2006 St. Supéry Estate Élu, Napa Valley Red Wine Magnum 1.5L
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
5/31/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Wow, very nice.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Haven't seen any of these around for a while.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

chazzman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chazzman

I was always a fan of St. Supery's 'standard' label (not sure if it has a name). I just recently became aware of this Elu label red wine when I went out to dinner at a nice restaurant nearby. The bartender suggested it and offered us a taste. I thought it was quite lean and unremarkable. As much as I wanted to like it, I don't. Pass.

specvic

quality posts: 7 Private Messages specvic

Woot had an Elu 375 mL vertical offer (01-03? maybe 02-04?) a while back. Since then, I've been a St. Supery wine club member. White wine lovers should check out their Sauvignon Blanc or Moscato if you like the sweet stuff. Word is getting out I think, and some of their recently raised prices reflect that. If I didn't just get my December club shipment, I'd probably buy 2 of these bad boys. Granted its not their '02 or '04 Elu (religious experiences)... but its still very tasty. I think I'll have to grab one.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

Both the Newbie and Veteran rpm Magical History Tours visited St. Supery last Summer. We tasted a number of their wines, including (on the Veteran Tour) a 2003 Elu and a 2008 Elu. We did not taste the 2006 Elu.

I thought their Cabernets and Cabernet blends were very good wines. Especially in their higher end wines, there is serious attention to both the farming and winemaking by people who clearly know what they're doing and who have serious ideas about making fine wines.

If your budget has some room for this, I'd suggest trying it.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

How many glasses from a magnum, on average?

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
slm9951 wrote:How many glasses from a magnum, on average?

I'd guess about 10

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

amandamanfredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amandamanfredo

Magnum = 2 'normal' bottles. # of glasses depends on how generously you pour!

rpm

specvic wrote:Woot had an Elu 375 mL vertical offer (01-03? maybe 02-04?) a while back. Since then, I've been a St. Supery wine club member. White wine lovers should check out their Sauvignon Blanc or Moscato if you like the sweet stuff. Word is getting out I think, and some of their recently raised prices reflect that. If I didn't just get my December club shipment, I'd probably buy 2 of these bad boys. Granted its not their '02 or '04 Elu (religious experiences)... but its still very tasty. I think I'll have to grab one.

It was 01 - 03. I have had the 03, but not the 01 (not ready yet). I liked it very much; I would buy a mag of the 03 in a heartbeat at or near this price for more or less current drinking.

2006 was a funny year. Sandwiched between 2005 and 2007, it is less heralded and most comparable to 2003 in general quality in Napa. Some people did very well in 2006 (e.g. Peter W. in Sonoma) with high end cab blends.

I would suspect this wine (as a mag) is about to go to sleep. Which means you either drink it now as a 'young(ish) Cab' if you like that sort of thing, or you put it away for another 5+ years to drink it around 12+.

YMMV.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

2. The first and the last. 1 if you use a straw.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
amandamanfredo wrote:Magnum = 2 'normal' bottles. # of glasses depends on how generously you pour!

Yeah, I wish they had a two 'normal' bottle deal. It is just my wife and I and splitting a full Magnum between us is more wine than we usually take in at one setting. At least with smaller bottles you have the option to save one for later if you elect to not continue your glasses. I would really like to try this but will have to pass.

Some may say this would be good for when guest come over. Well, that is when I break out the cheap stuff to impress upon them to bring their own.

rpm

charliecarroll wrote:Yeah, I wish they had a two 'normal' bottle deal. It is just my wife and I and splitting a full Magnum between us is more wine than we usually take in at one setting. At least with smaller bottles you have the option to save one for later if you elect to not continue your glasses. I would really like to try this but will have to pass.

Some may say this would be good for when guest come over. Well, that is when I break out the cheap stuff to impress upon them to bring their own.

Have you no friends who also appreciate good wine? Who have had you to dinner and served something good? Or, do you have parents, siblings or children who know and appreciate good wine? This would be very nice for a family Christmas Dinner of roast goose, roast beef or leg of lamb.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

A typical restraunt glass is 5 oz. a 750 ml bottle is roughly 25 oz. so 10 glasses from a magnum. I typically get 4 glasses out of a 750 ml bottle at home. So I would say somewhere between 8-10 depending how heavy the hand is that's pouring.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

When I see a deal for st. Supery wines I typically grab them up. I need to think about this though.
If I'm taking a wine to Christmas dinner I typically would like the amount per glass to be a little less than this though. $10-13 a glass is a little high for me.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

We really enjoyed our visit at St. Supery on the wine.woot tour. Loved the nose on their Sauv Blanc. We didn't have this wine, but we really enjoyed all of their wines, and found them of excellent quality.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

alukan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alukan
rpm wrote:Have you no friends who also appreciate good wine? Who have had you to dinner and served something good? Or, do you have parents, siblings or children who know and appreciate good wine? This would be very nice for a family Christmas Dinner of roast goose, roast beef or leg of lamb.

That's what I'm doing ... buying some for future Holiday meal (likely a Thanksgiving in 6 years or so

Speed to first woot: 2m 43.118s
First sucker:marbleguy
Last wooter to woot:alukan
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
otolith wrote:We really enjoyed our visit at St. Supery on the wine.woot tour. Loved the nose on their Sauv Blanc. We didn't have this wine, but we really enjoyed all of their wines, and found them of excellent quality.

+1

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
chipgreen wrote:+1

A rare "no Ship" to Ohio. I very much like the St. Supery Elu. I also think their Cabernet, usually around mid $20's is a great value.

mbrengman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbrengman

No VA again...Where's the Fruitcake?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mbrengman wrote:No VA again...Where's the Fruitcake?

Click me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tomthall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomthall
cortot20 wrote:When I see a deal for st. Supery wines I typically grab them up. I need to think about this though.
If I'm taking a wine to Christmas dinner I typically would like the amount per glass to be a little less than this though. $10-13 a glass is a little high for me.

me too.