bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ERMD wrote:When I had a farm in Michigan, I would trade hay for the Holstein steers from the dairy farmers, best damn beef

That confirms it. I've never had it, but when a rancher tells you something you listen.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

otolith wrote:I bought a half cow of Holstein from someone from work. It. Was. Excellent.

Had a hard time getting over the fact that I was eating a milk cow and not a beef cow. Once I got over that, I'd love to get another. Sadly, we don't eat a ton of beef.

Was it the other half of ERMD's cow?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:I have a couple friends where what's in my cellar is free reign! I love nights when they come over. it also helps that essentially the same holds true at their place.

Edit: if any of the wine.wooters who I've met make it to the Twin Cities, the same holds true. Just ask polarbear!

He has a great cellar. And yes, he loves to pull out a real nice bottle to share. Great wine I have had there.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:And yes, he loves to pull out something real nice to share.

*guffaw*

polarbear22

Oops.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

bhodilee wrote:*guffaw*

Great. Not sure I am welcome there any longer.

My Cellar

polarbear22

Snow falling. Fire in the fireplace. Hot chocolate with coffee brandy and Kahlua. It's a wonderful night.

My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Great. Not sure I am welcome there any longer.

You weren't supposed to tell!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:You weren't supposed to tell!

I thought they repealed that?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:sadly, most people from Omaha and Lincoln know Mistletoe and all when it comes to steak. They buy it from the grocery store! Then they tend to cook the holy monkey out of it. You gotta get out into the country. A lot of the small towns have a locker (vernacular for butcher shop, I was thrown off at first also) so if they can't find a good butcher shop in that wasteland of urban sprawl known as Lincoln they can find one close by, no excuses!

I grew up half on the farm and half in the city. Dad is a farmer, mom is a city kid. Guess how that marriage ended?

If you chose, not well, you'd be right on. Anyway, I know a fair amount about farming because of where I work and how I grew up, but I'm by no means an expert. Last year a rancher told me Angus means "black cow" and there is ZERO special about it aside from the marketing. Holstein (milk cows) he said are the best eating cows there are, but no one eats them because milk is worth so much.

Green Acres is the place for me...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 561 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just gonna drop this here....

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
ThunderThighs wrote:Just gonna drop this here....

LOVE it!!!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
otolith wrote:You weren't supposed to tell!

Many lol's were had tonight. Thanks guys!

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

Had a great evening tonight! My cousins from Lincoln, NE (imagine that!) came over for dinner with my aunt and my other cousin and his GF. We started with a "White Elephant" gift exchange before dinner. People could steal your gift, if they wanted to and then, you'd have to pick again. Inflatable Fruitcake anyone? We had a lot of laughs. The Celestial Pork Roast was . . . celestial. ddeuddeg outdid him self with this one. The White Chocolate Ginger Cheesecake was phenomenal! The dinner plates and dessert plates looked as if they had been licked clean!

Everybody finally left around 11:30 PM! It's about 12:30 AM and I still have not heard that they got auntie home. Normally, it's about a half hour drive. However, there's something like 8 - 10 inches of snow that fell since about 4 PM! They were going to take the city streets instead of the Thruway. Hopefully, they didn't get stuck on the way. Cars were going down our sidestreet sideways.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Yawn. Woot-off. Ho-hum.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Cheron98!!

Happy Birthday to Cheron98!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

Hey ThunderThighs - I thought you indicated that the Iron Horse would make New Year's. Not yet shipped. Not counting on it myself, but just confirming that things did not go as planned.

My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
polarbear22 wrote:Hey ThunderThighs - I thought you indicated that the Iron Horse would make New Year's. Not yet shipped. Not counting on it myself, but just confirming that things did not go as planned.

I didn't purchase, but if it does go out today or tomorrow it will likely ship 2-day and get there Monday, just in time.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
bhodilee wrote:Was it the other half of ERMD's cow?

No we were selfish. Even named the last one, bobby Q. Had 2 hogs at the same time, Orville and Wilbur , the wright hogs.
Most veal come from steered out dairy calfs also.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★

Thanks

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ThunderThighs

Staff

polarbear22 wrote:Hey ThunderThighs - I thought you indicated that the Iron Horse would make New Year's. Not yet shipped. Not counting on it myself, but just confirming that things did not go as planned.

I'm sure it's on track and was planned for two-day but I'll check with WD.

UPDATE: WD ways they went out yesterday. I did FedEx Track by Reference on your order number and it shows movement. You should have tracking numbers by tonight most likely.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

cheron98 wrote:Thanks

polarbear22

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sure it's on track and was planned for two-day but I'll check with WD.

Thanks for the reply. And that would be great. My wife is happier when I am around to sign for the wine, rather than making her stick around and wait.

My Cellar

otolith

That was an, umm, interesting wine offer yesterday.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:That was an, umm, interesting wine offer yesterday.

I bit my tongue until it was over, and wasn't going to say anything until jmdavidson decided he needed to tell us all how silly we were for not buying ;)

At least they were up front about it :P

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:(Birthday Awesome)

Happy Birthday Cheron98!

I'm just hanging out, really.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
mother wrote:I bit my tongue until it was over, and wasn't going to say anything until jmdavidson decided he needed to tell us all how silly we were for not buying ;)

It was hard not saying anything...and if anyone would like to buy my corked bottles when I find them I will be happy to give a great discount

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bhodilee

tytiger58 wrote:It was hard not saying anything...and if anyone would like to buy my corked bottles when I find them I will be happy to give a great discount

i guess I missed out yesterday!

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Birthday, cheron!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Happy Birthday to Cheron98!!

Happy Birthday to Cheron98!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★

Happy Happy!

mother

mommadeb1 wrote:Happy Happy!

Requisite reaction:

bhodilee

mother wrote:Requisite reaction:

THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON!

otolith

mother wrote:I bit my tongue until it was over, and wasn't going to say anything until jmdavidson decided he needed to tell us all how silly we were for not buying ;)

I don't think he meant it quite like that. It would have helped if the winemaker would have answered more questions about what happened with the wine. I'm sure more people would have been happy to buy with more explanation. Not that it matters to me, as it's not what I'm really looking for...

edit: chipgreen's post was hilarious!

--John Muir

polarbear22

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sure it's on track and was planned for two-day but I'll check with WD.

UPDATE: WD ways they went out yesterday. I did FedEx Track by Reference on your order number and it shows movement. You should have tracking numbers by tonight most likely.

Thanks. I appreciate you looking at my order specifically. I got the e-mail and tracking this afternoon. Left yesterday. (Actually, we got the call from Fed Ex first.)

My Cellar

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I can testify. Received tracking numbers this morning showing shipped yesterday, and received delivery in SF Bay Area just now.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

mother

otolith wrote:I don't think he meant it quite like that. It would have helped if the winemaker would have answered more questions about what happened with the wine. I'm sure more people would have been happy to buy with more explanation.

Really?

jmdavidson wrote:For those that have chosen to not buy this wine, because of the effervescence, you have missed out on a very good wine that at $8 is great for everyday drinking. No one every claimed it was a $40 bottle of cab. Let's not foget that it's a $20 bottle that is now $8.

To "tell us all how silly we were for not buying" seems a pretty good way to paraphrase that.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

This just seems wrong on so many levels: http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/bay_area/news/haak-s-texas-madeira-wins-double-gold/article_e7b43422-5fdd-5295-88fd-f2ec2c05ed35.html

"Haak Vineyards & Winery took home an overwhelming total of 17 medals, including Double-Gold for their 2010 Texas Madeira Blanc du Bois, at the 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition. "

A Madeira from Texas? The "2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition"?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
JOATMON wrote:A Madeira from Texas? The "2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition"?

I checked on google maps, and there is no such place as Madeira, Texas. Therefore, I will deny that any such wine exists, and if anyone insists that it does I will say that it is clearly mislabeled.

I have a feeling that winning awards at such a competition means little to anyone who buys wine that retails for more than $2.99, but maybe it's just my biases showing.

Not to mention the 2013 competition results being announced in 2012.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:To "tell us all how silly we were for not buying" seems a pretty good way to paraphrase that.

I second that motion. Especially with his "every day drinker" part. Cause you know we like to sit around waiting for 2 hours while it decants for an every day drinker!!!

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
coynedj wrote:I checked on google maps, and there is no such place as Madeira, Texas. Therefore, I will deny that any such wine exists, and if anyone insists that it does I will say that it is clearly mislabeled.

I have a feeling that winning awards at such a competition means little to anyone who buys wine that retails for more than $2.99, but maybe it's just my biases showing.

Not to mention the 2013 competition results being announced in 2012.

I think they do initial judging before the show (actually took place in November 20120) and then they have the winning wines served at a big tasting dinner event during the actual rodeo.

I admit I don't enjoy the whole rodeo thing, and I don't get the rodeo doing wine thing but it must raise big money for them.

Not defending the competition, but Scott Harvey participates pretty regularly. I think Jana comes during the rodeo event to represent them.

Here's the 2013 champion list.

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb