WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Calstar Cellars Zinfandel (4)

Speed to First Woot:
14m 13.449s
First Sucker:
dsvo
Last Wooter to Woot:
summerdaze33
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 31% of Wine Woots
Bottom 42% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 46% of Wine Woots
Top 49% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 2% first woot
  • 2% second woot
  • 21% < 10 woots
  • 28% < 25 woots
  • 46% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 1% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 16% one year old
  • 82% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 85% bought 1
  • 9% bought 2
  • 6% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
0%
0%
0%
0%
2%
2%
6%
6%
13%
11%
6%
1%
6%
7%
1%
7%
0%
6%
7%
6%
0%
7%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1676 Private Messages Cesare

Calstar Cellars El Dorado County Zinfandel 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $119.55) 46% off List Price
2008 Alta Zinfandel, El Dorado County
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/25/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ceagee


quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

Although I haven't had the privilege of tasting this zin. I haven't had a Calstar I didn't like. I must have the same preferred style as the winemaker.
Smooth, classic with interesting and sometimes surprising undertones.
Nothing screechy.
The 2010 Sauvignon Blanc was a fav.

Going to have to give this zin some serious consideration ! sounds yummy.

DoobieWah


quality posts: 6 Private Messages DoobieWah

Bought a two pack of the 07 a few months ago from another site. It was excellent. If the 08 follows, this would be a good purchase. Might have to find room in my already stuffed wine storage.....

calstarcellars


quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars

Thanks guys, checking in as owner/winemaker for this winery. As I said in my post this wine is made in a more age able style. It is dry unlike a lot of other zins out there, and also made using about 30% new oak to frame the bright fruit and moderate tannins. Just had a bottle last night with thin crust pizza and I honestly couldn't have thought of a better match for the food.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Good to have Calstar here again. Winemaker Rick Davis poured this at our "HalloWoot" tasting, along with his Londer Pinot Noir and Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

My brief notes:

Needs a little time to open up...

Plummy nose with spicy notes and a little tealeaf. On the palate- Dark berries, pomegranate and cranberry with a subtle note of baking spice. Nice finish & Nice acidity.

Overall statement- this zin is juicy not jammy, which works for me. (I tend to shy away from most of the big/jammy/in-your-face Zins.) This one's restraint allows other flavors to come through.

Edit: Welcome Rick!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

radparker


quality posts: 1 Private Messages radparker
neilfindswine wrote:Good to have Calstar here again. Winemaker Rick Davis poured this at our "HalloWoot" tasting, along with his Londer Pinot Noir and Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

My brief notes:

Needs a little time to open up...

Plummy nose with spicy notes and a little tealeaf. On the palate- Dark berries, pomegranate and cranberry with a subtle note of baking spice. Nice finish & Nice acidity.

Overall statement- this zin is juicy not jammy, which works for me. (I tend to shy away from most of the big/jammy/in-your-face Zins.) This one's restraint allows other flavors to come through.

Edit: Welcome Rick!



When you say, it needs some time to open up, do you mean, decanting it and letting it breathe for a while? Or do you mean aging it? Pls forgive the blank flank question.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

radparker wrote:When you say, it needs some time to open up, do you mean, decanting it and letting it breathe for a while? Or do you mean aging it? Pls forgive the blank flank question.



Decanting and allowing to breathe. When I first opened it; it was closed up and needed 15 minutes (not long) to show me what it had.

That said, I think it could age some (I wouldn't say that for all Zins). Perhaps Rick can comment on age-ability...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cortot20


quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

The numbers look good, alc. is high but seems common for zin from the Sierra foothills.
Interested.....

CT

stebs


quality posts: 3 Private Messages stebs

I agree with the previous poster who said that the Calstar Sauvignon Blanc was a favorite, as this is one of my favorite examples of SB as well! Very excited to see Calstar here, and hopeful that this means we will see some of your white wines here in the future...

Neophyte Oenophile Extraordinaire

calstarcellars


quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars
radparker wrote:When you say, it needs some time to open up, do you mean, decanting it and letting it breathe for a while? Or do you mean aging it? Pls forgive the blank flank question.



I find that it just need a few minutes in the glass. It will age for at least 2 years at this time.

calstarcellars


quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars
cortot20 wrote:The numbers look good, alc. is high but seems common for zin from the Sierra foothills.
Interested.....



I think you'll find the alc in balance with the rest of the wine. I am trying to make wines that pair well with food. though they can be enjoyed on their own.

calstarcellars


quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars
stebs wrote:I agree with the previous poster who said that the Calstar Sauvignon Blanc was a favorite, as this is one of my favorite examples of SB as well! Very excited to see Calstar here, and hopeful that this means we will see some of your white wines here in the future...



Thanks on the SB comment the 2011 is from the same vineyard. As to whites, the 2009 Sangiacomo CH will be up sometime soon.

RynoW1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RynoW1
Cesare wrote:Calstar Cellars El Dorado County Zinfandel 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $119.55) 46% off List Price
2008 Alta Zinfandel, El Dorado County
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/25/12 (Plus)
  • Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.


  • rjquillin


    quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
    calstarcellars wrote:As to whites, the 2009 Sangiacomo CH will be up sometime soon.

    Sangiacomo CH?
    as in Cameron Hughes..?

    CT

    calstarcellars


    quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars
    rjquillin wrote:Sangiacomo CH?
    as in Cameron Hughes..?



    Huh? Calstar Cellars 2009 Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

    rjquillin


    quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
    calstarcellars wrote:Huh? Calstar Cellars 2009 Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

    CH = Chard. got it.

    CT

    klezman


    quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
    neilfindswine wrote:Good to have Calstar here again. Winemaker Rick Davis poured this at our "HalloWoot" tasting, along with his Londer Pinot Noir and Sangiacomo Chardonnay.

    My brief notes:

    Needs a little time to open up...

    Plummy nose with spicy notes and a little tealeaf. On the palate- Dark berries, pomegranate and cranberry with a subtle note of baking spice. Nice finish & Nice acidity.

    Overall statement- this zin is juicy not jammy, which works for me. (I tend to shy away from most of the big/jammy/in-your-face Zins.) This one's restraint allows other flavors to come through.

    Edit: Welcome Rick!



    I thought this was the same one! Was just going to check my notes when I saw this.

    This is my kind of Zin. Restrained, well structured, solid acid backbone. It definitely needed time to open up at the tasting, but my notes indicate that I liked where it was going. And then it was gone so no further tastes after it'd been open for an hour or so.

    If I was buying wine I'd buy this. If your preferred style of Zin is Scott Harvey's Reserve or Vineyard 1869 you'll like this. Ditto for Wellington's Estate Zins, but this is a little less fruity iirc.

    2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
    2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

    ceagee


    quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

    Question

    what's been holding me back --- the weather. It's been in the 20's here. Up into the 30's today. woo hoo. a heat wave.
    ok the question:
    Wondering how these ship in this type of weather ??

    kylemittskus


    quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
    ceagee wrote:Question

    what's been holding me back --- the weather. It's been in the 20's here. Up into the 30's today. woo hoo. a heat wave.
    ok the question:
    Wondering how these ship in this type of weather ??



    Considering they're in the truck almost all of the time, and the truck isn't that cold since the driver is in the truck, I wouldn't worry.

    "If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

    "Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

    calstarcellars


    quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars
    ceagee wrote:Question

    what's been holding me back --- the weather. It's been in the 20's here. Up into the 30's today. woo hoo. a heat wave.
    ok the question:
    Wondering how these ship in this type of weather ??



    My experience is that wine won't freeze until temps lower than 20F, so as long as they don't sit outside overnight you should be fine.

    ceagee


    quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
    calstarcellars wrote:My experience is that wine won't freeze until temps lower than 20F, so as long as they don't sit outside overnight you should be fine.




    I reckon you should know ! ;-)

    Checked the weather forecast --- should stay in the 30s this week, may even get up to forty by weeks end..... then a dip into the 20s at night. So let's hope the trucks are warm. I get too many frozen pears from Harry and David !

    In for one !

    ( And thank you kylemittskus answering too ! )

    rjquillin


    quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
    klezman wrote:If I was buying wine I'd buy this. If your preferred style of Zin is Scott Harvey's Reserve or Vineyard 1869 you'll like this. Ditto for Wellington's Estate Zins, but this is a little less fruity iirc.

    PM

    CT