Staff

Poll: Do you save your corks?
  • 3.2% - Yes. I cut them up and make coasters with them. 32
  • 22.9% - Yes. I display them in a glass bowl or jar. 231
  • 7.9% - Yes. I sniff them on occasion. 80
  • 60.6% - No. That’s dumb. 612
  • 5.4% - Other (comments, please) 55
1010 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613

You can recycle them at Whole Foods; they have a drop for them. I go there every now and then with all my saved-up corks.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I repave the streets with them. It's faster than waiting for the city to get to it. ;-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

jelliebaby

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jelliebaby

Most of my bottles seem to have metal screw-on lids ;)

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TheTexasTwister
jelliebaby wrote:Most of my bottles seem to have metal screw-on lids ;)

You get bottles? My adult beverage usually comes in a cardboard box. I knew I was missing out on something.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

I have a cork barrel that they get tossed into. Helps to Convince people that I really do have a problem.

CT

pdougan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdougan

Yes. I put a notch down the length of the cork. Then my wife stuffs a 20 light string of lcd Christmas lights in the bottles and ties a pretty bow around the top of the bottle. Push the lead in wire into the notch and recork the bottle. She uses them as night light in all of the bathrooms or any place that needs a little brightening up.

piratius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piratius

I use the corks to make little boats for decor, and fun in the sink.

Break a toothpick in half, stick it in each side (not end!) of the cork. Stick a full length toothpick from the side you want to be the top. Cut out a little square of paper, and voila, a mini sink-boat!

I know, I'm coal.

And also 5 at heart.

I've bought more than 30 separate woots.

If you don't buy, don't grumble and/or bemoan fate.

GetOffMyLawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GetOffMyLawn

I use them as "Fish Mops" for breeding fish. Some fish lay eggs in aquatic plants. If you wrap about 20 strands of yarn at about 6 inches long hanging from a wine cork it makes for a great breeding mop for them to lay and fertilize eggs. After they have done the deed you can remove the fish mop and place it in another tank until the baby fish hatch.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

I've been saving them for years, and one day I plan to get around to doing something with them.

gwar28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwar28
pdougan wrote:Yes. I put a notch down the length of the cork. Then my wife stuffs a 20 light string of lcd Christmas lights in the bottles and ties a pretty bow around the top of the bottle. Push the lead in wire into the notch and recork the bottle. She uses them as night light in all of the bathrooms or any place that needs a little brightening up.

Can you post a link to this? Or a picture?

scotteri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotteri
quark613 wrote:You can recycle them at Whole Foods; they have a drop for them. I go there every now and then with all my saved-up corks.

Yup, that's exactly what I do. The only downside is that it makes it very easy to see exactly how many bottles of wine we've drunk over a given amount of time...

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

I save them in a large fancy jar. I did see a wreath made with them once. Maybe I'll do that one day. Nah.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

faeryprincezz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faeryprincezz

I throw them on the floor for the cats to play with. After a couple of months I retrieve them from under the stove and they think they just got all new toys.

johnnymercer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnymercer

We were finally able to complete the wine cork board kit that we bought 5 years ago. It's pretty awesome.

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

I plan on making a picture, using the red wine cork ends look like a bunch of grapes and surround it with plain corks. Took a picture of one at a winery that looked pretty cool.

Nhonami

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nhonami

Honestly, it has never occurred to me to save the corks. Maybe I will start though and write the date on them and everything.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

Yep. We used them in our wedding. I have no idea why I save them now, though. I do nothing with them.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

JonnyRedBike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonnyRedBike

Saving them to make a cork board. It's kind of cool and you can make any size depending on how much you drink!

bj20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bj20

What's a cork?

pdougan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdougan
gwar28 wrote:Can you post a link to this? Or a picture?

You can see one example with three pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109197254686412506187/WineNightLight#5824186089355683570

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
pdougan wrote:You can see one example with three pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109197254686412506187/WineNightLight#5824186089355683570

Sorry, that page was not found.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613
North316 wrote:Sorry, that page was not found.

Worked for me. That's beautiful!

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
pdougan wrote:You can see one example with three pictures here:

Very cool.

North try this:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

lahargis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lahargis

Yes, I save corks, lots of corks, lol. too many corks.. lol. I need more projects

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

You could always make one of these!

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb