mrsaturnian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrsaturnian
kyles wrote:This is not a great deal...it's priced at everyday normal pricing...
Here is a link where you can get it for 19.99 shipped.
Come on Woot....can't you do better than this?

http://www.massbarmate.com/product_info.php/cPath/49/products_id/834

This link goes to a site where you have to order a quantity of 144 to get the price down to $20...

ntegra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ntegra
Geniekid wrote:I bought one of these last time they were on woot. In my personal experience, I haven't had problems with chipping bottles. However, I will say the foil knife gets dull fast - after about 50 bottles of wine it still gets the job done but I usually have to apply a bit of pressure and go around the rim a couple of times. That said, I haven't owned too many corkscrews with foil knives so I can't say as to whether this is a good deal or not.

50 bottles?!?!?! You made out like a champ! Mine was shot when I pulled it out of the box... Couldn't cut the foil on the first bottle. Luckily I didn't throw out my $5 black plastic jimmy jam!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

eq52515 wrote:Well, Lisa gets a 8/10 for that one...she just copy/pasted/renamed the Mahogany/Rosewood. I got the Mahogany (pictured) back in April, the Rosewood has the cutter on the opposite end.

These are a bit different than the ones offered last time. That's why those two look different. The photos have been double checked and they are correct as captioned.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

+1 about being not too happy with this knife from last Woot purchase.

It works, but surprisingly it's rather large for a waiter's corkscrew (I'd say roughly 1.5 times larger than other ones I have) which makes it a bit harder to wield.

I have a feeling it was designed more for style, which compromised its practicality.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ThunderThighs wrote:These are a bit different than the ones offered last time. That's why those two look different. The photos have been double checked and they are correct as captioned.

So the Rosewood and the Mahoganey are the exact same corkscrews? I think that is the point he/she was trying to make. The 1st picture and the 7th picture are exactly the same, yet one is labeled rosewood and one is labeled mahogoney.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I have one of these, and I think it works well. I have given a few away as gifts (and will again this year) and they went over well. They look great in the box: wonderful gift for a foodie.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
kyles wrote:This is not a great deal...it's priced at everyday normal pricing...
Here is a link where you can get it for 19.99 shipped.
Come on Woot....can't you do better than this?

http://www.massbarmate.com/product_info.php/cPath/49/products_id/834

Yea! Who's with me! I'm here to complain about a dollar difference in something I am in no way obligated to buy at all! And I'm offended, I tell you!

eq52515

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eq52515
North316 wrote:So the Rosewood and the Mahoganey are the exact same corkscrews? I think that is the point he/she was trying to make. The 1st picture and the 7th picture are exactly the same, yet one is labeled rosewood and one is labeled mahogoney.

Correct. 1st/7th and the 2nd/8th. Same pics, diff captions.
just fyi.... ♂

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
michaelvella wrote:Yea! Who's with me! I'm here to complain about a dollar difference in something I am in no way obligated to buy at all! And I'm offended, I tell you!

Don't you have some cheese up on another site today?

CT

steelbluesleepr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steelbluesleepr

minus the fancy wood, this is exactly like the $9 double hinge wine key i carried for years as a waiter/bartender.

edit: this style is the kind i carried, i have no clue about this particular model.

Toshiba USB Optical Scroll Mouse – 2 Pack MicroGEM Quick Drive 4GB USB DriveConnect3D 4GB Secure Digital Memory Card
Aerielle Audiobug FM Transmitter
Logitech Curve Headphones 2-Pack

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr

Temporary thread hi-jack...

I have a question I would like to ask of the red wine drinkers, Cabernet Sauvignon drinkers in particular...is there a place for me to do that? I looked under "community" and "blog", but that all looks like woot initiated stuff...Anyhoo, since I've already barged in, my wife's daily drinker is J.Lohr Seven Oaks...can anyone name me some similar wines to try for her? I appreciate it, and, Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

North316

montegobayjr wrote:Temporary thread hi-jack...

I have a question I would like to ask of the red wine drinkers, Cabernet Sauvignon drinkers in particular...is there a place for me to do that? I looked under "community" and "blog", but that all looks like woot initiated stuff...Anyhoo, since I've already barged in, my wife's daily drinker is J.Lohr Seven Oaks...can anyone name me some similar wines to try for her? I appreciate it, and, Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Try asking in the Cyber Pub under the World of Wine.Woot tab.

My CT

jackapotamus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jackapotamus
jbfowlertx wrote:I hate to bring bad news, but if you can cancel your order I'd recommend that you do. Someone else said they "hated" these corkscrews and that they're the worse purchase they've made on woot -- I won't go that far because I like them well enough but they're incredibly squeaky and do have a tendency to chip bottles of wine occasionally. I have other cheaper, and far better, corkscrews and am looking to give this one away.

Also, the quality is poor. The foil cutter hinge has already snapped and you have to hold it in place for it be useful. It's sharp enough, but without the hinge it flops back on itself and makes cutting difficult (but not quite impossible).

It's not terrible, but it's not good either. If you're purchasing it because what they call "teflon" won't make noise through a cork then you'll be disappointed.

Yeah, I really wished that some of these reviews were out before I bought this. I can't risk a chipped bottle... I checked out one of my other wine keys, and they are definitely thicker on the hinge part that touches the bottle. The easy open blade was the selling point. The Teflon thing was just something I heard about in the past. Thanks for the heads up, everyone.

tradinick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tradinick

These were $19.99 in April. INFLATION strikes...

selphish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages selphish

Completely unrelated to today's offerings, but I recently made my first wine.woot purchase. How long does it generally take for the wine to ship? Tomorrow will make a week, and I'm just worrying about whether or not it'll be in my hands before Christmas.

North316

selphish wrote:Completely unrelated to today's offerings, but I recently made my first wine.woot purchase. How long does it generally take for the wine to ship? Tomorrow will make a week, and I'm just worrying about whether or not it'll be in my hands before Christmas.

Not sure what it was, but you will get it before Christmas if you ordered it this week or earlier. It generally takes 2-3 weeks from order date to delivery date for any items ordered from wine.woot (not just wine).

My CT

selphish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages selphish
North316 wrote:Not sure what it was, but you will get it before Christmas if you ordered it this week or earlier. It generally takes 2-3 weeks from order date to delivery date for any items ordered from wine.woot (not just wine).

Thanks for the answer!

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
fredrinaldi wrote:well, you in for three my friend? tempting

Just one of the cheese. Not a fan of the caramels... You?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

kingsleyr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingsleyr

as a former waiter who has opened something like 20K bottles of wine... all I can say is that you want a serrated knife. Or a rabbit like thing. traditional blades go dull way too fast against glass.

North316

kingsleyr wrote:as a former waiter who has opened something like 20K bottles of wine... all I can say is that you want a serrated knife. Or a rabbit like thing. traditional blades go dull way too fast against glass.

You should probably learn how to sharpen them then. A flat blade gives a much nice presentation.

My CT