otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

So is it still a Sparky if you know you're going to get it?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

ddeuddeg picked up our shipment of Twisted Oak at our local UPS facility today. It includes:
2005 Torcido
2002 Ferriere Vineyard Syrah
2004 Murgatroyd
2003 Tanner Vineyard Syrah
2004 Silvaspoons Vineyard Petite Sirah
2003 Grenache Sierra Foothills

Looking forward to these!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Monkeys!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:Monkeys!

I grabbed an extra in case someone misses.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I need help again.. please.... My daughter has informed me that she wants to get a "real" camera and take a class next year in HS. She thinks she wants the Nikon coolpix p510.. because her friend has one. but I have been looking online and have found the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 and the Cannon SX40. I can find them on Ebay used at reasonable prices..... Thanks for any suggestions...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Okay, exception on non-Wine.Woot purchases for Woot Monkeys, especially the original ones.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:I need help again.. please.... My daughter has informed me that she wants to get a "real" camera and take a class next year in HS. She thinks she wants the Nikon coolpix p510.. because her friend has one. but I have been looking online and have found the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 and the Cannon SX40. I can find them on Ebay used at reasonable prices..... Thanks for any suggestions...

I've been very happy with the Lumix PNS models I've had over the years. The little DMC-ZS3 I got for ~$100 offeBay can resolve four moons of Jupiter! Reasonable options and great macro abilities.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Not just monkeys. THE GOOD MONKEYS!

PS: Which one of you did this?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:I need help again.. please.... My daughter has informed me that she wants to get a "real" camera and take a class next year in HS. She thinks she wants the Nikon coolpix p510.. because her friend has one. but I have been looking online and have found the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 and the Canon SX40. I can find them on Ebay used at reasonable prices..... Thanks for any suggestions...

Except it's not a "real" camera, since it's not a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex). But then those are a lot more expensive (see last week's discussion).

The Nikon seems to be excellent for distance shots, while the Canon SX-40 HS & the Panasonic seems to be better versatile cameras. So it comes down to what does she want to use the camera for.

If long distance shots (nose-bleed sections at ball games or wildlife shots) then the Nikon would seem to be best.

But if she needs a camera that can do more, then one of the other two should be better. Also, if the class wants RAW format (basically uncompressed pics), then only the Panasonic has that capability.

I have an older Canon PowerShot S5 which I am so happy with. I especially like that I can use the LCD screen from the front (tilt & swivel) or different angles. The Canon and Panasonic both look to have a similar/same type LCD, while the Nikon doesn't (only tilt up/down).

On the one hand, since her friend has the Nikon, she can learn from her friend's experience. On the other hand, if she has a different camera, then they can compare the shots both take. But she might really like being able to take pics (using the swivel LCD screen) of the two of them with the Canon/Panasonic.

You might want to take her into a local camera store or Best Buy and have her compare the existing models, to see which features she likes and dislikes.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Not just monkeys. THE GOOD MONKEYS!

PS: Which one of you did this?

Well, you know it wasn't me!!!

Besides, everyone agreed this would be my tree ...

... that is, if I ever drank my wine!!

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, exception on non-Wine.Woot purchases for Woot Monkeys, especially the original ones.

I missed the monkeys!!!

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:I've been very happy with the Lumix PNS models I've had over the years. The little DMC-ZS3 I got for ~$100 offeBay can resolve four moons of Jupiter! Reasonable options and great macro abilities.

thanks, will check it out..

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Except it's not a "real" camera, since it's not a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex). But then those are a lot more expensive (see last week's discussion).

The Nikon seems to be excellent for distance shots, while the Canon SX-40 HS & the Panasonic seems to be better versatile cameras. So it comes down to what does she want to use the camera for.

If long distance shots (nose-bleed sections at ball games or wildlife shots) then the Nikon would seem to be best.

But if she needs a camera that can do more, then one of the other two should be better. Also, if the class wants RAW format (basically uncompressed pics), then only the Panasonic has that capability.

I have an older Canon PowerShot S5 which I am so happy with. I especially like that I can use the LCD screen from the front (tilt & swivel) or different angles. The Canon and Panasonic both look to have a similar/same type LCD, while the Nikon doesn't (only tilt up/down).

On the one hand, since her friend has the Nikon, she can learn from her friend's experience. On the other hand, if she has a different camera, then they can compare the shots both take. But she might really like being able to take pics (using the swivel LCD screen) of the two of them with the Canon/Panasonic.

You might want to take her into a local camera store or Best Buy and have her compare the existing models, to see which features she likes and dislikes.

I'm trying to do this not too expensive.... who knows if she will actually take the photography class next year...you make several valid points.... I know this is not a "real" camera... but for a high schooler she doesn't super fancy! I don't think she even knows what she wants!!!

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:I missed the monkeys!!!

We will have an extra--once it gets delivered. We could bring it to D& D for you--just remind us before we go!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, you know it wasn't me!!!

Besides, everyone agreed this would be my tree ...

... that is, if I ever drank my wine!!

Well, you can always make this tree with filled bottles.

That way it can function as sort of a yearly advent calendar to drink your wine. One bottle a day, and by Christmas next year you'll need to refill it.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:I'm trying to do this not too expensive.... who knows if she will actually take the photography class next year...you make several valid points.... I know this is not a "real" camera... but for a high schooler she doesn't super fancy! I don't think she even knows what she wants!!!

Thus the suggestion to go visit somewhere they have cameras, so she can look and touch them.

Sometimes you need to actually see and touch what you are looking to buy, so see if it fits your needs.

MarkDaSpark

redwinefan wrote:Well, you can always make this tree with filled bottles.

That way it can function as sort of a yearly advent calendar to drink your wine. One bottle a day, and by Christmas next year you'll need to refill it.

No, you guys are not in my will, and will NOT inherit my wine cellar. One bottle a day??? Sheesh!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mommadeb1 wrote:I need help again.. please.... My daughter has informed me that she wants to get a "real" camera and take a class next year in HS. She thinks she wants the Nikon coolpix p510.. because her friend has one. but I have been looking online and have found the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 and the Cannon SX40. I can find them on Ebay used at reasonable prices..... Thanks for any suggestions...

I bought my brother a nice Canon Rebel off Craigslist. I have a friend that does photography on the side so I took her with me to check out the camera, lens, etc.

If you know someone that can help you check out deals on gently used cameras, that might be a good way to go.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:We will have an extra--once it gets delivered. We could bring it to D& D for you--just remind us before we go!

how sweet.....thanks!!

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thus the suggestion to go visit somewhere they have cameras, so she can look and touch them.

Sometimes you need to actually see and touch what you are looking to buy, so see if it fits your needs.

I know, but you forget, we don't live near anything and this time of year is a pain in the neck to go into town.... all the snowbirds!!!! I just might have to take her in and have her look.....fun fun....

mommadeb1

ThunderThighs wrote:I bought my brother a nice Canon Rebel off Craigslist. I have a friend that does photography on the side so I took her with me to check out the camera, lens, etc.

If you know someone that can help you check out deals on gently used cameras, that might be a good way to go.

thanks... I have been looking on ebay... I forgot about craigslist!

mommadeb1

I just turned on the news.....I hope all you west coasters are ok.... floods and now earthquakes?!!! Be safe!!!

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:I just turned on the news.....I hope all you west coasters are ok.... floods and now earthquakes?!!! Be safe!!!

There was an earthquake?
In CA? Oh, the one way off the Baja coast. That made news in Florida? Must be a slow news day.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:There was an earthquake?
In CA? Oh, the one way off the Baja coast. That made news in Florida? Must be a slow news day.

No, they just report a lot of news in Florida, you know, for the old people.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:I bought my brother a nice Canon Rebel off Craigslist. I have a friend that does photography on the side so I took her with me to check out the camera, lens, etc.

Just the side? Not the front or back?

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:I know, but you forget, we don't live near anything and this time of year is a pain in the neck to go into town.... all the snowbirds!!!! I just might have to take her in and have her look.....fun fun....

Ack! Forgot about that. Especially the snowbirds part.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Hopefully everyone in CT are safe, just saw that there was a school shooting in Sandy Hook. What is the world coming to?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
tiger7610 wrote:Hopefully everyone in CT are safe, just saw that there was a school shooting in Sandy Hook. What is the world coming to?

Updated: 17-18 kids at an elementary school were killed according to early reports. 27 people in total.

Thoughts and prayers to all their families. These types of events are always tough, but this one is way too close to home.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

North316

polarbear22 wrote:17-18 kids at an elementary school were killed according to early reports. Thoughts and prayers to all their families. These types of events are always tough, but this one is way too close to home.

This is completely sickening.

My CT

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
polarbear22 wrote:17-18 kids at an elementary school were killed according to early reports. Thoughts and prayers to all their families. These types of events are always tough, but this one is way too close to home.

Lots of prayers, and hugs. Hopefully everyone that you know pb are safe. I'm honestly speechless and cannot make sense of this tragedy.

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Updated: 17-18 kids at an elementary school were killed according to early reports. 27 people in total.

Thoughts and prayers to all their families. These types of events are always tough, but this one is way too close to home.

PB was thinking about you when I heard the horrific news.... was hoping it isn't your town...

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
polarbear22 wrote:Updated: 17-18 kids at an elementary school were killed according to early reports. 27 people in total.

SWMBO has an uncle who's a Pastor there and has a little girl in elementary school. They are all safe but that community has to be incredibly reeling. My thoughts and wishes go out to everyone there.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
cmaldoon wrote:SWMBO has an uncle who's a Pastor there and has a little girl in elementary school. They are all safe but that community has to be incredibly reeling. My thoughts and wishes go out to everyone there.

Stoping in at my random times to say hey.
Horrible to see todays news.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cheron98

mommadeb1 wrote:I missed the monkeys!!!

i'll send you one.

cheron98

rjquillin wrote:There was an earthquake?

i officially blame you for today's news.

j/k of curse, but you just had to say this didn't you

rjquillin

cheron98 wrote:i officially blame you for today's news.

j/k of curse, but you just had to say this didn't you

yeah, damn, didn't see this one coming. Delete key likely inop and my time machine is, unfortunately, still in alpha test phase.

CT

North316

Ok, question for all your Iron Horse and bubbly pros out there. I just found some Iron Horse at my local grocery store (certainly not known for their wine). I just happened to look at the bubbly section (which I don't normally do) and noticed they have a couple bottles of the 2005 Wedding Cuvee, and here is the kicker, a bottle of 1998 and 1999 Russian Cuvee. Any insight on the Russion Cuvee, anyone happened to have these vintages? Would these still even be good?

I have no idea of the provenance of these items, which bothers me, but that aside, all of the bottles mentioned are being sold for $30.76. I may pick up the 98 and 99 bottles just for curiosity sake, but I'm not supposed to be buying wine right now.

Anyone have Joy's email handy? Might be worth an email to her about how the Russian Cuvee might be holding up.

My CT

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:i'll send you one.

Little late to the party? IIRC, bahwm will get her one at D&D. You know, THE must attend event for PSiths?

MarkDaSpark

Synchronicity - Cheron posting (on FB) about being in a breakfast kind of mood, and then Corrado having the very next post about breakfast being evil (pic of breakfast receipt, $6.66)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:Ok, question for all your Iron Horse and bubbly pros out there. I just found some Iron Horse at my local grocery store (certainly not known for their wine). I just happened to look at the bubbly section (which I don't normally do) and noticed they have a couple bottles of the 2005 Wedding Cuvee, and here is the kicker, a bottle of 1998 and 1999 Russian Cuvee. Any insight on the Russion Cuvee, anyone happened to have these vintages? Would these still even be good?

I have no idea of the provenance of these items, which bothers me, but that aside, all of the bottles mentioned are being sold for $30.76. I may pick up the 98 and 99 bottles just for curiosity sake, but I'm not supposed to be buying wine right now.

Anyone have Joy's email handy? Might be worth an email to her about how the Russian Cuvee might be holding up.

I have told this story many times, so I'll give you the truncated version. Found 2 bottles of '05 Wedding Cuvee for $7 at Staters totally randomly. It was absolutely delicious. I'm sure the wine was stored poorly, sitting somewhere in the back of the grocery store somewhere, but it was absolutely lovely. Don't know about the 98/99, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen