fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
cortot20 wrote:Maybe, since they are not cab. Flavored so I know Fred won't buy them all.

Why buy 1 jar of artisan pickles................when you can buy 12.

Cab flavored Pickles, excellent Idea in for 3

90mcg112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 90mcg112

I wanted to try SOME of these pickles, but a case of 12 is too many. I guess I can always hope that Woot may sell individual jars in a Woot Plus or Woot-off.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

'Kerosene cucumbers'
(Sorry. I can't read the word 'pickles' & not think about the Andy Griffith Show episode where Aunt Bee made the terrible pickles. 'The Pickle Story')

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

fredrinaldi

cortot20 wrote:Maybe, since they are not cab. Flavored so I know Fred won't buy them all.

Why buy 1 jar of artisan pickles................when you can buy 12.

Hey I bought some Petite Sirah yesterday on kylemittskus's recommendation
, A growth day for me

breezyc

quality posts: 4 Private Messages breezyc

I bought the Brooklyn Brine pickles the last time they were offered on Woot. That time it was a 3-pack of one each "Damn Spicy", "Spicy Maple Bourbon", & "Hop". While I haven't tried the "Hop" yet, the other two have to be the very best pickles I've ever had so far. (And I'm a hard-core spicy pickle lover.) Nice heat level without blowing the top of your head off, plus lots of flavor & a nice balance of acidity that doesn't leave you puckered.

That said, this is too much $$ & too many jars at one time for me. I'd much prefer a smaller offering like last time, with more choices.

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut

I love a good pickle, but this is way too much money and way too many jars, along with a few I probably wouldn't care for (Bourbon, blech). Beets and carrots as well? Ugh. I'll stick to Claussen, which is pretty awesome for my easygoing palatte. And there's a couple of decent local joints that make a good pickle, and spicy ones as well...

Dominater96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dominater96

Are these Kosher? If so, can you tell me what it says on your kosher certificate?

Hey Now!!

johnthebeeler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnthebeeler

I find your lack of faith in pickles disturbing.

For a good explanation why all of you are expecting pickles to be $2.97 for a huge jar, read this:
http://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Good pickles need good ingredients. The vegetables sit in a jar with vinegar for months and months at a time. Think about all that yucky stuff stewing in with your pickles over the course of a year. Blah.

Pickles are supposed to last. So why do so many pickles need preservatives?

These don't. Good ingredients, brewing and brining.

12 jars cost $100+S&H from Brooklyn Brine, so in terms of market value this isn't bad. Maybe not a 5-alarm woot - but not bad.

As far as quantity: eat half of them over the next year, and give away the other half every once in a while to a foodie.

vrthomas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vrthomas
LauraMc wrote:Got these last time around but be warned, when the label says "damn spicy", it's damn spicy.

As i said last time, it isn't the damn spicy you have to watch out for. The spicy bourbon is the true hot pickle (damn scotch bonnet)

vrthomas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vrthomas

Also, I just wanted to mention that last time I purchased these (August) I went in for 3, so 9 jars of pickles was $79.

This deal has free beets, carrots, and saurkraut in my book.

brooklynbrine

quality posts: 9 Private Messages brooklynbrine

YES! We are Kosher! We are under Rabianical supervision by Rabbi Samuel Gringras. The certificate is Kashruth. The symbol is K O S C.

Dominater96 wrote:Are these Kosher? If so, can you tell me what it says on your kosher certificate?

cordycepsis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cordycepsis

I'm a big fan of these pickles ever since I got some for Christmas a while back. Yes, they're pricy, but they're well worth it.

I love Ba-Tampte, they're a good everyday pickle, but these are something special. If Ba-Tampte is a $10 bottle of Jack, these are a small-batch, well-aged single barrel bourbon. Fantastic for gifts, or for yourself if you feel like you're worth top-shelf stuff.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
FlamingoNut wrote:blarg

FYI: Your signature makes it difficult to mouse wheel scroll down the center of the page. Especially if you've posted multiple times on one page. I'm not angry with you. I'm just sayin'...

Dominater96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dominater96
brooklynbrine wrote:YES! We are Kosher! We are under Rabianical supervision by Rabbi Samuel Gringras. The certificate is Kashruth. The symbol is K O S C.

Great! I am in!

Hey Now!!

sirvlciv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirvlciv

Does anyone know the sugar content of each of the varieties (namely the Maples)?

I'm going hardcore no-sugar, but I love pickles, and am sorely tempted.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

wish i could pick and choose which to buy. i love pickles but i know there are a few varieties i would never touch in this offering...

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

Love pickles, REALLY want the sauerkraut, hop and carrots, but since I detest sweet pickles and 8 of these talk about "sweet" or "semi-sweet"--no thanks. Also $85 for 12 jars seems pretty over-the-top. Any chance of single type sales later?

penguin9271

quality posts: 6 Private Messages penguin9271

Yay for pickles, kraut and other fermented goodies! I'm in for 1 but will probably be sad I didn't get more--loves me some pickles.

galbosm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages galbosm

How do these compare to Wickles? In terms of spiciness?

cordycepsis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cordycepsis
cole103 wrote:Love pickles, REALLY want the sauerkraut, hop and carrots, but since I detest sweet pickles and 8 of these talk about "sweet" or "semi-sweet"--no thanks.

In general, I cannot STAND bread and butter or other sweet pickles. These are an exception, though; they're great on crackers with a bit of goat cheese, or on a spicy sausage.

frenchbreakfast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frenchbreakfast

We've tried just about all of these and think they're ok. You can make your own and they'll taste better.

This company leans toward the strong flavors. When they say something is spicy, they mean it. And this is coming from someone who puts sriracha in EVERYthing. ;)

Their chipotle carrots are popular with my daughter...when they aren't too spicy. Yes, the different batches are inconsistent. That's ok, though. It simply means you're not getting your pickles from a McD's.

All in all, I'd say, if you haven't tried them yet, go for it. Just save the juice to make your own batch.

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

by the time I ate 12 jars of pickles, I would hate them. 3 jars would interest way more people, not counting the 80.00 for them

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

aphexburn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aphexburn

Purchased these the last time they were sold. The maple and hop pickles were OK, only could eat a few in a sitting. The spicy ones were great. In the end I think the price is too high, but that's what you get when you purchase "artisan" products.

meanjoeira

quality posts: 4 Private Messages meanjoeira
DigMe wrote:The word "artisan" has now officially lost all meaning.

A little late to this party, eh?

leonbev

quality posts: 10 Private Messages leonbev

I've had these before when William Sonoma was demoing them, and they were delicious.

I really don't have a need for this many pickles, though!

Lostinservice

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lostinservice
honeybadger12 wrote:there's that marketing buzzword again.. "artisan"

Artisan is, of course, the "Nieuw Breukelen" term for "I learned to make it from a youtube video."

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo

I would really love to see some nutritional stats. Trying to lose weight, so I'm counting all my calories. Pickles tend to be pretty low-cal, but with these fancy varieties, I really need to be sure of hard numbers before I enter them into my food diary. : /

dvlman00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dvlman00

I want to order these, but I don't have $80. I sure am in a -- Darnit! What's the word I'm looking for?

Ah! QUANDRY! That's it.

brooklynbrine

if you e-mail me at brooklynbrine@gmail.com I can give you nutritional info on most of our products. We are redesigning our labels, and nutritional info will be included.

Cheers!

stinawargo wrote:I would really love to see some nutritional stats. Trying to lose weight, so I'm counting all my calories. Pickles tend to be pretty low-cal, but with these fancy varieties, I really need to be sure of hard numbers before I enter them into my food diary. : /

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
cortot20 wrote:I see what you did there.

that's what she said

grenade01

quality posts: 5 Private Messages grenade01

I would so be down if the pickles were something other than cucumber. Cucumber makes the worst of all pickles!

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Kinda of interesting how 80 bucks worth of pickles can generate a lot of conversation. For some reason, I've enjoyed reading this thread today (& the one about the scariest sea creature over on plain/regular WOOT).

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower
skispeakeasy wrote:These pickles have a much better taste than your average bottled pickle. You also save about 20% over what it would cost in your local whole foods to buy 12.

Anything is less than Whole Foods, particularly in bulk.

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower
brooklynbrine wrote:if you e-mail me at brooklynbrine@gmail.com I can give you nutritional info on most of our products. We are redesigning our labels, and nutritional info will be included.

Cheers!

I assume these are fine for those on a low sodium diet

Jixiar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jixiar

As someone who makes their own pickles, I'd like to defend this price.

For one, three of the jars are 24oz, or a quart. That's a healthy size for pickles, not to mention the weight of the glass. The rest are 16oz, which doesn't give you a lot, but these are special items. As a sauerkraut fanatic, I'd want 24oz of that.

For another, making pickles is a LOT OF WORK! Sure, you're working with large batches, but you're not working with 5000 gallon vats, either. Also, pickle brine is NOT NICE to your skin! I spent a week with no fingerprints after loading 16 jars of hot garlic pickles, but forgot to wear gloves.

Yes, they're expensive? But you're getting a lot of love in those jars. Treasure and savor them.

Tamstress

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tamstress

I'm sure mine is an unusual complaint, but b/c there's actual whiskey in the whiskey-flavored pickles, I can't order them for my deployed friends as they violate good old Gen Order #1. This sucks, as I can think of a half-dozen guys who'd love to sit down and savor these pickled veggies after 10 hours in a bomb suit. Le sigh.

Woot was I thinking? Whar was my head?

fredrinaldi

Too many, give me a choice of some for say 30 bucks, A year or so ago I bought the "Barrel" of olives, threw more than half away, just couldn't eat that much olives, this seems the same.
Now if they had Cab flavored.........

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia
grenade01 wrote:I would so be down if the pickles were something other than cucumber. Cucumber makes the worst of all pickles!

I love Japanese pickles, since they make them out of daikon, carrots, eggplant, and other veggies, and they tend to be more on the mild side. But I love cucumber ones too. Going to give these a try, pickles for a year!

brooklynbrine

Alcohol is 110 percent cooked off! Order away

Tamstress wrote:I'm sure mine is an unusual complaint, but b/c there's actual whiskey in the whiskey-flavored pickles, I can't order them for my deployed friends as they violate good old Gen Order #1. This sucks, as I can think of a half-dozen guys who'd love to sit down and savor these pickled veggies after 10 hours in a bomb suit. Le sigh.

squirrrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squirrrl
rolede wrote:I've tried these.
They are WAY OVERPRICED !!!

A much better pickle is Ba-Tampte, made in Brooklyn since the mid '50's
Lots of stores carry them-

http://www.batamptepickle.com/

I love Ba-Tampte... especially their half sours!