WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever made your own wine?
  • 15.8% - Yes 220
  • 79.7% - No 1109
  • 4.5% - I tried but it tasted like Kool-Aid 63
1392 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

matt1976

quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976

Does the sippy cup full of apple juice that I found behind the couch count?

I've dabbled in cordials and liqueurs and have made a couple batches of mead, but never a wine.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

This year we even made it from our own grapes from the Pinot vineyard!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

scprice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scprice

My boyfriend and I took a free class at Bull City Homebrew (http://brewmasterstore.com/) back in August and have been making wine from kits since then. (Really, he does most of the work, and I'm just the lovely assistant.)

All supplies came from Bull City Homebrew, and I think we've finished 5 batches of wine at about 30 bottles each so far, and we have 2 more batches going right now.

melmat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melmat

Thought of and did the homework on how to make blackberry wine... never got around to it

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

yes, Muscadine wine.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

No, but my grandfather did. Unfortunately, neither his recipes nor the fabulous food recipes from my grandmother were passed on.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

It was eggnog.
I was suppose to use grape juice?
At least I put sugar in it.
It looked like sugar.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

Sheena3745

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Sheena3745

Mom & I tried to make cherry wine once but never got to taste it. After the first couple of "steps" it looked so disgusting we threw it away.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

I left grapes in a fridge drawer for 6 months. Does that count?

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
scprice wrote:My boyfriend and I took a free class at Bull City Homebrew (http://brewmasterstore.com/) back in August and have been making wine from kits since then. (Really, he does most of the work, and I'm just the lovely assistant.)

All supplies came from Bull City Homebrew, and I think we've finished 5 batches of wine at about 30 bottles each so far, and we have 2 more batches going right now.

That's an awful lot of wine for 2 people to make over just 4 months. What kinds of wine (I am assuming it's wine from various fruits and not all from grapes) have you made, and what have you done with the 150 bottles?

pentland45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pentland45

I made wine as a demonstration in Speech class in college.

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

In high school, abuddy of mine's mother made wine, so he knew a bit of how to make it. We went out in the woods and picked some elderberries and made wine. Added sugar, which jacked up the alcohol level pretty high. Nasty hangover is remembered more clearly than how good it was..........

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

A friend of mine got me started a few years ago. Most of the wine is from kits. Reds I have made are not as good. A decent white from Symphony juice. Really good ice style Riesling. That one is my favorite. And cherry wine from the fruit that turned out very well.

It is fun and very enjoyable, but you better make something you like, as you will have about 30 bottles to drink.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

Made many gallons of sugar wine. It is surprisingly drinkable, considering. In fact, I bet if I were to filter, clarify and bottle some, many white-wine sippers would find it perfectly drinkable and would remark on what an unusually crisp dry wine this was. Of course, after running through my still it all ended up as white dog. Think vodka, but with a faint flavor.

For the curious.