2006 Terlato Vineyards Syrah, Dry Creek Valley
2004 Terlato Vineyards Syrah, Dry Creek Valley
2007 Terlato Vineyards Block 9 Syrah, Dry Creek
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman

SoCal #23 is too busy drinking port and 1985 GunBun to buy this woot at the moment. Maybe in the morning.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

terlatofamilyvineyards

quality posts: 9 Private Messages terlatofamilyvineyards

Hello all. Sorry not to have signed in at the bell and now here to answer any questins you may have. This is a great offering of some of my favorite Syrah's. and I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I have.

terlatofamilyvineyards

klezman wrote:SoCal #23 is too busy drinking port and 1985 GunBun to buy this woot at the moment. Maybe in the morning.

How was the 85 GunBun? I haven't opened a bottle of GB in a long time. I've known Jeff B for many years. Great guy - wonderful wines.

terlatofamilyvineyards

Anticipating that the wine Wooters might want to know how many cases of these wines we made, here you go;

2006 vintage; 2250 cases produced
2004 vintage; 492 cases produced and
Block 9; 451 Cases produced.

Enjoy!
John Terlato

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

How much cellar time left on the 2004? Looks like a drink now!

Any reason the 2005 wasn't included in this offer? Would have made for a nice vertical. Looks like you kept that vintage and gave WW the others since none of the others are currently on your winery website or in your cellar.

Edit - Looks like the 2006 has a short drinking window as well. Any comment on this?

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:Hello all. Sorry not to have signed in at the bell and now here to answer any questins you may have. This is a great offering of some of my favorite Syrah's. and I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I have.

Thanks for jumping on board! I enjoy dark, full-bodied syrahs with tar and/or smokey notes. Are any of these made in that style?

"The older I get the better I was"

terlatofamilyvineyards

bobrush12866 wrote:How much cellar time left on the 2004? Looks like a drink now!

Any reason the 2005 wasn't included in this offer? Would have made for a nice vertical. Looks like you kept that vintage and gave WW the others since none of the others are currently on your winery website or in your cellar.

Edit - Looks like the 2006 has a short drinking window as well. Any comment on this?

This was a tough call - we wanted to offer 6 bottles and it was either a vertical of 3 vintages or 2 vintages and the Block 9. In he end, the inclusion of block 9 won out, which btw, is one of my favorite vineyard blocks.

I think the 04 is drinking nicely now and I think the 06 has more runway left.

winewhiner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winewhiner

I'm in for one

terlatofamilyvineyards

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for jumping on board! I enjoy dark, full-bodied syrahs with tar and/or smokey notes. Are any of these made in that style?

This wine is definitely full bodied and does have some smokey notes. One reviewer described as having "notes of blackberry, herbs, spiciness and a slight note of smoky oak...". Ripe - but not over ripe - small black fruit, balanced acidity with a wonderful long finish showing concentrated dark fruit.

When we crafted this wine, we were referencing the great wines of the Rhone, and the goal was to weave together and integrate the flavors and complexities that make for great syrah.. For me, the art of winemaking involves crafting wines that are powerful and elegant, intense yet subtle all at the same time...giving the wine drinker the whole package.

As a result, this wine is not the "aggressive tanin" version that has appeared on the scene in California of late and this was by design. Hope this helps.

terlatofamilyvineyards

winewhiner wrote:I'm in for one

Thank you. That is awesome. Enjoy in good health.
John

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

John, thanks very much for joining the boards today.

Terlato is a fantastic addition to wine.woot. Great wines, great success and reputation in this wine industry.

and a reminder, all orders will be delivered in plenty of time for Christmas.

losthighwayz

terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:This wine is definitely full bodied and does have some smokey notes. One reviewer described as having "notes of blackberry, herbs, spiciness and a slight note of smoky oak...". Ripe - but not over ripe - small black fruit, balanced acidity with a wonderful long finish showing concentrated dark fruit.

When we crafted this wine, we were referencing the great wines of the Rhone, and the goal was to weave together and integrate the flavors and complexities that make for great syrah.. For me, the art of winemaking involves crafting wines that are powerful and elegant, intense yet subtle all at the same time...giving the wine drinker the whole
package.

As a result, this wine is not the "aggressive tanin" version that has appeared on the scene in California of late and this was by design. Hope this helps.

Yes it does! Another question: do you have a tasting room in DCV? If so, where? Were the grapes for all three offered today sourced from the same vineyard? Where in Dry creek? I am a huge fan of Dry Creek Valley, particularly the big, bold Zins and frequent thea area (rochioli, wilson, bella, bradford mountain/c donatello, dutcher crossing...u get the idea) and curious about both questions above. Thanks!

bobrush12866

terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:This was a tough call - we wanted to offer 6 bottles and it was either a vertical of 3 vintages or 2 vintages and the Block 9. In he end, the inclusion of block 9 won out, which btw, is one of my favorite vineyard blocks.

I think the 04 is drinking nicely now and I think the 06 has more runway left.

Thanks! In for one.

Any shot at making the 2005 available to the wooters who wooted on this deal for special pricing to complete the vertical?

Speed to first woot: 10m 53.773s
First sucker:pmcecil
Last wooter to woot:bobrush12866
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
winewhiner wrote:I'm in for one

Your lack of whining is unacceptable. Try harder next time.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:Hello all. Sorry not to have signed in at the bell and now here to answer any questins you may have. This is a great offering of some of my favorite Syrah's. and I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I have.

This offer in incredibly enticing but as whet typically happens I have already loaded up and am in working the cellar down mode before I buy more.

CT

losthighwayz

For those that follow points

SH from WA gave the 2006 an 86

terlatofamilyvineyards

Winedavid39 wrote:John, thanks very much for joining the boards today.

Terlato is a fantastic addition to wine.woot. Great wines, great success and reputation in this wine industry.

and a reminder, all orders will be delivered in plenty of time for Christmas.

My pleasure. I always enjoy sharing our wines and the thinking behind them.

Enjoy

winewhiner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winewhiner
cortot20 wrote:Your lack of whining is unacceptable. Try harder next time.

nothing to whine about today...however try leaving my state out of the ship to map and you'll hear some world class wine whining

terlatofamilyvineyards

losthighwayz wrote:Yes it does! Another question: do you have a tasting room in DCV? If so, where? Were the grapes for all three offered today sourced from the same vineyard? Where in Dry creek? I am a huge fan of Dry Creek Valley, particularly the big, bold Zins and frequent thea area (rochioli, wilson, bella, bradford mountain/c donatello, dutcher crossing...u get the idea) and curious about both questions above. Thanks!

We do not have a Terlato Family Vineyards tasting room exclusively dedicated to these wines as the idea behind TFV was for us to produce wines from the best of our vineyard holdings and exclusively dedicated to old world varietals. As a result, we have TFV wines from Stags Leap District, Rutherford Bench, Russian River and Dry Creek with another on it way from Santa Rita Hills is Santa Barbara.

The grapes chosen for these wines are from generally the same vineyard area, with the Block 9 coming from a designated vineyard site within our Dry Creek vineyards.

We make a couple of Zins from our Dry Creek vineyards as well and our vineyards are located at the confluence of Dry Creek and Russian River. Really fantastic dirt in which we can make some delicious wines.

Btw, love Tom Rochioli's wines. He is amazing!

terlatofamilyvineyards

bobrush12866 wrote:Thanks! In for one.

Any shot at making the 2005 available to the wooters who wooted on this deal for special pricing to complete the vertical?

Thanks for your support. Ejoy in good health.

I will ask the team at woot if they would be willing to offer the 2005's to those who might want to complete the vertical. Great suggestion.

Speed to first woot: 10m 53.773s
First sucker:pmcecil
Last wooter to woot:bobrush12866
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

HuntersMoon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HuntersMoon

Are any of the grapes sourced from your Alderbrook vineyards? Always a fan of your wines, but I would like a little more detail on which vineyards the grapes are sourced from in DCV.

bobrush12866

terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:

It may be easier to just run a special deal thru your website. I'm sure WD would be okay with that! They're usually pretty flexible at WW. Or include special pricing deal with packing info when wine is shipped. Done quite often with other wineries.

terlatofamilyvineyards

losthighwayz wrote:For those that follow points

SH from WA gave the 2006 an 86

Oh boy...I will do my best not to go too deep on the "ratings" discussion.

SH at the WA could possibly enjoy the high alcohol, heavily extracted wines I spoke of earlier (and this is not a criticism, it's merely an observation). If this is the case, SH might be indifferent to the style of winemaking present in these wines - which I would describe as intense and complex, yet much more subtle - kind of like the difference between Dolly Parton and Kate Moss - both talented, but maybe one is a little more subtle than the other.

My suggestion to those who enjoy wine is to be your own critic and your own judge. There are so many wonderful wines available today - try them for yourself and you be the judge. Why let someone else have all the fun.

terlatofamilyvineyards

HuntersMoon wrote:Are any of the grapes sourced from your Alderbrook vineyards? Always a fan of your wines, but I would like a little more detail on which vineyards the grapes are sourced from in DCV.

Great question. Yes. My family owns the Alderbrook Winery and the vineyards as well. In fact, we purchased Alderbrook because of the quality of vineyards. So the vineyards and grapes chosen for these wines are indeed on the Alderbrook property.

terlatofamilyvineyards

bobrush12866 wrote:It may be easier to just run a special deal thru your website. I'm sure WD would be okay with that! They're usually pretty flexible at WW. Or include special pricing deal with packing info when wine is shipped. Done quite often with other wineries.

Great suggestion. Thank you.

terlatofamilyvineyards

cortot20 wrote:This offer in incredibly enticing but as whet typically happens I have already loaded up and am in working the cellar down mode before I buy more.

Drink up!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

If WineDavid hadn't bankrupted me over the last 3 weeks, I would be in on this offer.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:Oh boy...I will do my best not to go too deep on the "ratings" discussion.

SH at the WA could possibly enjoy the high alcohol, heavily extracted wines I spoke of earlier (and this is not a criticism, it's merely an observation). If this is the case, SH might be indifferent to the style of winemaking present in these wines - which I would describe as intense and complex, yet much more subtle - kind of like the difference between Dolly Parton and Kate Moss - both talented, but maybe one is a little more subtle than the other.

My suggestion to those who enjoy wine is to be your own critic and your own judge. There are so many wonderful wines available today - try them for yourself and you be the judge. Why let someone else have all the fun.

Points are stupid!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

squidward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squidward
kylemittskus wrote:Points are stupid!

With wines, I agree with you.

With Vodka however, bring on the Tito's.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

This is very tempting especially with the 2007 Syrah included. Now if only you guys can throw in some Chimney Rock Cabs to top it off... ;)

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:How was the 85 GunBun? I haven't opened a bottle of GB in a long time. I've known Jeff B for many years. Great guy - wonderful wines.

It was holding up quite well.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

terlatofamilyvineyards

klezman wrote:It was holding up quite well.

Fantastic. I will open a bottle this week.

HuntersMoon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HuntersMoon
terlatofamilyvineyards wrote:Great question. Yes. My family owns the Alderbrook Winery and the vineyards as well. In fact, we purchased Alderbrook because of the quality of vineyards. So the vineyards and grapes chosen for these wines are indeed on the Alderbrook property.

Thanks for answering my question. The Alderbrook property produces some phenomenal fruit. Count me in!

terlatofamilyvineyards

HuntersMoon wrote:Thanks for answering my question. The Alderbrook property produces some phenomenal fruit. Count me in!

Terrific. Thanks for the support. Enjoy these wines - I trust they will bring a smile to your face and to the faces of those with whom you have shared.

mjkilroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjkilroy
squidward wrote:With wines, I agree with you.

A friend from Austin turned us on to Tito's. A great vodka!

jlemos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlemos
squidward wrote:With wines, I agree with you.

Did a blind taste test with 3 other Vodkas. Tito's won every time. Good stuff.

+1

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
jlemos wrote:Did a blind taste test with 3 other Vodkas. Tito's won every time. Good stuff.

+1

Plus Tito is a cool guy and being from Austin doesn't hurt. I have had better vodkas though, but Tito has a very nice QPR.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bobrush12866

redwinefan wrote:This is very tempting especially with the 2007 Syrah included. Now if only you guys can throw in some Chimney Rock Cabs to top it off... ;)

As long as we're wishing and it's close to Christmas...How bout an EPISODE or GALAXY?