quality posts: 1585 Private Messages Cesare

Eastburn Vineyards Oregon 2007 Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $152.60) 48% off List Price
2007 Eastburn Vineyards Estate Single Block Pinot Noir, Chehalem Mountains
2007 Eastburn Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir, Chehalem Mountains
CT links above

Winery website

My notes on the Single Block:
Very light Pinot. Red berry notes (strawberry/raspberry), a little smokey and light earthiness. Good acidity, low alcohol. Ok finish. Good solid Oregon Pinot.
Not over the top fruity and heavy like many CA Pinots, but not quite as light and earthy-forest floor-barnyard as Burgundy.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

Ok, here we go. I may need to get this even though I swore to not buy any wine for a while. I'd be up for a split on this one also.

Had the chance to taste this one last month as well, and here are my notes:

At first smell it screamed Oregon Pinot to me. Earthy, mushroomy, and not a lot of fruit on the nose. This is one of those few wines that I've wanted to characterize as having a bit of dirty diaper aroma going on, but in a good way. The taste was zippy with great acid. Bright raspberries and sour cherry. Mushroom reappeared here and I found it almost meaty. I even wrote "delicious".

I had the remaining bit of the bottle a few days later. I'd just recorked it and kept it in a moderate temperature zone (not the fridge). I thought it retained almost all the elements of its first night performance, strangely enough. I'd expected more evolution than that. One thing is for sure, though, this is on the heavier side of Pinot Noir.

Note: I didn't jot down whether this was the Single Block or regular, but I suspect it's the latter. Hopefully somebody else who was there that night can clarify that part.

Note^2: We had another Pinot to compare this with that night, from the Santa Cruz Mtns. The SC had way more fruit, but to me had less structure and acidity. Both were delicious, but I preferred the OR while most others present preferred the SC.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Ok, here we go. I may need to get this even though I swore to not buy any wine for a while. I'd be up for a split on this one also.

Had the chance to taste this one last month as well, and here are my notes:

At first smell it screamed Oregon Pinot to me. Earthy, mushroomy, and not a lot of fruit on the nose. This is one of those few wines that I've wanted to characterize as having a bit of dirty diaper aroma going on, but in a good way. The taste was zippy with great acid. Bright raspberries and sour cherry. Mushroom reappeared here and I found it almost meaty. I even wrote "delicious".

I had the remaining bit of the bottle a few days later. I'd just recorked it and kept it in a moderate temperature zone (not the fridge). I thought it retained almost all the elements of its first night performance, strangely enough. I'd expected more evolution than that. One thing is for sure, though, this is on the heavier side of Pinot Noir.

Note: I didn't jot down whether this was the Single Block or regular, but I suspect it's the latter. Hopefully somebody else who was there that night can clarify that part.

Note^2: We had another Pinot to compare this with that night, from the Santa Cruz Mtns. The SC had way more fruit, but to me had less structure and acidity. Both were delicious, but I preferred the OR while most others present preferred the SC.

This is interesting, I was one that felt that this one was way to fruity and jammy almost like it had syrah blended in so I liked the SC pinot better. But now that I think about it I had this wine right after drinking a glass or two of fairly dry champagne. Maybe I did not give this one a fair taste. I would do a split if anyone wants.

Pretty sure the one we had was the regular.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

areaman714

quality posts: 2 Private Messages areaman714

I am pretty finicky when it comes to my Pinot . . . to a myopic fault. I tend to stick with Napa/Sonoma as the climate is assuringly temperate. Oregon's climate is much much more labile in temperature and wetness, thus, securing an optimal Pinot can be tricky. Might someone more experienced give me a nutshell opinion on Oregon Pinot (circa 2007)? Thank you! The price seems quite tempting on these . . .

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:Pretty sure the one we had was the regular.

That's my guess as well. I'll split if you want...especially if you feel like doing the buying and I'll get from you later. When I have more space

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

Mmmmmmmm..... It's between this or the Plush on the wp offering, as I do need to restock some Pinot. Decisions, decisions. What kind of MONSTER would give us so many PN choices at once WD?!?

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
areaman714 wrote:I am pretty finicky when it comes to my Pinot . . . to a myopic fault. I tend to stick with Napa/Sonoma as the climate is assuringly temperate. Oregon's climate is much much more labile in temperature and wetness, thus, securing an optimal Pinot can be tricky. Might someone more experienced give me a nutshell opinion on Oregon Pinot (circa 2007)? Thank you! The price seems quite tempting on these . . .

I can't speak to this Pinot specifically, but I personally have loved most of the 07 willamette valley pinots I've had, to the point that it will be either a sell out or pure economics (spent wayyyy too much on wine in 2012) that stops me from buying this.

As for the plush vs this question, that's a toughie. The plush is excellent, and I haven't had this, so I'd probably get this solely based on that, but I would comfortably say that either is a good buy, especially at the price point.

EDIT TO ADD: I will say that we drink a lot of this stuff up here, so the fact that there are no oregon sales at this time, while not THAT telling since it's night of, makes me lean towards the plush in that argument. That said, tomorrow will be a better judge. If oregon goes dark maroon, buy it in a heartbeat.

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m
areaman714 wrote:I am pretty finicky when it comes to my Pinot . . . to a myopic fault. I tend to stick with Napa/Sonoma as the climate is assuringly temperate. Oregon's climate is much much more labile in temperature and wetness, thus, securing an optimal Pinot can be tricky. Might someone more experienced give me a nutshell opinion on Oregon Pinot (circa 2007)? Thank you! The price seems quite tempting on these . . .

I can tell you that the "conventional wisdom" is that 2007 is not a particularly strong year for Oregon PN. Now, there are boatloads of exception to that thinking, and I have had some truly exceptional bottles. But if you were forced to blindly choose between 2007 and say 2008 or 2010, you'd want the latter two every time.
I know nothing about this bottle, but if other people are vouching for it you should consider trying it. I actually far prefer the mushroom+raspberry+earth thing that you see in so much Oregon wine than the extracted FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT thing that you see in so much Sonoma wine. (Which I also like a great deal.)
But yea, Oregon is where it's at, as far as I'm concerned.

eluofthenine

greyday wrote:

EDIT TO ADD: ...so the fact that there are no oregon sales at this time, while not THAT telling since it's night of, makes me lean towards the plush in that argument. That said, tomorrow will be a better judge. If oregon goes dark maroon, buy it in a heartbeat.

Am I missing something? No Oregon sales?

schaeferr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages schaeferr
eluofthenine wrote:Am I missing something? No Oregon sales?

I think she means that if you look at the Woot map, there are no Oregon wooters wooting.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Eastburn and down, loaded up and truckin'

CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
dah7m wrote:I can tell you that the "conventional wisdom" is that 2007 is not a particularly strong year for Oregon PN. Now, there are boatloads of exception to that thinking, and I have had some truly exceptional bottles. But if you were forced to blindly choose between 2007 and say 2008 or 2010, you'd want the latter two every time.
I know nothing about this bottle, but if other people are vouching for it you should consider trying it. I actually far prefer the mushroom+raspberry+earth thing that you see in so much Oregon wine than the extracted FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT thing that you see in so much Sonoma wine. (Which I also like a great deal.)
But yea, Oregon is where it's at, as far as I'm concerned.

This is one where i'd love some pH and TA information. Klezman, how was the acidity in your tasting? I see the alcohol is a very respectable 13.5% which bodes well for a balanced rather than big style!

Well said dah7m! Horses for courses. If you like big, opulent Pinots, then stay with California ones, but if you want some zing and Burgundy, you'll do a lot better with Oregon. Of course, there are some great CA exceptions, but that's for other parts of this message board!
Even though it's "not a great year". That's pretty relative, but Oregon is more likely for Old-world PN lovers! Not had this, but the Expression in the woot plus are good 2007s, as was Torii Mor. I'd say 07 was a more austere year, rather than bad, as both Oregon PNs I've ever had were (wooted) 2007s, and both pretty damn good, when allowed to open up! though maybe this varies a lot around the state, as I'm not an Oregon authority at ALL!

eluofthenine

schaeferr wrote:I think she means that if you look at the Woot map, there are no Oregon wooters wooting.

Doh!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Had the chance to taste this one last month as well, and here are my notes:

It was this one

And yes, tasty; earthy and balanced, not a CA fruit PN.
Split, or am I late to the party like I was that evening as well?

CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:That's my guess as well. I'll split if you want...especially if you feel like doing the buying and I'll get from you later. When I have more space

No can do the creditcard was compromised last night cancelled and awaiting new...but can do cash to anyone who wants to split.

klezman

richardhod wrote:This is one where i'd love some pH and TA information. Klezman, how was the acidity in your tasting? I see the alcohol is a very respectable 13.5% which bodes well for a balanced rather than big style!

Great acid, not a ton of fruit. Given your Burgundy preferences I think this is in your wheelhouse.

Ron or tyger, I'm in. I should be the purchaser at this point, though, but if tyger can't and there's still splitting happening then I can suck it up. Or perhaps Ron gets 2 sets and we split 4 ways: Ron, tyger, Richard, me?

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:No can do the credit card was compromised last night cancelled and awaiting new...but can do cash to anyone who wants to split.

Works for me. PM to verify.

CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Or perhaps Ron gets 2 sets and we split 4 ways: Ron, tyger, Richard, me?

That would work too..
I've still got bottles for Richard, and he for me.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:No can do the creditcard was compromised last night cancelled and awaiting new...but can do cash to anyone who wants to split.

AmEx?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:Works for me. PM to verify.

In anyway you guys want to work it..pm shortly

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:AmEx?

Visa, some yahoo in Brooklyn went on a shopping spree

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Nice Oregon juice here; tasting notes on the Estate above care of Mr. Klezman are pretty spot on. NIce acidity; gentle fruit notes of tart cherry, maybe a hint of pomegranate. I've had some WV pinots that have more of the earthy mushroom than this one, but it's woven in there nonetheless.

The Single Block is a little lighter but with similar qualities albeit a little less of the tart cherry and more strawberry, but fruit is again subtle.

As mentioned '07 was a mixed bag for Oregon; a lot of early rain that year before the pick watered down some of the crop. As always though, the deft winemakers handled it and some great wines resulted- the earlier mentioned Tori Mor's are a perfect example. IMHO these Eastburn wines are another.

The winemaker is Isabelle Dutartre of DePonte Cellars, who was trained in Burgundy (she's French).

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:In anyway you guys want to work it..pm shortly

Yup, just let me know who to pay back

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Visa, some yahoo in Brooklyn went on a shopping spree

Yikes. Not a laughing matter, but did he buy anything good? any wine?

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:Yikes. Not a laughing matter, but did he buy anything good? any wine?

naw, tried to buy out Target at my expense

And sorry Neil but Pfffttt to the winemaker being French, I want my Oregon pinot to taste like Oregon and my Cali pinot to taste like Cali and my French pinot to taste French. I know that seems to go against the grain nowadays.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:naw, tried to buy out Target at my expense

And sorry Neil but Pfffttt to the winemaker being French, I want my Oregon pinot to taste like Oregon and my Cali pinot to taste like Cali and my French pinot to taste French. I know that seems to go against the grain nowadays.

All good my friend (regarding the Pinots, not your credit card at Target), though I daresay the Oregon pinot community is rife with Burgundy influence either directly (Dom. Drouhin for example, the aforementioned Tori Mor's winemaker as well), or by Burgundy-obsessed American's (check out Scott Paul wines sometime; he makes Oregon Pinot and imports Burgundy in his spare time).

At the end of the day, good winemakers make good wine... and if they're using Oregon fruit... it should taste like.. Oregon Pinot... i think?

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:All good my friend (regarding the Pinots, not your credit card at Target), though I daresay the Oregon pinot community is rife with Burgundy influence either directly (Dom. Drouhin for example, the aforementioned Tori Mor's winemaker as well), or by Burgundy-obsessed American's (check out Scott Paul wines sometime; he makes Oregon Pinot and imports Burgundy in his spare time).

At the end of the day, good winemakers make good wine... and if they're using Oregon fruit... it should taste like.. Oregon Pinot... i think?

Agreed, but remember...

"California wine that tastes halfway like French wine is awesome. French wine that tastes halfway like California wine is an abomination. Try to keep up."

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Agreed, but remember...

"California wine that tastes halfway like French wine is awesome. French wine that tastes halfway like California wine is an abomination. Try to keep up."

"...Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression... ...it's not a survivor like Cabernet..."

rjquillin

richardhod wrote:This is one where i'd love some pH and TA information. Klezman, how was the acidity in your tasting? I see the alcohol is a very respectable 13.5% which bodes well for a balanced rather than big style!

Richard, you in or holding out for some numbers?

CT

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
neilfindswine wrote:"...Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression... ...it's not a survivor like Cabernet..."

I do not think I could agree with this more.

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:And sorry Neil but Pfffttt to the winemaker being French, I want my Oregon pinot to taste like Oregon and my Cali pinot to taste like Cali and my French pinot to taste French. I know that seems to go against the grain nowadays.

I think a winemaker with expertise growing and making wine with a particular grape can more easily adapt to the climate patterns and soil characteristics of a new area then the reverse. I think this is also why so few wineries make stellar wines across all varietals - they each have a personality, both in the vineyard and in the winery.

tytiger58

klezman wrote:I think a winemaker with expertise growing and making wine with a particular grape can more easily adapt to the climate patterns and soil characteristics of a new area then the reverse. I think this is also why so few wineries make stellar wines across all varietals - they each have a personality, both in the vineyard and in the winery.

I agree...but I thought we were just giving Neil a hard time because he seems like a nice guy and...well...i'm bored

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:I agree...but I thought we were just giving Neil a hard time because he seems like a nice guy and...well...i'm bored

Oh. I missed that memo Carry on.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...all this abuse.... perhaps I'll have a glass of wine to heal these wounds.....

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

By some strange coincidence there was a bottle of the non-single block of 2007 Eastburn Vineyards Pinot on my counter today, so I decided in the name of science I should open it and post my tasting notes

I poured the first glass through my venturi to get a little air.

Nose - Funktified!! Earthy, an almost menthol component (not really, but best I can describe), and soft red fruit.

Time to taste! Bright sour cherries, soft crushed strawberries, a lil menthol, a bit of mushroom (very muted). Definitely has nice acidity, it would be a good food wine, and I suspect terrific with a nice beef bourguignon!

Very enjoyable lingering finish of tart cherry.

Although I would definitely not describe it as a fruit bomb, the fruit was vibrant and clean, really very nice. Definitely on the tart side, not the sweet side of the Pinot spectrum.

For the price, I would say this is a very solid QPR for a good quality bottle of Oregon Pinot.

EDIT:

Second glass is opening up even more, revealing nice layers of complexity with darker fruit.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...happy to say Single Block has integrated nicely on day 2. In a Burgundy via Oregon sorta way.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
neilfindswine wrote:...happy to say Single Block has integrated nicely on day 2. In a Burgundy via Oregon sorta way.

How is it during a full moon?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:How is it during a full moon?

Great on a flower day!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:How is it during a full moon?

....sshhh... Sowing seeds....