Staff

Poll: Eggnog spiked with wine?
  • 11.4% - Blasphemy! 100
  • 64.1% - I think I just threw up in my mouth. 563
  • 22.9% - I’d try it. 201
  • 0.9% - It’s finally catching on! I’ve been doing this for years. 8
  • 0.7% - Other (comments, please) 6
878 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

papamochi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamochi

Rum, whiskey or brandy in the eggnog wine by itself except in mimosas or similar champagne juice blends

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIEND DRINK WHITE ZINFANDEL!

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

Hmmmm...eggnog plus a nice Tawny Port or Cream Sherry sounds interesting. After all, brandy is just a form of concentrated wine, similar flavor profile. Sounds like I need to do some hands-on research......

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

The OED claims the 'nog' in eggnog was a strong variety of beer. So adding wine? Sure. Why not? At least it's not false advertising like all the jugs of sugary, alcohol-free gunk they sell as eggnog nowadays.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
cole103 wrote:Hmmmm...eggnog plus a nice Tawny Port or Cream Sherry sounds interesting. After all, brandy is just a form of concentrated wine, similar flavor profile. Sounds like I need to do some hands-on research......

Brandy is indeed distilled wine, but I wouldn't say that it has a very similar flavor profile, at least not that I've noticed; nearly all of the nuances you'll find in high-end wines are lost in the distilling process (and the distilling process, along with aging, allows entirely new flavor profiles to replace them in the finished brandy).

This isn't to say that high-end wine won't necessarily make a higher-end brandy than a brandy made with awful wine, but that the flavor profiles generally won't resemble the original wines all that closely.

I agree that a cream sherry and/or some ports wouldn't strike me offhand as awful things to mix into eggnog, though I have tried neither.

jabluszko

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jabluszko

Wine in eggnog? Thank you, no, not for me.
Give me a real Advocaat, though.
Or at least tell me who sells it in the Washington, DC Metro Area.

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan

Eggnog SUCKS!

I'd drink the wine, though.