5%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare

Pedroncelli Sonoma County Port 500ml 3-Pack and Port Wine Lover’s Dark Chocolate
$44.99 (Normally $81.15) 45% off List Price
2007 Vintage Port Four Grapes, Sonoma County 500ml
Port Wine Lover's Dark Chocolate

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Reason to buy -

Pedroncelli Port Cupcakes:

http://dev.pedroncelli.com/recipes/recipe.asp?RecipeID=226

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

We had this during the RPM Veterans Tour, and it was Scrumdilicious! And their Port Cupcakes were even better! Glad to add more of these.

We can haz Port Cupcake recipe? And Pickled Zucchini recipe? Pleeze? With Sugar and Spice and everything nice?

Edit: Redwinefan found the cupcake recipe. It was missing a while ago. Now we just need the Pickled Zucchini recipe!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

This is not the Pedroncelli I was looking for... But for those in the port market, this is very good! Redefined an already beat me to the punch on the recipe, but it's worth the effort to make those cupcakes. I don't even like chocolate, or cake (yeah, I'm weird like that) and I LOVED these.

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig

One of the best 'vintage' style ports I've had from California. Somewhere I have a bottle with '2018' scrawled on it.

Very much enjoyed the port - not so much the chocolate. Wish it were salty to offset the dual sweetnesses of the chocolate and port.

smittypap

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smittypap

Oh, thank dog! When I saw the headline, I thought you were selling that chocolate wine crap.

Crap

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
hillig wrote:One of the best 'vintage' style ports I've had from California. Somewhere I have a bottle with '2018' scrawled on it.

Very much enjoyed the port - not so much the chocolate. Wish it were salty to offset the dual sweetnesses of the chocolate and port.

So sprinkle a few crystals of kosher or sea salt on it! Yum!

Question for anybody...is this a traditional Portuguese grape port or a Syrah/PS/Zin/#4 blend?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
redwinefan wrote:Reason to buy -

Best cupcakes ever! I also enjoyed the Port and bought a bottle when we were there. Even with our discount, it was $19 per bottle so I'm jumping on this deal as soon as I post this but first I will also mention that while I have not had the Port Wine Lovers chocolates, I have had the Zinfandel ones.

I thought they were very good and did pair well with Zin. They were 72% cocoa compared to 54% for the ones included with today's deal.

Now off to click the big yellow/orange button. WD you are draining my wallet!

chipgreen

klezman wrote:So sprinkle a few crystals of kosher or sea salt on it! Yum!

Question for anybody...is this a traditional Portuguese grape port or a Syrah/PS/Zin/#4 blend?

The four grapes in "Four Grapes Vintage Port" are Tinta Madeira, Souzao, Touriga and Tinto Cao. Hand picked from Pedroncelli's estate vineyards, harvested as a field blend. Aged in small oak barrels for 3 years.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

How does this 2007 vintage compare to the 2006 vintage that was on woot this past April (4-26-2012)?

Besides being $5 more....

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
chipgreen wrote:The four grapes in "Four Grapes Vintage Port" are Tinta Madeira, Souzao, Touriga and Tinto Cao. Hand picked from Pedroncelli's estate vineyards, harvested as a field blend. Aged in small oak barrels for 3 years.

That's what I thought/feared/hoped. Now I have to consider going in on this (or getting molarchae to). I don't recall having this on the 2010 Tour. You lucky ducks this time around!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rdkikolski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdkikolski

Anyone know if this dark chocolate contains milk products?

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid
mschauber wrote:How does this 2007 vintage compare to the 2006 vintage that was on woot this past April (4-26-2012)?

Besides being $5 more....

I can only offer that I used some of the 2006 to baste my thanksgiving bird with...and that, along with a dry brine, made for hands down the best turkey I've ever had on the big holiday. Sadly, I ate too much that day to reward myself with a glass that evening and have yet to get back to it.

chipgreen

rdkikolski wrote:Anyone know if this dark chocolate contains milk products?

I still have the tin from the Zinfandel ones that I mentioned having tried.

FWIW, the ingredients are listed as; extra bittersweet chocolate, chocolate liquor, sugar, soya lecithin emulsifier, pure vanilla. Processed on equipment previously used to process milk chocolate.

Hope that helps and for good measure, here is the nutritional info (again, for the zinfandel ones so may be slightly different);
serving size: 40g
servings per container: about 2.5
calories: 190
calories from fat: 130
total fat: 16g
saturated fat: 9g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 0mg
sodium: 5mg
total carbs: 19g
dietary fiber: 4g
sugars: 11g
protein: 3g
vitamin a: 0%
vitamin c: 0%
calcium: 2%
iron: 10%

EDIT: I found the chocolate website but it doesn't appear that they have nutritional info listed anywhere.

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

I like port. My first wine woot was the 06 of this plus the chocolate in a woot off at the end of April.

Delicious! Of the dozen or so "not sold in the grocery store" ports I've tried, this was the second best, behind some 12 year old bottle of something that was prohibitively costly.

The first bottle went really well with the chocolates, the second was amazing with (and in) some homemade spag and meatballs, and I'm saving the third for I know not what.

That's my non-connoisseur review.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

How come this can be called 'port' and we were told the KR forte could not be called port unless it came from Europe. And this comes from Sonoma. Wow. Gotta check that autospell on this Android phone.

So whose story is true?

chipgreen

mike808 wrote:How come this can be called 'port' and we were told the KR forte could not be called port unless it came from Europe. And this comes from Sonoma. Wow. Gotta check that autospell on this Android phone.

So whose story is true?

Pretty sure they (Pedroncelli) are "grandfathered" in.

Ionitor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ionitor

So, I'm a fan of non-vintage ports, but haven't really tried any vintage. I also lack any kind of wine cellar (or even a basement) to age this properly. Is this deal worthwhile, given that information, or am I better off looking at something else?

SomethingGeneric

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SomethingGeneric

Two days, two great wines that won't ship to Virginia. What gives?

I picked up the 2006 Pedroncelli when it was offered - it's very good, and a great value. I was hoping to be in for 2 this time (grumble)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

SomethingGeneric wrote:Two days, two great wines that won't ship to Virginia. What gives?

I picked up the 2006 Pedroncelli when it was offered - it's very good, and a great value. I was hoping to be in for 2 this time (grumble)

Here's a thread that explains all.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

I say, go for it. This is a lovely port, even the "non-port" people at thanksgiving dinner loved this port. I have a hard time buying locally in CT.

Ionitor wrote:So, I'm a fan of non-vintage ports, but haven't really tried any vintage. I also lack any kind of wine cellar (or even a basement) to age this properly. Is this deal worthwhile, given that information, or am I better off looking at something else?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Here is my notes on the 2006:

Color: Nice dark, garnet color
Nose: Nothing overly distinguishable on the nose. Mostly get the brandy, maybe some ripe blackberries and raisins. It smells like port!
Taste: Nice sweetness on the front, not a ton a fruit, but good hints of dark dark cherries, raisins and some oak. The sweetness is quickly overtaken by the heat and spice and then ends with a nice, long finish that lingers and lingers.

Overall: A nice vintage port, but seems to be lacking a little bit of the balance I was hoping for. Hopefully it smooths out a bit with some more time in the bottle, but even as it sits now, its a great QPR.

I haven't tried the 2007.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I think this may be one of the first port offerings I am passing on. I though the 2006 was a decent wine for the price, though I wish it had been 5 dollars cheaper and sans the chocolate; then the price would have been just right.

Based on my experience with the 2006, the $5 increase in price, and the inclusion of the chocolate once again, this kills the QPR for me. At almost $17 a bottle shipped, I would be buying the KR Forte on the Plus offering over this any day of the week. If the $5 increase wasn't there and the chocolate was gone and took another $3-5 with it, this would be in the buy range for me.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

I'll add my comment on about how good the 06 was and I'll be in for at least one this time around.

I don't like all ports and the ones I do like, tend to be less sweet comparatively. This Pedroncelli Port is delicious and the main problem I have is only drinking a little at a time.

If you are on the fence, I say definitely give it a try. In my cabinet is a bottle of Frank Family Port which I paid $65 for so this is a good deal for equally as delicious a beverage.

denisebatalha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denisebatalha

Yeah, I won't be buying this. I was excited to see "Port" on here, but a) Pedroncelli seems Italian, and b) it comes from CA. I would be doing myself and my culture a great disservice purchasing this wine. To me, it ain't Port if it ain't from Portugal. Sorry Woot!... Try Vampyre again... been waiting on that.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:Best cupcakes ever! I also enjoyed the Port and bought a bottle when we were there. Even with our discount, it was $19 per bottle so I'm jumping on this deal as soon as I post this but first I will also mention that while I have not had the Port Wine Lovers chocolates, I have had the Zinfandel ones.

I too picked up a pair of these on the rpm tour, but have them entered as $14.25 each; perhaps I got a case discount..? Even at $15~16 here I'll pick up some additional. Like Pedroncelli, like Ed, and how they treat us. Unless their policy has changed buy now and you get wine club pricing for a year from them. What's not to like about that?
Do it, think of the cases later you'll want.

First Sucker: MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin
Last Purchase: a minute ago

CT

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

I also purchased this earlier this year and was extreemly pleased with the port as well as the chocolates!!! I would buy this again in a heartbeat if I could get it sent to me here in VA. I am patiently (really impatiently) waiting for something to be worked out with Woot and VA.

fuzi719

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fuzi719

I bought this deal last year around this time (the 2006 vintage). I was impressed with this port, and I'm very picky about ports. The 2006 isn't a 20 year old Ramos Pinto, but it doesn't aspire to be so. The body was a bit light, but overall it was enjoyable and I considered it a very good deal. The only better California port I've had was a Charles Krug Zinfandel Port. But that was considerably more expensive.

mbuotidem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbuotidem

Will this be shipped under the gift-week special offering or the normal 2-3 weeks shipping?

ec04163

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ec04163

Quite appropriate that this so-called "port" has the "The Plagiarist Poet's Wine" right next to its description.
Perhaps some day the US starts following international regulation that we signed up.

cameronpurdy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cameronpurdy

I recently purchased a few of these (at their winery in Sonoma). I was surprised how much more like a "real" port (i.e. hardened wine from Portugal) these tasted; keep in mind that port was considered trash wine until a decade or two ago, so that may or may not be a bad thing. California port-style wines tend to be much richer and fuller bodied than port, so if you like one of the great big California ports (e.g. Vincent Arroyo -- mmmm!!!), this will be different. On the other hand, if you like a vintage e.g. 1983 port, then you'll find this style to be right up your alley. (I personally like both.) The price is also pretty good -- lower than what I paid at any rate.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Question for Ed of pEDroncelli if he stops by. Will we be getting an RPM Tour woot plus deal of your wines? I need to restock on what I got on the tour already!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
redwinefan wrote:Reason to buy -

Also, if you go to Aug 10 of the RPM tour (http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4799952&pageindex=36&replycount=1605), blogger IFTWDSWAFO has a link to a YouTube video that shows you how to fill the cupcakes with the port filling.

Postal1398

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Postal1398

So, winery website lists bottles at $19, times 3 is $57. So this chocolate that comes with it retails at $24??

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr
Postal1398 wrote:So, winery website lists bottles at $19, times 3 is $57. So this chocolate that comes with it retails at $24??

The "Specs" tab has a price breakdown you're probably going to want to read.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
Postal1398 wrote:So, winery website lists bottles at $19, times 3 is $57. So this chocolate that comes with it retails at $24??

It shouldn't since it's just a little pocket tin. Retail does appear to be inflated today

Postal1398

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Postal1398
schaeferr wrote:The "Specs" tab has a price breakdown you're probably going to want to read.

That's crazy! Why would I click on more things??

Still, $8 for a tiny tin of chocolate is madness. Like someone else said, if the chocolate was gone and the price $5 less, I'd be much more inclined to insta-buy.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Any opinions on this offer vs. the Rasmussen forte on the Plus site? Which would you prefer if you had to choose one?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

MadDogOfGilead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MadDogOfGilead

SO am I the only one confused why it says 2007 on the main tab but 2006 on the specs tab? Do we have a verification that the specs tab is incorrect? Because if so, then are all the stats such as pH and alc% incorrect as well?

If it is the 2006 I am interested, less sure about the 2007.