time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

I'm not sure what qualifies as an aged Zin for this, but we don't have much aged earlier than 2007. Should we bring a 2007 Biker Zin from Four Vines?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
time2testit wrote:I'm not sure what qualifies as an aged Zin for this, but we don't have much aged earlier than 2007. Should we bring a 2007 Biker Zin from Four Vines?

I'm bringing a VdF which is even younger, I believe, since Sparky swooped on on my Chase.

His is better, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

So what time should we plan on getting there?

"The older I get the better I was"

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
losthighwayz wrote:So what time should we plan on getting there?

6ish

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:I'm bringing a VdF which is even younger, I believe, since Sparky swooped on on my Chase.

His is better, though.

I believe I claimed Chase first as a Vertical.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

It's not looking promising, sad to say. I'm still hoping to work something out.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:It's not looking promising, sad to say. I'm still hoping to work something out.

Do you need a ride?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

MarkDaSpark wrote:Do you need a ride?

that could possibly help. Especially if you could take 2. But really, it's more just a question of coordination with the 75 million family members and I have to pawn off the 3 year old too.

Then again, do I really want to drive with you???!?!!!

Or were you offering someone else to drive?

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

A friend gave me a 1999 zin from Lodi. I'm not sure how this is going to stand up so I'll bring something else as a back up.

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
joelsisk wrote:that could possibly help. Especially if you could take 2. But really, it's more just a question of coordination with the 75 million family members and I have to pawn off the 3 year old too.

Ha, MdS and I made it successfully to/from D&D. We both drive the same..?

Where do you need to get from?

CT

time2testit

joelsisk wrote:that could possibly help. Especially if you could take 2. But really, it's more just a question of coordination with the 75 million family members and I have to pawn off the 3 year old too.

Come on Joel...you can bring your sisters (or at least send regards)!

joelsisk

time2testit wrote:Come on Joel...you can bring your sisters (or at least send regards)!

Only one who might show would be the one younger than me, so you wouldn't know her

We are having the annual passover open house on that Sunday. Shoot me a PM if you want to make the trek out to see the older sisters.

MarkDaSpark

Sure I can take 2, but in your case, I can always strap you to the hood or roof.

I can even take 3, with proper notice. Just not on long trips (as RJ can attest).

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:Only one who might show would be the one younger than me, so you wouldn't know her

We are having the annual passover open house on that Sunday. Shoot me a PM if you want to make the trek out to see the older sisters.

Single? Oh wait, they're your sisters not MichelleShari's!

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Tentatively add Mark's nephew and nephew's wife to the list.

I also have a 100% Counoise if anyone needs it for the century club.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Not sure what wines molarchae and I will bring, but we are strongly considering making a matza lasagne. Thoughts from the other Passover observers? That'd eliminate the meaty options.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Not sure what wines molarchae and I will bring, but we are strongly considering making a matza lasagne. Thoughts from the other Passover observers? That'd eliminate the meaty options.

Bacon?

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Bacon?

Only if you feel like torturing that small subset of the Passover-observant who don't also keep kosher during the rest of the year

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

klezman wrote:Not sure what wines molarchae and I will bring, but we are strongly considering making a matza lasagne. Thoughts from the other Passover observers? That'd eliminate the meaty options.

I was going to bring some kind of food, I know enough to avoid pork and shell fish but what else wont my observant friends not be eating.

CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Only if you feel like torturing that small subset of the Passover-observant who don't also keep kosher during the rest of the year

So no Chocolate covered Bacon?

kylemittskus

I think I'm changing my bottles. Instead of the VdF, I'm leaning towards an 07 Hendry's mini-horizontal. And I'll bring the Vranec for the C club. Eh?

tytiger58

Without bacon and shell fish whats left??

tytiger58

For the century club I can throw in a 2010 Kir-yianni Petra "Roditis"

time2testit

tytiger58 wrote:For the century club I can throw in a 2010 Kir-yianni Petra "Roditis"

Cool! And is the century club defunct? We finally made it (we think...need to double check) but I read that they were no more?

MarkDaSpark

time2testit wrote:Cool! And is the century club defunct? We finally made it (we think...need to double check) but I read that they were no more?

Nope.

You may be thinking of the Century Supper Club in West LA.

Edit: Up to 171, IIRC, but the Roditis won't help since I already have it.

klezman

time2testit wrote:Cool! And is the century club defunct? We finally made it (we think...need to double check) but I read that they were no more?

Not defunct, just *very* slow in sending out certificates. I sent my thing in July and just got it a few weeks ago. They figured I was being very quick about it since they gave me doppel status immediately. Now I have to live up to it.

klezman

cortot20 wrote:I was going to bring some kind of food, I know enough to avoid pork and shell fish but what else wont my observant friends not be eating.

Sounds like it depends on the person. Molarchae and I will be bringing a milk dish, so we won't be eating meat. Fish would be fine. Then due to Passover it's anything made with a grain that's no good. The time2testit's are a little more strict. Having said that, there's only so much planning around us that makes sense. If there's chocolate covered bacon, we'll just take some home for post-Passover.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Sounds like it depends on the person. Molarchae and I will be bringing a milk dish, so we won't be eating meat. Fish would be fine. Then due to Passover it's anything made with a grain that's no good. The time2testit's are a little more strict. Having said that, there's only so much planning around us that makes sense. If there's chocolate covered bacon, we'll just take some home for post-Passover.

Wait ... I thought grain was ok, but it had to be unleavened (thus Matzos)?

And no choc bacon for you!

cortot20

klezman wrote:Sounds like it depends on the person. Molarchae and I will be bringing a milk dish, so we won't be eating meat. Fish would be fine. Then due to Passover it's anything made with a grain that's no good. The time2testit's are a little more strict. Having said that, there's only so much planning around us that makes sense. If there's chocolate covered bacon, we'll just take some home for post-Passover.

Sounds good. I was thinking of an appetizer. No grain does make it interesting though.

CT

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Wait ... I thought grain was ok, but it had to be unleavened (thus Matzos)?

And no choc bacon for you!

So much easier to exclude it than to explain all the rules. But yes, unleavened grain is ok if sufficiently certified etc.

time2testit

OK. If you really want the complicated details, This is from a site I found:

"While many Jews adhere to the same rules for buying Passover foods before and during the holiday, Jewish Law actually draws an important distinction. Certain leniencies are permitted for some foods if they are produced before Passover begins. Still other foods must adhere to the same standard irrespective of when they are produced. The following guidelines, prepared by the Conservative Movement’s Committee on Law and Standards, clarify these possibilities:

PROHIBITED FOODS

Leavened bread, cakes, biscuits, crackers, cereals, coffee ‘‘blends’’, wheat, barley, oats, rice, dry peas, dry beans, and all liquids which contain ingredients or flavors made from grain alcohol or vinegar (other than cider vinegar). For Ashkenazi Jews (which I believe all of us that will be attending are), the tradition is not to eat peas, corn, rice, beans or other legumes, because their flour closely resembles hametz; string beans are permitted.

PERMITTED FOODS

1. The following foods require no "Kosher for Passover’’ label if purchased prior to Passover: Unopened packages or containers of coffee (plain, not blends), pure white sugar, plain tea bags, salt (uniodized), pepper, pure spices, frozen fruit juices with no additives, honey, frozen (uncooked) vegetables (except legumes, as above), milk, butter, cottage cheese, cream cheese, fresh fruit and vegetables, kosher meat and poultry (fresh and frozen) and fish, baking soda, frozen (uncooked) fruit (with no additives), ripened cheeses (such as cheddar, muenster and Camembert), baking soda, 100% pure saccharin tablets.

2. The following foods require no "Kosher for Passover" label if purchased before or during Pesah: Fresh fruits and vegetables (for legumes, see above), eggs, fresh meat and fresh fish, as well as all detergents, cleansers and scouring powders that are certified kosher year-round.

3. The following foods require a "Kosher for Passover" label if purchased before or during Pesah: All baked products (matzah, cakes, matzah flour, farfel, matzah meal and any products containing matzah), canned or bottled fruit juices (which are often clarified with legumes), canned tuna (since tuna, even when packed in water, has often been processed in vegetable broth and/or hydrolyzed protein; however, if it is known that the tuna is packed exclusively in water, without any additional ingredients or additives, it may be purchased without a kosher for Passover label), wine, vinegar, liquor, oils, dried fruits, candy, chocolate milk, ice cream, yogurt, soda."

Fun, right? I guess it's still better than being slaves in Egypt...(and um disregard the reference in the number 3 to a certain grape product)

tytiger58

time2testit wrote:OK. If you really want the complicated details, This is from a site I found:

"While many Jews adhere to the same rules for buying Passover foods before and during the holiday, Jewish Law actually draws an important distinction. Certain leniencies are permitted for some foods if they are produced before Passover begins. Still other foods must adhere to the same standard irrespective of when they are produced. The following guidelines, prepared by the Conservative Movement’s Committee on Law and Standards, clarify these possibilities:

PROHIBITED FOODS

Leavened bread, cakes, biscuits, crackers, cereals, coffee ‘‘blends’’, wheat, barley, oats, rice, dry peas, dry beans, and all liquids which contain ingredients or flavors made from grain alcohol or vinegar (other than cider vinegar). For Ashkenazi Jews (which I believe all of us that will be attending are), the tradition is not to eat peas, corn, rice, beans or other legumes, because their flour closely resembles hametz; string beans are permitted.

PERMITTED FOODS

1. The following foods require no "Kosher for Passover’’ label if purchased prior to Passover: Unopened packages or containers of coffee (plain, not blends), pure white sugar, plain tea bags, salt (uniodized), pepper, pure spices, frozen fruit juices with no additives, honey, frozen (uncooked) vegetables (except legumes, as above), milk, butter, cottage cheese, cream cheese, fresh fruit and vegetables, kosher meat and poultry (fresh and frozen) and fish, baking soda, frozen (uncooked) fruit (with no additives), ripened cheeses (such as cheddar, muenster and Camembert), baking soda, 100% pure saccharin tablets.

2. The following foods require no "Kosher for Passover" label if purchased before or during Pesah: Fresh fruits and vegetables (for legumes, see above), eggs, fresh meat and fresh fish, as well as all detergents, cleansers and scouring powders that are certified kosher year-round.

3. The following foods require a "Kosher for Passover" label if purchased before or during Pesah: All baked products (matzah, cakes, matzah flour, farfel, matzah meal and any products containing matzah), canned or bottled fruit juices (which are often clarified with legumes), canned tuna (since tuna, even when packed in water, has often been processed in vegetable broth and/or hydrolyzed protein; however, if it is known that the tuna is packed exclusively in water, without any additional ingredients or additives, it may be purchased without a kosher for Passover label), wine, vinegar, liquor, oils, dried fruits, candy, chocolate milk, ice cream, yogurt, soda."

Fun, right? I guess it's still better than being slaves in Egypt...(and um disregard the reference in the number 3 to a certain grape product)

Well then just ignore me eating all the bacon and lobster

rjquillin

The food stuff just gives me a headache.
Do I owe anyone bottles I need to start looking for?

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:The food stuff just gives me a headache.
Do I owe anyone bottles I need to start looking for?

Me too!
Oy vey!

CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

I'm planning on being there.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

kylemittskus

zTimothyBz wrote:I'm planning on being there.

And your +1?

rjquillin

Tim, you brought something unusual to a gathering either at your locker or Klez's that was good for a century counter. Recall what it was?

tnx

CT

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:Well then just ignore me eating all the bacon and lobster

If I'm gonna bring food-stuffs, as an agnostic I need suggestions with dietary concerns.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Tim, you brought something unusual to a gathering either at your locker or Klez's that was good for a century counter. Recall what it was?

tnx

It was at klez's. Clay-colored bottle, sweet... I bet it's in the last thread.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:It was at klez's. Clay-colored bottle, sweet... I bet it's in the last thread.

Only comment I could find was "Georgian wine I received as a gift"

Tim?

CT