true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Bought this last Dec. My only notes say "Buy again". Anyone who likes port will enjoy this stuff.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
redwinefan wrote:Reason to buy -

Pedroncelli Port Cupcakes:

http://dev.pedroncelli.com/recipes/recipe.asp?RecipeID=226

Well it looks like I now have a dessert course and the wine to go with it for New Years Eve Dinner.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

amandamanfredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amandamanfredo

My brain:
Pedroncelli... YAY!!!
Port? ... hmm, nevermind.

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy

Hmm very mixed responses on this one... I'm not a huge port drinker, but that may just be because I've only ever used port for gravys up to now. I do love a good sherry tho - Harveys Bristol Cream being a long standing family favorite. Is this similar on the sweetness level? And how long should I cellar it if I purchase today?

I am a huge fan of Pedroncelli, as they helped me lose about 7lbs. Seriously. I only bought the mixed case last time it was up if I promised myself I would drop 5lbs before I got to open the first bottle. And I did. Hows that for motivation?!?

amandamanfredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amandamanfredo

OK, reading through other comments, I now am required (by my brain) to make port cupcakes.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
amandamanfredo wrote:OK, reading through other comments, I now am required (by my brain) to make port cupcakes.

Please feel free to post pictures of yummy cupcakes to taunt the rest of us.

Much appreciated

I'm just hanging out, really.

PedroncelliFamily

quality posts: 56 Private Messages PedroncelliFamily
MarkDaSpark wrote:We had this during the RPM Veterans Tour, and it was Scrumdilicious! And their Port Cupcakes were even better! Glad to add more of these.

We can haz Port Cupcake recipe? And Pickled Zucchini recipe? Pleeze? With Sugar and Spice and everything nice?

Edit: Redwinefan found the cupcake recipe. It was missing a while ago. Now we just need the Pickled Zucchini recipe!!!

send Julie a note, she'll get it for you Julie at pedroncelli dotcom. So, you really liked those, huh?

[mod: fixed the email to prevent spambots]

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
amandamanfredo wrote:OK, reading through other comments, I now am required (by my brain) to make port cupcakes.

I'm with you there. And I even have some Pedroncelli Port in my cellar, so I could theoretically make them tonight! But I think I'll wait until Christmastime.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

PedroncelliFamily

mike808 wrote:How come this can be called 'port' and we were told the KR forte could not be called port unless it came from Europe. And this comes from Sonoma. Wow. Gotta check that autospell on this Android phone.

So whose story is true?

We began producing our port (commercially) in 1990--before the law was changed. We are 'grandfathered' in. The more important thing to look for in CA 'ports' is the varietal(s) being used to produce this style wine. If it's a Zin or Petite Sirah (etc.) it's generally nothing more than fortified raisin wine-gag. I spent 13 years traveling to Portugal on business, and tasted a lot of port wine over those years. This comes about as close as you can get.
One of my Portuguese colleagues called this "the best Port Wine I've tasted in California" High praise from a Portuguese Winemaker who was part of the Port Wine Institute! Push the button. You won't be sorry.

PedroncelliFamily

SomethingGeneric wrote:Two days, two great wines that won't ship to Virginia. What gives?

I picked up the 2006 Pedroncelli when it was offered - it's very good, and a great value. I was hoping to be in for 2 this time (grumble)

We can ship to VA, not sure why it's blocked. WineDavid?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bolligra wrote:Any opinions on this offer vs. the Rasmussen forte on the Plus site? Which would you prefer if you had to choose one?

As I mentioned earlier, I would choose the Rasmussen forte hands-down, any day of the week.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

inkycatz

PedroncelliFamily wrote:We can ship to VA, not sure why it's blocked. WineDavid?

Here's the relevant Virginia thread, sorry Virginians.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
PedroncelliFamily wrote:We can ship to VA, not sure why it's blocked. WineDavid?

It's the new Virginia law linked somewhere above. As this is being through a 3rd party marketer (Woot/WCC), shipping is restricted to VA.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

PedroncelliFamily

rjquillin wrote:I too picked up a pair of these on the rpm tour, but have them entered as $14.25 each; perhaps I got a case discount..? Even at $15~16 here I'll pick up some additional. Like Pedroncelli, like Ed, and how they treat us. Unless their policy has changed buy now and you get wine club pricing for a year from them. What's not to like about that?
Do it, think of the cases later you'll want.

First Sucker: MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin
Last Purchase: a minute ago

Ah, shucks. You are so nice...
And yes, once I get all the Woot stuff into our system you'll receive club member pricing. BUT you have to give us a call so we can add your email address (and CC#)after that, Bob's your uncle!

PedroncelliFamily

Postal1398 wrote:So, winery website lists bottles at $19, times 3 is $57. So this chocolate that comes with it retails at $24??

nope-shipping would be about $16, chocolate srp is $8.50-$9.00. It's a deal folks. If there is one thing we at Ped are known for it's good value.

rjohnson313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
rdkikolski wrote:Anyone know if this dark chocolate contains milk products?

I was wondering the same thing. I can't seem to find an ingredient list anywhere... Most dark chocolate is vegan, so I'm hoping this is as well. Still don't know if I want to pay $8 for chocolate that I might not even be able eat. I'll have to think about this one some more... (although I'm already thinking about the ways I could modify that cupcake recipe to be vegan... mmmm!)

PedroncelliFamily

MadDogOfGilead wrote:SO am I the only one confused why it says 2007 on the main tab but 2006 on the specs tab? Do we have a verification that the specs tab is incorrect? Because if so, then are all the stats such as pH and alc% incorrect as well?

If it is the 2006 I am interested, less sure about the 2007.

No clue why the info is different, it's 2007. And on the whole, I like the 2007 vintage better than 2006- and this wine is no exception.

PedroncelliFamily

amandamanfredo wrote:My brain:
Pedroncelli... YAY!!!
Port? ... hmm, nevermind.

Have you had the port? hmmm. rethinking...

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
rjohnson313 wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I can't seem to find an ingredient list anywhere... Most dark chocolate is vegan, so I'm hoping this is as well. Still don't know if I want to pay $8 for chocolate that I might not even be able eat. I'll have to think about this one some more... (although I'm already thinking about the ways I could modify that cupcake recipe to be vegan... mmmm!)

I am holding the tin in my hands: semi sweet chocolate(chocolate liquor, sugar, cocoa butter),soya lecithin, pure vanilla, and vanillin. So there you have it!

rjohnson313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
slm9951 wrote:I am holding the tin in my hands: semi sweet chocolate(chocolate liquor, sugar, cocoa butter),soya lecithin, pure vanilla, and vanillin. So there you have it!

Perfect! That tips the deal for me. Thanks!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 198 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

mbuotidem wrote:Will this be shipped under the gift-week special offering or the normal 2-3 weeks shipping?

will arrive in pleny of time for Christmas.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cameronpurdy wrote:I recently purchased a few of these (at their winery in Sonoma). I was surprised how much more like a "real" port (i.e. hardened wine from Portugal) these tasted; keep in mind that port was considered trash wine until a decade or two ago, so that may or may not be a bad thing. California port-style wines tend to be much richer and fuller bodied than port, so if you like one of the great big California ports (e.g. Vincent Arroyo -- mmmm!!!), this will be different. On the other hand, if you like a vintage e.g. 1983 port, then you'll find this style to be right up your alley. (I personally like both.) The price is also pretty good -- lower than what I paid at any rate.

The Vincent Arroyo is a PS "Port", not using the regular varietals from Portugal like this one.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

PedroncelliFamily wrote:send Julie a note, she'll get it for you Julie at pedroncelli dotcom. So, you really liked those, huh?

YES! Will send her a note later.

Also changed so she won't get spam, since sometimes the spambots pick out email addresses from forums.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:As I mentioned earlier, I would choose the Rasmussen forte hands-down, any day of the week.

Hmmm, both this and the Rasmussen Forte are equally good to me. Not sure I could pick between the two.

MarkDaSpark

mawy wrote:Hmm very mixed responses on this one... I'm not a huge port drinker, but that may just be because I've only ever used port for gravys up to now. I do love a good sherry tho - Harveys Bristol Cream being a long standing family favorite. Is this similar on the sweetness level? And how long should I cellar it if I purchase today?

I am a huge fan of Pedroncelli, as they helped me lose about 7lbs. Seriously. I only bought the mixed case last time it was up if I promised myself I would drop 5lbs before I got to open the first bottle. And I did. Hows that for motivation?!?

Should be around the same sweetness level, IIRC. And CT shows you can cellar to 2019 (YMMV).

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

inkycatz

PedroncelliFamily wrote:No clue why the info is different, it's 2007. And on the whole, I like the 2007 vintage better than 2006- and this wine is no exception.

The necessary folks have been given a heads up and will get that fixed.

MadDogOfGilead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MadDogOfGilead
PedroncelliFamily wrote:No clue why the info is different, it's 2007. And on the whole, I like the 2007 vintage better than 2006- and this wine is no exception.

Thanks for the reply! Then I suppose I'll just have to pull the trigger - and thanks go to you and the people who raved about the cupcakes

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
MarkDaSpark wrote:YES! Will send her a note later.

Also changed so she won't get spam, since sometimes the spambots pick out email addresses from forums.

Read through the replies and you will find on page 1, a link (http://dev.pedroncelli.com/recipes/recipe.asp?RecipeID=226) for the cupcake recipe.

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda

So, ....
What's Italian for,
"Jeez bro I forgot all about you"
;->

I watched for the UPS guy everyday,....
=================
Flybranda wrote:
I heard Pedroncelli was Italian for Stupid Good -- Can that be right?

HA! I missed this one. You caught on!! PM your address and I'll send you a Wine Key.

You must have heard me present the wines to a wine shop. That's my line!! "These are stupid good prices"!

=========================

That's right, I've been hiding here in a troll friendly dark corner all this time, just waiting for a chance to w(h)ine about the gift that never came.

E 'così triste ;-<

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

PedroncelliFamily

Flybranda wrote:So, ....
What's Italian for,
"Jeez bro I forgot all about you"
;->

I watched for the UPS guy everyday,....
=================
Flybranda wrote:
I heard Pedroncelli was Italian for Stupid Good -- Can that be right?

HA! I missed this one. You caught on!! PM your address and I'll send you a Wine Key.

You must have heard me present the wines to a wine shop. That's my line!! "These are stupid good prices"!

=========================

That's right, I've been hiding here in a troll friendly dark corner all this time, just waiting for a chance to w(h)ine about the gift that never came.

E 'così triste ;-<

Pedroncelli is Italian for "push the big yellow button!"

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Pedroncelli is Italian for "push the big yellow button!"

Did last time, but, alas I can do no more (for now). I live in "The Old Dominion" -- Virginia

Maybe I'll have to connect up with the winery direct, since my nasty legislators have essentially blocked out wine.woot

Again, E 'così triste

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:I too picked up a pair of these on the rpm tour, but have them entered as $14.25 each; perhaps I got a case discount..? Even at $15~16 here I'll pick up some additional.

Just cross-checked my Pedroncelli receipts from the tour with their website pricing. They charged me full retail on all of my bottles, not just the Port.

Guess I got Zahtila'd by Pedroncelli!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Pedroncelli is Italian for "push the big yellow button!"

This stuff is great. True to form vintage port. I got a couple bottles when I was there in July. This is a better deal than I got then I believe.

Speaking of that visit... Could we PLEASE have the zuccini pickle recipe? I have tried making something like it once and failed miserably.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cjonczak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjonczak

Won't ship to Maryland??? --Maryland is listed as an "approved" state under the wine woot rules and restrictions.

jepoole17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jepoole17

Absolutely loved the Pedroncelli Port we got off of wine woot last time around (can't remember when exactly). In for 1, thinking about a 2nd for the heck of it...

inkycatz

cjonczak wrote:Won't ship to Maryland??? --Maryland is listed as an "approved" state under the wine woot rules and restrictions.

We're checking.

Edit: And it should be fixed now. Order up and enjoy!

PedroncelliFamily

cmaldoon wrote:This stuff is great. True to form vintage port. I got a couple bottles when I was there in July. This is a better deal than I got then I believe.

Speaking of that visit... Could we PLEASE have the zuccini pickle recipe? I have tried making something like it once and failed miserably.

OK, OK! here it is:
Zuchini Pickles

Margaret Pedroncelli Pedroni

1 lbs small zucchini
2 medium onions
¼ C salt
1 pint white vinegar
1 c sugar
1 t each celery and mustard seed
1 t turmeric
½ t dry mustard
Wash and cut unpeeled zucchini and onions in thin slices. Place in ceramic crock or bowl. Cover with water and add salt. Let stand one hour and drain. Mix remaining ingredients, bring to a boil; pour over zucchini and onion. Let stand one hour. In a non-reactive pot, bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Pack in hot sterilized jars to within ½ inch of top and seal.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
mawy wrote:Hmm very mixed responses on this one... I'm not a huge port drinker, but that may just be because I've only ever used port for gravys up to now. I do love a good sherry tho - Harveys Bristol Cream being a long standing family favorite. Is this similar on the sweetness level? And how long should I cellar it if I purchase today?

have you tried the sangiovese that was part of that Pedroncelli mixed case? I had two bottles and had to dump both of them. I have never done this before. They were undrinkable. I am wondering if this happenned across the board? Congrats on losing the 5 lbs BTW!

"The older I get the better I was"

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy
losthighwayz wrote:have you tried the sangiovese that was part of that Pedroncelli mixed case? I had two bottles and had to dump both of them. I have never done this before. They were undrinkable. I am wondering if this happenned across the board? Congrats on losing the 5 lbs BTW!

Thank you very much! I never knew 12 bottles of wine taunting me for a week would actually get my rear in gear...

I just opened my first Sangiovese about 2 weeks ago and it was fine. Did you have any troubles with the other 3 types? Talk to woots customer service, they're pretty darn awesome at solving any issues you had with wine. It could be that the others were less sensitive to any heat variations so only that one got cooked...

FYI I've had a few wines that were utterly undrinkable when opened, even when left to breath for a couple hours. I find that they make excellent marinades for long cooked pieces of meat like brisket or potroast. It would be too strong a vinegary taste for lighter meats, but you could try with game birds and venison as they have a more robust taste. Unless you're a non-meat eater, in which case use as a form of weed-killer? ;)

cjonczak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjonczak
inkycatz wrote:We're checking.

Edit: And it should be fixed now. Order up and enjoy!

Thank you for fixing!
I ordered a bunch