WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

In Time For Christmas

The Holidays are coming, if you let them. Or, you can be like me, and replace them with the Alcoholidays. They're just as festive, but they pass a lot quicker, feel a lot better, and best of all, if anything really terrible happens, you probably won't remember it. So out with the old-school Holidays. Happy Alcoholidays!

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Go nuts! I need reviews! Specifically on the red and white holiday pack - would these be good to take along for the infinite amount of festive gatherings coming up?

I'm just hanging out, really.

kbsig106

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kbsig106

Can anyone tell me about the DeLoach Russian River Pinot 375ml (6)? I've googled and this is a good deal but looking for feedback.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Glad I decided not to open the Dan Tudor dessert wine two nights ago when I wanted to. If it is as good as I am hoping it is, I would have wanted to purchase more, and that is something I just can't do right now.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

I heard in another thread:

funbunny wrote:The Diablita Red that is up on Woot Plus is a great pizza wine.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Cesare

quality posts: 1646 Private Messages Cesare

In Time For Christmas

One Vines 2008 Secret White 6-Pack
$65.99 (Normally $155.62) 58% off List Price
2008 Secret White Blend, Columbia Valley

Dignus One Wines 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon 6-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $131.90) 47% off List Price
2006 Dignus One Cabernet Sauvignon, Sierra Foothills

Bell Wines White 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $113.90) 39% off List Price
2010 Big Guy White Wine
2011 Bell Sauvignon Blanc, Lake County

Maestral Ice Wine by Dan Tudor Half-Bottle 2-Pack
$54.99 (Normally $86.85) 37% off List Price
2011 Maestral Wein der Eisbox Tondré Vineyard SLH 375ml

Diablita Red & White Holiday Pack 6-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $137.90) 49% off List Price
2007 Diablita Red Cole Ranch AVA Wine
2010 Diablita Blanca White Wine, Mendocino County

Harvest Moon Late Harvest Zinfandel Half-Bottle 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $148.90) 53% off List Price
2009 Harvest Moon Late Harvest Zinfandel 375 ml
2008 Harvest Moon Late Harvest Zinfandel 375 ml

DeLoach Russian River Pinot Half-Bottle 6-Pack
$62.99 (Normally $113.41) 44% off List Price
2007 De Loach Russian River Estate Pinot Noir 375ml

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

Any feedback from anyone after tasting the previous offerings of the Dignus (hope I got that right)? Rinaldi?

Edit: Just to clarify - purchasing for work Christmas gifts.

When exactly will these arrive?

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

Has anyone had the Harvest Moon Late Harvest Zinfandel and the Woot Cellars Vinito del Finito Late Harvest Zin, and can compare the two?

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
coolchris160 wrote:Has anyone had the Harvest Moon Late Harvest Zinfandel and the Woot Cellars Vinito del Finito Late Harvest Zin, and can compare the two?

Yes, they're very similar. Don't know if I would be able to tell them apart in a blind tasting.

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr

I got the Diablita Reds and Whites the last time they were offered. They're very good, simple bottles of wine.

First, the white is not a real sweet white, but it has a lot of nice fruit flavors. There is a lot of crisp pear taste that comes through in the White. It's a very easy drinker (which is what I look for in a white). There's not a lot of complexity there. They're all gone now, but my wife loved drinking this while she cooked.

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr

The Red is a good wine, too. It is a good pizza wine (and a good everything else wine). There's just nothing objectionable about it. It's got a nice nose of fruity flavors, but it's nothing strong or magnificent. The palate is a lot of cherry flavor initially, but it's not a fruit bomb and there's no sweetness. Finally, the finish has a very small bit of black peppery/leather taste from the Cab grapes.

Again, it's a good bottle of wine. There's nothing objectionable about it. When we have company over, we like to use the Diablita Red as a good second bottle of wine.

thegreatgilbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegreatgilbert

Anyone had the ice wine? How is it?

North316

thegreatgilbert wrote:Anyone had the ice wine? How is it?

No notes on CT yet, if no one chimes in, I may have to bite the bullet and open this before Friday morning.

My CT

sandig7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sandig7

how's the cab sav?

molarchae

quality posts: 4 Private Messages molarchae

I enjoyed the 2008 Harvest Moon from a past woot enough to buy another bottle when we visited the winery. I believe it was the 2009 they were sampling side-by-side, and remember having a very strong preference for the 2008. It's probably calmed down with the extra time in the bottle, but it keeps this from being the auto-buy that a 4-pack of 2008 would have been. Now to think about it...

dantudor@tudorwines.com

quality posts: 46 Private Messages dantudor@tudorwines.com
North316 wrote:Glad I decided not to open the Dan Tudor dessert wine two nights ago when I wanted to. If it is as good as I am hoping it is, I would have wanted to purchase more, and that is something I just can't do right now.

Thanks for the purchase! We'll look forward to hearing back!

dantudor@tudorwines.com

quality posts: 46 Private Messages dantudor@tudorwines.com

Greetings Wooters! Dan Tudor here. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the "ice wine". Yes, it's made by "cryoextraction" (Post Harvest Freezing).

Maniac11919

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Maniac11919
kbsig106 wrote:Can anyone tell me about the DeLoach Russian River Pinot 375ml (6)? I've googled and this is a good deal but looking for feedback.

From my experience running a small wine shoppe in Indiana, I can tell you authoritatively that DeLoach is at least capable of making some very good wines. Their pinot noir (though I'm uncertain of the vintage and location; EDIT: I think it was their "heritage reserve" IIRC) sold in our store for ~$16 and was one of the most popular bottles of wine on the shelf for good reason. It was a bit lighter in body, like you might expect from PN (though probably a little heavier than average for the varietal), but had a wonderful silkiness, a bit of cayenne spice, and hints of dark cherry with a lovely amber color. It was a common feature wine and well-loved by many as its balance was excellent with just the right amount of interesting bite from that subtle spice... It was excellent wine, priced very competitively, consistent and approachable.

If I'm not mistaken, these 375's should be just as good if not better. IMHO I wouldn't expect anything less than perfectly enjoyable wine from DeLoach.

meanjoeira

quality posts: 4 Private Messages meanjoeira
kbsig106 wrote:Can anyone tell me about the DeLoach Russian River Pinot 375ml (6)? I've googled and this is a good deal but looking for feedback.

De Loach has been making excellent Pinots for quite some time. I haven't specifically tried these ones, but the Russian River Pinots from De Loach are usually outstanding. Just enough fruit to tickle that bone, but with enough acidity and good old fashioned earthiness that the wines are always in great balance. I love the 375ml format as well.

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

I'd like to purchase the Harvest Moon, but I receive a message saying it won't ship to Virginia, in spite of the fact that Virginia is on the list of states to which it will ship. Please clarify.

North316

hasopt wrote:I'd like to purchase the Harvest Moon, but I receive a message saying it won't ship to Virginia, in spite of the fact that Virginia is on the list of states to which it will ship. Please clarify.

Read why Virginia might be out of the game for awhile!

My CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
thegreatgilbert wrote:Anyone had the ice wine? How is it?

Until I get home and can consult my notes for something more detailed, this is delicious stuff. And that's coming from a dessert wine person with much icewine experience from growing up near Niagara-on-the-Lake.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

omnichad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omnichad

I just tried an ice wine, but not this ice wine for the first time recently. WOW, what a flavor. It's very sweet and very fruity, and very easy for me to drink. And I'm not a huge fan of wine. Most wines are too strong or too much alcohol, but this is like a wonderfully strongly flavored grape juice. A mouthful of flavor. It doesn't have any of the earthy taste of most fuller bodied wines.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
schaeferr wrote:I got the Diablita Reds and Whites the last time they were offered. They're very good, simple bottles of wine.

First, the white is not a real sweet white, but it has a lot of nice fruit flavors. There is a lot of crisp pear taste that comes through in the White. It's a very easy drinker (which is what I look for in a white). There's not a lot of

complexity there. They're all gone now, but my wife loved drinking this while she cooked.

ThnKs for your feedback! Though i have to say i disagree on your notes for the white diablita. I bought the white diablita based on the resisling-sauv blanc blend and the everett ridge pedigree. However, the percent of grapes in the blend is nowhere to be found and after having openned two bottles i am very certain that the reisling dominates the blend because the sweetness is definitely there. I was hoping for a dry, sb influenced wine but got a sweet, reisling wine. Well made, no doubt but not my cup of tea.

"The older I get the better I was"

chaotickinesis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaotickinesis
dalematthew wrote:Any feedback from anyone after tasting the previous offerings of the Dignus (hope I got that right)? Rinaldi?

Edit: Just to clarify - purchasing for work Christmas gifts.

When exactly will these arrive?

I can't comment on that particular wine but, having made several wine orders on wine.woot already, I can tell you that it generally takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. I wouldn't bet on having them in time for Christmas.

Edit: I just noticed that this page is actually titled "In Time For Christmas." Maybe they have some kind of arrangement for these to be shipped in time. Normally, I would not expect them to arrive within 2 weeks.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:And that's coming from a dessert wine person with much icewine experience from growing up near Niagara-on-the-Lake.

PM klez..

CT

klezman

klezman wrote:Until I get home and can consult my notes for something more detailed, this is delicious stuff. And that's coming from a dessert wine person with much icewine experience from growing up near Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Long day at the office, so late notes. Here's my deal with dessert wine and icewine specifically: I don't want it to taste like candy. I need the acid to be high enough to have it taste fresh and bright. Syrupy is a bad thing for flavour (but for icewine it's a great thing for the texture). Now that I've got that out of the way, this wine hits all those requirements. The acid is on the low end of what I'd like, but it's certainly there and does balance the sugar. I noted that the flavours were excellent (but didn't write down specifics...give me a break, it was the last bottle!) and the wine should age gracefully for at least 5-10 years. This is also drinking very well right now and I'd easily down an entire bottle myself.

Strongly considering going in for a set or two. Storage is really my limitation.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew
chaotickinesis wrote:I can't comment on that particular wine but, having made several wine orders on wine.woot already, I can tell you that it generally takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. I wouldn't bet on having them in time for Christmas.

Edit: I just noticed that this page is actually titled "In Time For Christmas." Maybe they have some kind of arrangement for these to be shipped in time. Normally, I would not expect them to arrive within 2 weeks.

Yeah - was wondering if it is going to be xmas eve - or earlier as wanted to buy for work gifts.

btw - in reference to the Dignus - Fred posted, "my 2nd buy, wasn't crazy for their malbec, but the Cab was nice, hench another buy".

Was over on the swami thread - just bringing it across.

UncleFluffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages UncleFluffy
dalematthew wrote:Any feedback from anyone after tasting the previous offerings of the Dignus (hope I got that right)? Rinaldi?

Easy drinking but not boring.

I'm in for more.

North316

klezman wrote:Long day at the office, so late notes. Here's my deal with dessert wine and icewine specifically: I don't want it to taste like candy. I need the acid to be high enough to have it taste fresh and bright. Syrupy is a bad thing for flavour (but for icewine it's a great thing for the texture). Now that I've got that out of the way, this wine hits all those requirements. The acid is on the low end of what I'd like, but it's certainly there and does balance the sugar. I noted that the flavours were excellent (but didn't write down specifics...give me a break, it was the last bottle!) and the wine should age gracefully for at least 5-10 years. This is also drinking very well right now and I'd easily down an entire bottle myself.

Strongly considering going in for a set or two. Storage is really my limitation.

Klez, have you had scott's eis wine? If so how would you compare with this. The wines appear to be very similar in styles and stats.

My CT

klezman

North316 wrote:Klez, have you had scott's eis wine? If so how would compare with this. The wines appear to be very similar in sttles and stats.

Yes, but it's been a while. I don't really remember it well enough to draw much of a comparison. I do recall liking this one better than Angel Ice, I think in large part due to the concentration - I like dessert wines that are concentrated (well, at least wines wanting to be icewine style).

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt
North316 wrote: Read why Virginia might be out of the game for awhile!

Thanks for the link. That is awful. Until Virginia gets its act together, I'll be shipping to my bro's house in MD.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Dignus is bouncing/pulsating/blinking...

Edit: and she's gone. Es todo.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12

Oh help. I wanted to order the PN - but they won't ship to my buddy in OHIO (doesn't EVERYTHING ship to Ohio?) so, can someone help me with info about the zin? I like PN's, generally... but I'm not as fond of reds that are a lot more aggressive than that... (I also lean towards white wines) Where does the zin fall on this scale? I do not have nearly the palate that those on this list do, but you guys have always helped me and steered me in the right direction. I'd appreciate any guidance you might have for me. Thanks.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Shadow12 wrote:Oh help. I wanted to order the PN - but they won't ship to my buddy in OHIO (doesn't EVERYTHING ship to Ohio?) so, can someone help me with info about the zin? I like PN's, generally... but I'm not as fond of reds that are a lot more aggressive than that... (I also lean towards white wines) Where does the zin fall on this scale? I do not have nearly the palate that those on this list do, but you guys have always helped me and steered me in the right direction. I'd appreciate any guidance you might have for me. Thanks.

The zin being offered is Late Harvest = dessert wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12
kylemittskus wrote:The zin being offered is Late Harvest = dessert wine.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

tryzub

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tryzub

Anyone know why I can't get the DeLoach shipped to Ohio, The Wino State?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
tryzub wrote:Anyone know why I can't get the DeLoach shipped to Ohio, The Wino State?

For whatever reason, the winery doesn't have a license to ship to OH.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mkorona

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mkorona
Shadow12 wrote:Oh help. I wanted to order the PN - but they won't ship to my buddy in OHIO (doesn't EVERYTHING ship to Ohio?) so, can someone help me with info about the zin? I like PN's, generally... but I'm not as fond of reds that are a lot more aggressive than that... (I also lean towards white wines) Where does the zin fall on this scale? I do not have nearly the palate that those on this list do, but you guys have always helped me and steered me in the right direction. I'd appreciate any guidance you might have for me. Thanks.

Just a note on PNs vs Zins, in general I would say most Zins are a much more "aggressive" red than a pinot- usually much bolder and deeper. You can get some very fruit forward zins, but even those tend to be more complex. Pinots tend to be a lighter/medium bodied wine and are easier drinkers.

As a dessert wine though, this LH Zin should be fairly easy drinking and delicious! However it is something you probably more likely want a glass of than a bottle of, making these half-size the perfect size!