2011 Woot Cellars Phat Goose Red Blend, Central Coast
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
12/3/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
Cesare wrote:Woot Cellars 2011 Phat Goose 5-Pack with 4 Wine.Woot Gift Bags
$59.99

now - is this any good? ;)

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

What? I got 2 sets of this wine a week ago and no gift bags. Spent the weekend looking for the right gift bags. Oh well my recipients will just have to live without the official Woot gift bags...

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Same price, but with 4 free gift bags. Score

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2011 Phat Goose

PnP

Color: Magenta, medium color concentration.
Nose: Sweet blueberry, blackberry and sweet spice; cardamon and star anise.
Palate: Ripe raspberry, cherry and plum. Some of the sweet spice from the nose carries to the finish. Very light tannin.

30 minutes in, the nose is similar but has gained intensity.

1 hour in, a floral aspect appeared in the nose. Rose or lavender.

I enjoyed this wine with Chinese food; spicy shrimp and broccoli, sweet and sour pork, fried shrimp and chicken chow mein. The ripeness of the wine paired very well with the spiciness of the shrimp. The acidity definitely cut through the fatty food, no problem. A great food wine!

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

I really enjoyed this wine. It's a nice, easy-drinking GSM. Click on the previous offer link in Cesare's post for lots of tasting notes, including my own.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of December 16th.

December
12/28: CT #?: Shuffle in from Buffalo...
TBD: NYC Tasting #21: A Tribute (interest thread)

January 2013
1/19: Austin #1
1/19: NorCal #14: Santa Clara Valley Wines
1/26 - 1/27: Buffalo/WNY #10: Ice Wine Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada)

February 2013
2/22: 2013 Dark & Delicious (Alameda, CA)
2/23 - 2/25: 2013 D&D Napa/Sonoma Weekend

Pending
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

volcom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages volcom

"Sorry, we can't ship the Woot Cellars Phat Goose (5) w/ Gift Bags offer to that state."

- Massachusetts

Did something change? On the http://woot.wikia.com/wiki/Wine.woot wiki it says shipping is allowed to this state. Is this because it is close to the holidays it automatically rejects my request??

Johnny

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

volcom wrote:"Sorry, we can't ship the Woot Cellars Phat Goose (5) w/ Gift Bags offer to that state."

- Massachusetts

Did something change? On the http://woot.wikia.com/wiki/Wine.woot wiki it says shipping is allowed to this state. Is this because it is close to the holidays it automatically rejects my request??

The wineries ship the product sold on wine.woot. To ship into a state, each winery must have a license within each state. Most can't ship into MA. Here's more information explaining why.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii

I, for one, am a little disappointed to see this show up a week after the initial sale with additional gift bags thrown in...

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

I'm guessing that the sales were not as robust as hoped for, so the deal was sweetened. I'm partly to blame for that. I usually max out on the woot holiday label wines and gift them all over, but this year's offering was not up to the previous high bar. The wine has always been pretty good and is probably good this time. The label ... not ...
(sorry woot - gotta be honest)

Drayu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Drayu

I am usually a go on Woot Xmas time offerings because the labels are fun and make a fun gift. EHP, Blitzen, Twas, all good labels....but Phat Goose? Not something I want to give out

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

I just had one on Saturday evening and here's hoping it improves with time. It tasted really young with next to zero finish. I will have no problem letting them rest in the cellar. I wouldn't gift these until next year for fear the recipient would open it too soon.

To be fair, the Twas is drinking awesome in my opinion, so maybe this has a chance down the road.

chipgreen

Drayu wrote:I am usually a go on Woot Xmas time offerings because the labels are fun and make a fun gift. EHP, Blitzen, Twas, all good labels....but Phat Goose? Not something I want to give out

What if they threw in a Swatch watch instead of the gift bags?

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
chipgreen wrote:What if they threw in a Swatch watch instead of the gift bags?

Or a Chevy Volt.

chipgreen

Lighter wrote:Or a Chevy Volt.

Phat Goose in a little Volt!

Perrin13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Perrin13

So when it says get it by XMAS, anyone know the actual estimated arrive-by date?

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
Perrin13 wrote:So when it says get it by XMAS, anyone know the actual estimated arrive-by date?

xmas eve. most likely.........

CT

sirabbott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirabbott

Is there anyway to postpone the shipment of the wine if we might not be home during the time that it is supposed to arrive?

heidenseek87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heidenseek87

Will the 5$ all you can ship deal not apply to my wine.woot! purchase if I upgraded to 2-day shipping on my Woot! order?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
sirabbott wrote:Is there anyway to postpone the shipment of the wine if we might not be home during the time that it is supposed to arrive?

No.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
sirabbott wrote:Is there anyway to postpone the shipment of the wine if we might not be home during the time that it is supposed to arrive?

How long will you be gone? The only real option is to redirect it to your nearest fed ex store, but they will only hold it for you for 5 days.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
North316 wrote:How long will you be gone? The only real option is to redirect it to your nearest fed ex store, but they will only hold it for you for 5 days.

After the third failed delivery attempt you have some days to give them instructions what to do - in my case it was only 2 days before, until then you can still request the redirect, which can give you up to 3 (first three delivery attempts) + 2 (how long they wait before sending it back) + 5 days (hold in local FedEx store) = 10 days in total.

burrnini

quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini
North316 wrote:How long will you be gone? The only real option is to redirect it to your nearest fed ex store, but they will only hold it for you for 5 days.

Although if you ask nicely they might hold it longer.

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

So I am hoping someone on staff will see this. I bought this last time around and had to run out and of course missed the delivery of my Phat Goose. I thought they made 3 attempts, but apparently only one. Anyhow, I was wondering what the protocol is, as I still want the wine. If they are going to refund me, I would like to re-buy it now, as I get all of the holiday offerings. (I agree, the Twas is drinking very well right now, and the Blitzen is better this year too).

Anyone who can help me? I have sent out two requests to support. The first was confirmed they received, but no answer, the second has yet to be received. Would really like to know soon, before this offering is gone.....

Thanks,

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
lacotomo wrote:So I am hoping someone on staff will see this. I bought this last time around and had to run out and of course missed the delivery of my Phat Goose. I thought they made 3 attempts, but apparently only one. Anyhow, I was wondering what the protocol is, as I still want the wine. If they are going to refund me, I would like to re-buy it now, as I get all of the holiday offerings. (I agree, the Twas is drinking very well right now, and the Blitzen is better this year too).

Anyone who can help me? I have sent out two requests to support. The first was confirmed they received, but no answer, the second has yet to be received. Would really like to know soon, before this offering is gone.....

Thanks,

FedEx is definitely supposed to attempt delivery 3 times.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
lacotomo wrote:So I am hoping someone on staff will see this. I bought this last time around and had to run out and of course missed the delivery of my Phat Goose. I thought they made 3 attempts, but apparently only one. Anyhow, I was wondering what the protocol is, as I still want the wine. If they are going to refund me, I would like to re-buy it now, as I get all of the holiday offerings. (I agree, the Twas is drinking very well right now, and the Blitzen is better this year too).

Thanks,

Call FedEx and give them the info for the delivery, and tell them that a second and third delivery attempt was not made and that it's been 2-3 days since the initial attempt. They'll either schedule a new delivery or you can have them deliver to a local FedEx/kinkos and you can pick it up,

ownster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ownster

Looking forward to this! I do love my Woot! labels. Finished our last monkey wine recently.

brotherdoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brotherdoc

awrite, ordered. any idea when it w/ship? be nice to see it before the Phat guy comes down the chimney.