soldierbot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soldierbot
p2002 wrote:Thank you for the input. Any idea of the publish date of the reviews?

The 05 - 12/31/2009
The 06 - 12/31/2011

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bkarlan wrote:I always forget to listen to the vintners voicemail. Just went back to listen to it and I went in on the the Spring Mountain.

Last Wooter to Woot:
bkarlan

yes, the vintner voice mail is very well done and can help discern which one to grab.

lollie4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lollie4

Got the Howell because it will be ready soonest. Spring will be the best, but will be slower to be ready. Like big bottles because wineries put there best in them, I have always been told. Might be wrong, but people who work in the business say that. I hope it will be ready in 2014.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Winedavid39 wrote:yes, the vintner voice mail is very well done and can help discern which one to grab.

For those too lazy to go look at the info page: Vintner Voicemail

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Must. Resist.
I love large format bottles! They are a blast to open with a bunch of friends.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
otolith wrote:Must. Resist.

Seriously. If it doesn't come in a wooden display box...

atlaspeak1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages atlaspeak1
funbunny wrote:I don't understand why everyone is wigging out about storage for 15 years. I'm sure these will be great in just a couple of years. The vintners voicemail said that any of these are even fine to open now. Have a big barbecue this summer, throw a carcass on the fire and pop the cork. It's that simple.

Couldn't agree more! What??- no need to wait for 15 years. These wines will be tasting very nice in under 5 years. Vintage 2007 (declared best of decade) showed bright fruit and soft tannins. This will help the wine if you're drinking it now or in the near future. Heck, life is short-uncork, decant, and enjoy over the holidays.

alukan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alukan

Urgh ... so tempted as I have grandkids where they will be graduating from college and other events about the time these wines mature. I could easily talk myself into three of the Spring.

But I genuinely don't have the space in my wine coolers for something this large (with all the other wines in various stages of cellering).

atlaspeak1

Insert NIKE motto here.

It's a STEAL at $199.99 (reg price $350.00)for a 2007 Napa Cab. These large formats rarely leave the winery, so access to this heavenly liquid should be reason alone.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

I sooo want to buy a couple of these. I have a 1.5L Atlas Peak, that I was planning to open in a few years. These big boys would be wonderful. But... price and storage, and I already have too many, and no wine locker offsite to store large numbers of bottles. Oh, woah is me.

Personally, I might go a bit diffenently in in preference to some - Howell Mountain, Mt. Veeder then Spring. Just my $.02

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Howell Mountain is SOLD OUT!

Only three options now which means you can buy one of each!

Which one is next to sell out!

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Excuse my ignorance - but since both are Atlas Peak - how is $50 for the equivalent of a 750ml bottle of a 2007 vintage such a crazy-ass deal if you can get the aged Ardente for $20 a bottle for the 1997, 2001 and 2002 vintage combo at the same time? Is the Ardente in any way 'inferior' in terms of ratings, branding, value, quality ...?

Or are we paying for the novelty of a double magnum?

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
andreaserben wrote:Excuse my ignorance - but since both are Atlas Peak - how is $50 for the equivalent of a 750ml bottle of a 2007 vintage such a crazy-ass deal if you can get the aged Ardente for $20 a bottle for the 1997, 2001 and 2002 vintage combo at the same time? Is the Ardente in any way 'inferior' in terms of ratings, branding, value, quality ...?

Or are we paying for the novelty of a double magnum?

well it could be the hideous label on the Ardente

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:well it could be the hideous label on the Ardente

Truth!

Also, assuming that the wines are of the same caliber would be a mistake. I'm not saying they're not, but making that assumption isn't the best thing to do for comparison's sake. For one thing, these are vineyard designated, meaning all the fruit comes from the single AVA. I don't know, but I'm guessing that the Ardente is a blend. Bad thing? Of course not. But you don't get the same sense of place you would with one of these.

And, to some extent, yes; you're paying for the novelty of 4 bottles in one. Generally large format bottles are more expensive than 750s per ml.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Truth!

Also, assuming that the wines are of the same caliber would be a mistake. I'm not saying they're not, but making that assumption isn't the best thing to do for comparison's sake. For one thing, these are vineyard designated, meaning all the fruit comes from the single AVA. I don't know, but I'm guessing that the Ardente is a blend. Bad thing? Of course not. But you don't get the same sense of place you would with one of these.

And, to some extent, yes; you're paying for the novelty of 4 bottles in one. Generally large format bottles are more expensive than 750s per ml.

Also differe wine-makers, different winemaking styles, different cooperage, etc....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

andreaserben

kylemittskus wrote:For one thing, these are vineyard designated, meaning all the fruit comes from the single AVA. I don't know, but I'm guessing that the Ardente is a blend.

Wouldn't both have to be disclosed?

kylemittskus wrote:

... but to what extent?

I completely understand that there are price differences between winemakers and wines - as a 3-buck-chuck from TJ is of course not the same as crafted small-winery-wine.

I am specifically interested why everybody is SO excited about 2007 for $50 for the equivalent of a bottle from those specific "Atlas Peak" winery (atlaspeak.com) versus the Ardente... but then even info on the Ardente is rather 'light' in the Interweb.

Ratings/prices won/reputation of the specific winery VS the Ardente/exceptional vintage year - I have read not much tangible other than liking the marketing/distribution in the 3L form factor.

On their website they do not seem to sell the 2007 at all, which makes me a bit cautious.

North316

andreaserben wrote:... but to what extent?

I completely understand that there are price differences between winemakers and wines - as a 3-buck-chuck from TJ is of course not the same as crafted small-winery-wine.

I am specifically interested why everybody is SO excited about 2007 for $50 for the equivalent of a bottle from those specific wineries versus the Ardente... but then even info on the Ardente is rather 'light' in the Interweb.

Ratings/prices won/reputation of the specific wineries VS the Ardente/exceptional vintage year - I have read not much tangible other than liking the marketing/distribution in the 3L form factor.

I don't know the number off the top of my head, but in order to label a wine with a certain AVA designation, it must contain a certain percentage of grapes from that designation (I believe it is 90% but it could be as low as 80%).

I would venture to say that people are excited about this wine for three reasons.

1) 2007 is widely considered the best or top 2, vintages of the last decade.

2) The AVA's on these wines are exceptional growing regions for top quality, age-able cabernet.

3) Double-Mag

Combine all of these and you have awesome grapes, from a great vintage, from an area that produces high quality, age-worthy cabernet, in a bottle format that lends itself to better aging and makes a great centerpiece for significant special occasions.

How does this differ from the Ardente? In every single way except the AVA....

I personally bought neither of these wines, so am not biased. I would stand my 3L of 2007 Jana Cathedral up to this any day of the week, and I paid $25 less!

My CT

andreaserben

North316 wrote:1) 2007 is widely considered the best or top 2, vintages of the last decade.

2) The AVA's on these wines are exceptional growing regions for top quality, age-able cabernet.

thanks - that was actually helpful

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
andreaserben wrote:thanks - that was actually helpful

Are you saying I wasn't?

I agree with North. 2007 and double mags. 2007 is the year you want lots and lots of CS from Sonoma/Napa.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bobrush12866 wrote:Howell Mountain is SOLD OUT!

Only three options now which means you can buy one of each!

Which one is next to sell out!

Dagnabit!! I waited too long!

Oh well, got the Howell Mtn one.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316

kylemittskus wrote:

I agree with North.

You should just make this your signature, Kyle.

My CT

atlaspeak1

Hi, this is Ondine - the winemaker. Certainly there is no need or requirement to age for a further 15 years - the wine is just capable of extended aging. In the short term the wine is rich and structured with big tannins. Cheers

tytiger58 wrote:Where am I going to store that for 15 years??

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Are you saying I wasn't?

I agree with North. 2007 and double mags. 2007 is the year you want lots and lots of CS from Sonoma/Napa.

You two don't know anything! My comment was by far the most helpful.

atlaspeak1

AND...they make great display pieces when signed by everyone who enjoyed indulging in them! Also impresses wine wonks

otolith wrote:Must. Resist.

atlaspeak1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Dagnabit!! I waited too long!

Hi - Ondine again. I would go for the Spring Mountain after the Howell - elegance without the brawn.

atlaspeak1

North316 wrote:I don't know the number off the top of my head, but in order to label a wine with a certain AVA designation, it must contain a certain percentage of grapes from that designation (I believe it is 90% but it could be as low as 80%).

I would venture to say that people are excited about this wine for three reasons.

1) 2007 is widely considered the best or top 2, vintages of the last decade.

3) Double-Mag

Combine all of these and you have awesome grapes, from a great vintage, from an area that produces high quality, age-worthy cabernet, in a bottle format that lends itself to better aging and makes a great centerpiece for significant special occasions.

How does this differ from the Ardente? In every single way except the AVA....

I personally bought neither of these wines, so am not biased. I would stand my 3L of 2007 Jana Cathedral up to this any day of the week, and I paid $25 less!

Hi - Ondine here - 3L are not widely produced and are usually bottled for use by special accounts or for winery-direct (such as wine club) sales for special occassions. As noted already the larger format matures more slowly than the small bottles, and makes a great statement visually but scarcity also plays into this. If you are buying for volume then the economics of 750 mls might be more favorable whereas buying a large format is about the wine as well as the enhanced experience of sharing it. Other factors go into the expense of large format bottles as well including the not so glamorous expenses of glass, custom label and hand-cut corks (larger dimensions).

atlaspeak1

atlaspeak1 wrote:Couldn't agree more! What??- no need to wait for 15 years. These wines will be tasting very nice in under 5 years. Vintage 2007 (declared best of decade) showed bright fruit and soft tannins. This will help the wine if you're drinking it now or in the near future. Heck, life is short-uncork, decant, and enjoy over the holidays.

Hi, winemaker Ondine here. Just another note about why I mentioned long-term ageability. Many people like to purchase a bottle from the vintage of the year of a child's birth as a gift for when that child reaches the legal drinking age. If you have a child or niece or nephew or godchild born in 2007 for whom you would like to purchase a cornerstone for her/his cellar these would be excellent choices. Parents will be envious.

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank
atlaspeak1 wrote:Hi - Ondine again. I would go for the Spring Mountain after the Howell - elegance without the brawn.

Well, took your advice and went with the Spring Mountain. I also purchased the 3 vinyard 2006 last week so it should be an interesting Atlas trip. Will try to take notes on the 2006's to read when I finally open the big boy in a few years.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:Dagnabit!! I waited too long!

Hey. Next August is my 5 year wedding anniversary. Just saying......................

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
joelsisk wrote:Seriously. If it doesn't come in a wooden display box...

That's reason enough right there!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tytiger58

As I sit here thinking about this offer I have to ask myself...why the he@@ didn't I buy more of the mountain 3 packs

Maybe the winery/woot will bring that back again???

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Spring mountain is gone.

I wish woot would go back to telling us how many of each were available. I understand why they dont, but as a curious consumer I want the numbers.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

Hey Ondine, on the last 3L purchase, Scott Harvey was kind enough to sign our bottles did we get the same gesture from you?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bkarlan wrote:Hey Ondine, on the last 3L purchase, Scott Harvey was kind enough to sign our bottles did we get the same gesture from you?

too late, we already have them in the warehouse and primed to ship in time for Christmas. good idea for next time though.

bkarlan

Winedavid39 wrote:too late, we already have them in the warehouse and primed to ship in time for Christmas. good idea for next time though.

Hey WD feel like signing mine instead

Honestly though, with any of the 3L bottles it would be great to have the winemaker sign them.

See what you started SH, you set the bar high

bkarlan

Holy 2 day shipping Batman! Glad I checked FedEx today and redirected to the local store.

WD and Atlas, you all rock.

EDIT: well 2 day didnt happen. FedEx just called and said it missed its flight (apparently my wife is not the only one who can miss a flight) She said it will make it tomorrow. No worries as it will sit for awhile.