3%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1619 Private Messages Cesare

Atlas Peak 2007 "Mountain Vineyards" Cabernet Sauvignon Double Magnum (Your Choice of One)
$199.99 (Normally $383.00) 48% off List Price
2007 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon 3L
2007 Atlas Peak Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon 3L
2007 Atlas Peak Spring Mountain District Cabernet Sauvignon 3L
2007 Atlas Peak Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon 3L
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Where am I going to store that for 15 years??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20

That's a big boy. If I were in charge of wine for my family's Xmas party and had a couple extra hundred bucks lying around I would be all over this.

CT

gmwhit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gmwhit

I could be wrong, but I think a double magnum is equivalent to 4 750ml bottles. When you open that puppy you'd better have company or be very, very thirsty.

weboddity

quality posts: 3 Private Messages weboddity

The only friend you need to drink this sexy maiden is mathematics.

3 liters = 3,000 ml
29.573 ml per oz
3,000 / 29.573 = ~101 oz
Average hours spent awake per day = 16
101 oz / 16 = ~6 oz

So awaken at 6 AM, nurse a 6 oz glass, and enjoy a 6 oz glass every hour on the hour through 9 PM. In bed by 10, not too shabby!

Average hours spent asleep the day after drinking in this manner: 36...

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
gmwhit wrote:I could be wrong, but I think a double magnum is equivalent to 4 750ml bottles. When you open that puppy you'd better have company or be very, very thirsty.

Your math is correct. If you're a home winemaker (or someone with bottling gear), you can rebottle a magnum or double leftovers into bottles...

Ailetoile

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ailetoile
weboddity wrote:The only friend you need to drink this sexy maiden is mathematics.

3 liters = 3,000 ml
29.573 ml per oz
3,000 / 29.573 = ~101 oz
101 oz / 16 = ~6 oz

So awaken at 6 AM, nurse a 6 oz glass, and enjoy a 6 oz glass every hour on the hour through 9 PM. In bed by 10, not too shabby!

Your logic here makes me so happy that I wish I had the spare $200 to try it out.

areaman714

quality posts: 3 Private Messages areaman714

If there was an option to buy four mini-magnums I'd be awaiting my shipment . . .

fred2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fred2001
areaman714 wrote:If there was an option to buy four mini-magnums I'd be awaiting my shipment . . .

Woot. Off. Killer.

Seriously, though, would be tempted to do this if I didn't already buy 1) the Jana 3L Woot! Plus offering, and 2) the regular sized Atlas Peak offering the other day. I also have no justification for this size at all. Alas, will pass. Sigh.

mandoo500

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mandoo500
weboddity wrote:The only friend you need to drink this sexy maiden is mathematics.

3 liters = 3,000 ml
29.573 ml per oz
3,000 / 29.573 = ~101 oz
101 oz / 16 = ~6 oz

Quality.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

A great year, some really fine Cabernet. Anyone got a young daughters who might be getting married in 10-15 years? Or a silver/golden/diamond anniversary for a parent/self?

This is a wonderful, joyous (if not inexpensive in absolute terms) offering.

I can't say "autobuy", but I can (and do) certainly say "Buy if you possibly can!"

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

But, which one?

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

This is such an awesome offering.

alukan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alukan

Sounds like a great wine but seriously, as someone mentioned, where in the heck would I cellar this for 12-15 years considering the size of the bottles.

I'd almost have to find a small wine cooler just for this ... [sneaks onto Craigslist to just check mind you ]

killaaa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killaaa

Dear woot and friends,

I'm no expert, but I believe there may be a more correct technical term for the 3 liter bottle size. Wouldn't it be a Jeroboam? Double magnum is when I'm double fisting 1.5L vueve cliquot bottles at new years.

Just offering my humble insight, woot! Usually by 7 am someone has beat me to it!

Karlitos on the Outer Banks of NC

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

I know many of you are fans of Ty Caton that is often sold here on wine.woot. I thought I'd mention that his Cabernet is on WTSO for $19.99 a bottle and free shipping on 4+ bottles. You could get that AND this one and really have a wine tasting party.

Jen

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
jelliott04 wrote:I know many of you are fans of Ty Caton that is often sold here on wine.woot. I thought I'd mention that his Cabernet is on WTSO for $19.99 a bottle and free shipping on 4+ bottles. You could get that AND this one and really have a wine tasting party.

Jen

I fixed that for you.

woodman19_99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodman19_99

I'm a sucker for big bottles. Grabbed a Howell and Mount Veeder.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04
InFrom wrote:I fixed that for you.

I ALWAYS do that! It is like my fingers can't type Caton and MUST type the 'N'. Thanks...I fixed it in the original.

J

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

I'll pull the trigger on one.... But which one??? Decisions.... Decisions...Leaning toward Howell Mountain! Input anyone? Winery?

namron007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namron007

3 liters = 3,000 ml
29.573 ml per oz
3,000 / 29.573 = ~101 oz
101 oz / 16 = ~6 oz

You can’t be accused of drinking all day if you don’t start in the morning!

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
killaaa wrote:Dear woot and friends,

I'm no expert, but I believe there may be a more correct technical term for the 3 liter bottle size. Wouldn't it be a Jeroboam? Double magnum is when I'm double fisting 1.5L vueve cliquot bottles at new years.

It would depend on where the bottle came from. From the Wine Spectator: "The Bordelaise use this term for large-format bottles holding 4.5 liters, or the equivalent of six bottles. In Burgundy and Champagne, the Jeroboam is the same size as Bordeaux’s double magnum and holds 3 liters, or four bottles of wine."

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

The mountain veeder sounds right up my alley, but I just can't justify the price (even though for a quality double magnum, it's pretty fair). Insanely jealous of anyone who picks this up; if you do and live in the portland area, contact me in 5-15 years if you need some help drinking it...

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Pulled the trigger for one...Howell Mountain...

Speed to First Woot: 1h 40m 0.116s

First Sucker: dtradin

Last Wooter to Woot: bobrush12866

Last Purchase: a few seconds ago

I guess this is kind of a real treat since it is not even available on their website....Most likely just released!

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

I don't understand why everyone is wigging out about storage for 15 years. I'm sure these will be great in just a couple of years. The vintners voicemail said that any of these are even fine to open now. Have a big barbecue this summer, throw a carcass on the fire and pop the cork. It's that simple.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
funbunny wrote:I don't understand why everyone is wigging out about storage for 15 years. I'm sure these will be great in just a couple of years. The vintners voicemail said that any of these are even fine to open now. Have a big barbecue this summer, throw a carcass on the fire and pop the cork. It's that simple.

Wine in large bottles ages more slowly than in 750s.

The wines will drink now as very nice young Cabernet. Lovely, no doubt, but hardly the heights to which they are capable of aging.

You can get 3L of plenty of wine for less, because it has less potential. These wines will need the time to go through their adolescent sleep to mature into wines of great power, elegance and beauty.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20
funbunny wrote:I don't understand why everyone is wigging out about storage for 15 years. I'm sure these will be great in just a couple of years. The vintners voicemail said that any of these are even fine to open now. Have a big barbecue this summer, throw a carcass on the fire and pop the cork. It's that simple.

if you like big young cabs then yes they are fine to drink now. Not sure why anyone without a significant cellar would buy these to hold.

CT

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

It would be nice to hear feedback from those who dived in on this offer (as well as those who are on the fence) and have them report back on their choice of AVA and what was the rational for their decision. This could turn out to be a very educational Woot.
My go to choice would be Howell and Spring Mountain, but that is pure speculation on my part as I have never consumed single vineyard (though I am not sure that is what this is) wine from these AVA's. Though I have a few bottles of each AVA (2005's with one 2004 Howell Mt) in the cellar I have no plans to pop them soon. Also I don't know much of Atlas Peak Winery and their relation to each of these AVA's
Any input is greatly appreciated. RPM, care to help out a terminal newbie?
rk

mattkillpack29

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mattkillpack29

I would also like to purchase one, and just one (tear), but am not sure which to get. Any thoughts out there for which is the better of the four? Cheers

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Lets get some winery input to help push me over the edge

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

mattkillpack29 wrote:I would also like to purchase one, and just one (tear), but am not sure which to get. Any thoughts out there for which is the better of the four? Cheers

I am sure that is going to depend on what you like.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

soldierbot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soldierbot

I went in for the Howell Mountain. I could not find much on the 2007 vintage but here are a couple reviews of the previous years.

Atlas Peak 05 Howell Mountain

Review: Big, firm tannins mark this wine. They’re not clunky and hard, though, but refined and smooth, providing a rich structure to the massively concentrated blackberries, blueberries, cherries and sweet, smoky oak. Very fine and classic, and drinking well now, with decanting, and through the next 6–8 years. - S.H.
Rating: 95

Atlas Peak 06 Howell Mountain

Review: At more than five years of age, this Cabernet remains very tannic. That gives it an astringency that stings the palate, but still, the core of blackberries, cherries and sweet currants shines through. There’s a good possibility this wine will age well for a very long time. Try after 2015, when it will be nine years old. - S.H.
Rating: 93

bkarlan

I always forget to listen to the vintners voicemail. Just went back to listen to it and I went in on the the Spring Mountain.

Last Wooter to Woot:
bkarlan

mattkillpack29

bkarlan wrote:I am sure that is going to depend on what you like.

Thank you

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
rpm wrote:Wine in large bottles ages more slowly than in 750s.

The wines will drink now as very nice young Cabernet. Lovely, no doubt, but hardly the heights to which they are capable of aging.

You can get 3L of plenty of wine for less, because it has less potential. These wines will need the time to go through their adolescent sleep to mature into wines of great power, elegance and beauty.

I know about the wonders of wine aging, I like to stagger my wines over the years to see how they evolve. Many times the designated golden years are not always the best in my opinion. It just seems people stress out about it and don't seem to realize that it is not blasphemy to open a wine that hasn't reached that so called perfect age. If you treat it well and serve it with the appropriate food, many times you can get more out of a wine when it is younger. That is why the winemaker gives you a range of years for drinking it and it is not necessary to wait until the last year suggested.

I just feel people might try opening their minds and their taste buds to the fact that there are a lot of flavors and aromas you can miss out on waiting for a wine to hit the age someone else had designated to be perfect. If you really want this bottle, get it and enjoy it. It is still a good wine now, a few years from now or fifteen years from now. With a bottle this size, I have a feeling the event you are opening it at is going to be the spotlight more than the wine itself.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

bkarlan

mattkillpack29 wrote:Thank you

Sorry I am no help

mattkillpack29

bkarlan wrote:Sorry I am no help

No worries, I just listened to the voice mail as well. Going in for the Spring Mountain, I'll get back to you in 15 years. Cheers!

p2002

funbunny wrote:I know about the wonders of wine aging, I like to stagger my wines over the years to see how they evolve. Many times the designated golden years are not always the best in my opinion. It just seems people stress out about it and don't seem to realize that it is not blasphemy to open a wine that hasn't reached that so called perfect age. If you treat it well and serve it with the appropriate food, many times you can get more out of a wine when it is younger. That is why the winemaker gives you a range of years for drinking it and it is not necessary to wait until the last year suggested.

I just feel people might try opening their minds and their taste buds to the fact that there are a lot of flavors and aromas you can miss out on waiting for a wine to hit the age someone else had designated to be perfect. If you really want this bottle, get it and enjoy it. It is still a good wine now, a few years from now or fifteen years from now. With a bottle this size, I have a feeling the event you are opening it at is going to be the spotlight more than the wine itself.

+1 Very well said.

p2002

soldierbot wrote:I went in for the Howell Mountain. I could not find much on the 2007 vintage but here are a couple reviews of the previous years.

Atlas Peak 05 Howell Mountain

Review: Big, firm tannins mark this wine. They’re not clunky and hard, though, but refined and smooth, providing a rich structure to the massively concentrated blackberries, blueberries, cherries and sweet, smoky oak. Very fine and classic, and drinking well now, with decanting, and through the next 6–8 years. - S.H.
Rating: 95

Atlas Peak 06 Howell Mountain

Review: At more than five years of age, this Cabernet remains very tannic. That gives it an astringency that stings the palate, but still, the core of blackberries, cherries and sweet currants shines through. There’s a good possibility this wine will age well for a very long time. Try after 2015, when it will be nine years old. - S.H.
Rating: 93

Thank you for the input. Any idea of the publish date of the reviews?