yorknh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
joyironhorse wrote:This is a very interesting question. I would go for the Classic Vintage Brut, then the Wedding, followed by Russian Cuvee. But, some people I know and love, prefer the Wedding Cuvee first, So ......



Thanks for the suggestion. Based on everyone's comments, I'm looking forward to popping the cork on my first bottle of Iron Horse.

joyironhorse


quality posts: 50 Private Messages joyironhorse
xibbumbero wrote:I remember buying this trio before but I don't remember paying $89.99. X



These are all new vintages ... and most delicious.

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
joyironhorse wrote:These are all new vintages ... and most delicious.



What happened to the 2007? All gone? Did those make it up on woot at all? Last time I got the final disgorgement of the 2006.

Joy, I wish I'd been able to stay on the rpm tour long enough this year to make the visit. Hope all is well.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
klezman wrote:What happened to the 2007? All gone? Did those make it up on woot at all? Last time I got the final disgorgement of the 2006.

Joy, I wish I'd been able to stay on the rpm tour long enough this year to make the visit. Hope all is well.



2007 was offered last December

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:2007 was offered last December



Nope...that was the 2006 final disgorgement. The 2007 might have been on woot+ though.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
klezman wrote:Nope...that was the 2006 final disgorgement. The 2007 might have been on woot+ though.



Not Woot Plus, but it was for Mother's Day in May.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:Not Woot Plus, but it was for Mother's Day in May.



Ah. Thanks for digging that up. I should have bought it, I guess. But same $30/bottle it is now. Still on the fence since I'm not supposed to be buying anything at all.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

83fxwg


quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg
xibbumbero wrote:I remember buying this trio before but I don't remember paying $89.99. X



Ditto...I love IH and the economy may be changing , but I can still get plenty of quality bubbly for much less than $30/bottle.

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

chardonay


quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

The first year I ordered this it came with glasses... Cheap glasses but still fun none the less

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
83fxwg wrote:Ditto...I love IH and the economy may be changing , but I can still get plenty of quality bubbly for much less than $30/bottle.



Really?! Like what?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Johnnys13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Johnnys13

I have been to the Iron Horse winery, it's considered one of the best in the area. I really enjoyed the Brut, it's delicious. Beautiful property and a great place to sip some wine if you're ever in Northern CA.

joyironhorse


quality posts: 50 Private Messages joyironhorse
klezman wrote:Ah. Thanks for digging that up. I should have bought it, I guess. But same $30/bottle it is now. Still on the fence since I'm not supposed to be buying anything at all.



But, if you wait .........

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
joyironhorse wrote:But, if you wait .........



Oh? I can see a few options:
1) 2008 vintage ages nicely
2) Buy 2007 vintage when it reappears on w.w.
3) I drink my 2000-2002 bottles
4) I drink some of my many bottles of 2006

Which would you suggest?

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

joyironhorse


quality posts: 50 Private Messages joyironhorse
klezman wrote:Oh? I can see a few options:
1) 2008 vintage ages nicely
2) Buy 2007 vintage when it reappears on w.w.
3) I drink my 2000-2002 bottles
4) I drink some of my many bottles of 2006

Which would you suggest?



Well, #1 is certainly true and unfortunately #2 can't happen

WilfBrim


quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I've nearly always not passed up on Iron Horse, and I'm not passing up on this one. Very, very great for NYE. I considered (very briefly) getting some bottles for toasting at my upcoming nuptuials, but those Phillistines wouldn't appreciate such fine sparkling vino. This is all for daddy.

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Where are these on the dry/sweet scale vs. the '07 Fairy Tale Cuvée which I absolutely love?

Thanks.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

83fxwg


quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg
kylemittskus wrote:Really?! Like what?


You're kidding right? You might try Roederer Estate or Gruet or my new fave Argyle for starters...

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Had to order. No room in the cellar, but we'll find space for IH sparklers, I only have 6 on hand.

And some of that wonderful T-bar-T Cab Franc and Bdx 3.

The only thing better than their wine is their hospitality.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

strongry


quality posts: 3 Private Messages strongry
83fxwg wrote:Ditto...I love IH and the economy may be changing , but I can still get plenty of quality bubbly for much less than $30/bottle.


Sorry, I certainly agree that you can find economical and tasty wines, but you are not going to get Iron Horse quality at that price point.

Without sounding like a complete tool, my first drink of Iron Horse changed my whole perspective on wine. My wife and I loved Iron Horse so much, we basically planned a trip to California around visiting Iron Horse (well worth it..).

strongry


quality posts: 3 Private Messages strongry
polarbear22 wrote:Had to order.

The only thing better than their wine is their hospitality.



I agree completely. Everyone was so friendly on our visit in August.

Of all of the trips my wife and I have taken, our visit to Iron Horse was one of our fondest memories.

jhkey


quality posts: 52 Private Messages jhkey
83fxwg wrote:You're kidding right? You might try Roederer Estate or Gruet or my new fave Argyle for starters...



Is wine purely about dollars saved? Or is there something more transcendental about the experience of drinking wine? Something about the place where the grapes were grown? Tasting the differences in approach that the various wine makers take when they craft the wine and / or grow the grapes?
Personally, I enjoy exploring the options and comparing the differences.

All that being said, you're complaining over $5. Great wine at a fair price is great wine at a fair price. Buy it and enjoy it. If not, you will regret it!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
mschauber wrote:Where are these on the dry/sweet scale vs. the '07 Fairy Tale Cuvée which I absolutely love?

Thanks.



ohhh me too....Fairy Tale is sooo yummy!!

83fxwg


quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg
jhkey wrote:Is wine purely about dollars saved? Or is there something more transcendental about the experience of drinking wine? Something about the place where the grapes were grown? Tasting the differences in approach that the various wine makers take when they craft the wine and / or grow the grapes?
Personally, I enjoy exploring the options and comparing the differences.

All that being said, you're complaining over $5. Great wine at a fair price is great wine at a fair price. Buy it and enjoy it. If not, you will regret it!



Everyone put down the Woot Koolaide for a second...don't get me wrong, I love IH...and I love wine (I have a 700+ cellar), I'm not complaining about $5, but there is a price point for everything. As much as I love IH I have to draw a line in the sand for all of my purchases. Experimentation aside, can I get the same or similar satisfaction for for my price point (less than $30/bot)....the answer is yes.

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

chemvictim


quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
83fxwg wrote:Everyone put down the Woot Koolaide for a second...don't get me wrong, I love IH...and I love wine (I have a 700+ cellar), I'm not complaining about $5, but there is a price point for everything. As much as I love IH I have to draw a line in the sand for all of my purchases. Experimentation aside, can I get the same or similar satisfaction for for my price point (less than $30/bot)....the answer is yes.



To each his own, but for me...yeah I can get a perfectly nice bottle of bubbles for $5 less, but it just ain't the same. I'd rather pay 30 for a great bottle than 25 for a serviceable bottle. Not that I'm drinking the $30 bottle every day, mind you. I'd recommend the IH for anybody who loves bubbles and would like a cut above the ordinary.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
83fxwg wrote:You're kidding right? You might try Roederer Estate or Gruet or my new fave Argyle for starters...



Yeah; I'm kidding! This guy walks into a bar and says, "Where?" And then, this other guy asks... Funny joke, right?

I haven't had Gruet, but I seriously doubt that a $15/btl sparkling from NM is on par with IH. And there's nothing wrong with that. Argyle seems to be the same or more expensive than this woot offer (at club price), and Roederer is certainly nice ($7 cheaper for the cheapest bottle) but even if you think it's equivalent to IH quality-wise, I don't see them hanging out with us on the internet a couple days before Christmas.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chad1323ross


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Any word on shipping? I *depend* on Woot for my NYE bubbles and, with no shipping notification, I'm beginning to worry... I have my juice shipped to my office and there's we're only open two more days before then. Yikes!

222 bottles and counting.

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

chad1323ross wrote:Any word on shipping? I *depend* on Woot for my NYE bubbles and, with no shipping notification, I'm beginning to worry... I have my juice shipped to my office and there's we're only open two more days before then. Yikes!



Per the Wine.Woot FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

WilfBrim


quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

[quote postid="5291793" user="ROGETRAY"]Per the Wine.Woot FAQ:

Yes, we know. Not to be a bit of a jerkface on this, but the very first line of the description was:

"In Time for New Year's Eve"

This was an offering that was clearly designed for a New Years Eve drinker. It would appear that they have not shipped (as of 9AM EST, 27 December). Unless you are planning on using overnight (second day won't work) these are not going to arrive until after January 1.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

These shipped out yesterday (Wednesday). FedEx track by reference seems to be working for these.

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

random122


quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
ThunderThighs wrote:These shipped out yesterday (Wednesday).



Just got my tracking number and it's arriving today (SF). Even though the description said it'll be here by NYE, I was skeptical given the three day shipping window (most businesses). As usual, I'm proved wrong. Great turnaround time on these. Thanks w.w!

WilfBrim


quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim
ThunderThighs wrote:These shipped out yesterday (Wednesday). FedEx track by reference seems to be working for these.

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.



Thanks TT. I got the email today. It is due to arrive (they say) Friday to the mail drop. At worst, it will get there by Monday.