ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Over the past year, there has been talk about having a Norcal, southbay gathering. I am proposing gathering in the Morgan Hill area to do a group tour. There are lots of promising wineries in this area, making fantastic wines at a price that Napa cannot compete with.

A proposed date of 01/19 has been selected since it's the third weekend of the month, which a few wineries in this area are only open on. If a majority decides on a different date, then we'll go with that. Please comment on if you'll be available on the chosen date and which wineries you have a preference on visiting.

Possible Stops:

Sycamore Creek Vineyards
Aver Family Vineyards
Solis Winery
Creekview Vineyards

Woot Wineries:

Clos LaChance Winery
Jason-Stephens Winery

DATE: 01/19/13
TIME: 10am - Whenever

PLEASE RSVP and I'll update this post.

In:
AjRod27
bsevern
trifecta
trifecta +1

Maybe:
CAGrl
CAGrl +1
cmaldoon

Regrets:

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
ajrod27 wrote:Over the past year, there has been talk about having a Norcal, southbay gathering. I am proposing gathering in the Morgan Hill area to do a group tour. There are lots of promising wineries in this area, making fantastic wines at a price that Napa cannot compete with.

A proposed date of 01/19 has been selected since it's the third weekend of the month, which a few wineries in this area are only open on. If a majority decides on a different date, then we'll go with that. Please comment on if you'll be available on the chosen date and which wineries you have a preference on visiting.

Possible Stops:

Sycamore Creek Vineyards
Aver Family Vineyards
Solis Winery
Creekview Vineyards

Woot Wineries:

Clos LaChance Winery
Jason-Stephens Winery

DATE: 01/19/13
TIME: 10am - Whenever

PLEASE RSVP and I'll update this post.

In:

Maybe:

Regrets:

My old stomping grounds!!! I grew up in MH. Put us down as a maybe for now.

ajrod27

CAGrl wrote:My old stomping grounds!!! I grew up in MH. Put us down as a maybe for now.

Awesome! Do you know of any wineries I should add to the list? I've been doing lots of tastings in this area since it's nearby, definitely impressed with the quality of juice coming out of this region.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Sounds like it would be a great trip, please count me in!

Cigars?????

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I'll be watching this thread. Leaving plans open for a snow trip and possible work on weekends but I'm a definite maybe.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

ajrod27

bsevern wrote:Sounds like it would be a great trip, please count me in!

Cigars?????

Sycamore Creek Vineyards has an outdoor seating area welcome to cigars! If we made Sycamore the last winery stop, cigars would be a great way to end the tour; that is, if weather permits.

weboddity

quality posts: 3 Private Messages weboddity

San Jose here, but can't make it as I'll be visiting family out of town. I really hope you enjoy it, though.

I wanted to drop a tip. I must disclaim that I've never had the wine there, but there is a place called Kirigin Cellars that someone recommended I visit because they like their wine. The reasons I bring them up in spite of never having been there are because they:
1) Are directly across the street from Jason-Stephens on the list of possible stops.
2) Have discounts that are borderline inane.

They're all $20 regardless of type (except a reserve wine I noticed for $40).

So check this out: 6 bottles, take 30% off. 12 bottles, take 50% off. Buying 3 or more cases? Flat fee of $100 per case.

I not so good at teh math but I try do it fer u...

If you found a wine you like, you could get 4 bottles to take home for $80 -- but you could drop 4 more dollars for 2 more bottles for a total of 6 bottles @ $84. $14 / bottle.

Now let's say you're really liking a wine. Let's assume for a moment that it's 30% off of the first 6 bottles (equaling $84) and normal price for the next bottle. That puts you at $104 for 7 bottles. For 16 dollars more you could buy an entire case (5 more bottles) at their half-off end price of $120. $10 / bottle.

3 cases ends up being $8.33 per bottle. If that wine is anything above "every day drinker" status, I'm all over that when I get a chance to visit.

Even if nobody has desire, time, whatever to take detailed notes -- if someone could just tell me what they think of their QPR when they go, I know I won't get a chance to go before you guys take your trip.

Happy tasting!

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Bump. Is this still happening? No playoff games on the 19th... So I think there is a good chance we can make it.

My vote would also be to skip Clos la Chance. My impression was that they focus more on their fancy grounds and tasting room than the wine.

ajrod27

trifecta wrote:Bump. Is this still happening? No playoff games on the 19th... So I think there is a good chance we can make it.

My vote would also be to skip Clos la Chance. My impression was that they focus more on their fancy grounds and tasting room than the wine.

I'm still up for it even if it is a small party. I agree with you on Clos LaChance, sometimes they have good deals but I've not been impressed with them the last couple times I've stopped by.

CAGrl wrote:My old stomping grounds!!! I grew up in MH. Put us down as a maybe for now.

Can I upgrade you to the 'In:' category? You gotta show us around your old stomping grounds

cmaldoon wrote:I'll be watching this thread. Leaving plans open for a snow trip and possible work on weekends but I'm a definite maybe.

Are you and brightgreen going to make it?

CAGrl

I'm not sure yet. With the 49ers game this weekend and I'm feeling a wee bit under the weather.

trifecta

CAGrl wrote:I'm not sure yet. With the 49ers game this weekend and I'm feeling a wee bit under the weather.

I wouldn't worry about the niners making it past this weekend This tasting trip will be the day before the Seahawks play in green bay.

CAGrl

trifecta wrote:I wouldn't worry about the niners making it past this weekend This tasting trip will be the day before the Seahawks play in green bay.

Ha! That's not even what I was referring to. We're going to the game this Saturday and being sick and it being candlestick I'm worried that I'm going to get worse. Priorities though. And I just remembered I have plans that Saturday. Had to reschedule something from this Saturday to next Saturday because I'd the game.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I'm not sure if I'll be able to go on the 19th or not....sigh.

trifecta

Should we postpone this? With CAgirl out, and possibly no bsevern, we could just push it out until more folks can make it.

I am thinking we might switch our plans for this weekend as well based on the low turnout. Might head to Healdsburg or Paso instead.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
trifecta wrote:Should we postpone this? With CAgirl out, and possibly no bsevern, we could just push it out until more folks can make it.

I am thinking we might switch our plans for this weekend as well based on the low turnout. Might head to Healdsburg or Paso instead.

Go for it. I just got preliminary confirmation that ill be doing a snow trip for a week starting Friday so I'm out too. Perhaps late February after this football madness is over

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Anyone interested in wine tasting in the South Bay on Jan 19 should definitely consider the passport program. Lots of wineries that aren't usually open to the public open their doors.
http://www.scmwa.com/wsdevent/eventview/action/view/frmArticleID/19/

trifecta wrote:My vote would also be to skip Clos la Chance. My impression was that they focus more on their fancy grounds and tasting room than the wine.

I joined their wine club in the early 90's when they were just starting out. I have long since cancelled it as they are WAY too full of themselves.

ajrod27

trifecta wrote:Should we postpone this? With CAgirl out, and possibly no bsevern, we could just push it out until more folks can make it.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

This trip is postponed until further notice.