MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!

mumbles ... wants to start the Pub then disappears ... mumbles ... slackers ... mumbles some more ...

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of December 30th.

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/19: NorCal #14: Santa Clara Valley Wines
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend

Pending
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:PoSt away folks!!

mumbles ... wants to start the Pub then disappears ... mumbles ... slackers ... mumbles some more ...

I need my beauty sleep, where apparently you've just given up.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Happy New Year's Eve!!! please be safe tonight!!!!!

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:I need my beauty sleep, where apparently you've just given up.

It's not working, you need to sleep a lot more!

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:Happy New Year's Eve!!! please be safe tonight!!!!!

Happy Nea Year's Eve to you, too. One of the butlers from the Mansion will be picking us up in the Land Rover. So, we just have to make sure the weather cooperates and watch out for the other guy!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

Have a safe and Happy New Year's Eve!!!

See you all in the new year! Or at least some of you.

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Have a safe and Happy New Year's Eve!!!

See you all in the new year! Or at least some of you.

Does that mean you will come to the ice wine festival in buffalo?

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58

Happy and healthy New Year to everyone!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bahwm

A Happy and Healthy New Year to All!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013!!

To all my Wine.Woot friends,

I hope the new year brings Blessings, Peace, Harmony, and Joy to you and yours.

Now someone hand me a drink, Dammit!!

MarkDaSpark

tiger7610 wrote:Does that mean you will come to the ice wine festival in buffalo?

No. Thus the "some of you". Referring to D&D.

cortot20

quality posts: 110 Private Messages cortot20

Happy new year to all. I hope you are all enjoying my parade.

CT

bahwm

cortot20 wrote:Happy new year to all. I hope you are all enjoying my parade.

"my parade"?

cortot20

quality posts: 110 Private Messages cortot20

I believe I am the active board member who lives closest to Pasadena. Although I could be wrong.

Therefor, my parade.

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Happy New Year!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22

Happy New Year everyone.

I have a friend visiting CA near Temecula and wants to do some wine tasting. What wineries do you recommend in that area? Thanks.

EDIT: Did some searching on the site. Looks like Stuart Cellars is one of the best. And Sparky has hooked me up with Bella Vista PS and LH PS. So looking for one or two more in the area.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Happy New Year everyone.

I have a friend visiting CA near Temecula and wants to do some wine tasting. What wineries do you recommend in that area? Thanks.

EDIT: Did some searching on the site. Looks like Stuart Cellars is one of the best. And Sparky has hooked me up with Bella Vista PS and LH PS. So looking for one or two more in the area.

Stuart was good, but I've heard some conflicting reports, since there may have been a ownership change.

Hart was good, as was Wiens & Leonesse. Java (IIRC, or was it Tim?) used to be a member at Ponte, which had a nice store.

Maurice Carrie used to have a nice Brie inside Sourdough bread, but I don't think they bake it there anymore for you. It made a really nice snack/lunch when the SoCal Wooters made it there. Plus I think they used to have a special 2 for 1 tasting, where you got to taste there and at La Cereza.

Bella Vista was good for unique varietals, but their website doesn't list new wines.

And there's Wilson Creek (with Almond Sparkling) and South Coast, but I haven't been to those two.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Curse the watermarks but it's a cool picture.

Happy New Year everyone!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Happy New Year to the pub! Opened up my last bottle of bubbly last night, and look what woot has today... How did they know.

bahwm

Itwdswafo wrote:Happy New Year to the pub! Opened up my last bottle of bubbly last night, and look what woot has today... How did they know.

How could you run out of bubbly? I won't even mention how much we have in stock . . .

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bahwm wrote:How could you run out of bubbly?

How could you NOT? I drink it at every opportunity. I had a bad day. Let's have some bubbles to make me feel better! I had a good day. Probably should have some bubbles to celebrate. etc.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
chemvictim wrote:How could you NOT? I drink it at every opportunity. I had a bad day. Let's have some bubbles to make me feel better! I had a good day. Probably should have some bubbles to celebrate. etc.

ohh I like your thinking!!!

bahwm

chemvictim wrote:How could you NOT? I drink it at every opportunity. I had a bad day. Let's have some bubbles to make me feel better! I had a good day. Probably should have some bubbles to celebrate. etc.

I like your thinking! We do drink our bubbles frequently, but not quite that frequently!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I guess I should mention that I ran out of bubbly on THIS coast. Though, I do like breaking out the bubbly often. It makes your guests (who don't know that much about wine) feel a little more special. I forget who said it on here, something to the effect of why wait for a special occasion to open a bottle, instead make an occasion special by opening a bottle.

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
Itwdswafo wrote:I forget who said it on here, something to the effect of why wait for a special occasion to open a bottle, instead make an occasion special by opening a bottle.

That was the adage from "Sideways" although I don't doubt it's been repeated here in various forms.

Maya: ‘Seriously, the ’61 Cheval Blanc is peaking… it might be too late already. What are you waiting for?’
Miles: ‘I don’t know, a special occasion. With the right person.’
Maya: ‘The day you open a ’61 Cheval Blanc, that’s the special occasion.’

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I grow tired of listening to stupid people be stupid.

My New Year's Resolution was to be more tolerant of stupid people, for they know not what they do/say. That lasted 52 minutes of my first day back.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:I grow tired of listening to stupid people be stupid.

My New Year's Resolution was to be more tolerant of stupid people, for they know not what they do/say. That lasted 52 minutes of my first day back.

DOH!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
chipgreen wrote:That was the adage from "Sideways" although I don't doubt it's been repeated here in various forms.

Maya: ‘Seriously, the ’61 Cheval Blanc is peaking… it might be too late already. What are you waiting for?’
Miles: ‘I don’t know, a special occasion. With the right person.’
Maya: ‘The day you open a ’61 Cheval Blanc, that’s the special occasion.’

Indeed it has - I recall it being said from a thread I started trying to pick between two sparklers for my birthday...

tytiger58 wrote:Not familiar with either wine so can't comment but why would you wait for an special occasion to open a sparkler, they are great any day and a really good food wine.

It's good wisdom!

I'm just hanging out, really.

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman

Happy New Year too all! Back to work after a weekend of indulgence of steak and wine!

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
inkycatz wrote:It's good wisdom!

Amen!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I grow tired of listening to stupid people be stupid.

50 minutes longer than I expected!!

bhodilee

I was doing so well until lunch. Now that lunch is over my motivation has died.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bhodilee wrote:I was doing so well until lunch. Now that lunch is over my motivation has died.

Was it at least a good lunch?

I'm just hanging out, really.

bhodilee

inkycatz wrote:Was it at least a good lunch?

yes, i'm the only one in my family that will eat leftovers, so my lunches are often quite good.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

My only New Year's Resolution is to drink more wine than I purchase. Hopefully 50-75% more.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
redwinefan wrote:My only New Year's Resolution is to drink more wine than I purchase. Hopefully 50-75% more.

A very worthy goal for me to pursue. Of course, I just bought 3 bottles of Cab I don't need, just because it's wonderful, and the price is right. Hope you have better luck.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:yes, i'm the only one in my family that will eat leftovers, so my lunches are often quite good.

90% of the time: leftovers > original meal.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:I was doing so well until lunch. Now that lunch is over my motivation has died.

You made it about 4 hours longer than I would have given you credit for.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:You made it about 4 hours longer than I would have given you credit for.

Doc, check out new deals thread.

CT