ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
deckerbrian wrote:I don't recall Barbera in the blend before? Is this new?

It is new with this wine because I wanted to add some bright red fruit to the center of the wine.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo

Hey Scott -

Great to see you back! And I cannot thank you enough for your hospitality to the wooters this last summer - as always, over-the-top fantastic!

And ... if you are going to be a judge at the Michigan Wines event, please let me know.

Cheers!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
ScottHarveyWines wrote:It is 5 bottles so that we can get to the best price out there for the woot buyers. We like to give woot our best deal. We have so much fun with the woot community.

And the woot community appreciates it! Your wines and your participation hereabouts are always welcome.

That SIWBM that almost fell over when Stillman brought his PS to woot the other day? It held that day, but not this day. I'm in.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ScottHarveyWines

boatman72 wrote:Question for Scott - Does the weather have more impact on average established vines or 80+ year vines? I felt guilty for missing your dinner party in Wooster last year, but hopefully one of these years the stars and schedule will align! Thanks for bringing great wine here to us Wooters

We'll be doing another winemaker dinner in Wooster this year. We do it every year.
Weather has less effect on old vines than on younger ones. Older vine's roots go down 25 feet while a younger vine goes down only 6 feet. In a drought year the older vine's roots can find water at the deeper depths while the younger vine will suffer from lack of water. In a wet year the younger vine will get to much water and produce a thin watered down wine while the old vine's roots will get a more balanced water supply from the deeper depths. We always say older vines are just smarter than younger vines producing more consistant grapes from vintage to vintage.

valcich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valcich

Hey Scott,

I've had your wine before (not this one) and really enjoyed it. Any chance you could register in Maryland so we Baltimoreans could order some awesomeness?

ScottHarveyWines

luisifer777 wrote:So how this compares to the Jana old vine Zin?

The current offering of 2006 Jana Old Vine Zinfandel is a riper juicier wine. The Jana grapes were picked at higher brix and the resulting wine is more towards the plumier, jammy new world style, although the acidity and pH have been maintained to make the wine food friendly.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

So mad that I missed the two woot plus deals on the InZin magnum (maybe double mag?)... Sold too fast for me to hit that big yellow button.

I won't miss out on this one! Now that tough 5 or 10 question...

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

ScottHarveyWines

edoursler wrote:Thanks rpm. Is there a rule of thumb about age worthiness of sweet wine versus dry wine? Can you compare/contrast this wine to Scott's InZINerator (I like) ? In for one.

Both wines are made at about the same pH of 3.5ph to 3.6pH. pH depicts how long a wine will age. The lower the pH, the less oxygen it can absorb and the longer it will age. Add a little residual sugar and the ph needs to be just a little lower to have the same ageability. So, this dry wine will age longer than the InZinerator, but not by much.

KillerFox81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KillerFox81

I've been a Woot member for quite a while and have never pulled the trigger on a Scott Harvey wine. I've been waiting for Inzinerator but based on the comments, and the wonderful winery presentation, in for one. Time to start building that wine stash!!!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Hi Everyone,
Great to be back with one of my favorite wines. This 2010 is similar in structure and style to the 2009. The wine is younger and fresher, a little brighter and more complex due to the other vineyards mixed in. The Vineyard 1869 adds a little coffee while the Fiddletown adds bright cherry and tar and the Napa Zin adds some refinement.

Interesting, I had a 1981 Fiddletown zin a few weeks ago and there was still some bright cherry left in it. Actually it was so good you could not drink it standing up..made me weak in the knees Oh yea Zin can age!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
KillerFox81 wrote:I've been a Woot member for quite a while and have never pulled the trigger on a Scott Harvey wine. I've been waiting for Inzinerator but based on the comments, and the wonderful winery presentation, in for one. Time to start building that wine stash!!!

Hooray! Be sure to come on back and tell us what you thought when you open one!

I'm just hanging out, really.

mrn1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrn1

I just ordered this fine juice, but right after I hit the button I realized it was shipping to my home address and not the office address I have attached to my Woot account. How do I change the shipping address?

I heard about the Scott Harvey dinner last year in Wooster....when will this year's dinner be?

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Got a half case of this at Scotts' earlier for $21; yup, in for more at $16.
WD and Scott do it again. Stock up on these.
Klez, not quite local, but two for you.

Yeah, I thought you'd say that. I really want a whole set but really also can't justify it, so thanks!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ScottHarveyWines

plittgirl wrote:Hey, what's with leaving Maryland off the ship list? I've been getting Woot Wine for the last year and I'd love to try this Zin-drank all the Poizin we ordered in the fall.
PLEASE check and see why you're noit shipping to MD.

We don't have a license in Maryland. Give Carla a call here at the winery (707 968-9575)and she can help you.

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy

Normally speaking, Scott Harvey wines are the one true autobuy for me, but I really have no space at all for this... Plus I need a new car, so really have no business spending money on wine right now. But I did love the 1869... And everything else I've tried from Scott.
Sigh. I'm going to have to pass and then kick myself for the next couple of months for not getting it.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Both wines are made at about the same pH of 3.5ph to 3.6pH. pH depicts how long a wine will age. The lower the pH, the less oxygen it can absorb and the longer it will age. Add a little residual sugar and the ph needs to be just a little lower to have the same ageability. So, this dry wine will age longer than the InZinerator, but not by much.

Very interesting. Thanks Scott! I need to create more room so I can properly stock up on amazing offers like this in the future. Two bottles just doesn't seem like enough.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ScottHarveyWines

valcich wrote:Hey Scott,

I've had your wine before (not this one) and really enjoyed it. Any chance you could register in Maryland so we Baltimoreans could order some awesomeness?

That's a Jana decision. I'll ask her.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
ScottHarveyWines wrote:It is 5 bottles so that we can get to the best price out there for the woot buyers. We like to give woot our best deal. We have so much fun with the woot community.

And this is a rockin' deal, even better than wine club members get! Got some direct earlier, and stocking up on more now.

Thanks Scott, Jana, Monica and Carla.

Buy this!

CT

ScottHarveyWines

tytiger58 wrote:Interesting, I had a 1981 Fiddletown zin a few weeks ago and there was still some bright cherry left in it. Actually it was so good you could not drink it standing up..made me weak in the knees Oh yea Zin can age!

I remember that wine. It was the last year of a drought with 82 and 83 being big wet years. The 81 as well as the 91 were both wonderful years for Amador County. The pH on that 81 was down in the 3.4 range which has made it hold up.

ScottHarveyWines

mrn1 wrote:I just ordered this fine juice, but right after I hit the button I realized it was shipping to my home address and not the office address I have attached to my Woot account. How do I change the shipping address?

I heard about the Scott Harvey dinner last year in Wooster....when will this year's dinner be?

It is scheduled for Friday April the 19th. We used to always do it on Valentine's day, but Jana decided it was to cold. Funny, she is from Cleveland.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mrn1 wrote:I just ordered this fine juice, but right after I hit the button I realized it was shipping to my home address and not the office address I have attached to my Woot account. How do I change the shipping address?

I can't help with dinner but please contact support@woot.com right away and see if they can help.

I'm just hanging out, really.

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB
ScottHarveyWines wrote:The 2007 Vineyard 1869 is a leaner and more angular wine depicting the wonderful characteristics of Vineyard 1869. This wine has some of that with 22% of it being Vineyard 1869, but also has other things going on due to the other wines blended in. These other vineyards have married together to give you a Zinfandel that is less angular and more round in character and style.

Thanks Scott for the info. Sounds Sounds quite yummy.

I must stay away from your website... Too much yummy zin I keep seeing. I blame zmanonice for his woot wine dinner with a zinc vertical a couple years ago.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Just to add to the aging discussion, it is *generally* true that most zins should be enjoyed young. However, there are many fine exceptions to this rule. I have only opened one bottle of the 2009 vintage of today's offering because of it's very firm structure. I've actually noticed that a fair amount of Amador County zin tends to be firmer in structure indicating an ability to age.

Over the Holidays we opened a couple bottles of 2004 Limerick Lane Old Vines Zin (Russian River Valley) that was simply spectacular. This wine was good when we purchased it in 2007, but so much better now.

cortot20

quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20

This is something I want in my price range. So Kyle.............how about that split?

CT

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

We appreciate that Scott. You are always welcome here at woot! Now we just need 1869 at $16/btl...

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
KillerFox81 wrote:I've been a Woot member for quite a while and have never pulled the trigger on a Scott Harvey wine. I've been waiting for Inzinerator but based on the comments, and the wonderful winery presentation, in for one. Time to start building that wine stash!!!

you will not regret it. IMO this is a great deal on a great wine.

ScottHarveyWines

winedrew wrote:Morning Scott! Just wanted to give a big Wootnation hello to you!
Can you give our citizens a brief overview of the 2012 vintage?

The 2012 vintage was both a grape grower's and winemaker's delight. It is rare that this happens when both the grower and winemaker are happy with the vintage. The high yields of high quality fruit made this possible. Usually Mother Nature will give high yields of mediocre fruit or low yields of high quality fruit. This is a vintage much like 1975 that yielded both high quality and quantity. It was a classic growing season with normal rainfall amounts and no devastating spring frost. In late spring we had a stretch of good consistant weather during the flower and set. The growing season had consistant days of cool nights and mornings with warm days. We went into the growing season with a good healthy set and fortunately did not experince any of the devastating heat spikes during the growing and ripening season. The weather stayed dry during harvest allowing for slow and consistant ripening. All of these things led to a larger than normal crop for most varieties with good flavors and extraction while maintaining good acidity. The only problem was finding room in the cellar for all the extra grapes. It also made for a good year for the barrel and tank companies, as we were all scrambling to buy extra barrels and tanks to hold the bigger harvest.
This big high quality harvest comes after two short harvest. For those of us that like to make "Old World" style wines, the last two vinatges (2010 and 2011) produced wondeful wines that talk to you telling the stories of vintage, variety and region. The only problem is that there is not much of them. Thus, as we rolled into the 2012 vintage a shortage of wine was rapidly developing for California wineries. Now with a bigger than normal yield for 2012 we are not as short as predicted. This will slow down the increase in wine price that is currently happening. The rest of the world is not as fortunate as Califronia and is still experiencing a wine shortage.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Thanks for the summary of the 2012 vintage. Do you think the large amount of high quality fruit will lead to bulk sales of quality juice to more value oriented bottlers/winemakers?

ScottHarveyWines

SmilingBoognish wrote:Thanks for the summary of the 2012 vintage. Do you think the large amount of high quality fruit will lead to bulk sales of quality juice to more value oriented bottlers/winemakers?

Yes, there is a high demand for bulk Zinfandel due to all the bigger wineries trying to produce a Menage a Trois copy. A wine I developed as a Zinfandel blend that was sold to Sutter Home back in 2004. They have done a great job in developing it into a major brand, thus creating a demand for Zinfandel blends.

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

In for one before the sellout. Still have some 2009 in the cellar, but now I suppose I can drink them.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:This is something I want in my price range. So Kyle.............how about that split?

I'd take 2 and owe you $10? Works for me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

webdev511 wrote:In for one before the sellout.

delete

CT

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:I'd take 2 and owe you $10? Works for me.

deal. in under the wire.

CT

PapaPerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PapaPerry

Whew, got mine before Last Call!

1st Bag of Coal 3/9/11
2nd Bag of Coal 5/11/11
3rd Bag of Coal 12/6/11

CRock2442

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CRock2442

All that sellout talk made my trigger finger itchy. In for one and looking forward to this one more than usual.

frogmommy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frogmommy

In for one. I also belong to Scott Harvey's wine club ~ that is how much I love his wines. He is a Zin Master!

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim

You've got to be ^#*%( kidding me!!! I watch as midnight rolls around and wait for a few comments. It's all good, I check out some of the new comments now and WHAM! The door slams in my face.

If I could reach, I'd kick myself in the.....well you know.

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg
Searayjim wrote:You've got to be ^#*%( kidding me!!! I watch as midnight rolls around and wait for a few comments. It's all good, I check out some of the new comments now and WHAM! The door slams in my face.

If I could reach, I'd kick myself in the.....well you know.

Damn, same thing happened to me. Should have checked back before my mid-morning toast break.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Got careless, and went to lunch before ordering. Drat!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim
CRock2442 wrote:All that sellout talk made my trigger finger itchy. In for one and looking forward to this one more than usual.

Ha, and you really did get in last minute...and last order. I should call you mean names! LOL