was bummed that I didn't discover there was one last summer until the week after it happened.

So sorry you missed it! We had a good time.

My husband and I will definitely be there. If you need more people, it is possible I could drag one or two more people along... Just let me know. I'm always extolling the virtues of wine.woot to my friends, but none of them pay attention. Maybe this would convince them to listen to me!

Any are always welcome, though if you bring 10+ we might have to think of another option. Seriously though, another 2-5 are more than welcome, wooters or not.

We are vegetarian, so have no problem with the food restrictions. Thanks for doing this, and let me know if there is any wine.woot etiquette that I should learn before hand.

As mentioned, the only real requirement is wanting to learn. You don't even have to like wine! (ie Nurse Laura's DH) Just come with an open mind and a desire to learn something, and you'll be fine. One bottle per drinker, and once we come up with a "theme" we can figure out the details of bottles as well as any snacks. If MarkDaSpark actually lives up to his threat and shows, he likes to put some money in a pot for a minimal competition - like guess the varietal or somesuch. The key is just to want to experience something new and maybe meet some people who share your enthusiasm about wine.

hep1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hep1013

This sounds wonderful. I'm in Rock Springs, WY, and would love to join up for another gathering at some point. I'm not sure this one would be feasible...although I'd love it to be!

joelsisk

hep1013 wrote:This sounds wonderful. I'm in Rock Springs, WY, and would love to join up for another gathering at some point. I'm not sure this one would be feasible...although I'd love it to be!

holy cow, if Rock Springs is where google maps says it is....

most of the woot gatherings tend to happen in larger cities, but they pretty much always are happy to have people from other places. I have been to a couple SoCal when I am out there, and we've had folks from SoCal and Chicago (in addition to WY and CO western slope) at ours. If you find yourself traveling ever, oftentimes that can be the impetus for a gathering there!

Check out the current gatherings thread that CJ updates every week.

loreelu

joelsisk wrote:Any are always welcome, though if you bring 10+ we might have to think of another option. Seriously though, another 2-5 are more than welcome, wooters or not.

Sounds good. I was thinking more in the 2-3 range so you don't have to worry about a bigger venue.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:As mentioned, the only real requirement is wanting to learn. You don't even have to like wine! (ie Nurse Laura's DH) Just come with an open mind and a desire to learn something, and you'll be fine. One bottle per drinker, and once we come up with a "theme" we can figure out the details of bottles as well as any snacks. If MarkDaSpark actually lives up to his threat and shows, he likes to put some money in a pot for a minimal competition - like guess the varietal or somesuch. The key is just to want to experience something new and maybe meet some people who share your enthusiasm about wine.

That's only been twice or so ... usually at a blind wine tasting. The wines that is!

And JavaDrinker is the one who thought that up. IIRC, all the wines went into a bag, and someone else numbered them (who didn't know which wine was in each bag).

Then everyone selects their favorite wine of the evening and what they think the main varietal is in each wine (using a card to rank the wines as they taste, and list the varietal). You can do $1 or $5 entry for each pot.

And I'm still a maybe for this.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cubluffs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cubluffs

Hi All,

My wife and I would be up for this also. I've always been jealous of all the CA wine.woot gatherings that happen. April 6th would work for us preferably in Denver but could make Ft. Collins as well

joelsisk

Bump.

Any thoughts on theme? Italian varietals... Bordeaux Blends... Non US/Europe wines... 2003 Napa Cabs... any other interesting ideas?

NonnaWY

joelsisk wrote:Bump.

Any thoughts on theme? Italian varietals... Bordeaux Blends... Non US/Europe wines... 2003 Napa Cabs... any other interesting ideas?

I like the idea of European wines. I brought back a red from Germany I could bring down.

tamarsmolowitz

NonnaWY wrote:I like the idea of European wines. I brought back a red from Germany I could bring down.

I'd be in favor of a really specific theme, so that you can really compare the wines and learn something about the theme. So maybe we can build something off of NonnaWY's German red? What varietal/s are we talking?

loreelu

tamarsmolowitz wrote:I'd be in favor of a really specific theme, so that you can really compare the wines and learn something about the theme. So maybe we can build something off of NonnaWY's German red? What varietal/s are we talking?

I don't know enough to contribute to the discussion. But I do know a German sommelier, so if you decide on something specific to Germany, I at least have a good source who can point me in the right direction

joelsisk

tamarsmolowitz

joelsisk wrote:bump

Does this mean you're changing the date? HEY YOGI!, just requested 4/6 off from work...

joelsisk

tamarsmolowitz wrote:Does this mean you're changing the date? HEY YOGI!, just requested 4/6 off from work...

Nope. Just moving the thread back up to the top half of the page

NonnaWY

Because I know that Joel is traveling right now, I'll bring this back up to the top.

We still need to decide what, if any, our theme of the night will be.

My german wine turns out to be a Pinot Noir type grape. Shall we say Pinot's for the evening?

tamarsmolowitz

NonnaWY wrote:
My german wine turns out to be a Pinot Noir type grape. Shall we say Pinot's for the evening?

I'm cool with a Pinot theme.

loreelu

Pinot works for us, too. Is this still definitely on for next Saturday?

joelsisk

We are definitely on. I'd rather a not exclusive pinot theme, but only because neither Michelle nor I prefer pinots... unless they are big bold and cab-like.