-Key lime pie
-Lemon curd
-Arcturus 1999 Blend
-l'Uvaggio 2002 Nebbiolo
-St Barthelemy Barbera port
-Kanelbullar

I need a break.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
klezman wrote:Sampling of menu items from the last two days:
-Rack of lamb
-Boeuf Bourgignon
-Stuffing
-Goat cheese, bacon, mushroom mac and cheese
-Key lime pie
-Lemon curd
-Arcturus 1999 Blend
-l'Uvaggio 2002 Nebbiolo
-Kanelbullar

I need a break.

I can only imagine what you would eat over Christmas if you weren't Jewish...

Ps You forgot any mention of the Chinese you are obligated to eat ;)

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
-Rack of lamb
-Boeuf Bourgignon
-Stuffing
-Key lime pie
-Lemon curd
-Arcturus 1999 Blend
-l'Uvaggio 2002 Nebbiolo
-Kanelbullar

I need a break.

Sounds like you're trying to hatch a food baby.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Oh my! I've checked in a few times and posted on FB, but I forgot to wish all of my very special wine.woot friends who celebrate, a very Merry Christmas!

ddeuddeg and I have been so messed up healthwise for the past month or so that we are still catching up on stuff around the house. Auntie and her two kids and their spouses/SOs are coming for dinner tomorrow. We are so looking forward to that. Spent last evening with our nieces and their families. Got to bond more with the four little ones ages 6, 4 and two 3 year olds! Fun!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
mother wrote:I can only imagine what you would eat over Christmas if you weren't Jewish...

Ps You forgot any mention of the Chinese you are obligated to eat ;)

molarchae's not Jewish, so the cooking was all for her family. Now they've got leftovers for a month.

If I wasn't Jewish I'd probably just cook a turkey or ham and be done with it

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Bowtie will be proud. I got a Smoker for Christmas. It is probably not the one I would have chosen had I been buying for myself, but it should do the trick and looks to be a good starter unit.

Any smoking suggestions, tips, recipes, etc are more than welcome!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

My aunt and Uncle are into wine but are notoriously stingy with their things. They usually provide the wines for family meals.

I knew they had recently been to Napa and so I was excited to see what they were going to bring back. In the bag for xmas dinner were cabs in the $15-25 range and then a bottle of Miner Cab. which I knew was a $75 bottle. Soon enough they opened them all up and then proceeded to hide the Miner cab away from the the other bottles.

I watched as they very sneakily poured from it all night and didn't say a word to anyone.

Should I have;
a.) Called them out
b.) Started pouring it for myself
c.) Kept enjoying the McClean Syrah that I brought and placed on the bar with the other bottles?

Now I am further resolved to not bring anything over $25 ever.

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I always get a funny look at the butcher's. I think I must be one of the only people that picks out his own steaks instead of saying give me three of X. I didn't see any porterhouse I liked so I had them cut me one special. I handpicked my tbone and asked them to get me two center cut filets of the 10oz variety (five bucks each!) For the kids I just get sirloins but I handpicked those as well. I think the kid was happy to get rid of me. I usually get the guy that owns the place. He know's what's coming when I walk in. Couple years ago I was pawing through the prime ribs and his mom was like, what's taking you so long to pick one? I told her, well, none of these ones look very good. She told me she'd be right back and brought out a BEAUTIFUL roast. She told me anyone that takes that kind of time and knows their meat (hah) deserves the best piece in the house.

Moral of the story 1. It pays to live in the beef state 2. Find a good butcher and only buy meat there. You'll know they're a good butcher when they don't get mad when you pick out your own stuff and ask them to cut more if what they have out isn't good enough.

Needless to say, my Christmas dinner was AWESOME. I love porterhouse, not sure why anyone would get a tbone. Silly stepdad.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

klezman

bhodilee wrote:Needless to say, my Christmas dinner was AWESOME. I love porterhouse, not sure why anyone would get a tbone. Silly stepdad.

I've wondered about the difference here. I thought they were both the same cut, just porterhouse is from farther south where the filet side of the bone has more meat.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
cortot20 wrote:My aunt and Uncle are into wine but are notoriously stingy with their things. They usually provide the wines for family meals.

I knew they had recently been to Napa and so I was excited to see what they were going to bring back. In the bag for xmas dinner were cabs in the $15-25 range and then a bottle of Miner Cab. which I knew was a $75 bottle. Soon enough they opened them all up and then proceeded to hide the Miner cab away from the the other bottles.

I watched as they very sneakily poured from it all night and didn't say a word to anyone.

Should I have;
a.) Called them out
b.) Started pouring it for myself
c.) Kept enjoying the McClean Syrah that I brought and placed on the bar with the other bottles?

Now I am further resolved to not bring anything over $25 ever.

Amazing!
I would have "accidently" found the bottle and asked them about it as I proceeded to pour myself a glass.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mother

bhodilee wrote:I love porterhouse, not sure why anyone would get a tbone. Silly stepdad.

I would imagine people that like overcooked beef would think a T-bone was better tasting since it had less filet...

klezman wrote:I've wondered about the difference here. I thought they were both the same cut, just porterhouse is from farther south where the filet side of the bone has more meat.

That's it. Do you like more tenderloin or more strip?

bhodilee

klezman wrote:I've wondered about the difference here. I thought they were both the same cut, just porterhouse is from farther south where the filet side of the bone has more meat.

yeah basically. it's the best of all worlds!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

mother wrote:That's it. Do you like more tenderloin or more strip?

when you cut em two inches thick, you get plenty of both ;)

klezman

mother wrote:That's it. Do you like more tenderloin or more strip?

Strip. Although not as much as rib. So t-bone for me Although a nice dry-aged tenderloin for > 4 weeks would rank only marginally lower in my books. I'm a fan of Costco's USDA Prime rib steaks. Such nice marbling and flavour, even if it's not dry-aged.

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Bowtie will be proud. I got a Smoker for Christmas. It is probably not the one I would have chosen had I been buying for myself, but it should do the trick and looks to be a good starter unit.

start with chicken and pork products. those are simple. Your wood chips will only smoke about an hour before they need changed. Stop adding woodchips after three hours because you're just wasting chips. Not everything you cook requires three hours of smoke exposure (google is your friend). If you make ribs, take them out about 10 degrees below target temp, wrap in heavy duty foil and stick em in an empty cooler for three hours. You will be very very happy you did.

Once you feel like you know enough to go after beef, start with a sirloin roast, smoke it, (put some cab, barefoot works, and water in the water tray) wrap it, slice it THIN and have it as sandwiches with dip. You can make the dip from the resultant cab/water/meat drippings in your water pan. Just cook it down and taste as you go.

Briskets are hard.

North316

bhodilee wrote:
I love porterhouse, not sure why anyone would get a tbone. Silly stepdad.

Unfortunately, around here it seems as if it is becoming increasingly more difficult to find an actual porterhouse. Sometimes they have bad looking t-bones (tiny, tiny filet) labeled as porterhouses (when they are on sale of course) and other times they simply use the names in tandem as if they really are the same cut of meat. My go-to meat shop generally cuts their steaks WAY too thin because they price them by the steak so people don't get scared by the per lb pricing. They will cut a thicker steak if I ask, but it seems like a hassle and honestly I think their per lb price is often fairly high.

Ribeye is still my favorite and anymore I tend to buy it at Costco. Their steaks always have very good marbling and their Ribeyes are cut to a good thickness (1"-1 1/2").

My CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
otolith wrote:Amazing!
I would have "accidently" found the bottle and asked them about it as I proceeded to pour myself a glass.

Same, except I wouldn't have asked about it, just poured a glass and stuck it with the others.

I'm just hanging out, really.

North316

bhodilee wrote:

Briskets are hard.

Challenge accepted.

My CT

mother

North316 wrote:Challenge accepted.

Really don't start there, you're just likely to get discouraged and stop smoking.

Start with pork shoulder/butt for pulled pork. It's almost impossible to screw up.

mother

klezman wrote: I'm a fan of Costco's USDA Prime rib steaks. Such nice marbling and flavour, even if it's not dry-aged.

If only we could get them to carry bone-in or semi-boneless!

For the last few years I've picked up a whole prime boneless rib primal (the cryovac things they cut the steaks from) from Costco and butchered them into steaks as I went through the summer myself... Which is easy with boneless ;)

cortot20

otolith wrote:Amazing!

I think I was just way too nice and kept working on the bottle I brought. Which by the way was not necessarily a better bottle than the Miner Cab. but QPR wise beat it by a mile I'm sure.

CT

cortot20

-Rack of lamb
-Boeuf Bourgignon
-Stuffing
-Key lime pie
-Lemon curd
-Arcturus 1999 Blend
-l'Uvaggio 2002 Nebbiolo
-Kanelbullar

I need a break.

I need a major break too.
I stepped on the scale and only gained two pounds from thanksgiving on, but feel awful right now.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:Sorry! I got like 4 or 5 shirts (only one of them would fit me or SWMBO), bluetooth headphones, a backpack/cooler, a ? bag, reindeer antlers headband thing, a black "Oooooooo"cape screaming monkey, and a letter.

Check the main thread; buy the pinot.

Except for the reindeer antlers headband thing, I'm glad you stole my Bunch of Cheer

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

cortot20 wrote:I think I was just way too nice and kept working on the bottle I brought. Which by the way was not necessarily a better bottle than the Miner Cab. but QPR wise beat it by a mile I'm sure.

I can somewhat understand their line of thought--it's hard to open a bottle of wine, particularly a spendy one, if the people you are with won't necessarily appreciate/enjoy it (for instance, I have an uncle, who, when handed a glass and took a sip, stated, "Mmm, it tastes like wine."). So, depending on who is there, I can get it. Now, if everyone there knows something about wine, and they are being cheap, then screw 'em. Wine is to be shared and enjoyed with the company you're with!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:I think I was just way too nice and kept working on the bottle I brought. Which by the way was not necessarily a better bottle than the Miner Cab. but QPR wise beat it by a mile I'm sure.

I think if they hadn't been drinking from it (as in, hiding it to take home unopened), that would have been my choice.

But since they opened it and were drinking from it, I would have done as Doc O suggested.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

bhodilee wrote:I always get a funny look at the butcher's. I think I must be one of the only people that picks out his own steaks instead of saying give me three of X. I didn't see any porterhouse I liked so I had them cut me one special. I handpicked my tbone and asked them to get me two center cut filets of the 10oz variety (five bucks each!) For the kids I just get sirloins but I handpicked those as well. I think the kid was happy to get rid of me. I usually get the guy that owns the place. He know's what's coming when I walk in. Couple years ago I was pawing through the prime ribs and his mom was like, what's taking you so long to pick one? I told her, well, none of these ones look very good. She told me she'd be right back and brought out a BEAUTIFUL roast. She told me anyone that takes that kind of time and knows their meat (hah) deserves the best piece in the house.

Moral of the story 1. It pays to live in the beef state 2. Find a good butcher and only buy meat there. You'll know they're a good butcher when they don't get mad when you pick out your own stuff and ask them to cut more if what they have out isn't good enough.

Needless to say, my Christmas dinner was AWESOME. I love porterhouse, not sure why anyone would get a tbone. Silly stepdad.

My sister, who lives in Lincoln, wanted to drive up for the rib roast I made! She said the steaks they had yesterday were good, and she was surprised her husband didn't screw them up.

I thought is was state law that you had to know your beef to live in NE! Is it not? ;)

--John Muir

North316

otolith wrote:I can somewhat understand their line of thought--it's hard to open a bottle of wine, particularly a spendy one, if the people you are with won't necessarily appreciate/enjoy it (for instance, I have an uncle, who, when handed a glass and took a sip, stated, "Mmm, it tastes like wine."). So, depending on who is there, I can get it. Now, if everyone there knows something about wine, and they are being cheap, then screw 'em. Wine is to be shared and enjoyed with the company you're with!

Agreed.

I did have to laugh hysterically when I went to a family gathering on Christmas Eve and my mother told me to "help myself" to some of the box of Franzia White Zinfandel she so thoughtfully brought with her.

She promptly received a couple of my cheaper bottles of wine which I was looking to pawn off the next day for Christmas.

My CT

bhodilee

otolith wrote:My sister, who lives in Lincoln, wanted to drive up for the rib roast I made! She said the steaks they had yesterday were good, and she was surprised her husband didn't screw them up.

I thought is was state law that you had to know your beef to live in NE! Is it not? ;)

sadly, most people from Omaha and Lincoln know Mistletoe and all when it comes to steak. They buy it from the grocery store! Then they tend to cook the holy monkey out of it. You gotta get out into the country. A lot of the small towns have a locker (vernacular for butcher shop, I was thrown off at first also) so if they can't find a good butcher shop in that wasteland of urban sprawl known as Lincoln they can find one close by, no excuses!

I grew up half on the farm and half in the city. Dad is a farmer, mom is a city kid. Guess how that marriage ended?

If you chose, not well, you'd be right on. Anyway, I know a fair amount about farming because of where I work and how I grew up, but I'm by no means an expert. Last year a rancher told me Angus means "black cow" and there is ZERO special about it aside from the marketing. Holstein (milk cows) he said are the best eating cows there are, but no one eats them because milk is worth so much.

cortot20

otolith wrote:I can somewhat understand their line of thought--it's hard to open a bottle of wine, particularly a spendy one, if the people you are with won't necessarily appreciate/enjoy it (for instance, I have an uncle, who, when handed a glass and took a sip, stated, "Mmm, it tastes like wine."). So, depending on who is there, I can get it. Now, if everyone there knows something about wine, and they are being cheap, then screw 'em. Wine is to be shared and enjoyed with the company you're with!

This is true. I would suggest not even bringing the bottle if there will be folks who wont appreciate it. Bring something you will enjoy but wont make you cringe when you see your over served uncle gulping it.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:This is true. I would suggest not even bringing the bottle if there will be folks who wont appreciate it. Bring something you will enjoy but wont make you cringe when you see your over served uncle gulping it.

Exactly. Don't bring it if you don't plan on sharing it.

Or you can bring the box wine for uncle to distract him while you serve the good stuff to everyone else.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

When I had a farm in Michigan, I would trade hay for the Holstein steers from the dairy farmers, best damn beef

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
ERMD wrote:When I had a farm in Michigan, I would trade hay for the Holstein steers from the dairy farmers, best damn beef

I know a lot of people buy the bull calves from the local dairies here... haven't heard how they taste....

klezman

mother wrote:If only we could get them to carry bone-in or semi-boneless!

For the last few years I've picked up a whole prime boneless rib primal (the cryovac things they cut the steaks from) from Costco and butchered them into steaks as I went through the summer myself... Which is easy with boneless ;)

I've done that before too. I'd cut them nice and thick but then in half so as to not be eating 20 oz of steak at a time I also strongly prefer the bone-in version. At that point, though, I'm also happy to have a standing roast and just do it up nice and rare.

klezman

I totally agree. I've been known to, in rare circumstances, preferentially pour the "sound commercial wine" into the glasses of those who say "mmm, tastes like wine". But I wouldn't hide it. I also find that the "mmm, wine" group tends to prefer the less expensive bottles, which benefits all present. (One of my good friends falls into this group and strongly prefers cheaper wines.)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
North316 wrote:Bowtie will be proud. I got a Smoker for Christmas. It is probably not the one I would have chosen had I been buying for myself, but it should do the trick and looks to be a good starter unit.

Way to go. I am still hoping to wear down, I mean convince, my wife by Father's Day.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

well, we have 1 our kids birthdays done, Christmas, now to get thru our other kids birthday, and in law visit and a rehearsal dinner and wedding.. all by sat!!! yippie!!!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:well, we have 1 our kids birthdays done, Christmas, now to get thru our other kids birthday, and in law visit and a rehearsal dinner and wedding.. all by sat!!! yippie!!!

Sounds like New Year's Eve is going to be a quiet night at home. You'll be all partied out. Enjoy.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Sounds like New Year's Eve is going to be a quiet night at home. You'll be all partied out. Enjoy.

new years eve we go to what is called "crash and Bash" at the local race track.... redneck entertaining at it's best!! endouro races, school bus figure 8's, boat trailer races, backward pick up truck... and the end is the demolition derby, followed by fireworks!! It is fairly close to the house, so we don't have to drive too far, and it is safe for the kids to walk around if they need to...

otolith

bhodilee wrote:sadly, most people from Omaha and Lincoln know Mistletoe and all when it comes to steak. They buy it from the grocery store! Then they tend to cook the holy monkey out of it. You gotta get out into the country. A lot of the small towns have a locker (vernacular for butcher shop, I was thrown off at first also) so if they can't find a good butcher shop in that wasteland of urban sprawl known as Lincoln they can find one close by, no excuses!

I grew up half on the farm and half in the city. Dad is a farmer, mom is a city kid. Guess how that marriage ended?

If you chose, not well, you'd be right on. Anyway, I know a fair amount about farming because of where I work and how I grew up, but I'm by no means an expert. Last year a rancher told me Angus means "black cow" and there is ZERO special about it aside from the marketing. Holstein (milk cows) he said are the best eating cows there are, but no one eats them because milk is worth so much.

I bought a half cow of Holstein from someone from work. It. Was. Excellent.

Had a hard time getting over the fact that I was eating a milk cow and not a beef cow. Once I got over that, I'd love to get another. Sadly, we don't eat a ton of beef.

--John Muir

otolith

cortot20 wrote:This is true. I would suggest not even bringing the bottle if there will be folks who wont appreciate it. Bring something you will enjoy but wont make you cringe when you see your over served uncle gulping it.

I have a couple friends where what's in my cellar is free reign! I love nights when they come over. it also helps that essentially the same holds true at their place.

Edit: if any of the wine.wooters who I've met make it to the Twin Cities, the same holds true. Just ask polarbear!

--John Muir