2008 Pacific Wine Works Gewürztraminer, Mendocino County
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
12/28/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Fluffy215

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fluffy215

Pass. Back in April you offered a 4 pack for only 24.99 now you want an extra 15 bucks for one extra bottle. Thanks but nah.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4967577

xdavex

quality posts: 16 Private Messages xdavex

Buzzkilled. Oh well, someone else can enjoy what I was going to buy.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Got these in Dec '11 for $6.88/btl, that would be $34.40 for the challenged or $1/btl additional.

Had expected this to have a bit of RS but was dryer than expected as my notes suggest, but a thoroughly enjoyable and SWMBO approved Gewurtz, especially at this price. CT notes, except for a couple outliers, on this spot on.

Good to see Charlie Meeker back on woot!

[edit] Hey mod, I was 1st sucker and it went away. Sparky and I are gonna get after youse guys if dis don't get fixed.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Had a bottle delivered by the excellent ddeuddeg. Bottle vanished (in the drinking way). I didn't take a note. Oops. I'll take a bottle or two off somebody's hands in SoCal if they wish.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Had a bottle delivered by the excellent ddeuddeg. Bottle vanished (in the drinking way). I didn't take a note. Oops. I'll take a bottle or two off somebody's hands in SoCal if they wish.

So the list begins anew...

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:[edit] Hey mod, I was 1st sucker and it went away. Sparky and I are gonna get after youse guys if dis don't get fixed.

Just reported it. Not sure what/when I'll hear back though.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

klezman wrote:Had a bottle delivered by the excellent ddeuddeg. Bottle vanished (in the drinking way). I didn't take a note. Oops. I'll take a bottle or two off somebody's hands in SoCal if they wish.

Great tasting notes.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

I shared a bottle of this wine with my g/f around 6 months ago on a hot & humid day at her family reunion. It was definitely crisp and refreshing but I did not take notes.

Although it's a bit more expensive than previous offers, I think most people would be hard-pressed to find a Gewurz that drinks this well at a lower price point.

I would be in on this deal at the current offer price if it was a newer vintage but since I'm already overloaded with "drink now" wines and still have 3 bottles of this in my cellar, I'm passing this time.

lamoka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lamoka
chipgreen wrote:I shared a bottle of this wine with my g/f around 6 months ago on a hot & humid day at her family reunion. It was definitely crisp and refreshing but I did not take notes.

Although it's a bit more expensive than previous offers, I think most people would be hard-pressed to find a Gewurz that drinks this well at a lower price point.

I would be in on this deal at the current offer price if it was a newer vintage but since I'm already overloaded with "drink now" wines and still have 3 bottles of this in my cellar, I'm passing this time.

2008 vintage does not seem so old...what is the expected shelf life of this? With the acidity I'd expect several yrs!!

CherryBomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CherryBomb

Was going to buy since I love the Pacific Rim Gewurztraminer and was hoping it would be similar. But Virginia's not on the list??? Virginia's always on the list!!! What's up with that?

chipgreen

CherryBomb wrote:Was going to buy since I love the Pacific Rim Gewurztraminer and was hoping it would be similar. But Virginia's not on the list??? Virginia's always on the list!!! What's up with that?

Woot is no longer able to ship to VA. See HERE for details.

chipgreen

lamoka wrote:2008 vintage does not seem so old...what is the expected shelf life of this? With the acidity I'd expect several yrs!!

Depending on your definition of "several", you are probably correct!

The winemaker said that it should be good for "a few years" when it was first offered here one year ago. So if that holds true, it should still be good for "a couple years".

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
chipgreen wrote:Depending on your definition of "several", you are probably correct!

The winemaker said that it should be good for "a few years" when it was first offered here one year ago. So if that holds true, it should still be good for "a couple years".

Sometimes my job requires that I testify on the stand about various quantities. When asked to define "several," the correct answer is "more than a few, fewer than many."

In that light, I had fewer than many good experiences with this wine. One bottle arrived leaking (which woot more than reimbursed me for, thanks), but even the intact ones were a tad "off." It has been relegated to a popcorn wine, nothing more. If I was a sangria or spritzer person, I might go that route as well.

Oh, you wine folks will want me to define "off." Here goes: worse than good, better than terrible.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

Love the Meeker wines and hope to get some of them back up on woot! ...but any wine that isn't this.

Bought last time because of the wine maker and even at the price point found it to be very one dimensional. Not to say this was not intended (I remember discussion about making a low end wine to market internationally until the market fell out).

Let's see some more Kiss Ridge...I need to complete my vertical.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

crgiza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crgiza

Loved the wine last time, not too sweet but sweet enough that it is a great compromise wine between my wife and I. Looking forward to another five bottles!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Fluffy215 wrote:Pass. Back in April you offered a 4 pack for only 24.99 now you want an extra 15 bucks for one extra bottle. Thanks but nah.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4967577

My grandpa bought a Ford for $3,200. Now they're $20,000. No way I'm buying a car when the price used to be so much better!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj

I was one of those who agreed with Blackice in the CT tasting notes. This is a slam dunk rebuy. This is right in DW's sweet spot (actually her semi-dry spot). Would be in for two (instead of my actual one) except for the onslaught of other wines that will soon be arriving after the LB marathon.

rjquillin

Cracked a bottle of this this evening to go with sashimi @ home. Japanese SO, so it's done right. Normally I'd go with cold sake, but alas, none in the house.

This went very well. Quite crisp with citrus at open ~12C, gradually warming to 18C the fruit bloomed to fill the mouth. Given the higher pH of 3.71, I would have expected to detect much RS if present; this is dry, and lovely.

Glad I picked up five more last night.
Yes Klez, one for you.
Congrats to Charlie for the sell-out!

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
ThunderThighs wrote:Great tasting notes.

I remembered enough to want a bottle or two from somebody else. Given that I'm 50 bottles over my storage limit that's a pretty solid review

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

danben

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danben

What a difference a year makes.

I didn't try this wine last year and mores the pity because this year it is vile.

If you just "know" that I am crazy, I have 9 and 1/2 bottles that I would be willing to let go of for postage and handling.

My guess is that this consignment was purchased sight unseen based on last years reviews.

elserj6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elserj6

I usually love gewurtz but this stuff is way too dry for my taste. I couldn't taste anything sweet in it. Reminded me of a chardonnay more than a regular gewurtz. Sorely dissapointed. Not sure what to do with 5 bottles.