bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
montegobayjr wrote:Hello, I'm fairly new to winewoot!, and looking for some help. My wife really enjoys J.Lohr Cab as a go-to red. Does anyone know of some comparable wines (quality and taste-wise) that I can introduce her to? I'm pretty much a novice but have been learning a lot just by reading the threads, but hoped for some more direct info. What does the winewoot crowd think of J. Lohr? THANKS!!

Where are you from? What kind of local wine shopping is available to you?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Hey all,

Just a reminder that I've got a Pampered Chef show going. There's still time to order for guaranteed Christmas delivery - Put my name in as host to access the site. (Cat G should be enough).

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
polarbear22 wrote:PM for you.

Replied!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

BTW the (metric) assload of stuff I've purchased earlier in the week is sitting there not shipping... Considering that these many of these are in sales specifically intended for holiday gifts, and Hannukah starts *tomorrow*, Where's the Fruitcake??

We're approaching the point at which the gifts will not reach the recipients before the end of the holiday...

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
mother wrote:BTW the (metric) assload of stuff I've purchased earlier in the week is sitting there not shipping... Considering that these many of these are in sales specifically intended for holiday gifts, and Hannukah starts *tomorrow*, Where's the Fruitcake??

We're approaching the point at which the gifts will not reach the recipients before the end of the holiday...

See, if "holidays" meant, you know, all the December-ish holidays then it would have shipped already. But mostly "holidays" means "Christmas but it's been determined that it's politically incorrect to say Christmas, so we say The Holidays".

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:See, if "holidays" meant, you know, all the December-ish holidays then it would have shipped already. But mostly "holidays" means "Christmas but it's been determined that it's politically incorrect to say Christmas, so we say The Holidays".

As a pastafarian, "Holidays" is offensive because it disregards my holiday, "Holiday."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:As a pastafarian, "Holidays" is offensive because it disregards my holiday, "Holiday."

Ramen.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:Ramen.

That's racist!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:That's racist!!!

Well, I am southern.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:As a pastafarian, "Holidays" is offensive because it disregards my holiday, "Holiday."

How's that noodly appendage working out?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr
bhodilee wrote:Where are you from? What kind of local wine shopping is available to you?

We are in Connecticut; most but not all Vineyards ship directly. We have a Bj's that sells J Lohr cab for $14.99/750 ml. Connecticut, and New England wineries do nice whites, and are getting better at reds each year; but I'm certainly not as fortunate as the West Coasters...

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

You mean Ramendon?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bhodilee

montegobayjr wrote:We are in Connecticut; most but not all Vineyards ship directly. We have a Bj's that sells J Lohr cab for $14.99/750 ml. Connecticut, and New England wineries do nice whites, and are getting better at reds each year; but I'm certainly not as fortunate as the West Coasters...

So most of your purchases are likely to be online?

What price range are you comfortable in ?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

So, if your uncle dies and had no wife or kids and no will, what happens to his stuff?

This is suddenly quite topical by the way

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:So, if your uncle dies and had no wife or kids and no will, what happens to his stuff?

It goes to his next of kin, parents first, then siblings then nephews/nieces, I believe.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:It goes to his next of kin, parents first, then siblings then nephews/nieces, I believe.

What Kyle said. It is all determined in probate court and will likely take awhile thanks to the lack of a will.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:It goes to his next of kin, parents first, then siblings then nephews/nieces, I believe.

We'll find out soon.

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:So, if your uncle dies and had no wife or kids and no will, what happens to his stuff

This can get messy, and much depends on State laws. In CA, after the State takes whatever they believe is owed to them, the rest is divvied up, but can literally take years. Exactly why living trusts came into popularity. And all the assets remain confidential, not like in court where all records get into the public domain.
Sorry to hear this may be relevant.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
montegobayjr wrote:We are in Connecticut; most but not all Vineyards ship directly. We have a Bj's that sells J Lohr cab for $14.99/750 ml. Connecticut, and New England wineries do nice whites, and are getting better at reds each year; but I'm certainly not as fortunate as the West Coasters...

Keep your eyes open. I will be posting about a CT wine woot gathering later today. We would love to meet a new wooter.

I know I have had J Lohr, but can't recall the style to recommend others. CT is limited, but you can still find some good buys. Though Cabernet is harder than other varities.

So try to join us and your wife can sample some other wines.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:So, if your uncle dies and had no wife or kids and no will, what happens to his stuff?

Uniform Probate Code - adopted in it's entirety by 18 states, including Nebraska. here's a summary. Also, that site has all the details... you may want to note Article II. And sorry to hear of your loss.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

spouse, then children, then parents, then children of parents (siblings),then descendents of children of parents (nieces, nephews), then grandparents, then children of grandparents (aunts/uncles), then descendents of children (cousins), etc, etc.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Time for a Connecticut gathering.

See details here.

Hope we can get a few new wooters.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Forgot to post this yesterday ...

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Doc O, PM for you.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bahwm wrote:Doc O, PM for you.

Replied. Keep at it.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir