MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!!

Wasn't someone complaining about wanting to start the Pub????

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of December 23rd.

December
12/28: CT #?: Shuffle in from Buffalo...
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/19: NorCal #14: Santa Clara Valley Wines
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

X-post from last week's Pub ...

tiger7610 wrote:Are the Bunch of Cheer from some sort of event, or did the last wootoffs actually had some Bunch of Cheer

As far as I know, there haven't been any Bunch of Cheer for the last 3 Woot-offs. Sounds like this one is a thank you for PSquishy being a Post Whore in the forums.

And some others too.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

x-post:

otolith wrote:We are also having prime rib--bone in! We have 2, so I may do one on the grill, and the other in the oven with the convection roast feature. I've always done it on the grill, so using the oven will be a new experience.

Now, to figure out a wine. Possibly a 99 Insignia.

What a great wine choice. We have never made a prime rib on the grill. Won't start tonight, but will have to try that out.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:PoSt away folks!!!

Wasn't someone complaining about wanting to start the Pub????

Yes. I was up at the time, but when your child PukeS (), it kinda takes the fun out of wanting to start the pub. Poor kid.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:x-post:

What a great wine choice. We have never made a prime rib on the grill. Won't start tonight, but will have to try that out.

Not to sound tooooo much like a snob, but I usually like to break out something like that when there are people over who really enjoy wine. Fortunately, I have choices. Was also thinking of possibly breaking out a Barolo of some sort, or even a Brunello.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
otolith wrote:Yes. I was up at the time, but when your child PukeS (), it kinda takes the fun out of wanting to start the pub. Poor kid.

Awwwww, poor kid! I hope it's over & done with quickly & that the rest of you don't get sick, too.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Kyle, I demand to know what was in your WW Bunch of Cheer Don't leave us hanging and then not deliver.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

For those of you going to D&D, check the thread for a killer car rental deal.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith

bahwm wrote:Awwwww, poor kid! I hope it's over & done with quickly & that the rest of you don't get sick, too.

Thanks! He seems better this morning. Back to fighting with his older brother. hehe

--John Muir

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

Cross-posting from the old pub, because it's just too funny to let it die.

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ornaments Make Festive Garland!!! Prepare to pee your pants.

25 Funniest Auto-corrects of 2012. Definitely NSFW.

Edit: My vote goes to 3, 5, 7, & 10 for best ones.

I advise you not to eat or drink anything when you read these. I was laughing so much I could barely breathe at times...

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
cortot20 wrote:Kyle, I demand to know what was in your WW Bunch of Cheer Don't leave us hanging and then not deliver.

yeah...I agree!! what did ya get??!!

polarbear22

Tried to set up the new Blu-ray since my wife is getting some new videos for Christmas.

It will play the previews, but when it comes to main movie, it displays an error message about an "incompatible video signal". I tried all four aspect ratios that the menu has and same error. And why are the previews OK?

Really frustrated, but time to get ready for mass and the guests. So review my options tomorrow.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:X-post from last week's Pub ...

As far as I know, there haven't been any Bunch of Cheer for the last 3 Woot-offs. Sounds like this one is a thank you for PSquishy being a Post Whore in the forums.

Jealousy looks good on you.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Kyle, I demand to know what was in your WW Bunch of Cheer Don't leave us hanging and then not deliver.

Sorry! I got like 4 or 5 shirts (only one of them would fit me or SWMBO), bluetooth headphones, a backpack/cooler, a ? bag, reindeer antlers headband thing, a black "Oooooooo"cape screaming monkey, and a letter.

Check the main thread; buy the pinot.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Sorry! I got like 4 or 5 shirts (only one of them would fit me or SWMBO), bluetooth headphones, a backpack/cooler, a ? bag, reindeer antlers headband thing, a black "Oooooooo"cape screaming monkey, and a letter.

I got several shirts, mostly children's sizes. Two toothbrushes, a pocket knife, the same woot monkey. A 2012 Woot Calendar (funniest thing), a ? bag, a Cathy Griffin Greatest Hits DVD (W-T-F, hah), a letter, and a Kelty hiking backpack. I think that's everything.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
MarkDaSpark wrote:X-post from last week's Pub ...

And some others too.

Hmm, I should ask one of my friends to walk past my house and see if this was delivered. I didnt stop my mail because I was only going to be gone for 10 days and I dont get too much stuff.

mommadeb1

kylemittskus wrote:Sorry! I got like 4 or 5 shirts (only one of them would fit me or SWMBO), bluetooth headphones, a backpack/cooler, a ? bag, reindeer antlers headband thing, a black "Oooooooo"cape screaming monkey, and a letter.

what fun!!

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:I got several shirts, mostly children's sizes. Two toothbrushes, a pocket knife, the same woot monkey. A 2012 Woot Calendar (funniest thing), a ? bag, a Cathy Griffin Greatest Hits DVD (W-T-F, hah), a letter, and a Kelty hiking backpack. I think that's everything.

cool!!

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:x-post:

How do you cook up your prime rib roast? Am going to do one in the oven, one on the grill.

Thinking I'm going to do the convect roast/bake at 425 for 15', then decrease to 325, and see where that gets me.

--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:How do you cook up your prime rib roast? Am going to do one in the oven, one on the grill.

Thinking I'm going to do the convect roast/bake at 425 for 15', then decrease to 325, and see where that gets me.

I'd probably go lower than 325.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:How do you cook up your prime rib roast? Am going to do one in the oven, one on the grill.

How I do it:
1) Let roast come to room temperature
2) Heavily season
3) Sear in a hot pan
4) Optionally crust with mustard/horseradish*
5) Put in a oven preheated to 450+, turn down to 250-275
6) Remove when temperature in center reaches 126F and let rest at least 15 minutes.

That should leave you with a near perfect medium rare most or all the way through.

*Slather with mustard and stick fresh grated horseradish to the mustard, or squeeze liquid out of prepared horseradish and mix with mustard and slather over roast.

kylemittskus wrote:I'd probably go lower than 325.

325 will work, but a lower temperature will give you less of a doneness gradient... Same with letting the roast come to room temp HO! HO! HO!

mommadeb1

mother wrote:325 will work, but a lower temperature will give you less of a doneness gradient... Same with letting the roast come to room temp first.

I will have to give hubby that recipe for our roast

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Just started work on the Bumpy the Goose (named by my 4 yr old). All this while drinking some Italian wine. She will be stuffed with some citrus and veggies, basted with some syrups and brandy, and served with some port cumberland sauce. Of course a nice Napa Cab will be served with it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

mommadeb1

Watching one of my all time favorite movies "A Christmas Story"!!

otolith

mother wrote:325 will work, but a lower temperature will give you less of a doneness gradient... Same with letting the roast come to room temp first.

Thanks!

Will definitely go with a lower temp after the initial heat wave.

--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

Anyone catch some of the Firefly 10th anniversary retrospective filmed at SD Comic-Con that aired on Dish Sat this evening? One series that should not have been cancelled so early, but it lives on.

CT

polarbear22

425 for 20 minutes, and just over an hour at 350 for a 6 lb roast. A little closer to medium than medium rare, though she used a thermometer and took it out at 125. Very tasty.

My Cellar

tiger7610

And no Bunch of Cheer on Christmas again, I'm convinced this is the end of us trying to get them. I think Amazon killed woot, and the woot offs. At least there is still the wine.woot community

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Anyone catch some of the Firefly 10th anniversary retrospective filmed at SD Comic-Con that aired on Dish Sat this evening? One series that should not have been cancelled so early, but it lives on.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago on FiOS. And totally agree.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

bkarlan

There is a lot of animosity over on the main Woot site. I think I will just hang here and keep taking some drinks as my recipe calls for them in my goose.

Port and brandy so far. Its working out to be a great morning

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

Oh, and as Frosty would say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

bkarlan

On a wine note, we are expecting to receive orders and move out of NM in 2013. I need to move ~150 bottles with me. Do I need to be aware of any laws regarding the private transportation of wine across the US?

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
bkarlan wrote:On a wine note, we are expecting to receive orders and move out of NM in 2013. I need to move ~150 bottles with me. Do I need to be aware of any laws regarding the private transportation of wine across the US?

Last I checked, the claim is we are still in a free country, but an interesting question nonetheless.

Sounds like you're having a lovely morning.

Merry Christmas all!

CT

mommadeb1

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bkarlan wrote:On a wine note, we are expecting to receive orders and move out of NM in 2013. I need to move ~150 bottles with me. Do I need to be aware of any laws regarding the private transportation of wine across the US?

It might depend on which state you're moving to. When I moved to VA there was something...supposed to fill out a form or something like that. I ignored it.

tiger7610

We are making mulled wine as well as turkey. Plus its not christmas without going to shovel some snow. White christmas this year!

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

opened my TO mystery library box
03' Tanner Vineyard Syrah
05' viognier
04' White %@#$!
07' Pig Stai
06' Tempranillo
06' Murgatroyd

Overall very happy.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Anyone catch some of the Firefly 10th anniversary retrospective filmed at SD Comic-Con that aired on Dish Sat this evening? One series that should not have been cancelled so early, but it lives on.

Sounds interesting. I should try to find that...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT