WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When menus suggest wine pairings with their dishes, do you try them?
  • 37.2% - Never 366
  • 45.4% - Sometimes 447
  • 1.6% - Always 16
  • 15.8% - I’ve never actually seen this on a menu 155
984 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

I just ignore the pairing and order $80 worth of pickles. Nothing like pickles and wine.

CT

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

The rare times I have wine at a restaurant (obviously overpriced--that's how they get you), I ask the sommelier to choose a wine.

nastyducky

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nastyducky
curtisuxor wrote:The rare times I have wine at a restaurant (obviously overpriced--that's how they get you), I ask the sommelier to choose a wine.

That's safest - they're usually pretty knowledgeable about which wines taste good with certain dishes. If you try to order on your own and get a bad mismatch of food flavors with wine flavors, you can end up with weird rotten or sickly-sweet tastes, or even sensations a bit similar to chewing on aluminum foil.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Sheesh.. you have to be making a lot more money than me to be eating at the type of places that actually have food-wine pairings on their menus :P

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
cycokiller wrote:Sheesh.. you have to be making a lot more money than me to be eating at the type of places that actually have food-wine pairings on their menus :P

Not a high price thing, Macaroni Grill gives wine suggestions on their menu.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Even Olive Garden does as well.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cycokiller wrote:Sheesh.. you have to be making a lot more money than me to be eating at the type of places that actually have food-wine pairings on their menus :P

Elder daughters' graduation from TCU we, a group of 13 or so, hit what I'd call reasonably upscale place (Truluck's) in Southlake and I ordered Cioppino which was quite nice. The rest were having steak so reds were on the table. I asked for a suggestion and ended up with a white I don't recall the name of, and just checked the wine list and it's no longer listed. Ended up with a glass! OK, I didn't specify a bottle, but nor was I asked. The wine came right out, during appetizers. I'm supposed to nurse a white till the main course that happened nearly 30~45 minutes later!? Worst pairing I've had in years, and yes, I did let him know. I actually think OG would have done better. They were out of two selections I had wanted to try...

Oh, and the check was on someone else.

CT