2007 McClean Vineyards Private Reserve Estate Syrah, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
8/24/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

THE [PICTURE IS HUUUUUUGE!

that was fun while it lasted!

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

The picture on the front page, before "continue reading" is badly formatted, along with what looks like some bad HTML. Might want to fix that. ;-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

pilotwillie

quality posts: 18 Private Messages pilotwillie
bpr2 wrote:THE [PICTURE IS HUUUUUUGE!

Figures I get here 6 minutes past the hour and decide to post something and have already been beaten to it! :-P

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

It's the large print edition for our sight impaired wooters.

BTW, this will arrive in time for Christmas. The icon seems to have gotten lost in the photo problem.

EDIT: Yay! The tag!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20

you guys bring these things back long before I need any more. So I pass.......again.

CT

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
cortot20 wrote:you guys bring these things back long before I need any more. So I pass.......again.

never too soon to start hoarding.

that was fun while it lasted!

cortot20

bpr2 wrote:never too soon to start hoarding.

True. But then I might be found dead, buried under the weight of a fallen tower of wine woot boxes and broadcast to the world on the show hoarders.

I would prefer to follow the more sane approach of setting a storage limit, filling it and then buying for replacement of consumed bottles. At this moment I am over capacity. So no more buying until we make some room.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

WOO HOO!!!

Last wooter to woot:cmaldoon
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

This is some seriously good stuff. It is Syrah in a mid range. Not dark or oaky or grapey. I fould it meaty and full of brighter fruits and it has a racy acidity. The owners are returning to being just growers I think and are therefore clearing out their stock. This is great stuff that can be consumed now or held for 5+ years (the 2003 is fantastic).

I'm in for mine, now you should get yours.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I believe we tasted the 2006 version of this at the Hallowoot tasting. Which doesn't sound like a good comparison by the wineries description of the wine, "The wine has defined red fruit on the palate, but it's much more lush and less oxidative than with the 2006."

If it's anything like the 2006, I like it! The 06 had blackberry, olive and sweet earth on the nose; big plum palate with some floral on the finish.

Edit: I see that the 2006 was co-fermented with 15% viognier, which would explain the floral notes on the finish. Is the 2007 similar, co-fermented with viognier?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
bpr2 wrote:never too soon to start hoarding.

I have a storage problem myself and overstocked but I never had this before and depending on today's posts, I may have to pull the trigger anyway. So please, you that are familiar with this please post your opinions. Wife and I can always just down a few bottles between now and delivery. LOL Or, we could even gift out a few of what we already have.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin

Got the mixed 3-pac + Viognier from the earlier plus deal, for $21.25/btl, and that Syrah/Viognier blend that's been tasty for everyday sips. This carry on from the Estate Syrah at only $12.50/btl seems like an absolute no-brainer to grab.

Curious on the higher pH here, if this will hold up as well as those earlier ones have; hoping for Sunday comments as well.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
charliecarroll wrote:I have a storage problem myself and overstocked but I never had this before and depending on today's posts, I may have to pull the trigger anyway. So please, you that are familiar with this please post your opinions. Wife and I can always just down a few bottles between now and delivery. LOL Or, we could even gift out a few of what we already have.

Check out the "Winery" tab on the offer page.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Had this wine at a tasting I hosted last month. I believe it was my favorite of the night. The nose was cherry/rasberry, tart, peppery, and cedar. Palate revealed more cherry/rasbberry, with a minerality noted as well. Tannins and alcohol were nicely integrated. Medium to full body, with a medium finish. I liked it, and think, for this price, it's an excellent deal.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cortot20

This has been a significant price drop since the last time it was offered.
1st offer sound $25 a bottle
2nd offer around $17 a bottle
This offer $13 a bottle.

Hard to resist considering how much I enjoyed the 03'.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:

This is some seriously good stuff. /snip/ This is great stuff that can be consumed now or held for 5+ years (the 2003 is fantastic).

Yup. I was a fan at the original SRP of ~$30. This is a steal of a price. Q-P-R.

And I have one bottle of the '03 left!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

The PH seems pretty high (3.78) and the description says drink without food and there is some talk about good acidity?? What am I missing here...interested tho

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

Here are some community notes from CT if anyone was too lazy to click Cesares link

cmaldoon on 9/14/2012 & rated 93 points: Very interesting syrah. Tasted 45 min after opening, run through a Vinturi.

Color: deep purplish red but not quite opaque. Good clarity

Nose: Substantial. There is a striking coffee/mocha note that comes to the forefront. This is backed by some mid red fruits and fig. There are nuances of black pepper, green olive and asparagus.

Palate: weighty but with good acidity. There is a big meaty character to this wine, like biting in to a very rare steak. There is great acidity. Flavors... Core of meat layered with tangy green olive and cherry. The finish is quite toasty but not unpleasant. It lasts.

Medium to full body, scant tannin

Overall impression: FAR from a standard grapey syrah. This is pretty fantastic with many facets. One of the best syrahs I have ever had.
CT

cmaldoon

tytiger58 wrote:The PH seems pretty high (3.78) and the description says drink without food and there is some talk about good acidity?? What am I missing here...interested tho

I know... This wine did not taste dark and brooding and weighty to me like many syrahs. It was very meaty, and had tones in the mid fruits. It had great concentration too. I may have overspoken when I termed it "racy" but i did so because in comparison to many California and especially paso syrahs, this one remains light on its feet and begs for another taste.

I thoroughly enjoyed it at $25/ bottle. At $13, this is outrageous

My Cellar

cmaldoon

cortot20 wrote:Here are some community notes from CT if anyone was too lazy to click Cesares link

There you go, don't take my opinion. Take.... My opinion. ;-P

My Cellar

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:I know... This wine did not taste dark and brooding and weighty to me like many syrahs. It was very meaty, and had tones in the mid fruits. It had great concentration too. I may have overspoken when I termed it "racy" but i did so because in comparison to many California and especially paso syrahs, this one remains light on its feet and begs for another taste.

Good to know thanks! I might give them a try...sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story, some of my favorite Zins have hight PH but the spiciness more than makes up for it.

tytiger58

cmaldoon wrote:There you go, don't take my opinion. Take.... My opinion. ;-P

LOL not sure which opinion I like better

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
cmaldoon wrote:I know... This wine did not taste dark and brooding and weighty to me like many syrahs. It was very meaty, and had tones in the mid fruits. It had great concentration too. I may have overspoken when I termed it "racy" but i did so because in comparison to many California and especially paso syrahs, this one remains light on its feet and begs for another taste.

Just opened a bottle of this from the previous offer. cmaldoon is right on target. There is no risk in buying this. It is delicious and will probably only get better with age, even though it is drinkable now.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

How would those that have tried both compare this to the Tallulah Syrah?(The Napa(Bald Mountain Ranch), not the one from Oregon).

I quite enjoyed that one.

Also, which would you recommend vs. the R Merlo one available at a similar price-point on Woot Plus?

Is it broke or just fractured?

kellymcclean

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kellymcclean

Attempting this again for the 2nd time. Perhaps that's what I get for finally turning into one of those obnoxious people who are at breakfast (yes, at 12:00 in the afternoon. What?) and are on their cell phones.

Well here we go again wooters! Another amazing offer from yours truly. Just wanted to answer some of your questions.

Negative. This is not mixed with any Viognier. Straight fantastic Syrah.

The rumors are true. We are staidly ceaseing production for the time being. Going to focus on getting the vineyard back to where it use to be so we can continue to hold up to our high standards of wine. Need to replant a few sections (thank your frost and some distress...sigh) good wine comes from good vines.

That said this will be the last year produced so as the saying goes "get it while its hot"

...now back to biscuits and gravy...mmmm gravy

cmaldoon

Thunder, Inky, Neil, or WD....

How do I double my order? I hadn't realized when I made my initial one that I rated this equal to Wellington victory and now I feel a physical need to get a case. I put int to service.woot but they won't likely get to it until Monday morning which will be too late.

My Cellar

cmaldoon

rlmanzo wrote:How would those that have tried both compare this to the Tallulah Syrah?(The Napa(Bald Mountain Ranch), not the one from Oregon).

I quite enjoyed that one.

Also, which would you recommend vs. the R Merlo one available at a similar price-point on Woot Plus?

This is very different from the talluah that one is dark and grapey and fruit driven. This one is full of meat and mocha. I like both but for very different reasons and if I am forced to a preference, THIS ONE.

My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cmaldoon wrote:Thunder, Inky, Neil, or WD....

How do I double my order? I hadn't realized when I made my initial one that I rated this equal to Wellington victory and now I feel a physical need to get a case. I put int to service.woot but they won't likely get to it until Monday morning which will be too late.

Just place another order... They won't edit your current order, and you will get two separate boxes, but that's what they get for not letting CS change orders anymore.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kellymcclean

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kellymcclean

Sent an email to Neil for you. Hopefully it helps!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

I'll shoot Woot Member Services a message to see if they can double your order. I'll hit you back here if I hear anything back.

Thanks for the post! :D

Sincerely,
Forum Moderator

cmaldoon

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ill wait another hour or two to see if the order can be doubled and if not then ill just put it in again as north suggested. Hopefully I can save folks from having to send 2 seperate packages

Edit: oh look: another!
Last wooter to woot:cmaldoon
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

My Cellar

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

In on this + r merlo syrah....my cc is hurting and I am in complete denial....I'll tell my wife not to get me a X mas gift I suppose. These look too good to pass though

"The older I get the better I was"

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:Had this wine at a tasting I hosted last month. I believe it was my favorite of the night. The nose was cherry/rasberry, tart, peppery, and cedar. Palate revealed more cherry/rasbberry, with a minerality noted as well. Tannins and alcohol were nicely integrated. Medium to full body, with a medium finish. I liked it, and think, for this price, it's an excellent deal.

I just looked back at my notes from that evening, and thought it was a good buy at what I expected it to sell for. But it's going for a good amount less than I had expected, and unfortunately my cellar is poorly stocked with Syrahs (bonus points to anyone who gets the James Bond reference there), hence:

Speed to First Woot: 1m 28.224s
First Sucker:epbakis
Last Wooter to Woot:coynedj
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:I just looked back at my notes from that evening, and thought it was a good buy at what I expected it to sell for. But it's going for a good amount less than I had expected, and unfortunately my cellar is poorly stocked with Syrahs (bonus points to anyone who gets the James Bond reference there), hence:

Speed to First Woot: 1m 28.224s
First Sucker:epbakis
Last Wooter to Woot:coynedj
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

Might have to "charge" you a bottle for picking this up.

edit: I mean, I'm not sure what happened to that sixth bottle.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:Might have to "charge" you a bottle for picking this up.

edit: I mean, I'm not sure what happened to that sixth bottle.

I don't know what happened to it either.... It just seemed to disappear.... Oh well, five is still good.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

hmmm neither this, nor any of the Woot Plus reds is selling out... did we have an overload on great reds lately? Or are they not as good as a deal as I hoped?

cortot20

andreaserben wrote:hmmm neither this, nor any of the Woot Plus reds is selling out... did we have an overload on great reds lately? Or are they not as good as a deal as I hoped?

Overload. She can't take much more captain!

CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

... must ... resist ... (which of the Woot Plus would you prefer over this though?)

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
andreaserben wrote:... must ... resist ... (which of the Woot Plus would you prefer over this though?)

R. Merlo. Although I bought this, I really like both merlo syrah vintages