• 11.8% - Yes, on business or for the military. 163
  • 64.4% - Yes, for fun. 890
  • 9.6% - Yes, I lived there. 132
  • 3.2% - Yes, I was born there. 44
  • 9% - No, I never have. 124
  • 1.2% - Does Hawaii count? 17
  • 0.9% - Probably not, just asking. 12
1382 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Fun fact: When you're in Hawaii, don't refer returning to the contiguous states as "back to the US". They prefer "the mainland".

Where's the "Yes, for funerals." option?

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

Both for business and for fun, sometimes on the same trip. But not often.

fire2heart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fire2heart

Does Canada count, really?

l44fox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages l44fox

Was in Ont Canada many times from 2 days up to a month at a time in the late '60, early to middle '70's. last trip there was in june '81 Would like to go again, my health won't let me.

Apathy0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Apathy0

I am out of the US now...I work @ half the year in the Netherlands.
Northern Europe is lovely this time of year.

divasgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages divasgirl

I'm in the Merchant Marines - I'm 22 and I've been to 16 different countries in the past year for my job...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_drlO5vSU

bblhed

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bblhed

Maine should count, anyone that has ever been there will tell you that the first time they went they probably wondered if they take American Money there. FYI, a lot of places in Maine take Canadian money, they hoard it until the exchange rate gets better.

natedogg828

quality posts: 4 Private Messages natedogg828

Been out of the US both for business (how I voted in this poll) and for fun...and yes Canada counts (not just because I have been there for both business and fun)

126 Woots to date across all sites (now Woot! says I am better than everyone else) including 7 Bags of Crap...snagged a Big ol' Crybaby (#6) to secure my black square!
Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Yes, always for fun (so far, at least; I narrowly missed out on a month-long tour of various trash-processing facilities in Japan and Europe, but in the end didn't go).

Have been to:

Austria
Canada
Mexico
Germany
Great Britain
Italy
France (just driving through)
South Korea
Switzerland

Next year I'll be adding Mozambique onto that list.

Phillystyle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle
fire2heart wrote:Does Canada count, really?

I was going to ask the same thing. Then I remembered all the s%#t I went through crossing the border into Vancouver a couple of years ago. It may be the US when you get there but I assure you thems ain't Americans at the DMZ. Heeheehee

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes

Canada definitely does not count! Have been through Canada countless times, my goal is always to stop as little as possible and never get gas there. What a ripoff!

I lived in Denmark for a few months during college; that sure was fun! What a neat country.

merd919

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merd919

Technically I have been, because I've been to the Bulgarian embassy in DC.

laeggerichs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laeggerichs

I went abroad a lot in high school and college for fun, study abroad, and volunteer work. It's time to get that going again.

earsoftheworld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earsoftheworld

I'd actually like to see this poll if Canada and Mexico don't count.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
curtisuxor wrote:Fun fact: When you're in Hawaii, don't refer returning to the contiguous states as "back to the US". They prefer "the mainland".

Where's the "Yes, for funerals." option?

Same applies to the Conch Republic (FL Keys), they refer to anything north of Key Largo as the mainland.

ekeavney

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ekeavney

Lived in Europe for several years. Have vacationed outside of the US several times.

quark613

quality posts: 11 Private Messages quark613

No option for "studied abroad." (Which I did, twice.)

edlada

quality posts: 6 Private Messages edlada

Next week will be sixteen years since I left the US, been back to visit about eight times. Two and a half years in Korea, the rest in Europe as an Army civilian employee. It has been 4 years since I cut the strings (much easier as part of the military) and went native. I lived in Japan for 3 1/2 years, twenty years ago as a soldier. Also made several trips to Europe for pleasure/family visits before that. I have lived outside the US for a little more than 1/3 of my life.

My dogs like me, that is important.