WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How do you feel about organic wines?
  • 28% - Oh God. Not my wine now, too! 365
  • 36.8% - I didn’t even know this was a thing. 479
  • 17.8% - I can’t really tell the difference. 232
  • 6% - I’ve had some and it was delicious. 78
  • 8.8% - It makes me feel better about what I’m consuming. 115
  • 2.5% - Other (comments, please) 33
1302 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

lol! I'm drinking one now. :-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

btpaschke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btpaschke

I prefer inorganic wines...based on silicon or maybe nitrogen. No carbon for me, thanks.

werdwerdus

quality posts: 14 Private Messages werdwerdus

"Organic" is a giant scam

Croz1007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Croz1007

Not much of a wine drinker. I feel it is for uppity a-holes. Plus, I have never really understood the pairing of wine with food. I have had it paired for me and it still tasted bad.

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM
Croz1007 wrote:Not much of a wine drinker. I feel it is for uppity a-holes. Plus, I have never really understood the pairing of wine with food. I have had it paired for me and it still tasted bad.

Wow, Croz. Then why are you here?

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

jbhoy19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbhoy19

As long as it isn't significanlty more expensive and tastes as good then I am in. But are there any like that?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

I refuse to answer under advisement of my cardiologist.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Completely indifferent towards them - that is, a wine being labeled 'organic' will have absolutely no bearing on whether or not I buy it.

The 'organic' fad is kind of a waste of time. I remember back in my college days, before I was aware that 'organic' was a thing, I had an flank vegan roommate that I did not get along very well with, and once when I was snacking on some potato chips he asked, rather condescendingly, whether I ever 'ate anything organic.' I replied, somewhat confused, that I sure do, as meats and cheeses are organic. I don't think he appreciated that reply very much.

eblessman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eblessman

Most of the good wines are, they just aren't pretentious enough to say it.
They need to put it on the labels using that font called "sarcasm".

Frankster14

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Frankster14
werdwerdus wrote:"Organic" is a giant scam

+1 agreed...organic = charge more

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt
Croz1007 wrote:Not much of a wine drinker. I feel it is for uppity a-holes. Plus, I have never really understood the pairing of wine with food. I have had it paired for me and it still tasted bad.

Kinda an uppity a-hole attitude to think people you don't know are uppity a-holes because they drink wine.

moxdoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moxdoc

I am a bit of a wine snob, and the wines marketed as organic, and the ones I have tried have not compared in flavor or body compared to wines not markets as organic.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Wait, all wines aren't organic?

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

kylemittskus

moxdoc wrote:I am a bit of a wine snob, and the wines marketed as organic, and the ones I have tried have not compared in flavor or body compared to wines not markets as organic.

That makes zero sense.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Well, there are two things going on here. One is wine flavor/taste. Second, organic vs inorganic preference. I watched Food Inc., the movie, last week andit has impacted my buying decisions. I cannot tekl the difference in taste between an organic or inorganic wine (biodynakic ones as well). However, peticides on grapes canjot be a good thong. That being said, I buy wine based on my prefernces nd recs, never on wheteher it s organic or not.
But, I am know buying fruits, veghies, and dairy that are organic. In addition, I am trying to buy onoy grass-fed beef and free range chicken.

*edit: sorry about spelling. Hard to type on an Ipad with a four and two year old on one's grill

"The older I get the better I was"

Korista

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Korista

Interesting question. There are some foods I prefer to buy organic, but I'd never thought about organic wine.

Did a very quick internet search and came across these ....

Outcome the research...

I'm willing to believe that winegrowers, within the boundaries of remaining profitable (so they can stay in business), would tend towards sustainable practices. Grape vines live something like 50 to 70 years? I think a vineyard owner would be concerned about the long term, cumulative impact of any potentially dangerous chemical in the soil or water. Replanting early because some chemical warped the vine and ruined the grapes can't be profitable, but neither can replanting early because some fungus or insect infested the vines and ruined the grapes.

Clearly there is continued testing and research going on. I'm concerned, but at this point willing to trust that growers and wine producers are trying to do the right thing.

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

I'm happy for the environment when organic practices are used but I don't seek out organic wines and don't think there is really any difference in taste/quality. My g/f's sister prefers organic wines because she claims that they have less sulfates so she doesn't get headaches from drinking them.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
chipgreen wrote:I'm happy for the environment when organic practices are used but I don't seek out organic wines and don't think there is really any difference in taste/quality. My g/f's sister prefers organic wines because she claims that they have less sulfates so she doesn't get headaches from drinking them.

Your CT link says this smart guy: "You do not have permissions to browse this cellar. This user has explicitly disallowed access to their cellar."

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
cycokiller wrote:Your CT link says this smart guy: "You do not have permissions to browse this cellar. This user has explicitly disallowed access to their cellar."

Must be you, works great for me.
Nice cellar Chip.
Now go back to your Atari.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Must be you, works great for me.
Nice cellar Chip.
Now go back to your Atari.

Zing!

alecfalzone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alecfalzone
btpaschke wrote:I prefer inorganic wines...based on silicon or maybe nitrogen. No carbon for me, thanks.

Si and N aren't inorganic silly

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

This is an interesting question for sure. I don't think the term 'organic' is a bad one to use when referring to wine at all - the problems are that a) it is misunderstood and b) as others have pointed out, it is oftnetimes used for marketing purposes mainly . . .

I truly have not found that 'organic' wines offer much more or less than other wines. The practices necessary to call a wine 'organic' are still a little fuzzy to me - is that the practices in the vineyard? The practices in the cellar? The bottling practices?

My guess is that you can still use sulfur in your practices and call it organic since this is an organic compound . . .

As with most things wine, I am open minded when it comes to different practices - just don't infer something is 'better' because of these practices, though . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cycokiller wrote:Your CT link says this smart guy: "You do not have permissions to browse this cellar. This user has explicitly disallowed access to their cellar."

It is probably set to allow viewing by all registered users. If you aren't sign-up/logged-in to CT, then you can't view.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:Nice cellar Chip.

Don't encourage him, he is out of control. Not Sparky out of control, but out of control none-the-less.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
tercerowines wrote:
My guess is that you can still use sulfur in your practices and call it organic since this is an organic compound . . .

Thanks for dropping in Larry. I may stand corrected, but I don't think the form of sulfur used in the wine making process is on the approved organic list. Folks with sulfide allergies typically seek out organic wines to avoid it.

I have a neutral attitude when it comes to organic farming. If that's what the winery chooses to do that's fine. In terms of wine making, I don't believe any sacrifices to the quality of the wine should be made just in order to be branded organic. I also don't think it should be used in marketing.

Larry - Didn't see you on the attendee list for D&D... are you still going to make an appearance?