cheron98 wrote:He's not exactly "frugal" when it comes to his toys

they never are!!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Mmm spam.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
inkycatz wrote:Short lunch people unite!

wait... You people get lunch?? Jealous...

klezman

quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman
Itwdswafo wrote:wait... You people get lunch?? Jealous...

We collectively make salad for the group every day at the office.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother

(from the main thread)

Cesare wrote:Had a chance to try the reserve with some friends in CT (the state).
Here are some notes:

Decanted for four hours, and it needed more
Oaky (aged in 100% new oak it turns out)

Don't mind me, I'm proud of myself ;) I think my exact words were "I'll bet this was aged in a lot of new oak"

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
mother wrote:(from the main thread)

Don't mind me, I'm proud of myself ;) I think my exact words were "I'll bet this was aged in a lot of new oak"

Yep, you hit that spot on. I laughed when I looked it up.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Bowtie shows his disdain for employee recognition awards:

Circle of Excellence Award

Name: Bowtie

Submitted by: Bowtie

Please write a brief description why person should be nominated:

I have no idea why we even have this award, I refer to it as the “Everyone gets a trophy award” so I’m nominating myself because I like trophies. When I was a kid I had a collection of trophies. Now granted, I didn't win any of them. I mainly just stole them from people that were good at things, but I did quite enjoy looking at them and how they gleamed on the shelf. I've always wondered what it would be like to have my very own trophy, one with my name engraved on it and maybe a little sculpture of a bowler, or the thinker, or pac-man, whatever, I’m easy to please. I think I should win this because it’s called the “circle of excellence” and my qualifications are thus: I’m quite fat, therefore almost completely circular around the midsection. I guess I’m more of an oblate spheroid, but we’re not picking nits here, we’re handing out trophies! My other qualification is that I’m quite excellent at writing why I should win awards and get a trophy with a pac-man sculpture atop it. I played pac-man quite a bit as a child. In fact, if I had back all of the quarters that I spent playing pac-man as a child, I could likely afford my own trophy and wouldn't have to resort to begging for this one. I wonder if the Salvation Army would sponsor a drive to get me my own trophy? I believe a phone call is in order at some point today (after work of course). Anyway, I think you should give me this trophy for the same reason that Ralphie wanted an official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two Hundred Shot Range Model Air Rifle, but I’d be much less likely to shoot my eye out with a trophy.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

klezman

mother wrote:(from the main thread)

The specs page said that...

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother
klezman wrote:The specs page said that...

You are why people don't like Canadians... ;)

I didn't go read the specs page sitting in PB's dining room tasting this last week.

Edit: Other prediction my semi-inebriated palate made was that the 2007 Summerland Santa Rita Vineyard PN has Dijon Clones in it. Just putting that out there in case I'm correct and it says that on the specs page and someone wants to deny me credit ;)

klezman

mother wrote:You are why people don't like Canadians... ;)

I didn't go read the specs page sitting in PB's dining room tasting this last week.

Ah, it made an appearance at a gathering. Well then you've got good taste buds.

joelsisk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joelsisk

too funny not to post speaking of Canadians...

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:Bowtie shows his disdain for employee recognition awards:

Circle of Excellence Award

Name: Bowtie

Submitted by: Bowtie

Please write a brief description why person should be nominated:

I have no idea why we even have this award, I refer to it as the “Everyone gets a trophy award” so I’m nominating myself because I like trophies. When I was a kid I had a collection of trophies. Now granted, I didn't win any of them. I mainly just stole them from people that were good at things, but I did quite enjoy looking at them and how they gleamed on the shelf. I've always wondered what it would be like to have my very own trophy, one with my name engraved on it and maybe a little sculpture of a bowler, or the thinker, or pac-man, whatever, I’m easy to please. I think I should win this because it’s called the “circle of excellence” and my qualifications are thus: I’m quite fat, therefore almost completely circular around the midsection. I guess I’m more of an oblate spheroid, but we’re not picking nits here, we’re handing out trophies! My other qualification is that I’m quite excellent at writing why I should win awards and get a trophy with a pac-man sculpture atop it. I played pac-man quite a bit as a child. In fact, if I had back all of the quarters that I spent playing pac-man as a child, I could likely afford my own trophy and wouldn't have to resort to begging for this one. I wonder if the Salvation Army would sponsor a drive to get me my own trophy? I believe a phone call is in order at some point today (after work of course). Anyway, I think you should give me this trophy for the same reason that Ralphie wanted an official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two Hundred Shot Range Model Air Rifle, but I’d be much less likely to shoot my eye out with a trophy.

I "second" your nomination!!

klezman

joelsisk wrote:too funny not to post speaking of Canadians...

Oh, double win!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Double win, eh?

IFTFY

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

Question about 2001 Sauternes . This is a deep gold/brown color, not the pale color of the d'yquem. When opened last week, it had a smell that I would call petrol. And something similar on the taste. Either that or some kind of plastic. I have no experience with Sauternes, so not sure if this is part of the development and too old or too young. Or the sign of a bad bottle. I have two more, so I am concerned. Other than that, it seems like it would be good. Aftertaste is fine, and makes me want more. And it has not improved with a week corked in the fridge.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

klezman

polarbear22 wrote:Question about 2001 Sauternes . This is a deep gold/brown color, not the pale color of the d'yquem. When opened last week, it had a smell that I would call petrol. And something similar on the taste. Either that or some kind of plastic. I have no experience with Sauternes, so not sure if this is part of the development and too old or too young. Or the sign of a bad bottle. I have two more, so I am concerned. Other than that, it seems like it would be good. Aftertaste is fine, and makes me want more. And it has not improved with a week corked in the fridge.

Had a similar issue with a bottle we drank at Scott Harvey's place. It was a 1982 LH Riesling. He said "when I bottled it, it sure wasn't this colour", but on opening it smelled fine and tasted glorious. Slightly oxidized, but not enough to make it really nutty. If the other bottles are also that brown colour, your best bet is probably to experiment and see what happens to them unless you could fairly easily get them refunded/replaced. The petrol makes me suspicious, since it's not supposed to be Riesling in a Sauternes.

polarbear22

klezman wrote:Had a similar issue with a bottle we drank at Scott Harvey's place. It was a 1982 LH Riesling. He said "when I bottled it, it sure wasn't this colour", but on opening it smelled fine and tasted glorious. Slightly oxidized, but not enough to make it really nutty. If the other bottles are also that brown colour, your best bet is probably to experiment and see what happens to them unless you could fairly easily get them refunded/replaced. The petrol makes me suspicious, since it's not supposed to be Riesling in a Sauternes.

Reply that I got on FB from iBryon.
Petrol isn't an uncommon aroma in aged Sauternes. It comes from trimethyldihydronaphthalene (TDN) which many believe comes from the breakdown of beta-carotene over time. Riesling has the highest amount of beta-c of any grape, so that "petrol" aroma shows up prominently as Rieslings age.

From this point should be considered a learned hypothesis (I haven't taken the time to confirm). My limited experience with Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc grapes (as opposed to wines) suggests that Semillon may be the prime culprit in Sauternes. The grapes are almost orange when fully ripe (and full ripeness along with noble rot are key to Sauternes production), and orange fruits and vegetables often get their color in part from beta-carotene. Sauvignon grapes tend more yellow-gold. The balance in Sauternes tends to favor Semillon (as opposed to Bordeaux Blanc Sec, in which SB plays lead), so my educated guess is that the breakdown of beta-carotene in the Semillon-heavy wine is producing TDN in the same way it does in Riesling.

The wine is almost 13 years old, so it's probably not a problem. If you smelled this in a younger wine -- less than five years from vintage, say -- that *would* be a flaw and you would seek reimbursement. Otherwise, if it's just a little smell as you say, and is otherwise enjoyable (good acidity, sweet but not cloying, rich feel in the mouth, complexity of flavors, no cork taint or oxidation, etc.) it's probably fine. Enjoy.

Pretty comprehensive, huh?

This was purchased in 2003 or so, I think that they are passed being responsible for the wine.

My Cellar

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
bhodilee wrote:No, 16GB should probably suit you fine, especially since I'm fairly certain you can expand the memory with an SD card.

The S4 is probably coming out in a month or two though, so if you can wait you can probably get an S3 for free fairly soon.

Gribblesnarf. You made me go and have to log in...

The S4 will not be announced at CES next week; indications are that it'll be announced in April. Then, there will be a delay before the carriers in the US will actually make it available to us (the S3 was delayed several months in the US compared to the UK).

Based on that, the S3 will have a little more life in it.

Color choices are usually mandated by the carrier. AT&T has exclusive access to the red color for a while, for example; but I think other carriers are now getting it.

16GB vs. 32GB: I'm surprised the 32GB is available. Early indications were that no carrier in the US wanted to carry the 32GB, and Samsung was making noises about never actually manufacturing 32GB models. You can stick a 32GB SDHC card in the phone to bump up the memory, but the built-in memory and the additional memory will never act as a single memory space (BTW, I have seen indications that you can actually stick in a 64BG SDXC card and have it work, but I haven't tried that).

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm
JOATMON wrote:Gribblesnarf. You made me go and have to log in...

The S4 will not be announced at CES next week; indications are that it'll be announced in April. Then, there will be a delay before the carriers in the US will actually make it available to us (the S3 was delayed several months in the US compared to the UK).

Based on that, the S3 will have a little more life in it.

Color choices are usually mandated by the carrier. AT&T has exclusive access to the red color for a while, for example; but I think other carriers are now getting it.

16GB vs. 32GB: I'm surprised the 32GB is available. Early indications were that no carrier in the US wanted to carry the 32GB, and Samsung was making noises about never actually manufacturing 32GB models. You can stick a 32GB SDHC card in the phone to bump up the memory, but the built-in memory and the additional memory will never act as a single memory space (BTW, I have seen indications that you can actually stick in a 64BG SDXC card and have it work, but I haven't tried that).

Gribblesnarf??????

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
bahwm wrote:Gribblesnarf??????

Yeah. A word totally made up by me to indicate disgust, disbelief, or disappointment. Benign placeholder for stronger words.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

klezman

polarbear22 wrote:Pretty comprehensive, huh?

This was purchased in 2003 or so, I think that they are passed being responsible for the wine.

Excellent answer! I would personally keep drinking it since I like that aspect in a wine

polarbear22

klezman wrote:Excellent answer! I would personally keep drinking it since I like that aspect in a wine

While not my favorite, not bad enough to pour out. It was a 750, and I am still having a glass now and then. My wife has no interest however.

My Cellar

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:While not my favorite, not bad enough to pour out. It was a 750, and I am still having a glass now and then. My wife has no interest however.

We took a Jana Napa Riesling to a local winery (with whom we are working to bottle wine for Shakespeare) and we got a major hit of petrol. I couldn't believe it! I couldn't identify the nose, but the winemaker and the winery people immediately nailed it and I did one of those "Oh, yeah! That's what that is!" comments. I don't remember the vintage though.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:We took a Jana Napa Riesling to a local winery (with whom we are working to bottle wine for Shakespeare) and we got a major hit of petrol. I couldn't believe it! I couldn't identify the nose, but the winemaker and the winery people immediately nailed it and I did one of those "Oh, yeah! That's what that is!" comments. I don't remember the vintage though.

This makes me think I should drink my SH Michigan Riesling soon. Any opinions?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

PleaSe everyone....we need a moment of PSilence....

Tonight my mom put one of my PS I Luv You glasses in the drain board, and it fell over and hit the other one. Broke the stem off of one of them. Thankfully the other one is fine. I have laid it to rest in the bottom of the trash can. It was a sad end to the night.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:PleaSe everyone....we need a moment of PSilence....

Tonight my mom put one of my PS I Luv You glasses in the drain board, and it fell over and hit the other one. Broke the stem off of one of them. Thankfully the other one is fine. I have laid it to rest in the bottom of the trash can. It was a sad end to the night.

Crying (Roy Orbison & KD Lang, with scenes from Hiding Out -- great movie with Jon Cryer.)

On the other hand, a good reason to attend D&D this year!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

Choir party at our house today. Just found out that we have about 3 people who are sick, plus spouses. Gotta love that I gave the final count to the caterer on Wednesday. . .

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus

My AmEx card was compromised AGAIN. Grrrr!!! It's a huge pain in the ass updating all of my accounts and stuff. Charges from Brazil this time. Had to be one of the online retailers I shop at as the card has never left my possession. Heads up.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:My AmEx card was compromised AGAIN. Grrrr!!! It's a huge pain in the ass updating all of my accounts and stuff. Charges from Brazil this time. Had to be one of the online retailers I shop at as the card has never left my possession. Heads up.

Had that happen Friday with my AA/City MC. Hardly ever use it, but did on a trip to
Dallas last month. The ~only~ time it left my hand was in the cabin of the AA flight to Dallas, for some absolutely plonk CS they were hawking that got dumped. It's not stored on-line anywhere either. The call was for attempted usage with Living social, WalMart and Amazon; all on-line attempts.

CT

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Crying (Roy Orbison & KD Lang, with scenes from Hiding Out -- great movie with Jon Cryer.)

On the other hand, a good reason to attend D&D this year!!!

Tell you what. You pay for the wedding, and we'll come to D&D. Deal?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:Tell you what. You pay for the wedding, and we'll come to D&D. Deal?

And if you pay for the wedding...we'll even cover your costs for D&D.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:And if you pay for the wedding...we'll even cover your costs for D&D.

But not the winery purchases you'll be making. Or the auction items. That's not part of the deal. D&D tickets, hotels, meals, gas while in NorCal.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Well my wife gave me my New Years resolution of tracking my wine and looking for an app for my iPad. She even said she will help. Bad is she figured out I have over 500 bottles( not as much as sparky!) but now on a siwbm. Damn, I hope nothing good comes up.

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
ERMD wrote:Well my wife gave me my New Years resolution of tracking my wine and looking for an app for my iPad. She even said she will help. Bad is she figured out I have over 500 bottles( not as much as sparky!) but now on a siwbm. Damn, I hope nothing good comes up.

Too many bottles, understand. No dedicated app needed, CT works with your browser.
Use it all the time with a standard iPad and the mini just fine.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 66 Private Messages trifecta

SEAHAWKS!!!

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:But not the winery purchases you'll be making. Or the auction items. That's not part of the deal. D&D tickets, hotels, meals, gas while in NorCal.

Too late!

Of course your wedding will be at the local McDonald's.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:Too late!

Of course your wedding will be at the local McDonald's.

It will be easy to choose colors (red and yellow), and there will be chicken nuggets for everyone! A joyous occasion.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
rjquillin wrote:Too many bottles, understand. No dedicated app needed, CT works with your browser.
Use it all the time with a standard iPad and the mini just fine.

Anyone use cor.kz?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus
ERMD wrote:Anyone use cor.kz?

I heard that CT is coming out with an app (finally!!!).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 111 Private Messages cortot20
ERMD wrote:Anyone use cor.kz?

I use both corkz and cellarvu. I prefer corkz as it has the built in barcode scanner.

CT