MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
pcuccaro wrote:I think they do initial judging before the show (actually took place in November 20120) and then they have the winning wines served at a big tasting dinner event during the actual rodeo.

I admit I don't enjoy the whole rodeo thing, and I don't get the rodeo doing wine thing but it must raise big money for them.

Not defending the competition, but Scott Harvey participates pretty regularly. I think Jana comes during the rodeo event to represent them.

Here's the 2013 champion list.

The weird thing is that the Grand Champion should be one of the Top wines. Somewhere.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Just gonna drop this here....

Granted, but this one is the most true of them all ...

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Looks like someone is looking to cash out of Woot Monkey's
on eBay.

(it isn't me).

edthebedhead

From last weeks pub.

polarbear22 wrote:How was the 2003 Ty Caton Cabernet? That is an option for me as well.

It was great - It still has a wonderful complexity, but I think it's a bit smoother than it was the last bottle I had (2 years ago)? Looks like I purchased it last on 5/15/2009.

That listing says buy now, or hold for 15 years. (unclear from 2003, or 2009). Perhaps the forums had discussed it, but I had it in my head to drink before year 12. So, last 2012, from 2003 is a good 9 years. It seemed like the best bottle I had, and it paired with our 4H grown Prime Rib perfectly.

... I should have bought more!

How many more bottles do you have PB?

edthebedhead

North316 wrote:Bowtie will be proud. I got a Smoker for Christmas. It is probably not the one I would have chosen had I been buying for myself, but it should do the trick and looks to be a good starter unit.

Any smoking suggestions, tips, recipes, etc are more than welcome!

I have a a nice brisket that needs some cooking.

edthebedhead

otolith wrote:I bought a half cow of Holstein from someone from work. It. Was. Excellent.

Had a hard time getting over the fact that I was eating a milk cow and not a beef cow. Once I got over that, I'd love to get another. Sadly, we don't eat a ton of beef.

I bought a 1/4 cow this year. Great so far. And great QPR too, as its a good deal.

edthebedhead

inkycatz wrote:Happy Birthday Cheron98!

Seconded! Happy Happy!

edthebedhead

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yawn. Woot-off. Ho-hum.

Every time I check it today, its more TV's.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
edthebedhead wrote:From last weeks pub.

It was great - It still has a wonderful complexity, but I think it's a bit smoother than it was the last bottle I had (2 years ago)? Looks like I purchased it last on 5/15/2009.

That listing says buy now, or hold for 15 years. (unclear from 2003, or 2009). Perhaps the forums had discussed it, but I had it in my head to drink before year 12. So, last 2012, from 2003 is a good 9 years. It seemed like the best bottle I had, and it paired with our 4H grown Prime Rib perfectly.

... I should have bought more!

How many more bottles do you have PB?

I have one left. Only bought two. I got mine from the winery. Either when I visited, or while I was in the wine club.

We'll think of you tomorrow at our CT gathering. Glad I had the chance to meet you. Hope all is well.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
mother wrote:To "tell us all how silly we were for not buying" seems a pretty good way to paraphrase that.

Like I said, you can interpret however you may.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

edthebedhead

polarbear22 wrote:I have one left. Only bought two. I got mine from the winery. Either when I visited, or while I was in the wine club.

We'll think of you tomorrow at our CT gathering. Glad I had the chance to meet you. Hope all is well.

Likewise. Enjoy! Sorry I can't make it - I'd enjoy it. Happy 2012. We'll do lunch or a gathering again someday.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

It's a good day. My husband got a job! And our Iron Horse came, just in time for celebrating!

polarbear22

edthebedhead wrote:Likewise. Enjoy! Sorry I can't make it - I'd enjoy it. Happy 2012. We'll do lunch or a gathering again someday.

Didn't you leave the area? Like to do lunch again, but I thought you left the state.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

chemvictim wrote:It's a good day. My husband got a job! And our Iron Horse came, just in time for celebrating!

WooHoo!! Congratulations. Enjoy the celebration.

What a Happy New Year!

My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
chemvictim wrote:It's a good day. My husband got a job! And our Iron Horse came, just in time for celebrating!

Congrats to your hubby! Enjoy the Iron Horse!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:It was hard not saying anything...and if anyone would like to buy my corked bottles when I find them I will be happy to give a great discount

Still trying to 'enjoy' the gift, but still can't get over what is quite obviously a very flawed bottle. Took it (both versions), and the Sextant, to work today, along with the Sextant 2009 and four sampled. Two didn't like at all, one 'interesting' and one not bad.
The 'not bad' comment really surprised me considering the person it came from. He's gifted me some pretty tasty bottles in the past. Too bad the winery only made the one appearance and answered no questions. I still claim Brett, until challenged with a better explanation.

CT

rjquillin

Yeah! A job is good, a job for remuneration is even better..

CT

rjquillin

HB Cheron, and many many more!

CT

MarkDaSpark

Nice!

(; ˙puodsǝɹ oʇ ƃuıʇuɐʍ dǝǝʞ ı ˙˙˙ pɐǝɹɥʇ sʞɔıʇ-ılod ǝɥʇ uı ƃuıʞǝǝd doʇs oʇ pǝǝu ı

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Yeah! A job is good, a job for remuneration is even better..

Yes, but a bad day fishing is still better than a good day working!

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nice!

(; ˙puodsǝɹ oʇ ƃuıʇuɐʍ dǝǝʞ ı ˙˙˙ pɐǝɹɥʇ sʞɔıʇ-ılod ǝɥʇ uı ƃuıʞǝǝd doʇs oʇ pǝǝu ı

How'd you do that? Text box and flip it?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chemvictim

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nice!

You should! It's too quiet over there. Especially if you have any input on the fiscal cliff situation, other than hatethemhatethemhatethem, which is all I came up with.

And why on earth are you upside down? Is that what happens if you actually drink some of your wine?

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:How'd you do that? Text box and flip it?

Nope.

How quickly they forget.

˙ǝןboob uo ɹoʇɐɹǝuǝb ʇxǝʇ dıןɟ uo ɥɔɹɐǝs ʇsnظ

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:You should! It's too quiet over there. Especially if you have any input on the fiscal cliff situation, other than hatethemhatethemhatethem, which is all I came up with.

And why on earth are you upside down? Is that what happens if you actually drink some of your wine?

Ⓝⓞⓟⓔ, ⓙⓤⓢⓣ ⓛⓔⓣⓣⓘⓝⓖ ⓞⓤⓣ ⓢⓞⓜⓔ ⓢⓣⓔⓐⓜ. Ⓑⓤⓣ ⓐⓥⓞⓘⓓⓘⓝⓖ ⓘⓢ ⓢⓣⓘⓛⓛ ⓑⓔⓣⓣⓔⓡ ⓕⓞⓡ ⓜⓨ Ⓑⓛⓞⓞⓓ Ⓟⓡⓔⓢⓢⓤⓡⓔ.

And I have drunk my wine at SoCal gatherings!!!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rjquillin wrote:Still trying to 'enjoy' the gift, but still can't get over what is quite obviously a very flawed bottle. Took it (both versions), and the Sextant, to work today, along with the Sextant 2009 and four sampled. Two didn't like at all, one 'interesting' and one not bad.
The 'not bad' comment really surprised me considering the person it came from. He's gifted me some pretty tasty bottles in the past. Too bad the winery only made the one appearance and answered no questions. I still claim Brett, until challenged with a better explanation.

I don't remember anyone else saying this already, so here goes: Apart from everything else that's been said about this wine in general, there's nothing I know of that would preclude your individual bottle being Brett-afflicted. I guess it could be pretty hard to sort out, with all the other "unusual" aspects of this wine. All in all, I don't feel bad about missing out. I was so busy that day that I never even saw it until it was gone.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

otolith

rjquillin wrote:Still trying to 'enjoy' the gift, but still can't get over what is quite obviously a very flawed bottle. Took it (both versions), and the Sextant, to work today, along with the Sextant 2009 and four sampled. Two didn't like at all, one 'interesting' and one not bad.

I don't think you have to worry about it. It was a cheap, bad bottle of wine.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

whoo hooo!!!

chemvictim

mommadeb1 wrote:whoo hooo!!!

Thanks! Unfortunately I think we got a little carried away celebrating. We had the IH Russian, which was awesome as always. Then we had a 2009 Vino Noceto Sangiovese with dinner, which was also awesome as always. It should have ended there. But no, we followed up with River of Skulls. Also awesome.

I feel kinda bleh this morning. lol

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

These weren't form me were they? If they were, let me know and I will ensure you get something I know you will like in perfect condition.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

bkarlan wrote:These weren't form me were they? If they were, let me know and I will ensure you get something I know you will like in perfect condition.

Naw, not to worry.
I think we're talking about the Mirage up the other day, unless I've lost the flick.

CT

MarkDaSpark

Same Monkey as last time. But it is the original!!!

MarkDaSpark

Bueller?

bahwm

Totally! (in response to Sparky's, "Bueller") Where is everybody? I know that cheron & HAK are somewhere on the NYS Thruway on their way to our house.

ddeuddeg is at the supermarket after picking up my NYE dress at the dry cleaners. Yep. I'm wearing a previously worn dress for NYE! Oh, noes! I wore it to the Holiday Ball and decided that it would be perfect for NYE. And, I did just pull it out of the closet for the Ball. I love having a few long dresses on hand for just such occasions!

What everyone doing for NYE?

polarbear22

Slow day here. Cleaning and waiting for the snow to pile up enough to shovel. Plan is to shovel twice so it is not too heavy at the end.

NYE for us is dinner out! First time we are doing that. Local restuarant, chef was named Best Chef in Hartford county. Six course dinner with wine pairings, ending with a champagne toast. Most interesting thing will be whether I can stay up, and keep eating.

My Cellar

otolith

We were going to a friend's house for NYE, until her dad decided to fly the whole family to their place in FL. So, we are now planless.

--John Muir

rjquillin

otolith wrote:We were going to a friend's house for NYE, until her dad decided to fly the whole family to their place in FL. So, we are now planless.

How is it that getting warm is planless..? It is warmer there isn't it?
But you'll have to take the bottles as checked baggage!

CT

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
rjquillin wrote:Naw, not to worry.
I think we're talking about the Mirage up the other day, unless I've lost the flick.

Ok, I just know I dropped off some off the wall wines with you when I meet up with you. The Peach wine feed by a spring that dates back to the Anasazi people, the Red Chile wine and something else. The German Eis had to be good though.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

bkarlan wrote:Ok, I just know I dropped off some off the wall wines with you when I meet up with you. The Peach wine feed by a spring that dates back to the Anasazi people, the Red Chile wine and something else. The German Eis had to be good though.

Working on the Cranberry now, the first of the lot.
I have an exceedingly wide tolerance/acceptance for trying bottles I know absolutely nothing about and would otherwise be difficult to procure. You hit the mark!

I also have a huge curiosity when it comes to the desire to understand something that seems 'off', and can spend an inordinate amount of time attempting to do research on same, as I was so recently afforded the opportunity...

CT

otolith

rjquillin wrote:How is it that getting warm is planless..? It is warmer there isn't it?
But you'll have to take the bottles as checked baggage!

We are not getting taken along!

--John Muir

chemvictim

otolith wrote:We are not getting taken along!

What an injustice!!!