Maybe:
aranderson
cjsiege
InShadows +1
InShadows +1

Regrets on a chilling experience:
bahwm

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Please talk amongst yourselves for a theme. I was thinking maybe either D&D East Coast or and I know this might be overkill for a theme but a ice wine or late harvest tasting since it's winter. If we go with the second we might have to have dentists and blood sugar tested after the tasting.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
InShadows wrote:Please talk amongst yourselves for a theme. I was thinking maybe either D&D East Coast or and I know this might be overkill for a theme but a ice wine or late harvest tasting since it's winter. If we go with the second we might have to have dentists and blood sugar tested after the tasting.

Even a D&D theme might have a dental visit for teeth whitening afterwards! :-)

D&D East would be interesting, but an Icewine theme would let the people who don't make it to Niagara have some fun.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

It is my brother's birthday. If he isn't still living with me then I should be available.

CT

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
InShadows wrote:Theme: Unknown

Date: February 23rd
Time: 7:00 pm
Host: InShadows

Coming
InShadows

How late will you be going? I am committed to another event until around 8:30 that night.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

Ill be around. Let me know what y'all decide.

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

InShadows

mstein609, we should still be going strong at 8:30pm. I doubt anyone will leave until at least 11pm and the party can keep going until way after that as well.

mstein609 and sukeiasa and anyone else joining us. I need the feedback so that we can decide on something. Otherwise I'll put up a title of bring your corked bottles and we'll have those!

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

sukeiasa

InShadows wrote:mstein609, we should still be going strong at 8:30pm. I doubt anyone will leave until at least 11pm and the party can keep going until way after that as well.

mstein609 and sukeiasa and anyone else joining us. I need the feedback so that we can decide on something. Otherwise I'll put up a title of bring your corked bottles and we'll have those!

Lets so corked bottles next time... I found a large number of way past prime wine in my dad's collection when I was in Cali last weekend... I will bring some back next time hahahah....

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sukeiasa

sukeiasa wrote:Lets so corked bottles next time... I found a large number of way past prime wine in my dad's collection when I was in Cali last weekend... I will bring some back next time hahahah....

I wonder if I have any ps at home right now? Interesting.... I like the sweet wine idea but I don't know if I can handle only sweet wine...

What about... Non Californian wines?

wkdpanda

I sort of like the idea of non-Cali wines. But that leaves the world open. Do we want to narrow that down some?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

mstein609

wkdpanda wrote:I sort of like the idea of non-Cali wines. But that leaves the world open. Do we want to narrow that down some?

For the last occasion I had suggested a theme of, "They made that WHERE?!" Not just non-CA, but wines that come from anywhere you don't normally think of as being associated with wine at all. (A slightly more liberal version of the theme would also permit wines from standard regions if they were not typical varietals for the region.)

sukeiasa

I think that would be more fun when I become more experienced and knowledgable... And for all I know that basically preclude all wine from California since I really can't think of too many grapes that they don't grow there... But for me, someone who is still learning what each region would 'typically' produce... Focusing on the unique stuff is a bit advanced... If we are going to do that, I'd rather we bring 2 bottles with similar taste and show one to be representative of a region and another bottle that taste similar but from a completely different region... And to tell you the truth, I would have no idea how to pick what to bring... :P

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

InShadows, good to see you take the torch for this one.

Looks like I will be in town for this and should be able to make it. I have been gone a lot but have a bit of a break the end of February beginning of March. I like the idea of tasting some dessert wines, but only dessert wines is too much.

Could do a combination theme like Sweet and Sour. Sweet could be dessert wines and sour could be typically tart or acidic wines like a chianti a PS or a tart dry white wine. Another is Fire and Ice where ice is ice wines and fire could be based on labels that include fire or fire in the name or could be typically "hot" wines like high alcohol Zinfandels .

CT

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm a "maybe" for now. I have a friend who will be *very* pregnant by then, and I get to be the designated babysitter for the 2 y.o. sibling if she goes into labor.

hershelk

Any decision on a theme? InShadows, your place, your choice.

CT

InShadows

hershelk wrote:Any decision on a theme? InShadows, your place, your choice.

I like the idea of the Sweet and Sour.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

My two cents (and our regrets, as well ): Typically, I do not like sweet wines. However, Icewines and Late Harvest wines are wonderful! I really don't get tired of them when we go up North for the Icewine Festival. You will want to have some appropriate foods/desserts to work with them to help cut some of the sweetness. ddeuddeg's Autumn Cheesecake paired perfectly with the '07 Pillitteri Riesling Icewine.

Edit: I just checked the link in PB's sig and ddeuddeg has not added the Autumn Cheesecake to the DCC (ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook). I'm sure he could do that. He has been making that one for many years and one of our friends mentioned it a few weeks ago as being her favorite and that's when he decided to make it for our gathering last week! It is really easy to make, too.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

wkdpanda

Throw me down as coming. I have a nice Gewürztraminer ice wine I picked up last week. Not sure what I will do for the sour/tart.

Maybe I will go crazy and bring something non-wine.

-Andy

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

InShadows

wkdpanda wrote:Throw me down as coming. I have a nice Gewürztraminer ice wine I picked up last week. Not sure what I will do for the sour/tart.

Maybe I will go crazy and bring something non-wine.

-Andy

You don't have to bring multiple wines. We'll just try and get someone now to bring a sour wine instead of a sweet one. But if you want to bring another wine, I'm not going to stop you.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

sukeiasa

InShadows wrote:You don't have to bring multiple wines. We'll just try and get someone now to bring a sour wine instead of a sweet one. But if you want to bring another wine, I'm not going to stop you.

i might have a bottle of wine that turned sour? hahaha

mstein609

InShadows wrote:We'll just try and get someone now to bring a sour wine instead of a sweet one.

I will bring a Loire Sauvignon Blanc. I believe I have another bottle of Ricard Point d'Interrogation Touraine 2008; if not then I definitely have some nice Sancerres.

Could you please PM me with the address?

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Greetings to the NoVA/DC crowd. The old timers may remember the Blink household although I haven't been on the forums much of late. Well, 4 of the GrandBlinks (and their parents) are moving to NoVA so the Blinks may be interested in joining in your wine woot activities - wine and grandkids are a great combination. Unfortunately they arrive on Monday the 25th so we'll miss this occasion but look forward to using the next one as an excuse to visit. Look forward to visiting with you.

UBlink

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

InShadows

UBlink wrote:Greetings to the NoVA/DC crowd. The old timers may remember the Blink household although I haven't been on the forums much of late. Well, 4 of the GrandBlinks (and their parents) are moving to NoVA so the Blinks may be interested in joining in your wine woot activities - wine and grandkids are a great combination. Unfortunately they arrive on Monday the 25th so we'll miss this occasion but look forward to using the next one as an excuse to visit. Look forward to visiting with you.

UBlink

Sorry that you can't make it to this event but we look forward to seeing the Blinks at a later one.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

UBlink wrote:Greetings to the NoVA/DC crowd. The old timers may remember the Blink household although I haven't been on the forums much of late. Well, 4 of the GrandBlinks (and their parents) are moving to NoVA so the Blinks may be interested in joining in your wine woot activities - wine and grandkids are a great combination. Unfortunately they arrive on Monday the 25th so we'll miss this occasion but look forward to using the next one as an excuse to visit. Look forward to visiting with you.

UBlink

Wonderful news for us!!! There will surely be more get-togethers around here. Just let us know when you are in the neighborhood! We can pull together something rather quickly if needed -- just as otolith!

And how is little Pi Blink doing these days?

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
cjsiege wrote:Wonderful news for us!!! There will surely be more get-togethers around here. Just let us know when you are in the neighborhood! We can pull together something rather quickly if needed -- just as otolith!

And how is little Pi Blink doing these days?

The X-man (his name starts with Chi) is doing well. A little small but a pretty smart little guy at 26 months. And he needs to be because he has twin 7 month old sisters to keep an eye on.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

wkdpanda

So, my +1 and I are looking forward to this. We are experimenting with an horderves to pair with the Gewurtz Ice wine I am bringing.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

UBlink wrote:The X-man (his name starts with Chi) is doing well. A little small but a pretty smart little guy at 26 months. And he needs to be because he has twin 7 month old sisters to keep an eye on.

Awesome!!!

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

Yes, I want to attend.
I've got Moscato D'Asti, but if we've got too much sweet then perhaps a sour cherry PN?

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

What are others bringing tomorrow.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

hershelk

I thought I might bring XOCO white from Horton. It is a chocolate infused wine. I also thought I might contribute to the tart side with a Petite Syrah. Not sure on the food front.

CT

mstein609

There is a possibility that I will have a +1. Won't know for sure until tomorrow night.

sukeiasa

completely forgot about this for tomorrow night.... and just realized that there is a wizards game too.... i'll be late pending how much of a blow out it is tmr night.

i'll bring a sweet wine of some sort... especially since i'm not sure what constitute sour wine....

sukeiasa

@inshadows: this is happening at your place right?

InShadows

sukeiasa wrote:@inshadows: this is happening at your place right?

Indeed it is. Let me know if you need the address again.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

hershelk

I stopped by the Mediterranean market today, so I will also bring some humus, pita chips and grape leaves.. I think I also have some wine filled chocolate I'll throw in the bag.

CT

sukeiasa

big thanks to inshadows for hosting!!
sorry i was late, but had a great time... including when i used pita chips on whipped salted caramel....

with that said... definitely sweetness overload! i need water...

sukeiasa

oh, and a random question: what's the difference between sales tax of wine in dc vs. va?

cjsiege

Thank you for hosting, IS! While I may not have been imbibing last night, I had a wonderful time seeing everyone and talking wine.

mstein609

sukeiasa wrote:oh, and a random question: what's the difference between sales tax of wine in dc vs. va?

DC is 9%; VA is 5%. So for a big enough wine purchase, it could be cheaper to have it shipped from DC than to buy it in person.

InShadows

Nothing like reviving an old thread. Anyways I finally got around to posting the images of the wines from the gathering. They can be reached at the googles.

Also as discussed at the event I have started a google groups mailing list in case people don't come to this forum much. The google group is here. There is a signup but I'll practically allow anyone to join. Just add your wine.woot handle to the request.

And we need to start planning for the next one.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings