2006 Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
11/17/10

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

This stuff looks good.

I am always intrigued by Horizontals like this, 3 different hillside Ava's from the same year with similar specs. Probably great for ferreting out terroir.

Curious though... No atlas peak cab from atlas peak!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Dammit, could not help myself!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

A two pack of the 04's sold here about 2-3 years ago for about $10 less a bottle and it was one of the quickest sellouts I have ever seen on WW. Something tells me these will take a little longer to move. I still have the 04's and haven't opened any yet. I visited the tasting room since then and found the 04's to be very tannic with plenty of fruit. Big chewy cabs.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

nutcrackerin' offer, WD! I'm not buying, but I love mountain fruit. Awesome horizontal from three great fruit sources.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

I'm definitely a fan of Howell Mountain and Mt. Veeder fruit after visiting Robert Craig on the rpm tour.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
kylemittskus wrote:nutcrackerin' offer, WD! I'm not buying, but I love mountain fruit. Awesome horizontal from three great fruit sources.

why thank you. happy to land this one for sure. Great gift.

edit: Winedavid under winefarm's i.d.

Deucer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Deucer

This is really good stuff. I have some in my cellar trying to stay away from for a couple more years. It's drinking really good now though.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

When the 2004 was offered, I wrote this November 17, 2010 6:07 am:

In addition to tasting one of these on the 2010 Tour, my daughter, WD, and I tasted 4 or 5 Atlas Peak 2004's in the Spring of 2009 with Jim Connell - the senior Ascentia guy who did such a fabulous job for the Tourists on the 2010 Tour. None were ready, but all of them were worthy. Wines to put beside your Corison Cabs to pull out for special occasions, special meals and/or special friends.

This is serious Cabernet, folks. Time to dust off the credit card or the PayPal link and break the SIWBM. These wines were fair value at their retail prices and a screaming value at this price point.

Now, I think these wines are still pretty much in their dumb period, being 6 years old, and so I'd recommend buying the maximum half-case, as I just did, and forgetting about it in a cool dark place for at least a couple of years.

I'm very glad WD has been able to obtain these wines. Why can he get them? I'd be willing to bet it's a pure 'time to pare the inventory down to what we want in the library' play. Speaking of WD, what's with me not getting bottles for current tasting to give everyone a report?

To give you an idea how highly I think of these wines, I would probably include Atlas Peak on an 'advanced' version of the RPM 2011 or 2012 Magical History Tour which concentrated on the development, care and feeding of serious Cabernet from Napa and Sonoma.

Well, we wanted to include Atlas Peak on the 2012 Magical History Tour, but it didn't work out, as these things sometimes don't.

I have not had the 2006's, but they're the same relative age and I would make the same recommendation on these wines. It's not inexpensive, but fine Cabernet never is.

Note these are current offerings on their website. Buy some of this now, and buy case(s) of the 2007s when they're released.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Couldn't resist...FUTILE...In for one set!

First Sucker:
tytiger58

Last Wooter to Woot:
bobrush12866

jared465

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jared465

Very interested in this. We were first introduced to Atlas Peak when they were a sister winery of Buena Vista. Great classic California cabs. We are sitting on a '04 Spring Mountain currently - I am sure it will be good.I checked my records and we have drank the 04 Veeder, and a few vintages of the Napa Valley. I am not sure the year. I don't have specific notes, but remember being impressed. I am pretty sure we drank a Howell Mountain also, but can't find it in my notes.

This is one of those cases that this is a good deal, but still a lot of money, so i am going to think about it.

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

In for 1. Yum!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

wow, nice work WD!! In for 2!!!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

rckwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckwoot

Wallet is saved again as there is no shipping to CT.

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr
rckwoot wrote:Wallet is saved again as there is no shipping to CT.

+1

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew

In for one set - probably going to be disappointed I didn't get 2.

Have enough (3) of the ardente on the plus site, but pondering the arbios.

kylemittskus

I'm having a very hard time resisting this offer.

jhkey

kylemittskus wrote:I'm having a very hard time resisting this offer.

resistance is futile...

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

You'll be sorry!

tytiger58

Somehow I new you would

When I got to the yellow button on the buy page I told myself NO WAY do I need more wine....then my finger pushed the button, it wasn't me..I swear..

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tytiger58 wrote:Somehow I new you would

When I got to the yellow button on the buy page I told myself NO WAY do I need more wine....then my finger pushed the button, it wasn't me..I swear..

Uh huh. You mean it was the new Family Circus ghost, "Wasn't Me"?

(Joins Ida Know, Not Me, and Nobody)

It'll probably be Not Me pushing the button for 2 sets!

Edit:

Atlas Peak Cabernet (3) with Gift Box
Speed to first woot: 6m 45.110s
First sucker: tytiger58
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase: a minute ago

Stats jumped from 9% to 11%

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tytiger58

MarkDaSpark wrote:Uh huh. You mean it was the new Family Circus ghost, "Wasn't Me"?

(Joins Ida Know, Not Me, and Nobody)

It'll probably be Not Me pushing the button for 2 sets!

Edit:

Atlas Peak Cabernet (3) with Gift Box
Speed to first woot: 6m 45.110s
First sucker: tytiger58
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase: a minute ago

Stats jumped from 9% to 11%

ROFL

atlaspeak1

quality posts: 6 Private Messages atlaspeak1

Morning!
Tanya here from Atlas Peak wines. Let me know if you have any questions on the Atlas Peak wines. This 2006 Mountain series is a great deal- a stellar year in Napa for Cabs at a crazy-good price. Tried each wine last week. These are coming along quite nicely! I'm always partial to the Howell Mountain district myself--deep, dark fruit with layered minerality and and rich earthiness that can only be found on Howell. Spring showed more upfront elegance and finesse, but does have a back-bone. It will cellar well. The MV was richer in fruit (brambly, deep) and the tannins a bit more refined. Also a good candidate for laying down. Enough gushing, just buy the set. They're solid wines.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

I am too. But price is helping to keep me on the sidelines.
The fact that I got a similar deal a couple years back with two bottles for $60 isn't helping.

CT

atlaspeak1

jared465 wrote:Very interested in this. We were first introduced to Atlas Peak when they were a sister winery of Buena Vista. Great classic California cabs. We are sitting on a '04 Spring Mountain currently - I am sure it will be good.I checked my records and we have drank the 04 Veeder, and a few vintages of the Napa Valley. I am not sure the year. I don't have specific notes, but remember being impressed. I am pretty sure we drank a Howell Mountain also, but can't find it in my notes.

This is one of those cases that this is a good deal, but still a lot of money, so i am going to think about it.

If you liked the 04, you will like the 06. The growing conditions were similiar.. cooler weather=longer hang-time=deeper flavors, more complexity.Great balance between tannin maturity and ripeness on all the wines.

atlaspeak1

cmaldoon wrote:This stuff looks good.

I am always intrigued by Horizontals like this, 3 different hillside Ava's from the same year with similar specs. Probably great for ferreting out terroir.

Curious though... No atlas peak cab from atlas peak!

It's sold out in 750's! This is the last of the 06's in 750's for Howell, Spring and MV now too.

michaelstencel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaelstencel

Ohio listed, but not allowed upon ordering

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Cab ???? someone say Cab ????
OK happy Birthday to me,,,, In for one.

Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

Last Purchase:
a few seconds ago

deagle50ae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deagle50ae

Looking to buy this as a gift for my mother. She doesn't normally go after expensive wines but I think she's enjoy having some good stuff tucked away for special occasions.
I know she really enjoys Cab Sav's from Liberty School, McManis as well as Woop Woop shiraz.

Would this be a good buy for her?

kylemittskus

atlaspeak1 wrote:If you liked the 04, you will like the 06. The growing conditions were similiar.. cooler weather=longer hang-time=deeper flavors, more complexity.Great balance between tannin maturity and ripeness on all the wines.

Please stop talking. I really can't buy, but damnit, I really want to! I LOVE mountain CS.

jhkey

deagle50ae wrote:Looking to buy this as a gift for my mother. She doesn't normally go after expensive wines but I think she's enjoy having some good stuff tucked away for special occasions.
I know she really enjoys Cab Sav's from Liberty School, McManis as well as Woop Woop shiraz.

This wine is in a completely different category than the wines you listed. I'm sure she would enjoy it, but there may be some other deals that would provide a better "stepping stone" for her. Meaning that instead of going straight from a civic to a benz, she may just at much enjoy driving an acura for a while first...

- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
michaelstencel wrote:Ohio listed, but not allowed upon ordering

Yes, how come no Ohio? Is that a hold up from yesterday? Ohio is on the ship to list. Can you fix or verify?

deagle50ae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deagle50ae
jhkey wrote:This wine is in a completely different category than the wines you listed. I'm sure she would enjoy it, but there may be some other deals that would provide a better "stepping stone" for her. Meaning that instead of going straight from a civic to a benz, she may just at much enjoy driving an acura for a while first...

Thanks for the reply!

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
deagle50ae wrote:Looking to buy this as a gift for my mother. She doesn't normally go after expensive wines but I think she's enjoy having some good stuff tucked away for special occasions.

You are an AWSOME son or daughter!!!!!!

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

Damm you all to hell! X
j/k

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

All three mountain ava's are great, but Spring Mountain is one of my favs. 2006 may end up being a sleeper year, I'm tasting more and more 2006's that're on par, or better with good 05 & 07's.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

It's tempting but I think my wife would shoot me. Not kill me but do enough damage and still allow me to cook for her every night....we are getting my son a dog for Christmas which kills a present to myself.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
SneezyKevinA wrote:It's tempting but I think my wife would shoot me. Not kill me but do enough damage and still allow me to cook for her every night....we are getting my son a dog for Christmas which kills a present to myself.

You may need some delicious wine ro calm the puppy, I mean, calm yourself while the puppy cries the first few nites!

atlaspeak1

fredrinaldi wrote:Cab ???? someone say Cab ????
OK happy Birthday to me,,,, In for one.

Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

Last Purchase:
a few seconds ago

Great choice. Happy Birthday and enjoy the wines!