quality posts: 1699 Private Messages Cesare

Zeppelin Winery Stillman Paso Robles Petite Sirah 2-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $114.55) 43% off List Price
2011 Stillman Petite Sirah, Paso Robles
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown

The first Vintners Voicemail we did was a little bit rougher - like Petite Sirah with bad tannin management. Trying to figure out how to post it here - I put it on my FB but you're not ready for that.

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

sounds good, any reviews?

CruelMelody

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CruelMelody

those look a little more ordinary than the typical Stillman wine bottle!

stillmanbrown

luisifer777 wrote:sounds good, any reviews?

There should be one advance rat, your Petite Sirah lord of the same name, but as it's 1 AM there I won't expect him to chime in until morning.

stillmanbrown

CruelMelody wrote:those look a little more ordinary than the typical Stillman wine bottle!

Faux class - no picture, no pun. My father, also named Stillman, breathes a sigh of relief every time I do this, which isn't often.

CruelMelody

he must have liked it
First Sucker:PetiteSirah

sdfreedive

quality posts: 28 Private Messages sdfreedive

What's the drinking window on this one? How long do we need to wait or is this one ready to go now?

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Wow, are you guys in for a treat today.

Stillman is an insta-buy for me. I don't care about the varietal, I'll generally buy whatever he makes, because he's awesome and talented.

But this... this...

This is by far his best PS yet. And I've had every Black Zeppelin he's sold on here, some he hasn't, and some of the other Stillman wines (Stillmen?).

This is truly exceptional. Sure, it's pricier than the Black Zeppelin, but there's a reason that a BMW 7 series costs more than the 3 series.

I was lucky enough to be vol-ratted a bottle of this wine. And the travel shock didn't slow it a bit.

I decanted it for several hours, and the nose is incredible, despite shipping today. After several hours, when first poured into the glass, there were notes of tart cranberry and some meat juice, from game cooked on seasoned cast iron -- just that bit of umami and hint of a tang. On the palate, those flavors went into the background, joined by animale, as dominant dark berry flavors came to the fore.

As the wine opened, more notes came and it softened, but never became the least bit flabby. More craisins and dried blueberries on the nose, umami and venison with some currant, the hint of iron fading further.

It changed notably as it opened, but went from great to grand, enjoyable the entire time. A complex, and masterful wine, that, the entire time, had multiple notes at different end of the spectrum, hints of coffee and game meat and dried berries, not just adjacent flavors.

To me the really impressive thing about this wine is that even as it softened, there is not even a hint of flab -- the oak is used with a very subtle hand. And, as is Stillman's style, it punches below its weight, alcohol-wise. The tannins are certainly there (it's PS, after all), but not dominant, restrained for a PS, especially at this age.

I've had a hell of a lot of PS, and this is now easily in my top tier. To give you long-time wooters some perspective, I enjoyed this more than any of Kent's PS (with the possible exception of the '01 Reserve), but it was even more complex than that, with flavor combinations and intricacies not often found in PS.

This is by far Stillman's best wine I've tried, his magnum opus to date. It's a wine that any of us should be proud to associate with in any way, and one that properly bears Stillman's name.

Well done, my friend. Well done.

(Needless to say, snatch this up. You won't be disappointed.)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
stillmanbrown wrote:There should be one advance rat, your Petite Sirah lord of the same name, but as it's 1 AM there I won't expect him to chime in until morning.

Have you heard the good news? ELVIS IS RISEN!!!

Yeah, I just had to stay up and warn everybody away from this awful vinegary plonk that some saboteur slapped your name on... :-p

My apologies... to wine.wooters wallets, anyway.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

stillmanbrown

sdfreedive wrote:What's the drinking window on this one? How long do we need to wait or is this one ready to go now?

I don't know that I would guzzle an entire bottle straight down the hatch now - some aeration time is helpful, with or without decanter - but it won't die soon. now-2020?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
PetiteSirah wrote:
I've had a hell of a lot of PS, and this is now easily in my top tier. To give you long-time wooters some perspective, I enjoyed this more than any of Kent's PS (with the possible exception of the '01 Reserve), but it was even more complex than that, with flavor combinations and intricacies not often found in PS.

This is by far Stillman's best wine I've tried, his magnum opus to date. It's a wine that any of us should be proud to associate with in any way, and one that properly bears Stillman's name.

That is a very impressive sales job. My wallet almost jumped out of my pocket on its own.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

stillmanbrown

PetiteSirah wrote:Wow, are you guys in for a treat today.

Stillman is an insta-buy for me. I don't care about the varietal, I'll generally buy whatever he makes, because he's awesome and talented.

But this... this...

This is by far his best PS yet. And I've had every Black Zeppelin he's sold on here, some he hasn't, and some of the other Stillman wines (Stillmen?).

This is truly exceptional. Sure, it's pricier than the Black Zeppelin, but there's a reason that a BMW 7 series costs more than the 3 series.

I was lucky enough to be vol-ratted a bottle of this wine. And the travel shock didn't slow it a bit.

I decanted it for several hours, and the nose is incredible, despite shipping today. After several hours, when first poured into the glass, there were notes of tart cranberry and some meat juice, from game cooked on seasoned cast iron -- just that bit of umami and hint of a tang. On the palate, those flavors went into the background, joined by animale, as dominant dark berry flavors came to the fore.

As the wine opened, more notes came and it softened, but never became the least bit flabby. More craisins and dried blueberries on the nose, umami and venison with some currant, the hint of iron fading further.

It changed notably as it opened, but went from great to grand, enjoyable the entire time. A complex, and masterful wine, that, the entire time, had multiple notes at different end of the spectrum, hints of coffee and game meat and dried berries, not just adjacent flavors.

To me the really impressive thing about this wine is that even as it softened, there is not even a hint of flab -- the oak is used with a very subtle hand. And, as is Stillman's style, it punches below its weight, alcohol-wise. The tannins are certainly there (it's PS, after all), but not dominant, restrained for a PS, especially at this age.

You sure about that? Hope I agree, because if I keep obsessing over the three cases of Colossus I have left I'll get depressed, and drink them myself instead of selling them or partying them away.
Seriously, thanks for the notes.

CruelMelody

Wow, you sent a bottle to the right person. Well obviously in for one, although these bottles will look PRETTY boring aging next to my Colossus syrah. I have now bought just about every Stillman offering since the 2007 black zeppelin when I first found wine woot, and havent tried a single bottle yet! hopefully they are as good as everyone says

sdfreedive

quality posts: 28 Private Messages sdfreedive

Yeah... I'm not really a big fan of Stillman or PS right now. I'm an autobuy of at least 1 for Stillman but PS's rave review made me up it another one.

I'm still kicking myself for not going in on for the max on that Merlot. The Colossus is really good too and I'm stoked for that. I gotta say that the verdajo wasn't my cup of tea but my wife who's a fan of minerally whites really dug it. I've really enjoyed Stillman's wines and I'm excited to try this one.

So here's me throwing more money at Stillman.

stillmanbrown

CruelMelody wrote:Wow, you sent a bottle to the right person. Well obviously in for one, although these bottles will look PRETTY boring aging next to my Colossus syrah. I have now bought just about every Stillman offering since the 2007 black zeppelin when I first found wine woot, and havent tried a single bottle yet! hopefully they are as good as everyone says

You're scaring me!
That, or I should burgle you to restock my library . . .

stillmanbrown

sdfreedive wrote:Yeah... I'm not really a big fan of Stillman or PS right now. I'm an autobuy of at least 1 for Stillman but PS's rave review made me up it another one.

I'm still kicking myself for not going in on for the max on that Merlot. The Colossus is really good too and I'm stoked for that. I gotta say that the verdajo wasn't my cup of tea but my wife who's a fan of minerally whites really dug it. I've really enjoyed Stillman's wines and I'm excited to try this one.

So here's me throwing more money at Stillman.

Thanks! But the next wine will likely be a non-dry white fruit bomb, so both you and your wife will be disappointed in me :-(

stillmanbrown

There's a picture of my friend that did the Vintners Voicemail with me at

http://www.stillmanbrown.blogspot.com/2012/12/post-harvest-winemaker-lifestyle.html

for whatever that's worth. The silver siren is my wardrobe mistress :-)

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511
PetiteSirah wrote:Yeah, I just had to stay up and warn everybody away from this awful vinegary plonk that some saboteur slapped your name on... :-p

In for two after that review of this, what did you say? "Vinegary Plonk".

Yes it's drinking great now, but any guess as to how it's going to be in 5-10 years?

stillmanbrown

webdev511 wrote:In for two after that review of this, what did you say? "Vinegary Plonk".

Yes it's drinking great now, but any guess as to how it's going to be in 5-10 years?

Stored cool, I don't know that there will be a lot of change in 5 years - ten will definitely combine the tannins and smooth the wine somewhat. Paso Petites usually change faster, but this was a cool year with very low yields . . .

stillmanbrown

mudman2007 wrote:>swillman
>talent
>california wine

Tried to grab dessert from your last post, until I realized I could cover it with my cursor arrow.

stillmanbrown

No questions here, so I think I'll go back to finishing off George R.R. Martin's sword and sorcery saga. He should probably be the one to describe the Earth analogs to Westeros wines - the attempts by sommeliers I've seen online aren't too convincing, and I can tell that George has been plundering the wine shops of Santa Fe NM for a long time.
But yes, I'll stay awake a while longer, and check in at whatever horrid hour I must in order to intercept your Atlantic time zone, early morning caffeinated questions . . .

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig

I guess these bottles get to lay down next to my '11 Colossus for a few years.

Drink 2014 or two hour decant?

stillmanbrown

hillig wrote:I guess these bottles get to lay down next to my '11 Colossus for a few years.

Drink 2014 or two hour decant?

One each?

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig

Three Colossus and two of these lovely 'Stillmans' incoming.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
PetiteSirah wrote:Have you heard the good news? ELVIS IS RISEN!!!

Yeah, I just had to stay up and warn everybody away from this awful vinegary plonk that some saboteur slapped your name on... :-p

Zeppelin Stillman Petite Sirah (2)
Speed to first woot: 0m 44.772s
First sucker: PetiteSirah
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase: 2 minutes ago

Auto buy for 3 sets!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

LandRoverNut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LandRoverNut

I have loved every Stillman wine I have bought since the Black Zep 2005. I keep buying more and more he even has me drinking whites and some kind of pink stuff now!!
I have tons in my cellar(protected by Guns in TN) I have stopped buying other wines to save money to allocate more funds to Stillman's great Reds. I can't wait to try this and put a few bottles back!!!

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20

Stillman, I noticed you only produced 89 cases of this. Where do you get your fruit that you can produce such small lots of wine without owning a vineyard.? Do you consult for larger wineries/vineyards to get access to the fruit you want?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:Stillman, I noticed you only produced 89 cases of this. Where do you get your fruit that you can produce such small lots of wine without owning a vineyard.? Do you consult for larger wineries/vineyards to get access to the fruit you want?

He employs Ninja pickers who raid nearby vineyards under cover of darkness.

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

ROTFLMAO!

What we know of Stillman, the ninja's are probably very likely. Dressed as Elvii....

chipgreen wrote:He employs Ninja pickers who raid nearby vineyards under cover of darkness.

divabazaar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages divabazaar

WAHHHH!!!!!!

Stillman, what happened? How is it that NH is not on the buy list??? No love for us New Englanders this time? Wasn't a problem before! sniff sniff!

I was in to buy 4 bottles too... sniff.

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

+1 on no shipping to NH - did you really relinquish your license to ship to us after all those batches of zeppelin wines that I bought from you on woot in the past? Or is this a typo?

Definitely do want - can anyone in a neighboring state hook me up with a wootleg here??? :-(

hokienutzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hokienutzz

I've bought a few Zep wines over the years, and finally drank one on Christmas. I think it was the Red Zep. It was one of the best wines I've had from woot; from anywhere really. He is not only a good salesman, he surely knows what he's doing with wine. I usually try to round out our cellar by staying in the $9-18 dollar realm (the Tuesday night bottles) but I now know that Stillman's juice is just too good to pass up. I should be telling you that his wine is crap so that supply/demand works in my favor, but that is not the wine.woot way. Get This!

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

I've said it before and it remains true. Zeppelin wines are a auto-buy for me. In for 2.

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:Stillman, I noticed you only produced 89 cases of this. Where do you get your fruit that you can produce such small lots of wine without owning a vineyard.? Do you consult for larger wineries/vineyards to get access to the fruit you want?

Some of the time, yes. (In other cases I ask a small grower to plant one acre of something.) And larger than me, isn't saying very much. This wine is just over a ton of Petite combined with a bit of Colossus.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Last wooter to woot:Itwdswafo

Kind of hard to resist after that review...

Only in for one though, so if some of you NHers would like a bottle or two, PM me (I'm in NYC, brother lives in NH). I won't be able to check my PMs until late tonight, so hopefully it's not sold out by then!

stillmanbrown

hokienutzz wrote:I've bought a few Zep wines over the years, and finally drank one on Christmas. I think it was the Red Zep. It was one of the best wines I've had from woot; from anywhere really. He is not only a good salesman, he surely knows what he's doing with wine. I usually try to round out our cellar by staying in the $9-18 dollar realm (the Tuesday night bottles) but I now know that Stillman's juice is just too good to pass up. I should be telling you that his wine is crap so that supply/demand works in my favor, but that is not the wine.woot way. Get This!

Thanks! But . . . . if you think I'm a good salesman you should meet me in person for disabuse; I couldn't sell armor-piercing ammo to a street gang. I think the medium here helps . .

stillmanbrown

divabazaar wrote:WAHHHH!!!!!!

Stillman, what happened? How is it that NH is not on the buy list??? No love for us New Englanders this time? Wasn't a problem before! sniff sniff!

I was in to buy 4 bottles too... sniff.

Monthly reports plus 8% sales tax. Smuggle!

stillmanbrown

chipgreen wrote:He employs Ninja pickers who raid nearby vineyards under cover of darkness.

Or when it's about to rain.