Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Ooh, honey, look! Another Woot! Wine gathering in New York!

Oh no.... Not another get together of your snobby wine friends.

They aren't snobby, very welcoming, actually, and it looks like there will be desserts, and dessert wines!

When you say dessert, you mean chocolate?

I'm sure there will be chocolate of some sort, maybe even some of those Chocolate Port Cupcakes you've been dreaming of some of since the RPM tour.

Continue....

It looks like they're even going to attempt a variation using the Wellington White Port we tried.

Wow! That was great! I can only imagine it in a baked good.

Well, you won’t have to imagine if we go.

But, I really don’t want to spend that much time with your online friends.

Then, let’s just show up later, get the desserts, and the good wine.

Sounds like a plan!

DETAILS

DATE: Saturday, March 16th 

TIME: Arrive at 5pm to put your wine on ice and help frost cupcakes, Arrive at 6 for tasting and eating. 

THEME: After dinner wines.

HOST: itwdswafo – Queens, NY – Steps away from the N,Q, & 7 Trains. Close to the F, E, M, & R trains.

REQUESTED: Bring a bottle or two of your favorite after dinner wine, or one that you’d like to test out on a few wine.woot followers. Also, a dessert type item to feed X amount of people.

ATTENDEES:

1. itwdswafo 

2. iByron
3. iByron +1
4. Darlenee1
5. Cheron98
6. Cheron98 +1
7. kttest
8. cessare

MAYBES: 

1. mschauber
2. canonizer
3. Ratnikov

REGRETS: 
--
1. Polarbear22
2. Rpm
anyone who misses this one!

Itwdswafo

Is it the theme?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I was thinking it would be fun to try and make it down. I like the theme.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rpm

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rpm

I think we'll be able to make it, depending on exact day/time. Sounds like it will be fun and it would be nice to see everyone again!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Ooh I'll be moved out there by then! So, as long as HAK is in, and why wouldn't he be, I think you can count us in.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Put me down as a maybe... Too early to know if there will still be decent skiing then. Still hoping for a few more feet of snow in southern VT this winter.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Put me down as a maybe +1. I generally work Sundays meaning I may have to be getting back to Philly that night. Otherwise, I'm staying over with +1.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

As it stands right now I am available on March 16th. Will keep watching the thread to see when the date firms up!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:Ooh I'll be moved out there by then! So, as long as HAK is in, and why wouldn't he be, I think you can count us in.

I see you put Cat on the maybe list, but you didn't put me there. I gather that was because I didn't post myself. Anyway, if she's on the maybe list then so am I, of course.
But yeah, so far that date is looking just fine so we should be able to make it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Itwdswafo wrote:

MAYBES: 

3. cheron98
4. cheron98 + 1

Muahaha!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

You had me at cupcakes.

Put us on the maybe list!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

call me, maybe

signed.

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Put me and +1 as a strong maybe.

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Does this mean you all are going forward with March 16?

Itwdswafo

cjsiege wrote:Does this mean you all are going forward with March 16?

I'm more or less 80% sure this will be the date/time. So yes, going forward with March 16th.

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

Just saw this thread. I'm probably working that day, but this starts late enough that we should be able to make an appearance. Put me +1 as yet another maybe. +2 if I can convince my brother (mgberg), which shouldn't be too hard.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Since it looks like this get-together will happen soonest, I recommend renumbering this one as #21.

Have fun!!!

iByron

Keep in mind that "after dinner" doesn't necessarily mean "sweet."

However, since that's likely how it's being interpreted, could we broaden the theme a bit? Lots of sweet wines will really bang on the palate, and if everyone on the yes or maybe list brought one, the later wines may not get a fair shake.

Also, to that end, can we start getting a sense of what people are bringing?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

darlenee1

iByron wrote:Keep in mind that "after dinner" doesn't necessarily mean "sweet."

However, since that's likely how it's being interpreted, could we broaden the theme a bit? Lots of sweet wines will really bang on the palate, and if everyone on the yes or maybe list brought one, the later wines may not get a fair shake.

iByron

I may bring something not sweet to eat. 5 is early to be focusing on desserts, so I think a light savory dish and accompanying wine will be my contribution.

HitAnyKey42

iByron

I was actually going to suggest something like this myself, but didn't get around to it. Also, DF commented to me that with the number of people we have we probably wouldn't have that much of an issue. We all at least somewhat survived the Diabetic's Dilemma with over 20 wines....though just barely. I think as long as we don't have more 6 or 7 really sweet wines, we should be ok. And if some of those are not high alcohol ports/fortified wines, but lighter dessert wines, that'd also help.
I know Cat commented of thinking about bringing one of the ice wines we just bought up in Niagara. I think the top of the list for us is currently the 2010 Between the Lines Gewürztraminer Icewine.

itwdswafo, you can also bump myself & cheron98 into the attendees list as we are no longer just maybe's. Looking like you can bump up Byron and Darlene too.

Also, I seem to recall that I might still have some wine for you. Didn't you order something at one point and have it shipped to me? If so, what was it? I'll have to go through the various boxes I have laying around and find it, once I know what I'm looking for.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

iByron

HitAnyKey42 wrote:
itwdswafo, you can also bump myself & cheron98 into the attendees list as we are no longer just maybe's. Looking like you can bump up Byron and Darlene too.

Yes, if the date is definite -- as it seems to be -- I am definite as is my +1. I have a +2 that's a "maybe."

I will be bringing at least one sweet wine -- a Casorzo (properly "Malvasia di Casorzo"... that's Malvasia Nera for Wine Century Clubbers) and nobody will have to worry about alcohol because it's only 5%. Barely enough to be considered wine and not simply spoiled grape juice.

Probably some Dry (i.e., "Sec") bubbles if I can swing it.

HitAnyKey42 wrote:
Also, I seem to recall that I might still have some wine for you. Didn't you order something at one point and have it shipped to me? If so, what was it? I'll have to go through the various boxes I have laying around and find it, once I know what I'm looking for.

I think it might be a Riesling and a Gewurtz from New York. I'm seeing green and yellow bottles. Was to buy one each from your large-ish order. Will check messages, etc. myself. I don't believe money was exchanged so if they don't exist it's no biggie.

Your Private WIneaux

Itwdswafo

This x 1000. Was definitely not my intent for everything to be sweet. Just a few. (I don't really have much of a sweet tooth.... I actually don't really like chocolate, and mostly hate cake, but those port cupcakes were bomb!)

Itwdswafo

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Diabetic's Dilemma

Oh shucks, I hadn't realized this theme had already been done. Thought I had looked through the list too.

I believe it's a half case of quaffmor. Err... Actually I guess it's 5 bottles.

HitAnyKey42

iByron wrote:I think it might be a Riesling and a Gewurtz from New York. I'm seeing green and yellow bottles. Was to buy one each from your large-ish order. Will check messages, etc. myself. I don't believe money was exchanged so if they don't exist it's no biggie.

Heh, actually my question was to Itwdswafo, but if there's something you were wanting to buy from me let me know.
And actually, I believe it was the St. Julian (Michigan) trio that you originally wanted a set of from me. I have a note on my CT purchase that one of each bottle was to be for you. Let me know if you still want any of them, and I'll doublecheck to make sure if I still have one of each left. I know I still have multiples of the Rieslings, and I think I still have one left of the Pinot Gris & Traminette.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Howdy folks - sounds like fun.
I have late nights planned on the Friday, Sunday, and Mondays surrounding -- but would like to stop by.
Put me down +1 on the maybe list.

I don't love PX, but many do and I have a few great bottles?
Or an oloroso to wake up the taste buds early on.
Or a Mosel riesling with a lot of age on it.
Or if it's bottled, a Paumanok late-harvest Sauv Blanc. Delicious liquid sweet tarts.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

HitAnyKey42

Bumping this up since it's less than 3 weeks away, and cuz it fell off the first page.

Also, I just placed my order for some cheese (had a LivingSocial voucher I bought). So our food contribution will be a half pound of each of the following cheeses so far:
Geit-in-Stad
Artisanal Manchego
Tomme Fermiere D’Alsace
Gouda, Aged 4-years

Now this flight of cheeses is designed as something to fit all types of wine pairings, so it's possible one or two of them might not be appropriate for this tasting. But we can decide that later once we have a better idea of what wines people plan on bringing.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

iByron

Amtrak's having a sale on Philadelphia to NYC.

My wines:
2006 Giulio Accornero & Figli Malavasia di Casorzo d'Asti Brigantino
A "Sec" Champagne (house undecided)

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

beefytaco wrote:Howdy folks - sounds like fun.
I have late nights planned on the Friday, Sunday, and Mondays surrounding -- but would like to stop by.
Put me down +1 on the maybe list.

I don't love PX, but many do and I have a few great bottles?
Or an oloroso to wake up the taste buds early on.
Or a Mosel riesling with a lot of age on it.
Or if it's bottled, a Paumanok late-harvest Sauv Blanc. Delicious liquid sweet tarts.

FOR THE LOVE OF MERCY, BRING THE PX!!

Your Private WIneaux

mikegberg

Not overly in love with the theme but still planning on making an appearance, depending on what time I get out of work. Unfortunately, I'll be a game-day decision. And while I normally work in Queens, I'll be coming from Suffolk that day.

I can bring this:
2007 Hunt Country Vineyards Vidal Blanc Ice Wine
or this:
Bourbon Barrel Aged Apple Liqueur

One was a previous woot, so some of you have probably already tasted it, the other isn't exactly a wine.

Itwdswafo

One week to go! Last day at work today for me (no more 90 hour work weeks!) so I'll be a little more active on the boards again. Any way to start finalizing those RSVPs?

Wines I'm supplying:

1) A fruit wine made from apples that I picked up at a nearby farmers market. According to the winery, there are a hundred apples in the one bottle.
2) Debating between a port and a bubbly. Really depends on if I can get my hands on the bubbly or not.

mikegberg

Itwdswafo wrote:1) A fruit wine made from apples that I picked up at a nearby farmers market. According to the winery, there are a hundred apples in the one bottle.

I guess I'm not bringing the apple liqueur then.

Unfortunately, I'll be a game-day decision. I work that day and if I'm there as late as I was today, I won't make it.

iByron

So. Who's counting down?

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

Also, I will need an address. My +1 is driving.

Your Private WIneaux

Itwdswafo

mikegberg wrote:I guess I'm not bringing the apple liqueur then.

No reason not to bring it. That's the whole point is to try a variety, right?

Itwdswafo

PMs with info sent out. Let me know if I missed any one.

Hoping that 50% of showers dies down so we can jump upstairs to the roof and enjoy the view of the sun setting over NYC, but if not, we'll just have to watch it from the window.

Cesare

quality posts: 1677 Private Messages Cesare

Kt and I will be coming. Will bring something interesting, maybe a sherry.
I need the address.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Itwdswafo

Weather is great today! View over Manhattan is fantastic. Can only hope it lasts.

And what a rip off on cupcake pans! $20 for one? Should have gone to The Bowery...

darlenee1

Looking forward to seeing everyone! I think I'll bring some chicken marbella to snack on, not sure on the wine yet!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I PM'ed the host. We are not going to make it down for this.

I really need to make this happen again. But really requies an overnight from where I am at.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Itwdswafo