PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

PoSt away, folks.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
PetiteSirah wrote:PoSt away, folks.

You buying the Shannon Ridge?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of December 30th.

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/19: NorCal #14: Santa Clara Valley Wines
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend

Pending
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

** No changes **

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Emerson is teething. It's horrible. She wakes up craying, she's really fussy all day, she is drooling like crazy (I hate drool). Not fun.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Emerson is teething. It's horrible. She wakes up craying, she's really fussy all day, she is drooling like crazy (I hate drool). Not fun.

My son is a drooling machine.
Don't fret it gets better, our son started on oatmeal and its helping us get a little more sleep at night. It feels like our son has been teething for two months with no teeth in sight.

CT

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Emerson is teething. It's horrible. She wakes up craying, she's really fussy all day, she is drooling like crazy (I hate drool). Not fun.

Craying? Is that smoking Crayola Cranyons?

And I can't imagine who she takes after ...

We used a chilled (but not frozen) teething ring for my son. Baby Orajel also worked (link is to the Natural one, without benzocaine). Orajel also still have their regular (with benzocaine) and nighttime gels. Regular worked fine, but then again, so did a shot of whiskey (for me!).

Edit: Sounds like you might still be able to use the regular, but limit it to 4x a day. But you're supposed to check with a health care provider if they're under 2.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

Ahh yes, teething. When my daughter was a little sprout, she didn't complain much but she soaked several onesies a day with copious amounts of drool. Like MDS said, the chilled teething ring seemed to help.

This too shall pass and before you know it you will have real problems to worry about, like boys!

My dogs like me, that is important.

kylemittskus

edlada wrote:Ahh yes, teething. When my daughter was a little sprout, she didn't complain much but she soaked several onesies a day with copious amounts of drool. Like MDS said, the chilled teething ring seemed to help.

This too shall pass and before you know it you will have real problems to worry about, like boys!

Rings are in the fridge. I don't like the idea of teething tablets (they have night shade in them) or OraGel (sp?). Honestly, I'm more comfortable with putting some whiskey on my finger and rubbing it on her gums.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:Rings are in the fridge. I don't like the idea of teething tablets (they have night shade in them) or OraGel (sp?). Honestly, I'm more comfortable with putting some whiskey on my finger and rubbing it on her gums.

It does get better as time goes on.

Orajel is fine...it's what we went with.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

hylands teething tablets work wonders!! (assuming they still make them)

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
kylemittskus wrote:Rings are in the fridge. I don't like the idea of teething tablets (they have night shade in them) or OraGel (sp?). Honestly, I'm more comfortable with putting some whiskey on my finger and rubbing it on her gums.

When my niece's son was having terrible teething issues, ddeuddeg & I suggested the whiskey route. She was totally surprised by that and was afraid that her Brazilian anesthesiologist husband would find out and have problems with that! Desperate times . . . SHE was the one home with him all day!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:Honestly, I'm more comfortable with putting some whiskey on my finger and rubbing it on her gums.

And then a little for you!

mommadeb1

uggg... back to work/school tomorrow, getting up at 5:20am grrrr ......really not looking forward to this!!

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:uggg... back to work/school tomorrow, getting up at 5:20am grrrr ......really not looking forward to this!!

Hang in there mommadeb. They may be a little off tomorrow. The first day back, mine were a bit talky. Day 2, they were fine.

I'm staying home tomorrow. Feeling crappy including a low fever. Had the chills earlier. Hopefully, some good sleep will help.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 588 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

No, it's not. Let her chew on your finger. Kinda rub the gums a bit. It'll actually feel good and when the teeth are close, it'll help break them through.

When she's older, my dad was a big fan of giving kids a chicken leg bone to chew on. Take off the all the meat, that weird bone, cartilage, etc. Just the bone. They get taste and chewing. Keep an eye on her for choking of course. We did it with son and no harm came to him.

Son got first teeth at 4 months.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

So very rarely (maybe once a year) my daughter will wake up and cry and shake like's she's freezing. She just did it and it scared the Brony out of me. Is that a seizure or a night terror or what? It happens so infrequently that I forget to call the doctor. My son has an appointment tomorrow so I'm going to mention it to him, but it's freaky. Tonight she was just crying and saying ow, but couldn't tell me what hurt, but she was alert. The other couple times it's happened (that I know of), she hasn't even really been conscious. She'll talk, but not answer questions and then it's done, she goes back to bed and it's maybe a year later when it happens again. should I be massively concerned?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:So very rarely (maybe once a year) my daughter will wake up and cry and shake like's she's freezing. She just did it and it scared the Brony out of me. Is that a seizure or a night terror or what? It happens so infrequently that I forget to call the doctor. My son has an appointment tomorrow so I'm going to mention it to him, but it's freaky. Tonight she was just crying and saying ow, but couldn't tell me what hurt, but she was alert. The other couple times it's happened (that I know of), she hasn't even really been conscious. She'll talk, but not answer questions and then it's done, she goes back to bed and it's maybe a year later when it happens again. should I be massively concerned?

Sounds awful. How old is she?

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

ThunderThighs wrote:Sounds awful. How old is she?

six, and it was not at all fun. From googling (stupid I know) it's most likely a night terror. I'll mention it to the doctor tomorrow and see what he thinks.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:six, and it was not at all fun. From googling (stupid I know) it's most likely a night terror. I'll mention it to the doctor tomorrow and see what he thinks.

That was the first thing that popped into my mind but I don't anything about them. My son sleep walked but no night terrors.

FORUM MODERATOR

otolith

bhodilee wrote:So very rarely (maybe once a year) my daughter will wake up and cry and shake like's she's freezing. She just did it and it scared the Brony out of me. Is that a seizure or a night terror or what? It happens so infrequently that I forget to call the doctor. My son has an appointment tomorrow so I'm going to mention it to him, but it's freaky. Tonight she was just crying and saying ow, but couldn't tell me what hurt, but she was alert. The other couple times it's happened (that I know of), she hasn't even really been conscious. She'll talk, but not answer questions and then it's done, she goes back to bed and it's maybe a year later when it happens again. should I be massively concerned?

Yes, sounds like a night terror. The trouble is, it's hard to get too worked up over something that happens so infrequently. Must be awful to witness.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

ThunderThighs wrote:No, it's not. Let her chew on your finger. Kinda rub the gums a bit. It'll actually feel good and when the teeth are close, it'll help break them through.

When she's older, my dad was a big fan of giving kids a chicken leg bone to chew on. Take off the all the meat, that weird bone, cartilage, etc. Just the bone. They get taste and chewing. Keep an eye on her for choking of course. We did it with son and no harm came to him.

Son got first teeth at 4 months.

Being someone who deals with foreign body aspirations, this just sounds like an awful idea that I couldn't recommend in the least. You can always rub the chicken leg on the chew toy and hand the kid the chew toy.

--John Muir

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

A friend of my daughter just had a baby that had some newborn health issues requiring a stay in the NICU. All is well now but they were told the only long term complication might be occasional mild non-scary seizures. Obviously yours don't meet the non-scary standard but knowing that sometimes these things are expected might help. Make yourself a note to mention at next appointment.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

chemvictim

One of my fond memories from the few years before my dad passed away, the family had a giant rib feast and one little boy (about 1-2 years old, I forget) had a rib bone which he would NOT give up for anything. It was super cute, the little guy clutching his rib bone. I have no idea if a rib bone is more or less dangerous than a chicken bone, but that was one happy little boy. And of course he was being watched by multiple pairs of eyes.

I'll say it again - I don't know how you parents do it. Sending positive energy and support your way!

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

We used the corks from the "empty" whisky bottles (nothing like cuttin yer teeth on single malt... literally ). Turn the bottle upside down, let the miniscule drop or three hit the cork, pull it and let em chew on it. And Orajel and frozen rings (which only stay frozen for about 3 minutes). Funny truth, the almost 3 year old asks for "ice" when she hurts herself, only since she was 2.5 did she actually let us put the "ice" on her boo boo, it used to just go in her mouth!

I hope your teething (and our next) are short... our first one teethed for a good 10 months straight.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:six, and it was not at all fun. From googling (stupid I know) it's most likely a night terror. I'll mention it to the doctor tomorrow and see what he thinks.

We had night terrors for a while... Once or twice a week for a month or so when she was about 2. Almost impossible to wake her up. We eventually found that a wet washcloth on the back of the neck did enough to wake her that we could stop the screams and get her to calm down within a few minutes. They are almost as terrifying for the spectators as the victim.

chemvictim

joelsisk wrote:We used the corks from the "empty" whisky bottles (nothing like cuttin yer teeth on single malt... literally ). Turn the bottle upside down, let the miniscule drop or three hit the cork, pull it and let em chew on it. And Orajel and frozen rings (which only stay frozen for about 3 minutes). Funny truth, the almost 3 year old asks for "ice" when she hurts herself, only since she was 2.5 did she actually let us put the "ice" on her boo boo, it used to just go in her mouth!

I hope your teething (and our next) are short... our first one teethed for a good 10 months straight.

Hey, great idea! Now, where did my dear husband put the Scotch?

bahwm

I just read an article about smartphones and new plans that the service providers are offering. Which company are you with? We have done well with Verizon in the past, but there may be some big changes in cost when we upgrade to our new phones. ddeuddeg's iphone 4 does not hold a charge very well these days--it dies after one day and he's not even using it a lot! We qualify for an upgrade this month.

kylemittskus

bahwm wrote:I just read an article about smartphones and new plans that the service providers are offering. Which company are you with? We have done well with Verizon in the past, but there may be some big changes in cost when we upgrade to our new phones. ddeuddeg's iphone 4 does not hold a charge very well these days--it dies after one day and he's not even using it a lot! We qualify for an upgrade this month.

I'm on Verizon. I have heard horror stories about AT&T. When SWMBO and I upgrade, we lose our unlimited data plan unless we buy a phone ourselves instead of through Verizon. No contract change so no plan changes. The problem is: we don't get the discounted price on the phone.

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:I just read an article about smartphones and new plans that the service providers are offering. Which company are you with? We have done well with Verizon in the past, but there may be some big changes in cost when we upgrade to our new phones. ddeuddeg's iphone 4 does not hold a charge very well these days--it dies after one day and he's not even using it a lot! We qualify for an upgrade this month.

Still enjoy Sprint. Unlimited Data, unlimited text and mobile to mobile, 500 minutes to non mobile lines, cheaper than Verizon or AT&T. Again, the lack of 4G kinda sucks (a lot) but hasn't been a deal breaker. My wife's iPhone5 downloads pretty damn fast actually. My ancient Evo on the other hand....slooooooowwwwwww.

Can't speak to their customer service. The few times I dealt with them I liked them. Others hate them. They've made it a priority the last couple years though.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I literally just upgraded my phone yesterday on our old Verizon plan. The only change you will have to deal with is that if you currently have the Unlimited data plan (which costs $30), that will simply change to 2GB each person (which should be plenty).
There are no other changes or added costs to your plan needed. Your texting plan will stay as it is. And whatever minutes your plan is (ours is the Nationwide 700 Min Family plan) that stays the same too.
You have the option of switching to their new Share Everything plan, but it's not required at this point.

If you upgrade, take a look at WireFly. I just bought my new phone through them, and it was $50 cheaper than if I went through VZ directly. I can let you know in a few days how it all went (since the phone arrives tomorrow) next week, when I'm able to truly confirm that the transition all went smoothly or not.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

kylemittskus

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I literally just upgraded my phone yesterday on our old Verizon plan. The only change you will have to deal with is that if you currently have the Unlimited data plan (which costs $30), that will simply change to 2GB each person (which should be plenty).
There are no other changes or added costs to your plan needed. Your texting plan will stay as it is. And whatever minutes your plan is (ours is the Nationwide 700 Min Family plan) that stays the same too.
You have the option of switching to their new Share Everything plan, but it's not required at this point.

If you upgrade, take a look at WireFly. I just bought my new phone through them, and it was $50 cheaper than if I went through VZ directly. I can let you know in a few days how it all went (since the phone arrives tomorrow) next week, when I'm able to truly confirm that the transition all went smoothly or not.

That change should have also saved you $5/month. Unlimited = $30 and 2 GB = $25, IIRC. And if you don't do any video streaming, 2 GB is fine. I use my phone A LOT and I use less than 2 GB/month.

MarkDaSpark

My old HTC T-Mobile G2 usually only held the charge for about a day or less (thus the USB portable charger), but my new Galaxy S3 lasts a good long time (2 days), but the USB portable charger that fully recharged the G2 only does a partial charge for the S3.

Have D-Dog check power settings, since there are several things he can do to save power. 14 Tips to Extend iPhone Battery Life

chemvictim

kylemittskus wrote:That change should have also saved you $5/month. Unlimited = $30 and 2 GB = $25, IIRC. And if you don't do any video streaming, 2 GB is fine. I use my phone A LOT and I use less than 2 GB/month.

I upgraded very recently. Neither of us ever got anywhere near 2 GB of data before, but our first month with the new SIII we got very close. How annoying since most of the use is at home on our wifi! Looks like the phones were doing some background stuff, I have no idea what, chewing up data. I had to set it to limited and it seems better. Plus there was a software update so the wifi works properly now. It was dropping a lot before, and then the stupid phone would do...stuff and use data.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Imagine4vr!!

Happy Birthday to Imagine4vr!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

MarkDaSpark

And of course, Jury Duty summons arrives yesterday for the week of D&D. I don't freaking think so!!

Postponed. Now if I can just talk the local wine shoppe into postponing their Madeira tasting til the next Thursday as well!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:(Birthday!)

Happy birthday Imagine4vr!

I'm just hanging out, really.

bahwm

Happy Birthday, Imagine!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Hang in there mommadeb. They may be a little off tomorrow. The first day back, mine were a bit talky. Day 2, they were fine.

I'm staying home tomorrow. Feeling crappy including a low fever. Had the chills earlier. Hopefully, some good sleep will help.

Poor thing! I hope you feel better! My folks just got back from a cruise... she now has the flu and an upper repository infection... They say this year is going to be bad for flu and sickness.... I think I'm going to up my vitamins!!

mommadeb1

sounds like what we went thru with my daughter and her night terrors. She would wake up screaming and seemed consciousness, but she was really sleeping. scares the wholy snot out of you! She did outgrow it....and we survived!!

mommadeb1

Happy Birthday Imagine!