cortot20


quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

Sparky, For your BIL and Nephews birthdays next weekend I am sending the cash with Jeff for the Mayo Cuvee that we split. Just give him the bottle and I'll catch up with him since he lives near by.

Edit: Chicks dig sparkly things...........like vampires.

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:Sparky, For your BIL and Nephews birthdays next weekend I am sending the cash with Jeff for the Mayo Cuvee that we split. Just give him the bottle and I'll catch up with him since he lives near by.

Edit: Chicks dig sparkly things...........like vampires.



Glad you said something. I'd forgotten.

The Gypsy, right?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20


quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:Glad you said something. I'd forgotten.

The Gypsy, right?



si senor.

CT

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Little late to the party? IIRC, bahwm will get her one at D&D. You know, THE must attend event for PSiths?



Yes, well, you know how it is. You know how much I love hanging out with you guys, but I've got my job's 500 hours of work to do, my wedding to arrange, my move to take place, and HAK to blame for it. I'm swamped.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Yes, well, you know how it is. You know how much I love hanging out with you guys, but I've got my job's 500 hours of work to do, my wedding to arrange, my move to take place, and HAK to blame for it. I'm swamped.



Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.


(Yes, we are using Princess Bride quotes!)


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.


(Yes, we are using Princess Bride quotes!)


Who does that make HAK again?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
polarbear22 wrote:Who does that make HAK again?



Hello.

My name is Inigo Montoya.

You killed my father.

Prepare to die.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Just stopped by to pick up some coffee for office from Java Gourmet at Keuka lake, and asked her about the Meritage brand on her coffee. She said that its ok to use that term as long as its not for wine, and she send them sample of her meritage coffee and the board liked it.

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Hey Chemvictim, sounds like this would be PERFECT for your husband!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
polarbear22 wrote:Who does that make HAK again?



I think that makes him all of Guilder.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
cheron98 wrote:I think that makes him all of Guilder.



Since you are marrying a country, and basically tying yourself to the land, does that make you queen Cheron?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Breaking news: Chateau d'Yquem has revealed it will not make a wine in 2012: http://tiny.cc/of6dpw



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

So I remember going to prager after D&D this past February. And really liking the port even though a bit pricey. Anyway I received a 375ml bottle of royal escort or something like that. Can't remember which year right now. So anybody have experience with that one? If so is it good?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
CAGrl wrote:So I remember going to prager after D&D this past February. And really liking the port even though a bit pricey. Anyway I received a 375ml bottle of royal escort or something like that. Can't remember which year right now. So anybody have experience with that one? If so is it good?



Yes. Not Vincent Arroyo good. But good.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tiger7610 wrote:Since you are marrying a country, and basically tying yourself to the land, does that make you queen Cheron?



Why yes, yes it does.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:Why yes, yes it does.



All Hail Queen Cheron!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
cheron98 wrote:i'll send you one.



thanks, I bwham is bringing me one to D&D. I am still planning on making it, even though we don't know if hubby is working there or not.....
keep your fingers crossed...

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
otolith wrote:Hey Chemvictim, sounds like this would be PERFECT for your husband!



Cool!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

camera saga.. part 2
We made it into town last night, went into best buy... and saw the Canon Powershot 50. daughter loved the extra zoom, tilt/swivel screen, and the way it felt.... so I think the nikon is out....now all I have to do is find it cheaper.... unless any of you camera experts can give me a reason not to get it?

long day yesterday... It was chicken butchering day. We had 25, and with the other families we did over 100 chickens.

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:camera saga.. part 2
We made it into town last night, went into best buy... and saw the Canon Powershot 50. daughter loved the extra zoom, tilt/swivel screen, and the way it felt.... so I think the nikon is out....now all I have to do is find it cheaper.... unless any of you camera experts can give me a reason not to get it?

long day yesterday... It was chicken butchering day. We had 25, and with the other families we did over 100 chickens.



Assuming you are referring to the SX50. Looks like a very nice complete camera. Good focal range. My friend uses an earlier model for all his photos, and he does a lot and enlarges for photos in his home. So it can take very nice images. If she really gets into photography, this camera could still be all she needs.

Check out Adorama. They offer a kit with bag, SD card, spare battery and a small tripod at the same price as most for the camera. They are a reputable firm.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
HitAnyKey42 wrote:All Hail Queen Cheron!



I think we need to find a crown for cheron when she comes to Buffalo

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So my free trial of SiriusXM ends on the 24th and I have a decision to make. Do I just let it expire and no longer use it or do I renew it at the current deal they are offering?
First question to those of you that have it. Is their offered 1-yr plan for $104.31 (after taxes) a good one and really worth it? That comes to $8.70 a month and they advertise it as 5 months Free.

I have kinda been enjoying using it, but I'm still not sure I truly "need" it. The car has Entune as well, which means I can stream my Pandora stations through it using my phone's bluetooth. I'm pretty sure I can enjoy that just as well, with using radio stations as I used to always do. Basically, if the commercials start to bug me I have the option to switch on Pandora....where since I got the car I've been using Sirius for that.

Other options is to let it expire, and wait for them to contact me to try to get me back as a customer. Is there a good chance I can negotiate an even better deal from them, if I wait for that? Probably, I think. What kind of success have some of you had in that regard and what types of rates or deals have you negotiated them down to?

Basically right now, I think I'm leaning towards just letting it expire. After all, I need to save some money over the next year or two and right now this just adds a cost I hadn't yet budgeted for. And it's probably something I can do without, after all I always did without it prior to this.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So my free trial of SiriusXM ends on the 24th and I have a decision to make. Do I just let it expire and no longer use it or do I renew it at the current deal they are offering?
First question to those of you that have it. Is their offered 1-yr plan for $104.31 (after taxes) a good one and really worth it? That comes to $8.70 a month and they advertise it as 5 months Free.

I have kinda been enjoying using it, but I'm still not sure I truly "need" it. The car has Entune as well, which means I can stream my Pandora stations through it using my phone's bluetooth. I'm pretty sure I can enjoy that just as well, with using radio stations as I used to always do. Basically, if the commercials start to bug me I have the option to switch on Pandora....where since I got the car I've been using Sirius for that.

Other options is to let it expire, and wait for them to contact me to try to get me back as a customer. Is there a good chance I can negotiate an even better deal from them, if I wait for that? Probably, I think. What kind of success have some of you had in that regard and what types of rates or deals have you negotiated them down to?

Basically right now, I think I'm leaning towards just letting it expire. After all, I need to save some money over the next year or two and right now this just adds a cost I hadn't yet budgeted for. And it's probably something I can do without, after all I always did without it prior to this.


Pandora - uses data charges and need good phone signal. Actually, i think I get better phone signal than Sirius.

XM - I have XM not Sirius. Same company different brand name. So may be slightly different deals/packages. I pay $77 plus royalties and taxes. Ends up just under $100. So pretty similar. This was the deal after I let it expire, and they have been willing to renew at this deal each year when I call and say otherwise I am going to cancel.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:Ok, question for all your Iron Horse and bubbly pros out there. I just found some Iron Horse at my local grocery store (certainly not known for their wine). I just happened to look at the bubbly section (which I don't normally do) and noticed they have a couple bottles of the 2005 Wedding Cuvee, and here is the kicker, a bottle of 1998 and 1999 Russian Cuvee. Any insight on the Russion Cuvee, anyone happened to have these vintages? Would these still even be good?

I have no idea of the provenance of these items, which bothers me, but that aside, all of the bottles mentioned are being sold for $30.76. I may pick up the 98 and 99 bottles just for curiosity sake, but I'm not supposed to be buying wine right now.

Anyone have Joy's email handy? Might be worth an email to her about how the Russian Cuvee might be holding up.

Just saw this, and thought you might want to visit my post from last July: No one knows the drinking window on wines as well–made as Iron Horse sparklers. I once (inadvertently) held a bottle of their 1991 Wedding Cuvée until the mid-2000's, and despite its having been poorly stored for much of that time, it was absolutely wonderful.
I'd buy those two Russians at that price, but first I'd point out to the owner that they're pretty old, and see if I could talk him down a bit. Truth is, they are significantly past what conventional wisdom would suggest is good to hold them. If you don't want them, and if you don't mind grabbing them for me, I'll send you the $, and I can wait until I'm in your neck of the woods to pick them up.
Joy's email address: joy@ironhorsevineyards.com

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:I think we need to find a crown for cheron when she comes to Buffalo

I don't think so, Tim.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So my free trial of SiriusXM ends on the 24th and I have a decision to make. Do I just let it expire and no longer use it or do I renew it at the current deal they are offering?
First question to those of you that have it. Is their offered 1-yr plan for $104.31 (after taxes) a good one and really worth it? That comes to $8.70 a month and they advertise it as 5 months Free.

I have kinda been enjoying using it, but I'm still not sure I truly "need" it. The car has Entune as well, which means I can stream my Pandora stations through it using my phone's bluetooth. I'm pretty sure I can enjoy that just as well, with using radio stations as I used to always do. Basically, if the commercials start to bug me I have the option to switch on Pandora....where since I got the car I've been using Sirius for that.

Other options is to let it expire, and wait for them to contact me to try to get me back as a customer. Is there a good chance I can negotiate an even better deal from them, if I wait for that? Probably, I think. What kind of success have some of you had in that regard and what types of rates or deals have you negotiated them down to?

Basically right now, I think I'm leaning towards just letting it expire. After all, I need to save some money over the next year or two and right now this just adds a cost I hadn't yet budgeted for. And it's probably something I can do without, after all I always did without it prior to this.



I'd ditch it. You can put your mp3 collection on your phone and stream it via bluetooth to your stereo. Or you can load it up onto a SD card if your car has a slot for it. Or use the line in jack along with any music player. All essentially free.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
klezman wrote:I'd ditch it. You can put your mp3 collection on your phone and stream it via bluetooth to your stereo. Or you can load it up onto a SD card if your car has a slot for it. Or use the line in jack along with any music player. All essentially free.



I don't have an mp3 collection. I've never created one before. I have maybe just a handful of mp3's total, I think. Heh.
Anyone want to share their mp3 collection with me so I don't have to go through the trouble (and cost) of having to create one?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cortot20


quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

Wine cooler thoughts anyone.
I have a fifty bottle cooler that I keep at 55 deg f. Whites on bottom, drink now / young wines in the middle and aging wines at top. The circulating fan is at the top rack. Any thoughts on this? I read something today that I have it all upside down.

CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ddeuddeg wrote:Just saw this, and thought you might want to visit my post from last July: No one knows the drinking window on wines as well–made as Iron Horse sparklers. I once (inadvertently) held a bottle of their 1991 Wedding Cuvée until the mid-2000's, and despite its having been poorly stored for much of that time, it was absolutely wonderful.
I'd buy those two Russians at that price, but first I'd point out to the owner that they're pretty old, and see if I could talk him down a bit. Truth is, they are significantly past what conventional wisdom would suggest is good to hold them. If you don't want them, and if you don't mind grabbing them for me, I'll send you the $, and I can wait until I'm in your neck of the woods to pick them up.
Joy's email address: joy@ironhorsevineyards.com



Well, the "owner" is a publically traded company, haha (Kroger), so the price is not negotiable. I'll stop by sometime this week and pick up the Russian Cuvee's. I will either keep them for myself, share them at a woot gathering sometime in the near future, or just hold on to them for you until we meet again (maybe Wooster in April?); final decision to be made at a later date!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:Assuming you are referring to the SX50. Looks like a very nice complete camera. Good focal range. My friend uses an earlier model for all his photos, and he does a lot and enlarges for photos in his home. So it can take very nice images. If she really gets into photography, this camera could still be all she needs.

Check out Adorama. They offer a kit with bag, SD card, spare battery and a small tripod at the same price as most for the camera. They are a reputable firm.



yup it is the sx50.... thanks I will check t adorama. like I said before, who knows how serious she is going to be... or is this just a whim?

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So my free trial of SiriusXM ends on the 24th and I have a decision to make. Do I just let it expire and no longer use it or do I renew it at the current deal they are offering?
First question to those of you that have it. Is their offered 1-yr plan for $104.31 (after taxes) a good one and really worth it? That comes to $8.70 a month and they advertise it as 5 months Free.

I have kinda been enjoying using it, but I'm still not sure I truly "need" it. The car has Entune as well, which means I can stream my Pandora stations through it using my phone's bluetooth. I'm pretty sure I can enjoy that just as well, with using radio stations as I used to always do. Basically, if the commercials start to bug me I have the option to switch on Pandora....where since I got the car I've been using Sirius for that.

Other options is to let it expire, and wait for them to contact me to try to get me back as a customer. Is there a good chance I can negotiate an even better deal from them, if I wait for that? Probably, I think. What kind of success have some of you had in that regard and what types of rates or deals have you negotiated them down to?

Basically right now, I think I'm leaning towards just letting it expire. After all, I need to save some money over the next year or two and right now this just adds a cost I hadn't yet budgeted for. And it's probably something I can do without, after all I always did without it prior to this.



I LOVE my sirius radio!! can't imagine not having it in my car!!! I also have pandora. but my favorite is Sirius..

joelsisk


quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
North316 wrote:Well, the "owner" is a publically traded company, haha (Kroger), so the price is not negotiable. I'll stop by sometime this week and pick up the Russian Cuvee's. I will either keep them for myself, share them at a woot gathering sometime in the near future, or just hold on to them for you until we meet again (maybe Wooster in April?); final decision to be made at a later date!



I ask for discounts on stuff all the time at a kroger grocery store. Ok, "all the time" is a bit of an exageration, but still. If they have a wine section, talk with the adult beverage manager, or if they don't have a separate one, just go to any manager (doesn't have to be the actual store manager). Getting 10% off is easy, 20% less so, and most "manager's special" is 30% off. Also, at least through xmas, our kroger has 20% off any 6 bottles (better than the standard 10%).

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm looking for a suggestion for an ultrabook. I'm looking for something under 1K. Main criterias: realiability, need good battery life (the laptop is mostly used for travel/school work), good RAM (I plan to run some scripts so 4G is the minimum that will work), and also light since I will be carrying it around. I currently have a netbook but the 2G RAM, and its also kind of heavy which is why I'm considering an upgrade. Any recommendations?

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
polarbear22 wrote:Assuming you are referring to the SX50. Looks like a very nice complete camera. Good focal range. My friend uses an earlier model for all his photos, and he does a lot and enlarges for photos in his home. So it can take very nice images. If she really gets into photography, this camera could still be all she needs.

Check out Adorama. They offer a kit with bag, SD card, spare battery and a small tripod at the same price as most for the camera. They are a reputable firm.



the kit looks good... have you had any experience with their extended warranties?

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:Well, the "owner" is a publically traded company, haha (Kroger), so the price is not negotiable. I'll stop by sometime this week and pick up the Russian Cuvee's. I will either keep them for myself, share them at a woot gathering sometime in the near future, or just hold on to them for you until we meet again (maybe Wooster in April?); final decision to be made at a later date!

Those all sound like good plans. If you decide you want me to have them, let me know, and I can pay for them right away, rather than have you wait until I get them from you.
We're pretty much planning on Wooster again. Probably ought to call and get tickets soon. Maybe even see about a room there, before it sells out.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:the kit looks good... have you had any experience with their extended warranties?


Not with them. Though likely the same company that does the extended warranty from B&H. I have not had to use it. Only problem I had was in the original warranty with Canon, and they were good.

EDIT: I just looked and Mack is the company behind extended warranties that I purchased from other vendors. They seem to have been around a real long time. So I suspect they are solid. Extended warranties are a numbers game, so they make money with the claims.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar