MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Who knew about Buon Fresco? You learn something every day here.

PoSt away folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of January 20th.

Have you acted on that New Year's Resolution to open that wine you've saved for a special occasion???

January 2013
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend
2/23: NoVA/DC #28: TBD

March
3/16: NYC #?: Cupcakes
3/23: SoCal #24: Aged Zins

Pending
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

What an excellent day off! Not! We had to have the plumber come over for a few things. Window: 9 - 12. Call came in at 8:20, he would be here at 9AM. Turns out, this is the guy who lives a block away. He arrived at 8:45! He was able to take care of most of the things that we needed except that when his partner went to fix the 55 year old toilet on the first floor, he broke something that cannot be replaced! So, ddeuddeg has a thought on how he might be able to band-aid it until we decide how and when we may wish to do a lav re-do or how/when we can get a smaller than average toilet. It is a real tiny space. That is probably why this one is so short! However, this plumbing company would do the install for $205,

I do want to get a new lav, but don't really want to take the time to deal with it now. However, we could still get a new toilet and use it in the new lav.

The bill for today's work was just under $400. They were here for about 3 hours! They also drained the hot water tank & replaced a valve. In the process, they had to turn on all of the hot water faucets in the house to bleed the lines. I went to do some laundry and the Flowsafe connector hose no longer works. ddeuddeg went to HomeDepot, bought another one, put it on and it will not work again, even though he followed the directions exactly. The water started to flow and then stopped. This hose is going back and he's planning on just getting another regular connector hose! This, and he didn't even do the the plumbing job! Urg!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:What an excellent day off! Not! We had to have the plumber come over for a few things. Window: 9 - 12. Call came in at 8:20, he would be here at 9AM. Turns out, this is the guy who lives a block away. He arrived at 8:45! He was able to take care of most of the things that we needed except that when his partner went to fix the 55 year old toilet on the first floor, he broke something that cannot be replaced! So, ddeuddeg has a thought on how he might be able to band-aid it until we decide how and when we may wish to do a lav re-do or how/when we can get a smaller than average toilet. It is a real tiny space. That is probably why this one is so short! However, this plumbing company would do the install for $205,

I do want to get a new lav, but don't really want to take the time to deal with it now. However, we could still get a new toilet and use it in the new lav.

The bill for today's work was just under $400. They were here for about 3 hours! They also drained the hot water tank & replaced a valve. In the process, they had to turn on all of the hot water faucets in the house to bleed the lines. I went to do some laundry and the Flowsafe connector hose no longer works. ddeuddeg went to HomeDepot, bought another one, put it on and it will not work again, even though he followed the directions exactly. The water started to flow and then stopped. This hose is going back and he's planning on just getting another regular connector hose! This, and he didn't even do the the plumbing job! Urg!

yuck!! hope tomorrow is better!!

mommadeb1

Hope everyone has a good week!!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Tomorrow, I and my +1 wake up in squaw valley to start 3 days of fun skiing and night life. We brought a case of varied wines for the evenings (for 10 days including friends,we aren't THAT Lush). Should be fun!!!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
cmaldoon wrote:Tomorrow, I and my +1 wake up in squaw valley to start 3 days of fun skiing and night life. We brought a case of varied wines for the evenings (for 10 days including friends,we aren't THAT Lush). Should be fun!!!

That sounds awesome. Have a great time and enjoy the wine!

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:Tomorrow, I and my +1 wake up in squaw valley to start 3 days of fun skiing and night life. We brought a case of varied wines for the evenings (for 10 days including friends,we aren't THAT Lush). Should be fun!!!

Great time to take a break ... during a Woot-Off.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

But woot offs are not as fun since there is no more Bring Out Cadence.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

So... apparently there is also a time limit on wootoff items? That Chard was at like 90% left when it disappeared.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
joelsisk wrote:So... apparently there is also a time limit on wootoff items? That Chard was at like 90% left when it disappeared.

I also wonder if something sells out, like some scarves on home, if they don't put up a new item until that original time frame is up?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

joelsisk

bahwm wrote:I also wonder if something sells out, like some scarves on home, if they don't put up a new item until that original time frame is up?

it's not supposed to work that way... but the times, they are a chang-in.

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:I also wonder if something sells out, like some scarves on home, if they don't put up a new item until that original time frame is up?

It just seems that way ... only took 10 seconds for the Oil to come up after the Sparklies just now.

Oh, and I double dog dare all of you to do this at your next party (go up to a stranger and say it):

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:It just seems that way ... only took 10 seconds for the Oil to come up after the Sparklies just now.

Oh, and I double dog dare all of you to do this at your next party (go up to a stranger and say it):

I would totally do that.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tiger7610

inkycatz wrote:I would totally do that.

I would totally do that

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

So, random woot-off ranting. I can't express how much I used to absolutely love the woot-off theme song. It was spot on, accurate, and hysterical. So much so that I would listen to it at least a half dozen times each and every woot-off.

Now...it is a depressing theme song. A sad reminder of a woot that has long-since passed. A woot of crap, without THE CRAP. It no longer gives me an "F5 Complex", but rather SSDD Complex, and a reminder of corporate greed at it's best. Heck, they might well just call it a SSDD-Off.

/rant

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tiger7610

Agreed,I used to be excited for the wootoffs, the possibility of getting Bunch of Changelings would start my adrenaline flowing. Now its just boring, since I already have enough random stuff from woot that I do not need that.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Trying to book a flight to Cancun at the end of March...ouch...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

joelsisk

otolith wrote:Trying to book a flight to Cancun at the end of March...ouch...

from MSP? bleh. Spring Break, man!

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:from MSP? bleh. Spring Break, man!

Why do you think he's going alone?

Oh, and someone posted a thread about having a Denver event. Perhaps you might respond?

MarkDaSpark

From a friend's (non-Wooter) FB Wall Post:

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and put them on the stove. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first pot she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs and in the last she placed ground coffee beans.
She let them sit and boil and twenty minutes later she turned off the burners. She removed the carrots and placed them in a bowl.
She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.

Turning to her daughter, she asked, “Tell me, what do you see?” “Carrots, eggs, and coffee,” she replied. Her mother asked her to feel the carrots.
She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she smelled the aroma and tasted its rich flavor. The daughter then asked, “What does it mean?”

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity, boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water, making it fragrant and giving it flavor.

“Which are you?” she asked her daughter. “When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?”

What about you? When facing a challenge in life are you weakened and feel defeated by the experience? Or do you become hardened and bitter because of the event?

Or do you see it as an opportunity to influence those around you, to make a positive difference, to leave the situation better than when you started? It is possible to be the latter, so now’s the time to start working towards it.

I thought this was too good not to share.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
MarkDaSpark wrote:From a friend's (non-Wooter) FB Wall Post:

I'm an egg and proud of it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
joelsisk wrote:from MSP? bleh. Spring Break, man!

The week before and week after are almost half the price of the week WE are going. grrr.....

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:The week before and week after are almost half the price of the week WE are going. grrr.....

The Royal We???

joelsisk

who the hell boils carrots or eggs for 20 minutes??? or whole bean coffee...

but, it's a nice story when you ignore the details.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:who the hell boils carrots or eggs for 20 minutes??? or whole bean coffee...

but, it's a nice story when you ignore the details.

So you're the egg then?

Edit: Crack Toffee is up ...

mommadeb1

Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!!... I have the crud again.... haven't checked woot til now... only to find out it is a woot off.... did I miss anything good....????

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!!... I have the crud again.... haven't checked woot til now... only to find out it is a woot off.... did I miss anything good....????

Yes. You just missed the Brandini Crack Toffee.

Scott Harvey InZinerator
Truffle Butters

And a ton of Ardente Cabs.

Edit: Oh, and the Pink Zeppelin Dry Rosé (missed). Almost thought about going in for the DV Boomtown Cab/Syrah/Merlot pack.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes. You just missed the Brandini Crack Toffee.

Scott Harvey InZinerator
Truffle Butters

And a ton of Ardente Cabs.

probab. for the best I missed them.....
Edit: Oh, and the Pink Zeppelin Dry Rosé (missed). Almost thought about going in for the DV Boomtown Cab/Syrah/Merlot pack.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Yeah, I haven't been checking either, sad I missed the chocolates and toffee. Overflowing on wine already so can't complain too much there :P

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Fellow amazon-music-purchasers, how is your experience with the cloud player? I like it because I can play from my roku. But...amazon says the music you purchase from them doesn't count toward the 250 song limit, but I have TONS of stuff I've bought that isn't showing up. Apparently "some" music isn't eligible for some reason, but they won't tell me which stuff or why. For me, it's a LOT of music.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

There must be something wrong with me because I'm fixated on the fact that if you drop a raw egg into a pot of water that's already boiling, it's going to crack and ooze out and you'll have little eggy bits all throughout the water.

And if you boil carrots, especially for that long, not only will they be mush, but they will be tasteless and nutritionally void as well.

And if you boil whole coffee beans, it does not yield good coffee. It yields brown water that resembles something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike coffee.

Edit: Oh, wait, the coffee was ground. Then it might resemble an overcooked coffee. Boiling it for 20 minutes is a BAD idea. Burnt coffee for all!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
chemvictim wrote:Fellow amazon-music-purchasers, how is your experience with the cloud player? I like it because I can play from my roku. But...amazon says the music you purchase from them doesn't count toward the 250 song limit, but I have TONS of stuff I've bought that isn't showing up. Apparently "some" music isn't eligible for some reason, but they won't tell me which stuff or why. For me, it's a LOT of music.

Any mp3 album I've bought has shown up in its entirety, but the new thingy they have seems somewhat odd - I have some CDs that I only received maybe one or two tracks from in my cloud player.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:There must be something wrong with me because I'm fixated on the fact that if you drop a raw egg into a pot of water that's already boiling, it's going to crack and ooze out and you'll have little eggy bits all throughout the water.

And if you boil carrots, especially for that long, not only will they be mush, but they will be tasteless and nutritionally void as well.

And if you boil whole coffee beans, it does not yield good coffee. It yields brown water that resembles something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike coffee.

Edit: Oh, wait, the coffee was ground. Then it might resemble an overcooked coffee. Boiling it for 20 minutes is a BAD idea. Burnt coffee for all!

You're a little late to the party. That's already been mentioned.

MarkDaSpark

New Woot! Monkey Alert!!!! Woo woo woo woo woo woo.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:New Woot! Monkey Alert!!!! Woo woo woo woo woo woo.

Thought you were boycotting all non-wine woot sites

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

Anyone want a Stocking Stuffer Cosmo Drink Mix?

Best by: 10/30/2013

Whups, never mind. Just sold out.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Thought you were boycotting all non-wine woot sites

Except for Woot Monkeys! Those were specifically excluded from the moritorium. Don't you read English? Oh wait, do I need to translate it into Canadian?

Edit: Besides, that was a PSA, eh?

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Except for Woot Monkeys! Those were specifically excluded from the moritorium. Don't you read English? Oh wait, do I need to translate it into Canadian?

Edit: Besides, that was a PSA, eh?

I didn't go back and check the specific terms of the moratorium

In other news, I'm loving the rainy day in SoCal. Wish it was a snow day.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:I didn't go back and check the specific terms of the moratorium

In other news, I'm loving the rainy day in SoCal. Wish it was a snow day.

Well, to everyone (but not a Canadian obviously ) that should have been obvious. Excluded as well, is the now mythical Bunch of Changelings