2010 Il Campo Red Blend, Central Coast
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
4/21/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Giornata is some of my favorite American Italian wines. I have yet to try a wine from them I have disliked.

I only wished this offering would have been a mixed half case instead of 6 bottles of Il Campo.

The Il Campo is wonderful, dont get me wrong, I just like to have an assortment from Brian on hand.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

This was my #1 from the tasting! Alas, by the eighth bottle things were getting a bit fuzzy. :-P

As I recall, it reminded me of a rustic French vin de table, but obviously with Sangiovese, Italian style grapes. While I do appreciate a $700 bottle of Dom, I am a peasant at heart. Give me this very easy drinking stuff every day, and I'm a happy horse.

Average going prices are just under $20, so at $12.50/bottle, this is a nice wine.woot!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

We had a mixed offering earlier. Haven't pulled the cork on this one yet from last April, but this time it's way less/bottle.
Some notes from Brian of Giornata:

I do pretty standard maceration with the reds in this offer. I do longer macerations more with my nebbiolo and aglianico. il Campo is all neutral wool and even some stainless (for stylistic reasons). This gets bottled after about 9 months of aging to keep all the juicy brightness I'm looking for. pH of the wines are about 3.3 if memory serves. I don't rely on numbers much unless something I'm tasting doesn't make sense.
CT

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi

Thank you very much Brian. Unfortunately since we make such a small quantity of wine. The il Campo red production is actually bigger than all my other reds combined. I just didn't have the inventory needed to put an offer out worth woot's time.

I'm excited to offer this wine however because it really is meant as a daily drinker and at this price hopefully fits the bill for most of you.

bkarlan wrote:Giornata is some of my favorite American Italian wines. I have yet to try a wine from them I have disliked.

I only wished this offering would have been a mixed half case instead of 6 bottles of Il Campo.

The Il Campo is wonderful, dont get me wrong, I just like to have an assortment from Brian on hand.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of January 20th.

Have you acted on that New Year's Resolution to open that wine you've saved for a special occasion???

January 2013
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend
2/23: NoVA/DC #28: TBD

March
3/16: NYC #?: Cupcakes
3/23: SoCal #24: Aged Zins

Pending
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

brianterrizzi

Wow! Your #1 wine. We are honored. I can handle the rusticity comment in your tasting notes. With this wine we make to pay homage to all the great table wines we have enjoyed all over Italy. I find a bit of rusticity charming. There's nothing more boring than a clean, sterile industrialized wine devoid of character in my opinion.

ckeilah wrote:This was my #1 from the tasting! Alas, by the eighth bottle things were getting a bit fuzzy. :-P

As I recall, it reminded me of a rustic French vin de table, but obviously with Sangiovese, Italian style grapes. While I do appreciate a $700 bottle of Dom, I am a peasant at heart. Give me this very easy drinking stuff every day, and I'm a happy horse.

Average going prices are just under $20, so at $12.50/bottle, this is a nice wine.woot!

chipgreen

quality posts: 201 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:We had a mixed offering earlier. Haven't pulled the cork on this one yet from last April, but this time it's way less/bottle.

It's actually about the same price per bottle if you look at the relative values of each of the 3 wines previously offered. The Il Campo retails for $20, while the Vermentino sells for $25 and the Gemellaia goes for $30. So with a 3 bottle offering for $50 it averaged out to $16.67/bottle but we were really paying more like $13.33/$16.67/$20.00 with the $13.33 value applied to the Il Campo. Still less than before @ $12.50 per and a great value I'm sure, just trying to put the previous offer price in perspective.

brianterrizzi

I'll be checking in on the board periodically to answer questions, but my wife and I will also be pouring our wines tomorrow in Napa at the Oxbow Public Market for the Napa Truffle Festival from 10AM - 2PM. If you happen to be in the area please stop by to say hello.

http://napatrufflefestival.com/marketplace/

We will be pouring our Nebbiolo and Barbera. We are hoping to cultivate truffles on our vineyard property next to our Nebbiolo.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

This wine played very well at the Austin tasting. I'm about to head to bed, so I'll post notes in the morning.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

I also quite enjoyed this wine. It's a nice simple Sangiovese blend. A bit of candied fruit on the nose. On the palate, I got dark fruits - black cherries, maybe some blackberry. The finish wasn't super long but it didn't matter because I kept wanting to go back to my glass before the finish faded. This would be great with pizza or even some grilled meats. The woot price makes this a nice everyday drinker.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I'm not a drinker of red wines but my notes from Austin said "LIKE!!!!".

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm not a drinker of red wines but my notes from Austin said "LIKE!!!!".

That's IT????

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:That's IT????

Even after all my studying, I can't pick a smell or a taste out of wine. I blame my lifetime of allergy suffering. Sounds good anyway.

If someone said "I smell XYZ" then I can sniff and kinda get it. But on my own, I'm as clueless as I was before I studied up on wine tasting.

(And I knew someone would comment on that. Brat. )

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

ThunderThighs wrote:Even after all my studying, I can't pick a smell or a taste out of wine. I blame my lifetime of allergy suffering. Sounds good anyway.

If someone said "I smell XYZ" then I can sniff and kinda get it. But on my own, I'm as clueless as I was before I studied up on wine tasting.

Sometimes 'like' is all ya need to say. The Giornata lineup has some exquisite cal-Italia offerings, but the Il Campo Red is the everyday drinker. Quite frankly it over-delivers on that promise at the SRP of $20 and at this price is a no-brainier.

I LIKE it too. Quite a bit.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:Even after all my studying, I can't pick a smell or a taste out of wine. I blame my lifetime of allergy suffering. Sounds good anyway.

LOL, much love to you, TT - I just had to do it...

I agree that the power of suggestion is (as the term implies) powerful, when tasting wine. I often notice that specific flavors and smells seem to come to the forefront when fellow tasters mention them.

Rob provided each of us with a flavor wheel on the rpm tour which was very helpful in determining and describing what we tasted. You start in the center and work your way out to specific flavors.

floofer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages floofer

Fining and filtering? Would love to get this if minimally processed.

brianterrizzi

No Finining - This is one that we cross flow filter which I actually consider to be a gentler form of filtration.

floofer wrote:Fining and filtering? Would love to get this if minimally processed.

hep1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hep1013

What are the tannins like in this one?

greyday

quality posts: 54 Private Messages greyday

Don't feel bad. After more than a year and a half of drinking many, many bottles of the 06 White Oak cab and Merlots (from multiple wwoot orders), it was just two nights ago when I tucked into one and said "oh! That flavor I love so much in these wines. It's cherry."

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
brianterrizzi wrote:Wow! Your #1 wine. We are honored. I can handle the rusticity comment in your tasting notes. With this wine we make to pay homage to all the great table wines we have enjoyed all over Italy. I find a bit of rusticity charming. There's nothing more boring than a clean, sterile industrialized wine devoid of character in my opinion.

Only that the usual great table wines from Europe (lived there most of my life) retail in Europe (in the wine drinking countries - so high taxation northern countries don't count) between $3 and $7.
Completely different price segment. Most people would never buy a wine over $10 for a table wine. So, I hope that the quality is waaaay better than trying to be a 'table wine'.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Hi Brian! Your mixed offering last year was one of my first purchases on Woot. I enjoyed all 3. There was so much chatter on the boards, as well as excellent descriptions that it was impossible to pass up! I can only hope that the VA legislators will fix this stupid law so we can receive wine again from Woot.

dopalgangr

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dopalgangr

What temperature should this be stored at in the home?

hokiedevil

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hokiedevil

More notes from Austin:

I got notes of juicy cherry. As has already been mentioned this one was a big hit with most at the Austin gathering.

To sum things up, here is my better half's extensive writeup:
"Yummy!"

We're in for one Great QPR here.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
dopalgangr wrote:What temperature should this be stored at in the home?

Ideal storage temp for reds is 55F. However, since those are of th daily-drinking variety and will likely be drunk soon, storage temp isn't much of a concern.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dopalgangr

greyday wrote:Don't feel bad. After more than a year and a half of drinking many, many bottles of the 06 White Oak cab and Merlots (from multiple wwoot orders), it was just two nights ago when I tucked into one and said "oh! That flavor I love so much in these wines. It's cherry."

I too bought into the 06 White Oaks, I'm new to wine and have been storing at 73F. Do you think its ruined? What is the drinkability range on this stuff? Thanks

dopalgangr

kylemittskus wrote:Ideal storage temp for reds is 55F. However, since those are of th daily-drinking variety and will likely be drunk soon, storage temp isn't much of a concern.

Thanks, I need to invest in a wine fridge then

brianterrizzi

There are tannins, but they are soft and not very fierce as they are in couple of our other wines.

hep1013 wrote:What are the tannins like in this one?

brianterrizzi

Yes this is true. I've often wondered how it's possible that such charming wines exist over there at such fair prices. I attribute it to the land and wineries being owned and paid off generations ago. With this wine I'm actually thinking of the wines that get plopped down on the table as rosso in Italy. Many times the bottles are unlabeled and the owner of the place tacks a slight surcharge on the meal for consumption of the wine. Many of these places I also never looked at a menu and got out the door for 10 euros for a fabulous meal with wine. It helped being with locals, but unfortunately this wouldn't happen in the US...Oh how I miss Italy.

andreaserben wrote:Only that the usual great table wines from Europe (lived there most of my life) retail in Europe (in the wine drinking countries - so high taxation northern countries don't count) between $3 and $7.
Completely different price segment. Most people would never buy a wine over $10 for a table wine. So, I hope that the quality is waaaay better than trying to be a 'table wine'.

brianterrizzi

The wine laws certainly are a bummer. We are having some success selling our wines in your area and I will be out there in the 1st week of April to hopefully gain some more traction. DC has been a good market for us and I'm hoping to have success in VA.

slm9951 wrote:Hi Brian! Your mixed offering last year was one of my first purchases on Woot. I enjoyed all 3. There was so much chatter on the boards, as well as excellent descriptions that it was impossible to pass up! I can only hope that the VA legislators will fix this stupid law so we can receive wine again from Woot.

dopalgangr

brianterrizzi wrote:The wine laws certainly are a bummer. We are having some success selling our wines in your area and I will be out there in the 1st week of April to hopefully gain some more traction. DC has been a good market for us and I'm hoping to have success in VA.

Dont forget us in Maryland. Frederick area even has some pretty descent wineries that might interest you...

kylemittskus

dopalgangr wrote:Thanks, I need to invest in a wine fridge then

Did somebody say COOLERS?

brianterrizzi

We did a dinner last year @ Aida wine bar in Columbia,MD that was huge fun and had a great time in Baltimore. I've never seen better maintained roads than in MD. Let us Californians have some of those tax dollars.

We still need to get VA going though. My wife and I literally do everything ourselves though so there's only so much time ya know.

dopalgangr wrote:Dont forget us in Maryland. Frederick area even has some pretty descent wineries that might interest you...

dopalgangr

kylemittskus wrote: Did somebody say COOLERS?

Any recommendations? I only have less then 15 bottles on hand at any given time and I'm the only one in the house that drinks the stuff so it lasts a while.

dopalgangr

So Brian, since I dont really drink wine every day and this is a table wine, what would you say was the shelf life of the wine (if I stored it properly). Thanks

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
dopalgangr wrote:Any recommendations? I only have less then 15 bottles on hand at any given time and I'm the only one in the house that drinks the stuff so it lasts a while.

hit up craigslist man. Don't know where you live, but here in So Cal, there are a 100 coolers on c-list on any given day. Can find nice quality 25 or 50 bottle coolers for half price easy.

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

dopalgangr

tkastorff wrote:hit up craigslist man. Don't know where you live, but here in So Cal, there are a 100 coolers on c-list on any given day. Can find nice quality 25 or 50 bottle coolers for half price easy.

Ah yes, thanks forgot about the CL

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
dopalgangr wrote:I too bought into the 06 White Oaks, I'm new to wine and have been storing at 73F. Do you think its ruined? What is the drinkability range on this stuff? Thanks

While the temperature does matter (73 degrees is a tad high, but not horrible), temperature variations are what hurts the wine. I've been told you are better off to have a wine at a constant 70 degrees than to have it in a location that is constantly fluctuating between 60 and 70 degrees. If your house is set to 73 degrees, just stick them in a lower level closet (or preferably a basement) and you will be fine. 73 degrees will certainly not ruin your wine, it will just not allow for any long-term aging.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

tkastorff wrote:hit up craigslist man. Don't know where you live, but here in So Cal, there are a 100 coolers on c-list on any given day. Can find nice quality 25 or 50 bottle coolers for half price easy.

Check out the SoCal gathering #24 thread!