WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

True Fabrications Tabletop Decanter

Speed to First Woot:
1m 18.119s
First Sucker:
madcran
Last Wooter to Woot:
gspoto
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 37% of Wine Woots
Top 48% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 10% of Wine Woots
Top 18% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 4% first woot
  • 5% second woot
  • 23% < 10 woots
  • 26% < 25 woots
  • 41% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 4% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 13% one year old
  • 80% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 80% bought 1
  • 15% bought 2
  • 5% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

6%
3%
1%
1%
1%
3%
4%
7%
9%
9%
8%
6%
4%
4%
4%
3%
5%
5%
3%
2%
4%
2%
3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare

True Fabrications Tabletop Decanter
$18.99 (Normally $29.99) 37% off List Price
(1) True Fabrications Tabletop Decanter
Dimensions: Height - 10.5", Diameter - 6"

Website

Previous offer:
12/2/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

amosdudley


quality posts: 1 Private Messages amosdudley

For a moment I thought it might be a Klein bottle. Oh well.

madcran


quality posts: 2 Private Messages madcran

Wow! I can't believe I'm the first sucker.

Me: "Honey, do you have a decanter?"
Wife: "No."
Me: Want one?"
Wife: "F*** Ya! The store wants $40 for one!"
Me: "Okay."

Then I ordered two. I think these seem like a deal for $20.

CowboyDann


quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
madcran wrote:Wow! I can't believe I'm the first sucker.

Me: "Honey, do you have a decanter?"
Wife: "No."
Me: Want one?"
Wife: "F*** Ya! The store wants $40 for one!"
Me: "Okay."

Then I ordered two. I think these seem like a deal for $20.



This is a deal and a half, I'm considering buying a second as there is a small chip in mine. The ergonomic hole in the bottom is fantastic and makes holding and pouring a breeze.

avatard


quality posts: 3 Private Messages avatard

I was hoping I could find my mother a gift not wine related this year. This made me cave.
In for 1.

mplarkin


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin
CowboyDann wrote: The ergonomic hole in the bottom is fantastic and makes holding and pouring a breeze.



Who doesn't love an ergonomic hole in the bottom? These should sell like hotcakes!



CowboyDann


quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
mplarkin wrote:Who doesn't love an ergonomic hole in the bottom? These should sell like hotcakes!



hehe that's exactly what I was thinking as i typed it :3

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mplarkin wrote:Who doesn't love an ergonomic hole in the bottom? These should sell like hotcakes!





FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mikegberg


quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

Reading my mind again, WD? My decanter had a terminal event when I was rearranging my cabinet yesterday.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

NedDawg


quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

Can anyone speak to how easy it is to clean this? BTW, has woot ever offered a decanter cleaning brush?

mplarkin


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin
ThunderThighs wrote:



I understand your point however, I'd say I took a quality post (Woot staff's designation, not mine) and enhanced the quality. Shouldn't there be some sort of award for that?

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
NedDawg wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to clean this? BTW, has woot ever offered a decanter cleaning brush?



Buy a $2 baby bottle brush at Target/Walmart/$0.99 store/etc.. But without a brush that fits in there, you can't clean it

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mplarkin


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin
mschauber wrote:Buy a $2 baby bottle brush at Target/Walmart/$0.99 store/etc.. But without a brush that fits in there, you can't clean it



I've had success cleaning difficult to reach locations in decanters with baking soda and ice (with a bit of water). Combine and swirl. Baking soda is a very mild abrasive, and also removes any residual odors.

I don't know that I would use this method with an expensive decanter, but for a sub-$20 decanter, this is what I'd do.

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

I can't even begin to imagine how thrilled WineFarm must be that decanters are back.

That said, for cleaning them a bottle brush works great, but also dishwasher detergent tends to be more aggressive than regular dish soap, so dissolving some in a decanter filled with hot water and letting it set often works wonders. And of course the occasional vinegar for water spots.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mplarkin wrote:I understand your point however, I'd say I took a quality post (Woot staff's designation, not mine) and enhanced the quality. Shouldn't there be some sort of award for that?



I shall ponder that until it's too late.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

winefarm


quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
andyduncan wrote:I can't even begin to imagine how thrilled WineFarm must be that decanters are back.



ya know they really do double for a lovely vase..

ascurlock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ascurlock
avatard wrote:I was hoping I could find my mother a gift not wine related this year. This made me cave.
In for 1.



I know exactly how you feel. You and I share the same boat.

Stupoopy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy

Anyone know where these are fabricated? I tried looking previously and didn't have much luck finding out.

lipophilia


quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

My first concern was how much it would hold; the woot pix sometimes make small items look larger - kind of like a backwards right-side rear view mirror.
Anyhow, the "50 oz" size converts to 1479 mL - just shy of 2 bottles of wine. In other words, it will hold a bottle and still allow some room for swirling. I've just solved a few wish list quandries.

taz3781


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taz3781

I bought mine, and have seen it elsewhere as well, for $10.

deckerbrian


quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I bought these last year. They are fine. Very thick glass. Top edge it not polished. Mine had small "chips" along the edge for lack of a better term. They got larger as time went on from handling. I liked the large punt on the bottom. I no longer use them and have gotten others.

As for cleaning, that's the easy part. It's the drying that sucks... I like to use a long wand on my air compressor and blow them out from the bottom. You can push most of the water drops out the top so they don't dry and leave deposits.

lipophilia


quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia
deckerbrian wrote:I bought these last year. They are fine. Very thick glass. Top edge it not polished. Mine had small "chips" along the edge for lack of a better term. They got larger as time went on from handling. I liked the large punt on the bottom. I no longer use them and have gotten others.

As for cleaning, that's the easy part. It's the drying that sucks... I like to use a long wand on my air compressor and blow them out from the bottom. You can push most of the water drops out the top so they don't dry and leave deposits.



Maybe I'm missing something ... Is there some reason that the dishwasher would not work? Yes - there would be leftover water in the punt, but that is easily solved with a towel after the cycle is done.

mkorona


quality posts: 9 Private Messages mkorona

Bought two of these last year, gave one as a gift and kept one. Can't speak for the gift but mine sees limited use- decanting requires forethought for it to be useful....

Overall quality is decent, there were no chips in either I ordered (checked both before giving it away), and cleaning has not been difficult for the half a dozen times I have used. Does leave some water spots if you just let it air dry, but when it is filled with wine you can't tell.

The size is decent, plenty of room for swirling/aeration with a full bottle in the decanter.

Even with limited use would definitely buy again at this price.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
lipophilia wrote:Maybe I'm missing something ... Is there some reason that the dishwasher would not work? Yes - there would be leftover water in the punt, but that is easily solved with a towel after the cycle is done.



It could be that hand-blown lead-free glass is more easily damaged in dishwashers. Also that there is a chance of soap residue that could linger inside, and thus affect the wine when decanted.

As long as you rinse right away after use, I haven't had any issues with cleaning.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I have purchase 6 of these in the past and they are GREAT for doing tastings. The small form factor keeps them from taking up the entire table. Because they are all very similar (not perfectly identical though) they are great for blind tastings.

I just gave away one as a gift so I may have to buy 2 to replace it.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I thought these were gone forever. WD only had about 12 million.

In for one for my parets. They're redoing their kitchen and adding a bar. This will go perfectly. Plus I had a JumboWoot coupon. $19 = easy buy.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
NedDawg wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to clean this? BTW, has woot ever offered a decanter cleaning brush?



I have been told to not use soap when cleaning; no matter how much you rinse, some soap will stick around.

I use, interestingly enough, uncooked rice and water, and swirl. The rice acts as a scourer, but won't damage the glass. This works so well I use it for my water bottles to get rid of any deposits on the bottom.

However, I did have one incident when rice didn't do the trick. I ended up having to invest in a decanter cleaner brush from BevMo; looks like a very long bottle brush. That did the trick.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
kylemittskus wrote:I thought these were gone forever. WD only had about 12 million.



I think WD learned his lesson; I believe that these are coming from Seattle, and WD doesn't have to carry any stock himself.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

meanjoeira


quality posts: 4 Private Messages meanjoeira

This is more of a carafe than a decanter. This might work well with older wines when you are decanting to rid sentiment, but for newer wines where you are trying to trick wines into aging by increasing their exposure to oxygen, you want a wide base to maximize contact with the air. The ergonomic hole (aka "punt" in wine bottles) make pouring much easier though and is an improvement on most carafes.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
meanjoeira wrote:This is more of a carafe than a decanter. This might work well with older wines when you are decanting to rid sentiment, but for newer wines where you are trying to trick wines into aging by increasing their exposure to oxygen, you want a wide base to maximize contact with the air. The ergonomic hole (aka "punt" in wine bottles) make pouring much easier though and is an improvement on most carafes.



You don't decant to "trick wines into aging."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Winedavid39


quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

JOATMON wrote:I think WD learned his lesson; I believe that these are coming from Seattle, and WD doesn't have to carry any stock himself.



yes, those were the days.. love hearing from the veterens on this.

lacotomo


quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

Got one for my wife last year for Christmas, she loves it. No chips, and cleaning hasn't been too difficult, thus no need for the brush in this house....i think you might be overthinking it. Anyway, I highly endorse. I don't drink as much wine as she does, but she swears by it..

DSal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DSal

I currently use a Vinturi Aerator, I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Would I be better off decanting? Just curious on others thoughts on 1 vs the other.

Chargerrt500


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Chargerrt500

Finally something that will ship to Virginia. My flower vase "decanter" was getting tacky. In for one.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
DSal wrote:I currently use a Vinturi Aerator, I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Would I be better off decanting? Just curious on others thoughts on 1 vs the other.



We use both, and many use a combination of the two (some Vinturi into the decanter, or vice versa). It really a matter how much time you have. If you are in a hurry or just haven't thought ahead, the Vinturi works, just not always as well as the decanter. Some wines need a serious decanting (6-8 hours) and the Vinturi just can't help much in those situations. I like having both, but sometimes I don't use either of them. I typically like to pull the bottle out of the cooler , uncork it and let it breath in the bottle while we are cooking dinner. That method generally works for me, but some wines just need a little bit more.

Just a note, I have this decanter and like it a lot. It thick, heavy and sturdy, and aesthetically pleasing. I haven't had any problem with chipping, though there were definitely a few minor imperfections in the glass when it arrived; likely just a result of the hand-blowing process.

Also for all those who have issues cleaning it...just don't leave it out over night? Drink the wine, rinse it out well, and your done.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
winefarm wrote:ya know they really do double for a lovely vase..



That's why I bought two of these, now about a year ago...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
MarkDaSpark wrote:It could be that hand-blown lead-free glass is more easily damaged in dishwashers. Also that there is a chance of soap residue that could linger inside, and thus affect the wine when decanted.

As long as you rinse right away after use, I haven't had any issues with cleaning.



Dishwasher works well if you had a filtered wine in there. If not, the dishwasher tends to leave some residue. But, the dishwasher does take care of leaving any spots and makes for easy drying as well.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
kylemittskus wrote:
In for one for my parets.



They don't hurt themselves flying around wasted?

JK ;)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Nice looking decanter. Have had real bad luck when it comes to glass items shipped to me so have to pass.