2008 Alta Zinfandel, El Dorado County
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/25/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

Although I haven't had the privilege of tasting this zin. I haven't had a Calstar I didn't like. I must have the same preferred style as the winemaker.
Smooth, classic with interesting and sometimes surprising undertones.
Nothing screechy.
The 2010 Sauvignon Blanc was a fav.

Going to have to give this zin some serious consideration ! sounds yummy.

DoobieWah

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DoobieWah

Bought a two pack of the 07 a few months ago from another site. It was excellent. If the 08 follows, this would be a good purchase. Might have to find room in my already stuffed wine storage.....

calstarcellars

quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars

Thanks guys, checking in as owner/winemaker for this winery. As I said in my post this wine is made in a more age able style. It is dry unlike a lot of other zins out there, and also made using about 30% new oak to frame the bright fruit and moderate tannins. Just had a bottle last night with thin crust pizza and I honestly couldn't have thought of a better match for the food.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Good to have Calstar here again. Winemaker Rick Davis poured this at our "HalloWoot" tasting, along with his Londer Pinot Noir and Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

My brief notes:

Needs a little time to open up...

Plummy nose with spicy notes and a little tealeaf. On the palate- Dark berries, pomegranate and cranberry with a subtle note of baking spice. Nice finish & Nice acidity.

Overall statement- this zin is juicy not jammy, which works for me. (I tend to shy away from most of the big/jammy/in-your-face Zins.) This one's restraint allows other flavors to come through.

Edit: Welcome Rick!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

radparker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages radparker
neilfindswine wrote:Good to have Calstar here again. Winemaker Rick Davis poured this at our "HalloWoot" tasting, along with his Londer Pinot Noir and Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

My brief notes:

Plummy nose with spicy notes and a little tealeaf. On the palate- Dark berries, pomegranate and cranberry with a subtle note of baking spice. Nice finish & Nice acidity.

Overall statement- this zin is juicy not jammy, which works for me. (I tend to shy away from most of the big/jammy/in-your-face Zins.) This one's restraint allows other flavors to come through.

When you say, it needs some time to open up, do you mean, decanting it and letting it breathe for a while? Or do you mean aging it? Pls forgive the blank flank question.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

radparker wrote:When you say, it needs some time to open up, do you mean, decanting it and letting it breathe for a while? Or do you mean aging it? Pls forgive the blank flank question.

Decanting and allowing to breathe. When I first opened it; it was closed up and needed 15 minutes (not long) to show me what it had.

That said, I think it could age some (I wouldn't say that for all Zins). Perhaps Rick can comment on age-ability...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

The numbers look good, alc. is high but seems common for zin from the Sierra foothills.
Interested.....

CT

stebs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stebs

I agree with the previous poster who said that the Calstar Sauvignon Blanc was a favorite, as this is one of my favorite examples of SB as well! Very excited to see Calstar here, and hopeful that this means we will see some of your white wines here in the future...

Neophyte Oenophile Extraordinaire

calstarcellars

radparker wrote:When you say, it needs some time to open up, do you mean, decanting it and letting it breathe for a while? Or do you mean aging it? Pls forgive the blank flank question.

I find that it just need a few minutes in the glass. It will age for at least 2 years at this time.

calstarcellars

cortot20 wrote:The numbers look good, alc. is high but seems common for zin from the Sierra foothills.
Interested.....

I think you'll find the alc in balance with the rest of the wine. I am trying to make wines that pair well with food. though they can be enjoyed on their own.

calstarcellars

stebs wrote:I agree with the previous poster who said that the Calstar Sauvignon Blanc was a favorite, as this is one of my favorite examples of SB as well! Very excited to see Calstar here, and hopeful that this means we will see some of your white wines here in the future...

Thanks on the SB comment the 2011 is from the same vineyard. As to whites, the 2009 Sangiacomo CH will be up sometime soon.

RynoW1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RynoW1
Cesare wrote:Calstar Cellars El Dorado County Zinfandel 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $119.55) 46% off List Price
2008 Alta Zinfandel, El Dorado County
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/25/12 (Plus)
  • Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.

• rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
    calstarcellars wrote:As to whites, the 2009 Sangiacomo CH will be up sometime soon.

Sangiacomo CH?
    as in Cameron Hughes..?

CT

calstarcellars

rjquillin wrote:Sangiacomo CH?
    as in Cameron Hughes..?

Huh? Calstar Cellars 2009 Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

rjquillin

calstarcellars wrote:Huh? Calstar Cellars 2009 Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

CH = Chard. got it.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
    neilfindswine wrote:Good to have Calstar here again. Winemaker Rick Davis poured this at our "HalloWoot" tasting, along with his Londer Pinot Noir and Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

My brief notes:

I thought this was the same one! Was just going to check my notes when I saw this.

This is my kind of Zin. Restrained, well structured, solid acid backbone. It definitely needed time to open up at the tasting, but my notes indicate that I liked where it was going. And then it was gone so no further tastes after it'd been open for an hour or so.

If I was buying wine I'd buy this. If your preferred style of Zin is Scott Harvey's Reserve or Vineyard 1869 you'll like this. Ditto for Wellington's Estate Zins, but this is a little less fruity iirc.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
    2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ceagee

Question

what's been holding me back --- the weather. It's been in the 20's here. Up into the 30's today. woo hoo. a heat wave.
    ok the question:
    Wondering how these ship in this type of weather ??

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
    ceagee wrote:Question

what's been holding me back --- the weather. It's been in the 20's here. Up into the 30's today. woo hoo. a heat wave.
    ok the question:

Considering they're in the truck almost all of the time, and the truck isn't that cold since the driver is in the truck, I wouldn't worry.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

calstarcellars

ceagee wrote:Question

ok the question:

My experience is that wine won't freeze until temps lower than 20F, so as long as they don't sit outside overnight you should be fine.

ceagee

calstarcellars wrote:My experience is that wine won't freeze until temps lower than 20F, so as long as they don't sit outside overnight you should be fine.

I reckon you should know ! ;-)

Checked the weather forecast --- should stay in the 30s this week, may even get up to forty by weeks end..... then a dip into the 20s at night. So let's hope the trucks are warm. I get too many frozen pears from Harry and David !

In for one !

( And thank you kylemittskus answering too ! )

rjquillin

klezman wrote:If I was buying wine I'd buy this. If your preferred style of Zin is Scott Harvey's Reserve or Vineyard 1869 you'll like this. Ditto for Wellington's Estate Zins, but this is a little less fruity iirc.

PM

CT