loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
ERMD wrote:Opened a bottle of 97 ardente.. Corked... Oh well. One left and the one that we did have was great.

Mine was no good either, and I had such high hopes from the comments. Tasted oaky even after an hour of decanting, and then very dusty fruit came through faintly sometime after. It was either corked or the wine was not good.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
loveladyelectric wrote:Mine was no good either, and I had such high hopes from the comments. Tasted oaky even after an hour of decanting, and then very dusty fruit came through faintly sometime after. It was either corked or the wine was not good.

The first bottle we had was fantastic! The second was as I mentioned. I still have 1 left and plan to have it with a great steak but will have a backup just in case.
Qpr, if all had been good , was great , but if it turns out 2/3 are good then maybe not.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
ERMD wrote:The first bottle we had was fantastic! The second was as I mentioned. I still have 1 left and plan to have it with a great steak but will have a backup just in case.
Qpr, if all had been good , was great , but if it turns out 2/3 are good then maybe not.

I don't have any more 97, but I have a 2001 and 2002 (I think, it was the sort-of vertical from here.)

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
loveladyelectric wrote:Mine was no good either, and I had such high hopes from the comments. Tasted oaky even after an hour of decanting, and then very dusty fruit came through faintly sometime after. It was either corked or the wine was not good.

Three of three good for me so far. Guess I'll have fun while I keep looking for a bad one, and hope it isn't there.

CT

ERMD

rjquillin wrote:Three of three good for me so far. Guess I'll have fun while I keep looking for a bad one, and hope it isn't there.

Opened the last 97 and it was fantastic. I love an aged cab. Now I do wish I had bought more.

Deezy2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deezy2

It's a tie. Just awful. 2008 Jacuzzi Family Vineyard Nebbiolo and 2007 Tor Del Colle Riserva Casa Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.

ERMD

ERMD wrote:Opened the last 97 and it was fantastic. I love an aged cab. Now I do wish I had bought more.

And what's on today's plate? 98 cab.. Yep got 2orders

lurkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurkey
noslensj wrote:Cycles Gladiator 2011 zin and 2010 CS. I was excited to pick these up as part of a mixed case based on the fact they were produced by the normally reliable Hahn family and very positive comments about previously Cycles Gladiator offerings.

These two rank as the worst wines I have ever consumed. Tested like they were blended with cat pee, which I subsequently learned is typical of mercaptans and is a known winemaking fault. Wasn't just my bottles, as others also made similar reports.

I could not agree more. I thought all of the ones that came in the mixed pack from Cycles Gladiator were undrinkable. I gave mine to a poor college student (of legal age!)...

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Probably the Havens... I mean it's not the worst wine I've had from W.W, (cough, JanKris, cough) but it was the biggest letdown.

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

Kent Rasmussen Esoterica 2004 California Sousão. Hands down, the worst wine I've ever tasted.

Lots of fellow wooters emailed me privately agreeing when I dared criticize it publicly, but I received public grief for daring to criticize this favorite producer (edit: darling of) an extremely vocal minority. Taught me a lesson. I try to never post negative comments here anymore. Too bad, because I'm sure lots of naive new wooters would benefit from seeing more contrasting opinions before jumping into some of the fanboy frenzy and spending lots of money without realizing their gamble.

One commenter I often follow is the venerable RPM, whose taste has yet to steer me away from what I enjoy. And his silence sometimes even speaks louder than his comments, whether intentional or not!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tomatillo wrote:Kent Rasmussen Esoterica 2004 California Sousão. Hands down, the worst wine I've ever tasted.

Lots of fellow wooters emailed me privately agreeing when I dared criticize it publicly, but I received public grief for daring to criticize this favorite producer of an extremely vocal minority. Taught me a lesson. I try to never post negative comments here anymore. Too bad, because I'm sure lots of naive new wooters would benefit from seeing more contrasting opinions before jumping into some of the fanboy frenzy and spending lots of money without realizing their gamble.

One commenter I often follow is the venerable RPM, whose taste has yet to steer me away from what I enjoy. And his silence sometimes even speaks louder than his comments, whether intentional or not!

I'm glad you at least posted here. I don't know how anyone can criticize anyone else for an opinion on how they perceive a bottle.

I urge you to continue to post what you taste, like it or not. Please be as complete as possible (there is little benefit from a statement: "I didn't like it" or "It was awful") saying that it tasted "Like wet dog" or "Vinegary" or "Bitter finish". Based on descriptors, others may be able to tell for themselves if it is a preference, or a flawed bottle that is causing the dislike.

If anyone knocks you for saying what you taste, they're simply an a-hole.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:I'm glad you at least posted here. I don't know how anyone can criticize anyone else for an opinion on how they perceive a bottle.

I urge you to continue to post what you taste, like it or not. Please be as complete as possible (there is little benefit from a statement: "I didn't like it" or "It was awful") saying that it tasted "Like wet dog" or "Vinegary" or "Bitter finish". Based on descriptors, others may be able to tell for themselves if it is a preference, or a flawed bottle that is causing the dislike.

I completely agree with the gentleman from the north if you don't like a wine no matter who the winemaker is I would like to know.

On that note I kind of worried about the Crusher, there have been a few not so favorable notes on that one.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:I completely agree with the gentleman from the north if you don't like a wine no matter who the winemaker is I would like to know.

On that note I kind of worried about the Crusher, there have been a few not so favorable notes on that one.

I'm worried big time. Otolith didn't like it and he and I were completely aligned with that Etre(?) chard.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:I'm worried big time. Otolith didn't like it and he and I were completely aligned with that Etre(?) chard.

It was ok. I guess I don't know what I was expecting with that bottle, to be honest. It just seemed, different, and I probably didn't give it much of a chance. There's still 3 more in my cellar, and I'll try it in another 6-8 months or so.

I'm not giving up hope on the Etre, either. We'll see what that's like in another year. I'm just left with a sense that it needs more time. Can't quite put to words why I think this.

There have been plenty of bottles that I wished I would have sat on longer prior to opening one again, so we'll see what the future holds for these.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I'm worried big time. Otolith didn't like it and he and I were completely aligned with that Etre(?) chard.

All this crusher talk made me go and fine one to pull a cork on.

Defiantly not the same as the 2010. The saturated orange is missing, replaced by a medium to deep straw. As it warmed from cellar to 19.5C, there was still a change in profile, but not to the extent of the 2010. Almost seems to have a bit of funk on the nose, in a pleasant but unexpected way, but I'm not getting wet dog. Seems lacking the full mouth I recall from the 2010 s well. Pretty simple, short finish, minimal tannins.
Held it's own with a light cheese and cilantro quesadilla and black bean snack, but not likely to much more.

At this point, a disappointment from the 2010, but still a very drinkable bottle; not a flawed bottle.

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

The fricken Mandolina bottle of backwash was pretty horrid (though they made that right in spades) What the hell was that bottle. I don't remember.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
cmaldoon wrote:

I agree totally. When I posted my most disappointing wine, I made stated why - viz., it tasted like it was blended with cat piss.

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

La Vie still sticks out as disappointing (and it has been years!) but not sure why I was expecting more.

I actually found the 2003 Corison to be disappointing, compared to how much I usually love Corison. This 2005 Clos de Betz that we drank this weekend (not a woot wine).

I liked the KR Sousao, but it does seem to be an acquired taste. Makes port porty I think.